Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing a casualty cow?

Options
  • 24-02-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi, a lim cow which I had been fattening up and was almost ready for the factory hurt herself on the slats a few weeks ago. She was able to stand and walk a little but not much, the 1st vet that saw her said she had hurt muscles and gave her some antibiotics and painkillers.
    She didn't improve any though, had a another vet out herd testing last week, she looked at her and reckoned her hip was out. Anyway now the cow can't get up anymore.
    Was wondering what my options are now?, can I get her killed on farm for the freezer?, need a licence for this?. I have a friend who would do it, what are department regulations?.
    The withdrawal period for the drugs is not for another 2 weeks, I would like to get her killed before that if possible, any health issues here?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

In terms of the withdrawal on the drugs you will probably be alright from your own health point of view. Legally she won't be fit for human consumption until the withdrawal is up.
    There is a safety period built in to withdrawal periods to ensure the drugs are well out of the system. The closer you get to the withdrawal date the less chance of anything remaining. You could trim out the injection site as a precaution.
    That said I don't know if you will be allowed kill her for the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hi, a lim cow which I had been fattening up and was almost ready for the factory hurt herself on the slats a few weeks ago. She was able to stand and walk a little but not much, the 1st vet that saw her said she had hurt muscles and gave her some antibiotics and painkillers.
    She didn't improve any though, had a another vet out herd testing last week, she looked at her and reckoned her hip was out. Anyway now the cow can't get up anymore.
    Was wondering what my options are now?, can I get her killed on farm for the freezer?, need a licence for this?. I have a friend who would do it, what are department regulations?.
    The withdrawal period for the drugs is not for another 2 weeks, I would like to get her killed before that if possible, any health issues here?
    Thanks

Do you have a local butcher that would slaughter her for you in his abattoir?
    Casualty animals in factories usually have to be able to walk in plus the withdrawal period would be an issue with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

went down the field this morning as had AI man coming to inseminate 2 cows that I herd for an elderly neighbour, one cow down must have hurt herself rising during the night.. she 99 cow so was end of the line this year for her anyway but I thought id get a heifer out of her for him...in a bit of a pickle now though as a good 8 week old bull calf on her and she can just about stand on it... no drugs given yet .. ill see how she is in the evening before I bother with vet or drugs.. in fairness if she has broken hip not a lot vet can do for her... if she cant walk she not a factory job either.. any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bodacious wrote: »
    went down the field this morning as had AI man coming to inseminate 2 cows that I herd for an elderly neighbour, one cow down must have hurt herself rising during the night.. she 99 cow so was end of the line this year for her anyway but I thought id get a heifer out of her for him...in a bit of a pickle now though as a good 8 week old bull calf on her and she can just about stand on it... no drugs given yet .. ill see how she is in the evening before I bother with vet or drugs.. in fairness if she has broken hip not a lot vet can do for her... if she cant walk she not a factory job either.. any suggestions?
    realistically she wont be accepted in factory, if she was mine i would give her painkillers and see how she does. Maybe ring vet and ask advice rather than a call out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

8nth old bull, sure he's reared.

Do not use antibiotics.

Can she stand at all? Load her and send to the factory if they'll take and PAY for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Factories have become very strict with casualty animals. If they can't walk fairly well they are rejected. If there's beef on her maybe on farm slaughter is an option. Probably plenty of red tape and expense with that tho I'd imagine.
    Surely in cases like this a bit of compassion for the old cow and prevention of pain and suffering has to come into it if it's a lost cause. There's more to farming than money (despite what some lads think:))

Muckit wrote: »
    8nth old bull, sure he's reared.

Do not use antibiotics.

Can she stand at all? Load her and send to the factory if they'll take and PAY for her.

The calf is 8 weeks old Muckit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sorry. Where's my glasses! :)

She eating away nuts n hay, calf sucked her and she is up .. Not doing too much walking but will monitor her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Did an on farm slaughter couple of months ago, young bull broke his back .had to get a vet to certify that he was healthy enough to kill ,then arrange for a butcher to slaughter him and bleed him, then get him to the abattoir for skinning before the carcass went cold. He said all that type of carcasses, I presume he meant casualty, were tested for antibiotics , if positive carcass is dumped and you incur a severe penalty on your sfp.Not sure if the butcher doing the slaughter needs a special licence this fella was recommended by another butcher
    Nicest meat you could eat 15 month old bull bbx

• Advertisement

She eating away nuts n hay, calf sucked her and she is up .. Not doing too much walking but will monitor her

th_IMG_2089_zps2673ffa0.mp4

Where there is a will there is a way but I'm thinking factory but calf is eating well now and all is not lost

Is she making that clicking noise:eek:

th_IMG_2089_zps2673ffa0.mp4

Where there is a will there is a way but I'm thinking factory but calf is eating well now and all is not lost

Conclusion :

Kept her 6 weeks in total to get calf on meal and strong enough to avoid hassle of having to get a other Friesan.

Killed her start of month before weather changed , she improved nothing and was going backwards on limp side .. Got factory to slaughter her in trailer as she would only lie down in the pens and struggle to get up.. 280kg K.O. at 280c she was a P + 2= got 700 euro after deductions.. She was 15 years old and a good breeder down the years.. Glad to have her moved before weather got wet and that she didn't suffer .. Think factory docked me E50 for casualty case but what about . Better than paying knackery for her disposal

Advertisement