Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Comerman

holyhead wrote: »
    The losing side will always point to mitigating circumstances. In 2009 Tipp had a player sent off. In 2010 Henry went off injured. In 2019 Hogan sent off. Losing hurts.

Losing to the better team never hurts, like today Tipp put some fantastic scores up either over the bar or goals and were the best team on the day BUT if Richie had to get a yellow like some of the backs should of then who knows what the result would of been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Nice to see a bit of recognition for lower tier teams. Sligo play some nice hurling and seem to be putting a lot into developing the sport. Two promotions on the bounce so it has paid off for them. The crowds might not be there but it doesn't take away from the effort put in by those players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Comerman wrote: »
    REALLY, so both were offences but hogan's was worse? Even though he needed a blood sub

Fact of the matter is,is that Hogan arrived in fast and caught Barrett on the chin with his elbow,simples!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Charlie69

digzy wrote: »
    Jesus, get over it. Ye took a 14 point hiding. Doesn’t happen ye too often

He's not from Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Losing to the better team never hurts, like today Tipp put some fantastic scores up either over the bar or goals and were the best team on the day BUT if Richie had to get a yellow like some of the backs should of then who knows what the result would of been

In a sense us getting to the final was a fine achievement. Nobody expected that. We have something to build on. The sending off is a legitimate talking point. The outcome is as it is but if we can learn from this we can emerge the wiser for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The sending off is all people are talking about!

Only cause some (Kilkenny people) are trying to say he shouldn’t have been sent off or blame Barrett. Every expert on the Sunday game bar again the Kilkenny ones have said the ref had no option but give a red. Shefflin and Tyrell obviously played with Hogan and their partiality went out the window.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Seeing an ad for the Rose of Tralee after the Hurling Championship has finished still feels weird to me.

Fact of the matter is,is that Hogan arrived in fast and caught Barrett on the chin with his elbow,simples!!!

And another fact is that Barrett caught Richie straight on in the face with his hurly enough to draw blood , or was that an accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

The losing side will always point to mitigating circumstances. In 2009 Tipp had a player sent off. In 2010 Henry went off injured. In 2019 Hogan sent off. Losing hurts.

Ye'd still have been beat up a stick

Only cause some (Kilkenny people) are trying to say he shouldn’t have been sent off or blame Barrett. Every expert on the Sunday game bar again the Kilkenny ones have said the ref had no option but give a red. Shefflin and Tyrell obviously played with Hogan and their partiality went out the window.

Look we all have our allegiances. We, in KK, feel the sending off spoiled the occasion and influenced the outcome of the game given how early it occured. Tipp cream their pants when they beat KK it's the nature of local rivlary. It's the highlight of their year. Let's see this Tipp side do what they haven't done since 64/65 and put two titles back to back.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »

The first 20 minutes showed that alright. No one knows, enjoy the celebration

Look we all have our allegiances. We, in KK, feel the sending off spoiled the occasion and influenced the outcome of the game given how early it occured. Tipp cream their pants when they beat KK it's the nature of local rivlary. It's the highlight of their year. Let's see this Tipp side do what they haven't done since 64/65 and put two titles back to back.

Hogan is the blame for that.

Hogan is the blame for that.

I'd say Barrett will have some Hollywood agents coming his way :D

And another fact is that Barrett caught Richie straight on in the face with his hurly enough to draw blood , or was that an accident?

The connection with the hurl on Hogan’s faceguard ,was a swipe but cannot excuse Hogan going in full tilt and connecting with elbow,watch the replays!!!

I'd say Barrett will have some Hollywood agents coming his way :D

Hogan is still the man to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nothing wrong with allegiances as everyone has their county. It was a correct sending off and to argue otherwise based on spurious arguments is silly. Limerick in my view are the best team in the country but didn’t perform as happens just like Tipp didn’t against them in Munster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm a Tipp fan and feel it spoiled the occasion as well but Hogan struck a player across the face and that's a red card offence.

I wouldn't worry about winning back to back titles, time to celebrate this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

The connection with the hurl on Hogan’s faceguard ,was a swipe but cannot excuse Hogan going in full tilt and connecting with elbow,watch the replays!!!

Would you consider it inconsistent to give a red for one, but not a yellow for the other ?

Would you consider it material if the player who should have been given the yellow could already have had at least another one ? - there's an obvious consequence to that.

I did and still cannot excuse a "swipe" on someone's head as much as I think Richie should of got a red.

• Advertisement

The first 20 minutes showed that alright. No one knows, enjoy the celebration

I'm from Galway so completely neutral but ye were already in trouble before the sending off. Tipp had reeled in a 5 point lead in 7 or 8 mins and had a stone wall penalty dismissed for a clothesline on Callinan. They only got better from there. Kilkenny have a few passengers they need to replace. You can't rely on passion and ferocity every day. It only takes one or two lads to be off the script and it falls apart. Today was one of those days.

marvin80 wrote: »
    I'm a Tipp fan and feel it spoiled the occasion as well but Hogan struck a player across the face and that's a red card offence.

Congrats on your victory but to be taken seriously as a great side and in pursuit of local immortality you need to win back to back all ireland's.

Nobody is answering how Richie got a bloody nose with a helmet on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

The Sunday game team of the year spread out amongst 5 teams - a bit more variety than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

Enjoy yere one in a row.

Im sure they will. Its been four years in a row now since Kilkenny have enjoyed it.

marvin80 wrote: »

Congrats on your victory but to be taken seriously as a great side and in pursuit of local immortality you need to win back to back all ireland's.

Jeez the cats are sour about this one. I doubt they give a crap about great teams tonight. They were the best in 2019 anyway.

Sure that's nothing twas only a swipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

blackcard wrote: »
    Sideline should have been to Kilkenny

Christ I’ve heard it all now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Retaliation or not, Hogan deserved a straight red. No question. Did Barrett milk it? Oh yes. He knew what he was at. The ref very nearly bottled the decision too. Playacting is not a nice thing to see in a hurling match but so be it. I think Tipp would have won anyway. All 4 of their subs scored which is impressive.

I'd say Limerick are kicking themselves. I think they would have beaten Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Was there many tickets for sale around Croke Park today, was it possible to pick up a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

RMAOK wrote: »
    The Sunday game team of the year spread out amongst 5 teams - a bit more variety than normal.

Like the panel....
    I'm not a fan of current players being on sunday game , waste of time having them on it.

Don't worry any Tipp team that wins an All-Ireland gets immortality in the most important place and that's Tipperary.

Richie got a slap from Barrett apparently. The ref should have taken action. Callanan should have gotten a penalty as well. Neither happened - not much you can do about it now.

• Advertisement

Seadin wrote: »
    Im sure they will. Its been four years in a row now since Kilkenny have enjoyed it.

Could be worse.

Could be fourteen years.

Couldn't it ?

;)

Would you consider it inconsistent to give a red for one, but not a yellow for the other ?

Would you consider it material if the player who should have been given the yellow could already have had at least another one ? - there's an obvious consequence to that.

I agree with you there when your talking about the specifics of the card issue,but as I already eluded to earlier Hogan did himself no favours ,going in fast and catching Barret on the chin with his elbow

slegs wrote: »

If you were following this thread more assiduously, you would have heard it at the time. Discussed here at length.

Get up to speed, eh ?

Jeez the cats are sour about this one. I doubt they give a crap about great teams tonight. They were the best in 2019 anyway.

I would disagree with the sour. We were surprised to find ourselves in the final so in a sense it's been a good year for us. We clearly view the sending off as contentious. Tipp see it otherwise I expect. I expect Sheedy does give a hoot about great teams. He has the honour of being a multiple winning manager and a back to back would elevate his status in Tipp and nationally.

The KK lads should all head up from the hotel, get the keys to croker, let Richie take the sideline and play it out as it should have happened. Right the wrong

I addressed that incident.

I addressed that incident.

If so I haven't seen it!

The KK lads should all head up from the hotel, get the keys to croker, let Richie take the sideline and play it out as it should have happened. Right the wrong

No need. The right team won on that day, as they did today.

Could be worse.

Could be fourteen years.

Couldn't it ?

;)

Ah well we just haven't been good enough i can accept.

If so I haven't seen it!

He said "Hogan is still the man to blame"
    fkuc knows what that means.

• Advertisement

I would disagree with the sour. We were surprised to find ourselves in the final so in a sense it's been a good year for us. We clearly view the sending off as contentious. Tipp see it otherwise I expect. I expect Sheedy does give a hoot about great teams. He has the honour of being a multiple winning manager and a back to back would elevate his status in Tipp and nationally.

I think everyone bar KK think it was a sending off and in no way contentious. Everyone on the panel bar Tyrell thought so too.

No need. The right team won on that day, as they did today.

You wouldn't think it with the amount of moaning going on. It wasn't even a close game. It was a hammering.

If so I haven't seen it!

You'll just have to go back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Never thought Kilkenny fans were ones for sour grapes but this one obviously has hurt deep

He made a bad tackle and got sent off for it.

You wouldn't think it with the amount of moaning going on. It wasn't even a close game. It was a hammering.

Facilitated by a sending off.

Seadin wrote: »
    Ah well we just haven't been good enough i can accept.

You have no choice only to accept that ye haven't been good enough to win.

You should also accept that ye haven't been good enough that you can afford to be sniping at anyone else, let alone a county that has won EIGHT :eek: in the meantime.

:D

I think everyone bar KK think it was a sending off and in no way contentious. Everyone on the panel bar Tyrell thought so too.

Tyrell looked like an idiot with his view - it was very satisfying.

I find it strange that kilkenny fans are surprised to get to a final. They always get there even with less talented teams through the decades. I cant see Cody staying on. He's been highly successful with kilkenny but i think he isn't going to win another All Ireland with Kilkenny. I don't say that as an insult i just dont think he wont get anymore out of this panel of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭blackcard

I was referring to the Limerick Kilkenny semi final when Paul Murphy went to clear the ball and was blocked by a Limerick player and the sideline was given to Limerick. From the sideline, the ball was deflected by Cillian Buckley and incorrectly waved wide

Advertisement