Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for breastcheck - how to not worry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Getting ready to go to the clinic this morning. Went to doctor with a lump and doctor referred me of to clinic in Limerick. Stomach is in bits, just want to get it over with now.

Best of luck. It's great appointment is today you will know alot more in just a few hours .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

best of luck to all the ladies here who are waiting for an appointment or going through treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just thought I'd add my experience into the mix.
    I went to the Dr Monday with a lump and he visibly panicked that it was something serious from the feel, started ringing the hospital in front on me for an urgent appointment and I felt sure it would not be good news from his reaction. I was seen in the hospital 24 hrs later had my scans and ultrasound and it turned out it was a cyst that felt particularly hard and strange.
    All fine though, no need to worry.
    I didn't find the mammogram uncomfortable really, any discomfort lasts seconds and it's not pain. Also having the cyst aspirated was as good as painless, just a tiny momentary prick.
    I am immensely relieved and also surprised that my GP was mistaken. So I'm writing this for anyone reading in the same position, even if it looks very worrysome it can still be ok and the testing isn't painful or frightening either.

Read back on some posts and realise how fortunate I am. Hoping the best for all who were not so lucky, ye sound like amazing ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Just thought I'd add my experience into the mix.
    I went to the Dr Monday with a lump and he visibly panicked that it was something serious from the feel, started ringing the hospital in front on me for an urgent appointment and I felt sure it would not be good news from his reaction. I was seen in the hospital 24 hrs later had my scans and ultrasound and it turned out it was a cyst that felt particularly hard and strange.
    All fine though, no need to worry.
    I didn't find the mammogram uncomfortable really, any discomfort lasts seconds and it's not pain. Also having the cyst aspirated was as good as painless, just a tiny momentary prick.
    I am immensely relieved and also surprised that my GP was mistaken. So I'm writing this for anyone reading in the same position, even if it looks very worrysome it can still be ok and the testing isn't painful or frightening either.

Read back on some posts and realise how fortunate I am. Hoping the best for all who were not so lucky, ye sound like amazing ladies.

Delighted you had a good outcome. I'd say even with the good result you were/are still shook up by it. Those few hours in assessment are life changing. Lovely to hear some good stories, look after yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Leogirl wrote: »
    Delighted you had a good outcome. I'd say even with the good result you were/are still shook up by it. Those few hours in assessment are life changing. Lovely to hear some good stories, look after yourself x

You are so right, it was a very intense experience, I feel like I'm about to cry all day today even though I'm so grateful. I think it'll make me reevaluate a few things.
    I wish you had been so fortunate. I rediscovered saying some prayers yesterday so I will remember you and your little person. That must've been a terrible blow to come when pregnant. Your post gave me some heart though that things can be ok even if not ok. You're obviously some lady and I really appreciate your kindness and that you shared your story. So important to hear from someone who gets through the REALLY tough stuff. Good luck and take care of you! x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

GP felt I needed to have a mammogram, as I have had pain in the same place, same breast for the past three years. It is most likely due to my cycle and changing hormones, as i am 51.Got letter today for appointment in St. James Hospital, and it is not until 4th May! I don't think my nerves will stick it. What if there is really anything wrong? Why is the wait so long for something that could be life-threatening? Is this wait longer than average, does anyone know.
    Thanks

GP felt I needed to have a mammogram, as I have had pain in the same place, same breast for the past three years. It is most likely due to my cycle and changing hormones, as i am 51.Got letter today for appointment in St. James Hospital, and it is not until 4th May! I don't think my nerves will stick it. What if there is really anything wrong? Why is the wait so long for something that could be life-threatening? Is this wait longer than average, does anyone know.
    Thanks

Hi, sorry you're going through this stress and worry. It's horrible.

If it's any consolation, my gp wanted me to go in immediately for assessment. Sent the fax there and then. So I think she knew it was bad. Most people I talked to were seem fairly fast but these were women I talked to in hospital or a group. Guess the docs knew . So I think its probably a good sign but it is disgraceful that you have to wait so long.

Hope you can get it sorted sooner and put it out of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Thanks

Hi , I went to St. James also in September ,as I have Fibrocystic breast disease , lots and lots of cysts basically , and a Fibroadenoma. Went back to my own GP at the beginning of November as I had a noticeable lump , and my appointment this time was for February 6th gone ! I think the Doctors have a fair idea when they examine us whether it is extremely urgent or not , as Leo girl has said .

Have no advice really except try not stress too much , if you can , take care :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Hi , I went to St. James also in September ,as I have Fibrocystic breast disease , lots and lots of cysts basically , and a Fibroadenoma. Went back to my own GP at the beginning of November as I had a noticeable lump , and my appointment this time was for February 6th gone ! I think the Doctors have a fair idea when they examine us whether it is extremely urgent or not , as Leo girl has said .

Have no advice really except try not stress too much , if you can , take care :)
    I agree with this. If you need to be seen urgently based on the GP's assessment they will expedite it and you will be seen swiftly.

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind re- assurances.
    That does make me feel a little bit better.
    Sincerely hope you are all doing okay. =

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Hi everyone. Have just found this thread. I have an appointment in the breast clinic in two weeks and I'm in absolute bits.
    Blood tests came back clear and the gp says she's not concerned but would send me for an appointment.
    I've got myself into an awful state in the last couple of weeks. I've convinced myself that's it's going to be bad news.
    My partner's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of months ago and I'm absolutely terrified that I'm facing the same thing.
    Never been so scared in my life.

Best of luck RhubarbCrumble.

It's very very worrying I know but your gp was positive and just try and focus on that.

I wish you all the best and just try and distract yourself when you think of it .

It's a horrible time and best wishes to you.

Edit to add, is a lump 3 years ago and it was all fine thankfully. Very hard not to worry but my gp was adamant is was only precautionary and I tried to focus just in that. But it's some relief when all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Since your blood test came back clear I wouldn't worry.
    I had mammogram earlier this year. Very reassuring getting clear results.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I can only echo what others have said , try not to worry too much , easier said than done I know !

The Clinics are brilliant , understanding and explain everything to you , have been numerous times tbh :)

Best of luck .

RhubarbCrumble, everyone is correct, and it seems your GP is dotting 'i's' and crossing 't's', so don't worry. I was in the same boat, assuming the worst, as I had a hard lump size of a pea. Only a cyst, filled with fluid, very common at any age.
    Your GP is only covering him/herself, and must in this day and age, with so much litigation etc. However, my experience of going to the clinic was actually life-changing for me, in that I quit alcohol because of its associations with cancers, and I started eating healthier and exercised more. Never felt better! But the experience did make me think twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I haven't read all the posts but just want to give my experience.
    Found a lump in my breast 12 years ago, had an excruciating 6 month wait (I had to call them in the end to be seen). The lump I had was small but grew to the size of a walnut so I was worried.
    It ended up benign thankfully.

This January my doctor found 2 lumps in my other breast. She marked me as urgent because of my age and said I'd probably be seen in 2 weeks. Was then waiting 4 months to be seen!

I went to the Breast clinic in Galway and thought their service was fantastic.
    The doctor told me that 9 times out of 10 lumps are benign cysts - so for anyone worrying, please do consider this.

My only gripe was the ridiculously long wait. When I told the doctor the lumps were found in January, she couldn't believed I had waited so long.

Its actually scary to think that someone who actually had breast cancer would have to wait that long for a diagnosis. Imagine what 4 months could do to a prognosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I haven't read all the posts but just want to give my experience.
    Found a lump in my breast 12 years ago, had an excruciating 6 month wait (I had to call them in the end to be seen). The lump I had was small but grew to the size of a walnut so I was worried.
    It ended up benign thankfully.

This January my doctor found 2 lumps in my other breast. She marked me as urgent because of my age and said I'd probably be seen in 2 weeks. Was then waiting 4 months to be seen!

I went to the Breast clinic in Galway and thought their service was fantastic.
    The doctor told me that 9 times out of 10 lumps are benign cysts - so for anyone worrying, please do consider this.

My only gripe was the ridiculously long wait. When I told the doctor the lumps were found in January, she couldn't believed I had waited so long.

Its actually scary to think that someone who actually had breast cancer would have to wait that long for a diagnosis. Imagine what 4 months could do to a prognosis?

Where do you live? I had an 8 day wait in Cork city. 4 months is mad.

pwurple wrote: »
    Where do you live? I had an 8 day wait in Cork city. 4 months is mad.

I've heard recently that Galway/mayo region have longish waits but I think Donegal had a 9 month wait... that's bloody barbaric

Add link

http://www.thejournal.ie/breast-check-clinic-3479079-Jul2017/

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/05/30/donegal-woman-waiting-over-200-days-for-breast-clinic-appointment/

I actually wouldn't have made it. I was told if i hadn't been treated as soon as i was, within 6 months it would be palliative care not a cure. It grew from 3cms to 6 in just 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Leogirl wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't have made it. I was told if i hadn't been treated as soon as i was, within 6 months it would be palliative care not a cure. It grew from 3cms to 6 in just 6 weeks.

Jesus - when I had mine I was referred within 2 weeks from Sligo to St Vincent's Breast Clinic in Dublin - I was told that it would be quicker through Dublin than Galway. That was about 3 years ago (I think) so things may have slowed down since. Though for me all was clear thankfully - but in the future if needed I'd definitely chose to be referred to Dublin over Galway - it's actually quicker to get there too by road or rail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Lisha wrote: »
    I've heard recently that Galway/mayo region have longish waits but I think Donegal had a 9 month wait... that's bloody barbaric

Add link

http://www.thejournal.ie/breast-check-clinic-3479079-Jul2017/

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/05/30/donegal-woman-waiting-over-200-days-for-breast-clinic-appointment/

Yes I'm from that region.
    My mum is waiting on surgery for her nose since January and Galway is just overwhelmed with patients.

Went to the clinic this morning and came out in tears due to the rudest consultant I've ever met.
    When I went in, I was really anxious and met a very nice doctor who could see how worried I was. She examined me first, then asked if it was okay if the medical student present did. I was fine with that. The student was nice too and the nurse was lovely.
    After examination the doctor said she was going to get the consultant to have a look but that routine and nothing to worry about.
    He came in, really brusque and didn't want to listen to anything I had to say. I asked if I could have an ultrasound done (for peace of mind and because my gp had said they might do one) and he said he had forty people in the waiting room, he decided who got what done and the patient didn't get to 'demand' what they wanted.
    He said I'd get an appointment out for a mammogram in 4-8 weeks and results would take another 3-4 weeks. He didn't seem particularly concerned yet I'm really worried as to why he's decided to do a mammogram then.
    I managed to get an appointment with my gp this afternoon. He could see how upset I was and he's going to arrange an appointment for me in a private hospital. He said I should be able to get a mammogram and/or ultrasound hopefully within the next week or two.
    I'm in absolute bits. I'm crying my eyes out and I'm terrified of what the outcome might be.

Oh you poor thing!! Where are you attending?  I would actually make a complaint.
    I do really think they know when its cancer - most people I know that have/had it, they were seen pretty much straight away.  Within days or even on the day.  My own experience - my GP felt the lump & sent off for an appointment immediately.  I met my breast nurse & surgeon - she had a feel & I was sent straight down for ultrasound, mammogram & biopsy.  I didnt even have to wait for results, I was brought back up to clinic & she told us there an then. I was 37 weeks pregnant & I would think they could have easily mistaken it for lumpy pregnant boobs but they knew. Basically I'm trying to say if they thought it was cancer, they wouldnt make you wait.  Try to relax, so far everyone has told you its most likely ok - they dont do that if they think it might be cancer.
    And I've not heard of a 3-4 week wait for mammogram results - a week maybe!! Really, what hospital is this??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can only go on my mother's experience but she was seen fairly swiftly. She was sent from her GP straight to the symptomatic centre so she bypassed the first step completely they were that sure. There she had a biopsy. She got a call a week later to have another biopsy as the results from the first one weren't apparent enough.
    We were then called in a few days later and told it was indeed cancer but it wasn't as bad as they first thought but it was still gone past the initial stage and into the lymph nodes.
    This was in the Galway centre and I thought they were all amazing. They wanted to get Mam in and on treatment as quick as they could so they really don't waste time if they know it's precious (from my experience anyway)
    She got her treatment plan and she was put on a trial drug about two weeks later.

This was in the regional in Limerick. I got a call from my GP earlier. He said he actually could send me back there privately but he won't for a couple of reasons. One because he can understand that I don't want to meet that particular consultant again and two because apparently they're a consultant down at the moment so it would be a longer waiting time anyway.
    So he's said it'll either be the Bons in Cork or the Galway Clinic. Has anyone here attended either?
    My GP says he's NOT overly concerned but can understand why I'd like a mammogram/ultrasound for reassurance.
    He also said that horrible as the consultant was yesterday I should look on it as a good thing because if he thought it was anything serious he'd have taken more action.
    Also he told me that any woman over 35 (I'm 38) who attends the breast clinic in Limerick (don't know about the others) is AUTOMATICALLY given an appointment for a mammogram at some stage. It's just routine. If the consultant had told me that yesterday then I wouldn't have spent last night worrying about why I was being brought back for one!
    GP is trying his best to reassure me that he thinks it will all be okay but I suppose I just won't relax until I have the tests done. Hopefully I'll only have to wait a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Belle86

Hi,

Very reassuring reading posts here. I have a lump and some swollen lymph nodes. The nodes give pain. I actually only thought it was them and was waiting for them to disappear ... then I found the lump. Has anyone else experienced it in this way... what was the outcome?

(Also, I am not waiting for it to go away anymore... I saw my GP on Friday and she put an urgent referral through to the breast clinic.)

My gp referred me to the breast clinic in The Mater Hospital.

Some nodules / lumps in each breast.

I thought maybe this thread might be a place for anybody else waiting or where you're worried but not at a critical stage that we could help each other?

Share tips for distractions, or even post your thoughts or concerns if you don't or can't share them with real life people.

How did this turn out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got an emergency referral to Mater same day as my cousin died (at 40) the week before I found a lump. Thankfuĺly all ok. But it took my gp pulling a few strings

amtc wrote: »
    I got an emergency referral to Mater same day as my cousin died (at 40) the week before I found a lump. Thankfuĺly all ok. But it took my gp pulling a few strings

Im sorry to hear about your cousin. Glad all ok with you. Did you have other swellings in the lymph nodes too? I’m really desperately trying to find someone with both symptoms that everything turned out fine with 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You know I don't know. It was completely coincidental as I had a Cervical Smear check appointment and put it off for ages. Because my cousin had just died I asked the doctor how to check myself. I did have some pain under my arm but linked it to a recurring back pain, plus my boyfriend had pointed out a lump which was so small I had dismissed as a pimple. It was just a patch of raised skin that I put down to a new bra. But all was fine. It was the family history and the fact that my cousin was only diagnosed at Stage 4 meant I got in so quick.

Interestingly it got him checking himself and he found a cyst. I had seen it (tmi) but hadn't commented. I should've.

Most romantic date ever. Both of us in the mater. His fine too but took longer ... I have private health insurance, he doesn't.

I really feel for you. Waiting is the hardest part. I'm lucky in that I literally had four hours notice but spent all that on the phone to my mother.

Advertisement