Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what price should I expect for tiling

Options
  • 27-10-2019 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of guidance really, I got a price yesterday and honestly was shocked - maybe I am wayyyy behind the times with costs

I want to replace the floor tiles in the bathroom, the floor has marine ply down already underneath the current tiles, my hubby will take up the old tiles and leave the ply ready for the new ones to be fitted on top, at the moment there is a tile skirting board on 2 walls so would also like this to be re-done with the new tiles , the bathroom takes about 4.75 metres of tiles according to the tiler we had out, he also asked us to buy a certain size tile to limit the cutting

Would someone be able to give me an approximate idea of cost, we will be supplying the tiles, adhesive, grout, edging etc so just want someone to fit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Where are you based, id hazard a guess at anything between 200 to 300 to do it, depending on which part of the country and cash or bank transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭magicray

Where are you based

Sorry should have mentioned that, we are in Dublin

magicray wrote: »
    Sorry should have mentioned that, we are in Dublin

Edited my original post

Thanks as I thought the price I got was more than double that, I reckon he overpriced himself as he didn't want the job

Crazy money for a days work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Crazy money for a days work

How do you know it’s a days work?
    Tiler will probably need to grout tile the after their laid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

To be honest 200-300 is for nothing.
    I'm not a tiler ( have tiled a couple of my own bathrooms though) but as stated earlier by another poster, the tiler will probably need to come back to grout.
    Also are there any sinks, toilets etc in the way?

These days when doing jobs on price you really have to factor in customers can be overly fussy (they're entitled to be to some extent) but if people expect high quality they must expect a premium.

The one thing I don't agree with is the tiler asking you to get certain size tile, he/she needs to price the job according to the style/size tile you like.

BryanF wrote: »
    How do you know it’s a days work?
    Tiler will probably need to grout tile the after their laid?

Unless its very complicated, which i dont think it is seeing as the tiler is telling the op to get a size conducive to getting out of the job quickly, he should have no problem completing 4.75 of tiles in a day using quick set adhesive

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I got some quotes for a small bathroom a few yrs ago. A few were bout 300 and the one cowboy gave me a quote for 600 which was a 'good honest quote'. Anything around 300 is reasonable I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

The Jman wrote: »
    I got some quotes for a small bathroom a few yrs ago. A few were bout 300 and the one cowboy gave me a quote for 600 which was a 'good honest quote'. Anything around 300 is reasonable I think

Was this quote just for the floor or the walls also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Unless its very complicated, which i dont think it is seeing as the tiler is telling the op to get a size conducive to getting out of the job quickly, he should have no problem completing 4.75 of tiles in a day using quick set adhesive

I haven't heard any mention of the toilet, basin etc being removed before tiling. This is the correct way to do it obviously but if bathroom fittings are staying in place then it's a messy job.

Grouting sho be done on a second day. Not everyone does this but again this is the correct way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I haven't heard any mention of the toilet, basin etc being removed before tiling. This is the correct way to do it obviously but if bathroom fittings are staying in place then it's a messy job.

Grouting sho be done on a second day. Not everyone does this but again this is the correct way

There have been huge advances in rapid set flexible tile adhesives, you can grout some of them after two hours.

I would imagine the ware will be out considering the man of the house is going to remove old tiles and clean off the marine ply. Even if not it's still only a days work for any competent tiler.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I would postpone any work that isn't of moderate urgency. Everyone deserves to be paid for their work but I do draw the line at some people charging 6/700 for a days work.

It won't last and the same lads will be touting for work in a few years for a fraction of that.

Market is crazy at the minute.

So one day and the visit to price the work, self employed, seems very reasonable

I would imagine the ware will be out considering the man of the house is going to remove old tiles and clean off the marine ply. Even if not it's still only a days work for any competent tiler.

He's not a plumber. I very much doubt that he priced removal & replumbing of Sanitary ware. Sanitary ware left in gets tiled around in a lot of cases. This is what could make it a difficult job.

I'd be wary of the fact that he wants particular size tiles. Cutting tiles isn't difficult for a real tiler. It can't even be all of that time consuming with the right tools

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op where are you based ? I’ve just used two tilers in Dublin , one based in cabinteely the other in cabra. Both excellent. Can pm you details if you like ! Ps I’m clearly in the wrong job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Thespoofer wrote:
    Was this quote just for the floor or the walls also?

Floor and walls. All work was done in a day and 5 years later holding up fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

So one day and the visit to price the work, self employed, seems very reasonable

You think 6-700 euro to tile a 5m floor is reasonable?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

So you'd pay a tradesman 600 euro for 1 days work ?

Where are you based, id hazard a guess at anything between 200 to 300 to do it, depending on which part of the country and cash or bank transfer
    You think 6-700 euro to tile a 5m floor is reasonable?
    So you'd pay a tradesman 600 euro for 1 days work ?

Where did you get 700 from? 200-300 was what I responded too?

• Advertisement

Where did you get 700 from? 200-300 was what I responded too?

300 is a good days wage, 200 cash is a good days wage, in private work anything in between is around average in my experience, if lads can get more fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I got a quote for 4.5m2 small hallway at front door for labour only of €800. Got the numbers from the tile shop, only one would quote after ringing 4 of them the other 3 had no interest.

I also had an Electrican out last week to quote for an outdoor socket and fit security light he quotes €650!!

Prices are crazy definitely in the wrong job!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What’s the website that you post a job and get quotes in again. Good few of the tradesmen I used sourced jobs on that ...

Sorry just back online and seeing all the replies now

I will get my own plumber to remove the toilet and the sink is ok
    it does not need to be removed, we are also replacing the bath panel so the tiles could go under without too much cutting

He also asked me to get the ready mixed stuff so he wouldn't have to mix anything

Anyway I wasn't happy to pay out that much so either way I will be looking for someone else

magicray wrote:
    He also asked me to get the ready mixed stuff so he wouldn't have to mix anything

This stuff is for walls and takes much longer to dry out than mixing yourself. I wouldn't be happy getting walls, floor and grouting done in the same day if using ready mixed. I wouldn't be happy using ready made on a wooden floor at all. Any tiler I have ever worked with insists on mixing themselves. Ready mix is for DIY people IMO. You need flexible adhesive for floors. Many tilers use flexible on walls around baths and shower trays to allow for slight movement in the walls themselves. I've never seen a tiler ask for particular size tiles from the client before. Cutting tiles is part of what he does for a living.

I'm a plumber and not a tiler but he sounds like a cowboy the more you post about him. The price seems to be the least of your worries with this guy. I'd suggest looking for recommendations off family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Stay away from anybody who wants to use ready mixed FLOOR adhesive. Its still in experimental stage and not widely sold. The manufacturers even recommend to only use on small not large floors in case of problems and the work may have to be retiled.

Is your bathroom floor just a basic rectangle because 4.5M Sq seems larger then the average bathroom floor.

Plywood is no longer used by any good tiler so if you are removing the tiles and the ply starts to come apart, strip it up also and re-sheet the floor in multi pro board or Magnesium Silicate board . Both are cheaper then Marine ply anyway and I think multi pro board is the cheapest.

Finally my guess on why the tiler suggested tile sizes is not because he has a problem cutting them, but tiles are getting bigger and BIGGER. I have seen some people buy tiles 4 x 2 feet. Yes ( 48x24 inches ) and these can work very very wasteful on a small area.

I think we all would love to know what other sort of prices you get. Never use only the one quote.

20/20 wrote: »
    Stay away from anybody who wants to use ready mixed FLOOR adhesive. Its still in experimental stage and not widely sold. The manufacturers even recommend to only use on small not large floors in case of problems and the work may have to be retiled.

Is your bathroom floor just a basic rectangle because 4.5M Sq seems larger then the average bathroom floor.

Plywood is no longer used by any good tiler so if you are removing the tiles and the ply starts to come apart, strip it up also and re-sheet the floor in multi pro board or Magnesium Silicate board . Both are cheaper then Marine ply anyway and I think multi pro board is the cheapest.

Finally my guess on why the tiler suggested tile sizes is not because he has a problem cutting them, but tiles are getting bigger and BIGGER. I have seen some people buy tiles 4 x 2 feet. Yes ( 48x24 inches ) and these can work very very wasteful on a small area.

I think we all would love to know what other sort of prices you get. Never use only the one quote.

Thanks for that info, my bathroom is tiny we have the usual toilet sink and a small sized corner bath , the tiler measured it for me
    Yes there is marine ply underneath, its there about 12/13 years under the old tiles - the hubby hasnt taken them up yet so I'm not sure what condition its in but will certainly change it if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What’s the website that you post a job and get quotes in again. Good few of the tradesmen I used sourced jobs on that ...

Www.tradesman.ie

I was thinking of getting a splashback tiled but was told by a tradesman I'd have trouble getting someone to do it. Small jobs aren't worth their while so they either refuse or give an extortionate quote for the work.
    I'm going to give it a try myself when I get the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

raxy wrote: »
    Www.tradesman.ie

I was thinking of getting a splashback tiled but was told by a tradesman I'd have trouble getting someone to do it. Small jobs aren't worth their while so they either refuse or give an extortionate quote for the work.
    I'm going to give it a try myself when I get the time.

How much do you think its worth. ? I know a splashback is only between one and three tiles but for a tradesman to travel to you and set up his gear half the day is gone. He may even finish to late in the day to get to somebody else.
    Even if the job was completed by lunch time and the price was €100 you would still think you were robbed for just sticking up three tiles.

I suggest doing the job yourself. It will give you a great sense of achievement. Plus you have something to talk about for weeks to come in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

20/20 wrote: »
    How much do you think its worth. ? I know a splashback is only between one and three tiles but for a tradesman to travel to you and set up his gear half the day is gone. He may even finish to late in the day to get to somebody else.
    Even if the job was completed by lunch time and the price was €100 you would still think you were robbed for just sticking up three tiles.

I suggest doing the job yourself. It will give you a great sense of achievement. Plus you have something to talk about for weeks to come in the pub.

I've no idea what the job would be worth which is why I did not mention anything about prices or the quote the op got., just pointing out what a tradesman told me about small jobs. Not really sure why your questioning me over it tbh.
    I would seriously question a tiler who takes half a day to set up for a job, especially since all the materials are supplied by the op. Dont think travel should come into it either, i dont get paid to drive to work. If it's too far don't quote for it.

Advertisement