Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow hurt

Options
  • 27-05-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

One of my best pedigree cows has been hurt by another large cow that was bulling . She is able to get up and move around . but she is carrying her right leg . she is incalf 4 1/2 months and is a fairly heavy cow . Should I chance her on and risk it or should I factory and cut my losses .she puts a little pressure on it to walk slowly .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Her back leg is it? You could chance putting her into a small field or a paddock where you can keep a close eye on her. Bit of hay/silage so she wouldn't have to move too much. After a few days you would note either an improvement or.....it's time to find a factory that takes walk in casualties/on farm slaughter. Deffo be no harm to get a vet to take a look too.

Bodacious had a cow just like yours but he kept her on as she had a very young calf at foot. Little fecker closed his account though :P Hang on and I'll see if I can find his old posts on her.

Edit- here's the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kovu wrote: »
    Her back leg is it? You could chance putting her into a small field or a paddock where you can keep a close eye on her. Bit of hay/silage so she wouldn't have to move too much. After a few days you would note either an improvement or.....it's time to find a factory that takes walk in casualties.

Bodacious had a cow just like yours but he kept her on as she had a very young calf at foot. Little fecker closed his account though :P Hang on and I'll see if I can find his old posts on her.
    would the quarter not be damaged/condemed in the factory the longer she is left?

whelan2 wrote: »
    would the quarter not be damaged/condemed in the factory the longer she is left?

I have no idea, I'm basing this on a hurt being described to me over a laptop so as always a good fistful of salt with whatever people say. It's just what I'd do if it happened here, you're not going to get a great price for an injured animal either way.

Kovu wrote: »
    I have no idea, I'm basing this on a hurt being described to me over a laptop so as always a good fistful of salt with whatever people say. It's just what I'd do if it happened here, you're not going to get a great price for an injured animal either way.
    ye, the point i was making the longer she is left the damage could devalue her alot. If she was mine i would see what she is like in the morning and decide then, bearing in mind its a bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭howdee

I'd always give them a chance, is it a front of back leg? I had a cow break a leg bulling before, came down bad in it in the collection yard.
    Would she take to a few calves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

whelan2 wrote: »
    ye, the point i was making the longer she is left the damage could devalue her alot. If she was mine i would see what she is like in the morning and decide then, bearing in mind its a bank holiday weekend

True bank holiday coming up . She has moved about 100 ft since morning and get ups and down . She is eating away .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Have absolutely no experience farming at all but always interested in reading this forum, serious question.

On the previous thread that was referenced there was talk about killing the animal to eat himself.
    How far back would you have to go to a time where a farmer would have just killed the animal for home consumption himself not a bother, I presume with a rifle or something ?

Would that still go on or would guys always get a someone from the abattoir out to do it or with health regs is it even done anymore

howdee wrote: »
    I'd always give them a chance, is it a front of back leg? I had a cow break a leg bulling before, came down bad in it in the collection yard.

Back leg kinda hobbling on it to be honest . She's quiet out and I nuged her leg a bit and she was well able to move it

jerdee wrote: »
    [

Back leg kinda hobbling on it to be honest . She's quiet out and I nuged her leg a bit and she was well able to move it
    would it be worth getting a painkiller for her and see how she goes?

Goose81 wrote: »
    Have absolutely no experience farming at all but always interested in reading this forum, serious question.

On the previous thread that was referenced there was talk about killing the animal to eat himself.
    How far back would you have to go to a time where a farmer would have just killed the animal for home consumption himself not a bother, I presume with a rifle or something ?

Would that still go on or would guys always get a someone from the abattoir out to do it or with health regs is it even done anymore

Long way back when pigs were killed for the house I expect it used to go on. My father told me he once did a bit of work as a young fella for a neighbour who had a bullock hung up on the rafters of the hayshed covered in flies 'maturing'.
    Dad only ate spuds for dinner that day.

And definitely not,animals can only be killed in a reg'd approved abattoir. Local butcher etc. The last person I heard who killed pigs at home had the DVO inspector on his doorstep who spraypainted the carcasses so they couldn't be eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I had a cow get a hurt on a hind leg like that early in the year. She was about 7 months in-calf at the time. She's a bit of a bitch and always fighting with the other cows, so I reckon she came out the wrong side of a fight. She couldn't put weight on the leg just hobbling along. Long story short, she came right in the end. It took maybe 3 weeks or so and she's perfect now. I didn't even get a vet for her.

It's a judgement call really. I felt with my one it was more of a muscle hurt as she didn't seem to be in severe pain.

Could she have a stone in the hoof?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

AS far as i know, an animal had to walk up the chute otherwise they would be condemened and dumped. maybe that has changed.
    So if im correct, forget about factory. once she walking I would give her a chance. nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

give her a chance.. is shes still a eating/moving a little

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

One of your best pedigree cows......... I'd give her every chance if she was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

One of your best pedigree cows......... I'd give her every chance if she was mine.

I agree completely..

Few years ago I accidently dropped a bale of silage onto a large bullock at a ring feeder.. He was completely passed out and unable to get up afterwards..

We lifted him into a shed and got vet out..

Gave him painkillers/anti-inflamatories for three days, he got up, kept food/drink near him and he was fair lame for two weeks but made a complete recovery..

Chances are this cow would be marked down seriously in the factory, if mine and she was a good cow I'd be working with her to give her a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭High bike

Would'nt be rushing to the factory with her if she's getting up and eating,may only be bad bruising,I'd chance her for a while if she was mine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

My answer too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

How's the cow today

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

I posted on here recently about one of our cows that went down hurt and couldn't get up, we worked with her 3 weeks lifting her twice a day with a daisy lifter, granted we haven't huge numbers so we had time still painstaking stuff! Well worth it she's up now calf back on her and moving around very well! Always worth trying to get them right especially if she's a good cow! Best of luck with her

She is not too bad much same as yesterday gets up herself and moves a bit . Drank a little water there now and eyes seem ok . Chance on I think .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

She'll be grand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Can you get a picture of her standing up, taken from directly behind her?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

She is not too bad much same as yesterday gets up herself and moves a bit . Drank a little water there now and eyes seem ok . Chance on I think .

Hopefully she will be grand , if she keels over it certainly won't be from hunger anyhow !

greysides wrote: »
    Can you get a picture of her standing up, taken from directly behind her?

Tomorrow I chance one as have to move her to a fresh paddock tomorrow .

Bullocks wrote: »
    Hopefully she will be grand , if she keels over it certainly won't be from hunger anyhow !

She always looks after herself grub wise partial to the opening the bin herself .

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

how is the patient?

Still hanging on
    Trizol 100ml as pain killer
    Eating and drinking but ground very wet and she's floating more than hobbling.
    Keep praying Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭High bike

I'd imagine she should be showing some improvement after a week,but hopefully another couple of days might do the trick

Tomorrow I chance one as have to move her to a fresh paddock tomorrow .

Photo from behind might be revealing. Of course, it might not...........

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

bi,,tch after 2 weeks minding injecting hay and water she popped her clogs last night .I had her standing with slings for the past 3 days .O well livestock dead stock have n t been that lucky with her so maybe karma caught up .$2500 as a weanling from ould lad in drumlish.:eek:

Advertisement