Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2013, 12:54   #16
miamee

I wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago

I had an appointment in St. James' on 9th July to check out a small lump that I'd been to see the GP about. 10am appointment, I was eventually registered at 11.15am (after arriving at 9.50am) and seen at 12.30pm. I was expecting to wait after reading the booklet they sent to me and brought a book. As someone else already said, once in withthe consultant they sit you down, go through the forms you have filled in, take your family history, ask about the lump, if you have any soreness etc, then he did a physical examination. He discovered a different lump that he wanted checked but told me it was more than likely nothing to worry about. I was to receive an appointment within a week for a mammogram & ultrasound.

Got a voicemail the next day, appointment for the Friday morning (after being there on Tuesday) for mammogram and ultrasound. Everything was clear on them but the few days in between were quite worrying. I insisted on going by myself and I'm glad I did, I'd rather handle my own nerves than have to manage someone else's as well (but that's just me, I know lots of people bring someone for support and that is ok too).

I found the staff all to be lovely from start to finish I have to say. From GP visit to appointment time I think it was 4-5 weeks which wasn't ideal but I was impressed by how quickly I was back for the mammogram and ultrasound.

By the way; I found the mammogram uncomfortable but manageably so and I'm a D cup (not sure if the size makes a difference really). The machine basically squeezes the breast quite tightly in order to flatten it out as much as possible to take an image, twice on each breast unless the pic is unclear and you have to go again.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2013, 13:04   #17
Mam of 4

Miamee, glad everything went well for you

Had my appointment this morning. Checked in, called by doctor, he went through my history of cysts and fibroadenoma, examined me and was happy enough to say he doesn't think anything has changed, but they'll send out a new appointment to get another mammogram done in a wk or two. He said they'll compare that to the last one I had done and see what happens from there.

In and out in less than an hour, agree with Miamee, always find everyone there to be lovely and very helpful too. The mammogram?? Don't know if it's just cos I have very small breasts that I find it very awkward

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on appointments.
23-07-2013, 22:54   #18
doriansmith

I found a lump on Saturday and went straight to the doctor, completely freaking out as the lump is very big. Doctor said it's probably a benign tumour and referred me for breastcheck. It's happening very quickly - have an appointment for this Thursday for a consultation, ultrasound and possibly a biopsy. Trying not to worry but that fear is still there in the back of my mind that it's cancer.

I had a lump a few years ago that turned out to be harmless but it was very small so I wasn't all that worried that time. This time is a different story as it's so big & also last time it was months before I got the ultrasound whereas now they're seeing me straight away which has me scared that it's seen as urgent.

Thursday can't come quick enough!
23-07-2013, 23:04   #19
December2012

Good luck on Thursday.
(3) thanks from:
24-07-2013, 16:59   #20
Mam of 4

December 2012,
did you have any luck trying to get a private appointment? I know I had a 4-5 wk wait for mine,not private,so can understand how you feel.

dorain smith,

It can seem scary and worrying when you are having everything happening on the one day, but at least when you walk out of the hospital you'll know exactly what's what. To be honest, I prefer when everythings done the one day, you're not coming home waiting to go back for mammogram,ultrasound, trying not to worry. Try not stress yourself out too much, take it easy on yourself, best of luck tomorrow, hope everything goes well for you.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-07-2013, 18:27   #21
doriansmith

Thank you

You're right that it's better to get all of the tests done on the one day, at least I'll be getting it all over with at once. I won't be having a mammogram as they said I'm too young for one but everything else will happen tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for good news for everyone here soon
(2) thanks from:
24-07-2013, 18:31   #22
CathyMoran

I found the screening system very efficient and the results were very fast - thankfully my results were fine but I was told that I was right to get my symptoms checked out.
Thanks from:
25-07-2013, 22:19   #23
doriansmith

Had good news today at my appointment, turned out to be a cyst

Had a consultation and examination first. The consultant had the same opinion as my GP - that it was most likely a tumour that was probably benign & said that I'd need an ultrasound & biopsy. As it was so big (at least 5cm x 4cm) she said I'd need surgery to remove it even if it was benign.

I then waited about an hour for the ultrasound as there was a delay due to a backlog. I was nervous as hell, it felt like forever. Was really scared at the prospect of needing surgery & of what the biopsy might find.

Anyway, had the ultrasound and straight away the doctor saw it was actually a large cyst. Such a massive relief. He drained it there and then. There was a bit of 'debris' in it which they've sent for testing but he said it wasn't anything to lose any sleep over. Will get the results in a couple of weeks.

Everyone in there was lovely & I'm so relieved it's over & done with, such a massive weight off my mind. Myself & my husband tried to stay positive but in the back of our minds we were both terrified. Finding such a large lump was an awful shock.

Best of luck to everyone else who's waiting for appointments
27-07-2013, 17:41   #24
December2012

Had a biopsy a few days ago and I'm exhausted!

Is this normal?

Did anybody have one and how did you feel after?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2013, 19:11   #25
Pretty Polly

Quote:
Originally Posted by December2012 View Post

Is this normal?

Yeah my mum felt a bit tired the day after hers.

She found the staff in Breastcheck in St Vincents hospital very helpful. The waiting room itself is quite relaxing.
She's due in for surgery in Vincents later this week. She's had more tests done in the past 3 weeks, between the triple assessment, ecg, bloods, mammograms!! They caught it early though so fingers crossed.
27-07-2013, 21:18   #26
Mam of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by December2012 View Post

Is this normal?

I was exhausted also a couple of year ago when I had the first biopsy done! I just put it down to being so mentally drained after waiting to get tests etc done, that it was just relief at getting sorted, that's my opinion on how I felt anyway Not much help, sorry!
Thanks from:
07-08-2013, 19:45   #27
Susie564

Heading in for an MRI 16th Sept - they say there's nothing to worry about and they're just being sure that there's nothing there that's not showing up on the ultrasound. Anyone else had a breast MRI done?
07-08-2013, 22:15   #28
Quality

Hey girls, I had a breast check last year in Beaumont clinic. It was my second one in five years cause I have lumpy boobs!

Anyhow in comes this really nice and hot doctor. So I talk when I am nervous. A lot. Asked him a lot if questions about the lumps, how long he was working in the clinic. Which was 8 months and how many women he had diagnosed within that time.
To my surprise he had only diagnosed one lady.

He said its not a case of every lump is cancer. But it is very important to get them checked out. I had an ultrasound as mammogram isn't suitable for younger ladies to confirm I was ok and was let go home. Reassured again.

He told me that if I wasn't happy with the boobs or had any changes to go back to my doctor.

Women's breasts change and lumps are common. But they should not be ignored. So get them checked but don't be nervous as diagnosis is rarer than what I would have assumed.
(4) thanks from:
02-09-2013, 20:45   #29
Mam of 4

Hi all, hope everyone's doing ok :-) Back on Thursday to get mammogram done, will let ye know how things go!
02-09-2013, 22:28   #30
Susie564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mam of 4 View Post
Hi all, hope everyone's doing ok :-) Back on Thursday to get mammogram done, will let ye know how things go!
Best of luck!

I had my MRI on Thurs last week - not the most pleasant experience of my life but glad it's over with! I've to call in two weeks for results.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion