Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bushy at any time is like going to an Out n About trade show! I was pushing the double when I did it.

I'm not exactly a fast runner though, I did the Alexandra - Moss Side inaugural on Saturday in 31:48 with the double buggy and only had about 7 runners behind me, but between buggy and toddlers I'm pushing over 6 stone at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I am in awe of people running with a buggy! I rarely see them at my local parkrun but other parkruns I go to a couple of times a year there are usually one or two buggy runners at them. I'm a 30+ mins runners and I get passed out by them. Makes me feel even slower than I am, how can they run that fast and push a buggy :O - but fair play to them, it's great to see! And getting the next generation of parkrunners in good and early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

When volunteering (barcode / timekeeping) at my local they pass the start/finish at circa 1.2k and at 3.4k as it's looped. I'm sure gambling at parkrun is frowned upon but if you want to keep yourself entertained it's great to look at the kids in the buggy's. Are the small ones rocked to sleep by 1.2k and if not are they still awake at 3.4k. We had two this week. One asleep by 1.2k and the other who was slightly older stayed awake for the whole 5k.

As for running with buggy's we've never had any issues with them and one guy starts at/near the front as he's a circa 21 minute finisher with the buggy. The others are more towards the mid to rear. It's something I'd love to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Poppintree was a sh1tshow today.

One person sent flying by a dog not kept on a lead at the start coupled with someone else with a buggy trying to cut in from the side at the start.

I ran Poppintree on Saturday. It's not that the dog wasn't on a lead, but rather that the lead appeared to snap as everyone started out and the dog ran into the path of the runners. I heard it snap myself from a few metres away on my right.

Obviously, that's of little comfort to the runner(s) that got bowled over, but it certainly wasn't something caused by ignorance on the part of the dog owner.

Can't comment on the person with the buggy as I didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I'm considering going up to Belfast for a New Years Day double. Ormeau and Stormont are on and close.

Orangefield is closer to Stormont and will run at 11 - you could walk between them if you're quick enough around Stormont and definitely run from one to the other. Victoria is also on at 11 I believe.

As an aside, all things going well, I'm planning on hitting my 50 at Orangefield on New Year's Day, so there may be extra cake! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I am in awe of people running with a buggy! I rarely see them at my local parkrun but other parkruns I go to a couple of times a year there are usually one or two buggy runners at them. I'm a 30+ mins runners and I get passed out by them. Makes me feel even slower than I am, how can they run that fast and push a buggy :O - but fair play to them, it's great to see! And getting the next generation of parkrunners in good and early!

Definitely wouldn't wanna be be doing your parkrun with a buggy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

That or a bicycle bell, but the likelihood is that someone with big headphones on won't hear or pay attention to either.

On that matter - can someone explain why they need to wear great big cans on their heads for a 5k?? Beats me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dudda wrote: »
    When volunteering (barcode / timekeeping) at my local they pass the start/finish at circa 1.2k and at 3.4k as it's looped. I'm sure gambling at parkrun is frowned upon but if you want to keep yourself entertained it's great to look at the kids in the buggy's. Are the small ones rocked to sleep by 1.2k and if not are they still awake at 3.4k. We had two this week. One asleep by 1.2k and the other who was slightly older stayed awake for the whole 5k.

As for running with buggy's we've never had any issues with them and one guy starts at/near the front as he's a circa 21 minute finisher with the buggy. The others are more towards the mid to rear. It's something I'd love to try.

For the first while I'd have to hand over a bottle of milk on the start line, and then be ready to take it back about 1 mile in. Would get screamed at if I gave the bottle too soon before the start. They would then be fast asleep seconds later.
    Currently have to hand over a packet of crisps and occasionally then hand over a pack of raisins. Usually they are then fast asleep shortly afterwards.
    Sometimes you have to keep an eye out for flying gloves, but the last couple of weeks there has been a refusal to put on any gloves, which then results in them not sleeping but complaining about cold hands for the last lap instead. Then you get screamed at because their hands are cold and for daring to suggest they put gloves on.

The good days are when they stay awake and shout at me to run faster, or in warning the lapped runners that we are coming by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Or having to stop during the run coz junior needs a wee and then being scolded by him when he says 'why are you running so slowly Daddy' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

Anyone overtaking me on a hill when pushing a double buggy deserves to be banned for life. (I'm a 21-22m parkrunner btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Wow, buggies at parkrun - love this chat!

Am a regular buggy runner, usually 19:30ish, so it makes absolutely no sense for me to start at the back. Marlay have that rule (and I do understand why, the first km is narrow and constrained) and I have never gone there with the buggy because of it. Buggies are allowed go where they like at Bushy but similarly, the first km is pretty tight so wouldn't fancy it. Luckily, we are spoiled for choice in these parts, have had great runs with the passenger - usually at Tymon or Cabinteely where I start front row centre. It is much much easier for all to have a few people overtake me than me overtake the majority of the field.

Over the summer had a few 1st place finishes, and it raised the question, who was the real first place participant - was it myself or the baby?

And yes, I have been known to shout at the volunteers "Asleep or awake?" as I've approached...lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I always preferred Fr Collins over St Anne's for the buggy running. Collins has an open Avenue which separates people nicely before the first corner meaning you can run at your pace. In Anne's the first 500m is very congested and you would need to adjust yourself to suit that. Once past the second corner there were no further issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Corkagh is great for the buggy. I'll sometimes start near the back of the pack if I'm out for a recovery run, when I do I find myself pulling the brakes a lot.

I'll start a couple of rows back but on the grass if I'm going for it. 100m or so on the grass at the start until the congestion clears then it's plenty of space on pathway the whole way.

My little one loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://www.facebook.com/278424672220589/posts/2767995299930168?d=n&sfns=mo A regular English parkrunner sadly died during a parkrun in England last weekend. Do you think it’s appropriate to do a minutes applause at parkruns in Ireland, as a sign of respect/support/solidarity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

https://www.facebook.com/278424672220589/posts/2767995299930168?d=n&sfns=mo A regular English parkrunner sadly died during a parkrun in England last weekend. Do you think it’s appropriate to do a minutes applause at parkruns in Ireland, as a sign of respect/support/solidarity?

No I don't, it's a fairly tenuous link and it would be a bit strange imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A minute’s applause at the parkrunners ‘home’ event or events (or any other form of recognition) would be enough. We’ve had this at St. Anne’s at least once, sadly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No I don't, unless there is some other link to an event. It is something that is unfortunately going to become far more common as parkrun expands, and is surprising that it's not more common already with the numbers participating each week globally.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Wow, buggies at parkrun - love this chat!

Am a regular buggy runner, usually 19:30ish, so it makes absolutely no sense for me to start at the back. Marlay have that rule (and I do understand why, the first km is narrow and constrained) and I have never gone there with the buggy because of it. Buggies are allowed go where they like at Bushy but similarly, the first km is pretty tight so wouldn't fancy it. Luckily, we are spoiled for choice in these parts, have had great runs with the passenger - usually at Tymon or Cabinteely where I start front row centre. It is much much easier for all to have a few people overtake me than me overtake the majority of the field.

Over the summer had a few 1st place finishes, and it raised the question, who was the real first place participant - was it myself or the baby?

And yes, I have been known to shout at the volunteers "Asleep or awake?" as I've approached...lol

Most of my regular courses I know that I can outrun the local speedsters from the line and they can then make their way past as my initial sprint fades. Only course I've done where it's narrow and I knew I couldn't do that was Cardiff and so was pretty cautious about starting up the front, and unusually for me didn't have the front wheel on the line and was a couple of rows back. Made sure I'd had a chat with some likely crowd control runners before the start who looked aware enough to not run into me, turned out I had "chauffeur Ramek" / "tiny Steve" running beside me that day. In such a crowded and fast start it's good to know that the people running beside you are paying attention.

It's really subtle but you get a sixth sense for when someone running beside you and the buggy is about to do something daft or not.

robinph wrote: »
    No I don't, unless there is some other link to an event. It is something that is unfortunately going to become far more common as parkrun expands, and is surprising that it's not more common already with the numbers participating each week globally.

It'd be more common than you think. Someone with 20, 30, 40 runs would still be fairly anonymous at some of the bigger runs. The word would never get back to the core team where they pass away and therefore noone would ever know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Looking for a fast course this Sat, I'm thinking Dundalk or Donabate, any suggestions? COming from Drogheda so North Dublin is about as far as i'm willing to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

robinph wrote: »
    It's really subtle but you get a sixth sense for when someone running beside you and the buggy is about to do something daft or not.

Defo, you can certainly feel some people thinking "I can't be slower than that buggy" and doing something strange/silly because if it. And it's always within the first 1km.

The worst I've had is someone sorting of doing a jump over my front wheel as they cut in in front of me. He really worked hard to do it and get ahead of me. About 500m later, I overtook him, never to be seen again. :rolleyes:

that said, I can count any awkward situations on one hand, and have done countless parkruns with the buggy. 99.9999999% of people are dead sound and just throw banter about "Have you an engine in that thing", "Can I get in"..etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Looking for a fast course this Sat, I'm thinking Dundalk or Donabate, any suggestions? COming from Drogheda so North Dublin is about as far as i'm willing to go

Malahide, St Annes park and Fr Collins are all fairly fast. Dundalk is good too but it's quite exposed so not great on a windy day and there can be some congestion when overtaking due to the three laps and narrowish path. Don't know what Donabate is like. I'd pick Fr Collins parkrun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Oldbridge or Ardgillan :D:D

jamule wrote: »
    Oldbridge or Ardgillan :D:D

Cross country is over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Never run Dundalk.
    Donabate is flat but has a couple of u-turns.

• Advertisement

Malahide, St Annes park and Fr Collins are all fairly fast. Dundalk is good too but it's quite exposed so not great on a windy day and there can be some congestion when overtaking due to the three laps and narrowish path. Don't know what Donabate is like. I'd pick Fr Collins parkrun

Thanks, think i'll try fr collins

Important question. Are there toilets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Not at Father Collins. If caught short, people have been known to use the loos in Trinity Sports and Leisure, which is about a 10 minute walk from the start/finish line.

It's a lovely, friendly and flat as a pancake course, though.

Not at Father Collins. If caught short, people have been known to use the loos in Trinity Sports and Leisure, which is about a 10 minute walk from the start/finish line.

It's a lovely, friendly and flat as a pancake course, though.

Okay 10 min not so bad, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I think Malahide is faster. Fewer sharp turns and a deeper field to help drag you around. Also has toilets :)

Darndale is fairly flat and has toilets and even had water and coffee for free at the end last time I was there. If you are a fast runner there is also a fair chance of a first finisher accolade. Check for cancellation though if there is any rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It'd be more common than you think. Someone with 20, 30, 40 runs would still be fairly anonymous at some of the bigger runs. The word would never get back to the core team where they pass away and therefore noone would ever know.

I know what you are saying, but this person took I’ll during the actual event and had to be resuscitated in the park.

Thanks everyone for your advise on this . RIP to our fellow parkrunner x

Singer wrote: »
    I think Malahide is faster. Fewer sharp turns and a deeper field to help drag you around. Also has toilets :)

I've done malahide before , I dont remember a toilet being near the start, whereabouts is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've done malahide before , I dont remember a toilet being near the start, whereabouts is it?

Visitors centre? Have never needed the facilities myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Malahide toilets - near Avoca/visitor centre. Or the lock up where the gear is stored. It's a green shed type thing, near the soccer pitches and BBQ area and playground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Malahide toilets - near Avoca/visitor centre. Or the lock up where the gear is stored. It's a green shed type thing, near the soccer pitches and BBQ area and playground.

Yeh, the one at the visitor centre was what I was thinking of. It’s about 3 minutes walk from the finishing area, or 1 minute sprint depending on your needs at the time.

Trying to remember in my 100+ parkruns if the presence or not of a toilet ever entered my mind.

Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lazare wrote: »
    Trying to remember in my 100+ parkruns if the presence or not of a toilet ever entered my mind.

You'd remember if you ever needed it

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You'd remember if you ever needed it
    Weird given I've IBS

I've never not peed before a race of any sort, heck by time I've line up to race I already think I need to go again. Its annoying. Anyway thanks folks I think I'll do malahide, it's a handy spin and I dont like the sharp turns in Dundalk and Donabate.

• Advertisement

I wasn't feeling the best the time I ran Clarisford. My horror when I realised the toilet had not been built yet. I tried to do the run but had to jump into the forest on lap number 3. Still my slowest parkrun. Must go back and smash my pb soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did about 30 parkruns during my pregnancies. You bet it became a factor at some point then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Weird given I've IBS

So you haven't needed a comfort break. I can definitely remember a time in St.Annes when I had a Sonia moment and had to turn right towards the red stables at the halfway mark. Was very glad there was a toilet on hand :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Glen River parkrun's first birthday is coming up on Nov 23rd, there's rumour of cake :)

A little bump for tomorrow & an Instagram video from Cork Sports Partnership that was just released.

New parkrun hoodies and casual tshirts available, and the tshirts come in colours other than apricot:

https://www.prodirectrunning.com/l/mens-clothing/activity-lifestyle/
    https://www.prodirectrunning.com/l/womens-clothing/activity-lifestyle/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

opus wrote: »
    A little bump for tomorrow & an Instagram video from Cork Sports Partnership that was just released.

Sorry to be missing this, I love Glen River, such a friendly crew too, Happy Birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I see it’s on it’s way to The Netherlands next year sometime, that’s my Saturday mornings sorted for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

OOnegative wrote: »
    I see it’s on it’s way to The Netherlands next year sometime, that’s my Saturday mornings sorted for me!!

Road-trip!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Road-trip!!!!

We’re still waiting for ye.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Sorry to be missing this, I love Glen River, such a friendly crew too, Happy Birthday!

Thanks! There was a new record attendance of 151 for the 1st birthday this morning & can confirm there was cake :) Two people were doing their 50th parkruns so lots to celebrate.

495963.jpg
    495964.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement