Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what price should I expect for tiling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

raxy Like I said do it yourself. Save a fortune plus you will become expert on another subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

magicray wrote: »
    Sorry just back online and seeing all the replies now

I will get my own plumber to remove the toilet and the sink is ok
    it does not need to be removed, we are also replacing the bath panel so the tiles could go under without too much cutting

He also asked me to get the ready mixed stuff so he wouldn't have to mix anything

Anyway I wasn't happy to pay out that much so either way I will be looking for someone else

Get rid of that 'tiler'

Ready mix is shìte and can fail to go off

That's all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Op where are you based ? I’ve just used two tilers in Dublin , one based in cabinteely the other in cabra. Both excellent. Can pm you details if you like ! Ps I’m clearly in the wrong job!!!

Can you PM their details ?

Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Tiling has gone up in the past 2 years, now a days I'd price it for new jobs as follows:

Labour - €20/m2 (€24/sq yard) +VAT
    Materials (grout, trims..etc) - €2/m2 +VAT
    Tiles - €15-25+/m2 +VAT (Tiles are as expensive as you want them, nicer tiles are usually much dearer. However, you can buy tiles for a little as €15/m2)

So with materials on approx 5/m2 then I'd expect to pay approx €250-300 Incl. VAT.

Tiling is expensive unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

We just had two bathroom floors ,en suite floor ,hallway and kitchen plus utility room tiled for €1100 excluding vat i our new build
    I don't know was it because we used the tiler that the builder was using or was he just good rates but we are very happy with his work and feel we received a good price.New build was in Cork city aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭magicray

lemonkey wrote: »

So with materials on approx 5/m2 then I'd expect to pay approx €250-300 Incl. VAT.

See that's what I was expecting to pay , my budget was €300 just for labour I was supplying everything , I am thinking the guy didnt want to do it so way overpriced himself

Tiling has gone up in the past 2 years, now a days I'd price it for new jobs as follows:

Tiles - €15-25+/m2 +VAT (Tiles are as expensive as you want them, nicer tiles are usually much dearer. However, you can buy tiles for a little as €15/m2)

Thanks for that but you have made a mistake with pricing for Sq M and Sq yard. Hope you don't do that when quoting for work.
    Also you should point out that these prices are for when a job is over a certain size / area. Which is why your 5/m2 comes out at €300.
    Some people can be very stupid and will claim shops have told them the tiler charges €30 Sq yard. They then think a kitchen walls or bathroom floor should be tiled for €90 because its only 3 Sq yards, and anything above this is overcharging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

bri007 wrote: »
    I got a quote for 4.5m2 small hallway at front door for labour only of €800. Got the numbers from the tile shop, only one would quote after ringing 4 of them the other 3 had no interest.

I also had an Electrican out last week to quote for an outdoor socket and fit security light he quotes €650!!

Prices are crazy definitely in the wrong job!

Extortion.

A downturn will soften their coughs again.

177.5 euro per m2. Disgusting

oleard1987 wrote: »
    We just had two bathroom floors ,en suite floor ,hallway and kitchen plus utility room tiled for €1100 excluding vat i our new build
    I don't know was it because we used the tiler that the builder was using or was he just good rates but we are very happy with his work and feel we received a good price.New build was in Cork city aswell

How long is a piece of string. What is the point of telling us your price without any measurements. You give no hint how many Sq M were laid.

On 15-10-2019 which is only three weeks ago this was your quote.

Floor tiles for the kitchen ,Utility room and bathroom and tiler to lay them

Total cost €2600.

To me this appears to be a lot less work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If you are based in Leinster and working direct for homeowners you are ridiculously cheap and selling yourself well short .The company I work for pay tiling Sub contractors more than that and charge out at considerably more .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

20/20 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string. What is the point of telling us your price without any measurements. You give no hint how many Sq M were laid.

On 15-10-2019 which is only three weeks ago this was your quote.

Floor tiles for the kitchen ,Utility room and bathroom and tiler to lay them

My apologies post police ,I was only giving the OP in the other thread a rough guide as to how much extras cost in the house

Measurements are
    Downstairs
    Kitchen Dining 6.7m x 4.0m
    Utility 3.0m x 1.6m
    WC 1.6m x 1.5
    Hallway (no measurements to hand )

Upstairs
    WC 2.2x1.8
    Ensuite 2.2m x 1m

Cost of tile 1100 excluding Vat
    Tiles and material €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

I am tilling my kitchen, utility room, bathroom and en suite in New build. 3 bedroom bungalow of 1335 square foot. Cost me a pretty penny I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I had a plumber call out to service the boiler which needed 1 small part replacing ( part cost 20e max). He was there 30 minutes at a cost of €170 all in.

In context to a tiler working 1 full day and maybe part of a second day ( grouting) at a cost of 600-650 to me seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I had a plumber call out to service the boiler which needed 1 small part replacing ( part cost 20e max). He was there 30 minutes at a cost of €170 all in.

In context to a tiler working 1 full day and maybe part of a second day ( grouting) at a cost of 600-650 to me seems about right.

Nonsense, if you can't see the difference i won't bother even trying, 1 days tiling is not worth 600 euro if the op can get it for a more reasonable price, he's chancing his arm in the hope he meets a client like yourself

Perez2017 wrote: »
    I am tilling my kitchen, utility room, bathroom and en suite in New build. 3 bedroom bungalow of 1335 square foot. Cost me a pretty penny I'd imagine.

I see you have under-floor heating and the screed is cracking plus you were also thinking about laminate flooring. I am no expert but you need to check that the heat will still come up through the laminate, I don't think enough heat will. I think you would need a solid wood floor glued down onto the screed.
    If you were thinking about tiling after the screed problem is sorted, get a receipt or written guarantee from your tiler that he stands over his work. The reason been that even though most adhesives are suitable for under-floor heating, they are not all suitable for the various heated screeds.

Nonsense, if you can't see the difference i won't bother even trying, 1 days tiling is not worth 600 euro if the op can get it for a more reasonable price, he's chancing his arm in the hope he meets a client like yourself

Won't happen, do all my own tiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Won't happen, do all my own tiling.

Spoof.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

What's the going price or average price per square meter for a floor that's good and ready for the tile?

How many sqm would a decent tiler do in a day?

That's the real question. Why would you be paying per day rather than by the area actually tiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's the real question. Why would you be paying per day rather than by the area actually tiled?

A tiler will need 100 euro even if its 2 hours work. Likewise a tradesman will charge a days wages for 5 or 6 hours work. After 6 hours it's very unlikely he can pick up 2 hours work to finish the day off. So the 6 hours work takes up his full day

Yeh that's fine. Obviously they will need a standard set daily rate before they do tiling. 100 is fair enough.

But how can you pay per day for tiling? What if he only gets 3sqm done?

I can't see how a tiler could be looking for 600 per day. is that really what they are earning?

• Advertisement

Spoof.

Yes I do. Takes me longer ( much longer) obviously than a pro tiler but I'm fairly patient and a bit OCD when doing stuff like this.

To date I've tiled a few standard floors for myself and family and 2 bathrooms ( my own). First one was only OK, could have planned it better but acceptable and the second ( 15 years later) full bathroom/wetroom combined.

I can do it but I'd never make money from it, I take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

That price is a bit high to be fair for a service

BeansBeans wrote: »
    That price is a bit high to be fair for a service

Yeah, only heard on the radio today Electric Ireland offering boiler service for about 80-90e if I can remember so that stings a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thespoofer wrote:
    Yeah, only heard on the radio today Electric Ireland offering boiler service for about 80-90e if I can remember so that stings a little.

This is for a basic service. If part is required most likely there will be a 2nd visit & a 2nd charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hi,

Looking for advice. I am looking at getting flooring into a new build home and checking on prices for tiling. Rooms are all square enough so not overly complex.

It seems like we have been quoted around €30 sq/m for just the tiling. There are then extra charges for things like fitting a marmox board (bathroom floors, €80 per small bathroom floor and ensuite floor), €50 sq/m for tiling en suite floor (no idea why so much more expensive than normal kitchen floor) and a further €600 in charges to do things like remove and refit sinks x2, remove and replace skirtings & recut and put back bath panel and a couple of bathroom doors. The quote also has on €30 for removing all waste materials....

All in, before I have even bought any tiles / grout etc it's costing about €2,200 to just tile areas of about 38 sq/m.

It seems high!?

Hi,

Looking for advice. I am looking at getting flooring into a new build home and checking on prices for tiling. Rooms are all square enough so not overly complex.

It seems like we have been quoted around €30 sq/m for just the tiling. There are then extra charges for things like fitting a marmox board (bathroom floors, €80 per small bathroom floor and ensuite floor), €50 sq/m for tiling en suite floor (no idea why so much more expensive than normal kitchen floor) and a further €600 in charges to do things like remove and refit sinks x2, remove and replace skirtings & recut and put back bath panel and a couple of bathroom doors. The quote also has on €30 for removing all waste materials....

All in, before I have even bought any tiles / grout etc it's costing about €2,200 to just tile areas of about 38 sq/m.

It seems high!?

That would seem to be a very expensive quote. Does he supply marmox board or you. Its a fair price for putting it down and labour for tiling bathroom floors is more expensive because the small area involved maybe 3 sq/M will take a lot longer then 3 sq/M in part of a larger kitchen floor. Does he have to remove toilets and basins or just basins ?. That €600 is crazy money. Removing the basin and reinstalling the following day is no big deal in a new house. Shaving a bit off two bathroom doors and the bath panel is also no big deal. He should just be factoring it into part of the job not a whole new price. Personally I would not let him remove the skirtings, he is a tiler so cut the tiles neatly to the skirting board. He is charging the professional tilers rate so be professional and cut the tiles neatly. The paintwork will need to be touched up after skirting is replaced ,who does that. Why doesn't he take away his rubbish it should also be factored into the job not just a separate price.
    You should have asked the tiler how many days for the job and then put him on the spot when he says four days that you think €550 per day is to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frankiedoherty

Hi, Could you give me details for that plumber? I just got quoted 4000 for the same job! Could you DM me please! Thanks you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

20/20 wrote: »
    Stay away from anybody who wants to use ready mixed FLOOR adhesive. Its still in experimental stage and not widely sold. The manufacturers even recommend to only use on small not large floors in case of problems and the work may have to be retiled.

Is your bathroom floor just a basic rectangle because 4.5M Sq seems larger then the average bathroom floor.

Plywood is no longer used by any good tiler so if you are removing the tiles and the ply starts to come apart, strip it up also and re-sheet the floor in multi pro board or Magnesium Silicate board . Both are cheaper then Marine ply anyway and I think multi pro board is the cheapest.

Finally my guess on why the tiler suggested tile sizes is not because he has a problem cutting them, but tiles are getting bigger and BIGGER. I have seen some people buy tiles 4 x 2 feet. Yes ( 48x24 inches ) and these can work very very wasteful on a small area.

I think we all would love to know what other sort of prices you get. Never use only the one quote.

What size multi pro board would you use on a floor. 6, 9, or 12mm

Phil.x wrote: »
    What size multi pro board would you use on a floor. 6, 9, or 12mm

Most tilers would use a 6mm board, as you dont want to raise the height of the floor to much compared to carpet that may be other-side of door.
    There are exceptions like if maybe a timber floor was been laid other side of door which could be nearly 22 mm thick. In that case the tiler may use a thicker multi pro board so as to have the same level between the timber floor and finished tiled floor. If you are using multi pro board make sure to use the washers with the screws. The screws on their own will pop straight through the board with a bit of movement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement