Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6% increase in farm income and other propaganda

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is there a benefit with carbon footprint aswell by having more local produce used by supermarkets or does that come into it ?

Carbon footprint doesn't come into it Bullocks.
    Netto, Aldi and Lidl have not agreed to the local sourcing policy. Nobody shops there. It's a mindset.

Tesco have 'treasure Ireland' for a good reason...

Maybe the IFA could start the ball rolling...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dawggone wrote: »

I'd say they'll be onto it straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

My post was in reply to Commemara farmer....

Am I causing trouble without trying again :D

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'd say they'll be onto it straight away!

High level meetings are ongoing...! :)

Is it even imaginable that the IFA would even pursue such a policy?....

Lookit I'm wronging the IFA somewhat because without them a lot more would be wrong in Irish agriculture. Credit where credit is due...

Am I causing trouble without trying again :D

Definitely not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Carbon footprint doesn't come into it Bullocks.
    Netto, Aldi and Lidl have not agreed to the local sourcing policy. Nobody shops there. It's a mindset.

That's ironic, Lidl and aldi are good supporters of irish produce here, even the processors claim they are a lot less demanding and fairer than Tesco.
    Also IFA are constantly meeting supermarkets.

rangler1 wrote: »
    That's ironic, Lidl and aldi are good supporters of irish produce here, even the processors claim they are a lot less demanding and fairer than Tesco

Your post is self explanatory rangler...

Tesco...Treasure Ireland!...are you having a laugh?:):)

Do you (and the IFA) really believe the hype??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

It's ironic really, we want to protect our own by keeping out others and on the other hand we expect our produce to be bought overseas.

I feel however that there's a huge apathy among Irish consumers regarding country of origin. If the calling in of the main supermarkets could cause this to change it would be great

Your post is self explanatory rangler...

Tesco...Treasure Ireland!...are you having a laugh?:):)

Do you (and the IFA) really believe the hype??

Really just going by the brochures that come at the weekends, seems to be a lot of irish stuff on it. These guys are in business, and the same as you and me, they buy as cheap as possible. I don't like the way they do business, but it's not going to change. Read my post again. I didn't say Lidl and Aldi were easy dealt with, because they're not. We got one of them into a meeting to stress the importance of selling Irish when they came first, They told us they were building a distribution centre and whoever dlivered the best value to it, would supply it

I feel however that there's a huge apathy among Irish consumers regarding country of origin. If the calling in of the main supermarkets could cause this to change it would be great

That job must land squarely on the IFA.

Bit of a whiff of Patrick Neary about the main farming lobby...

• Advertisement

It's ironic really, we want to protect our own by keeping out others and on the other hand we expect our produce to be bought overseas.

Well you saw what sitting across a table at the beef forum gained....sfa.
    Do you think the result would be any different with the supermarkets

Really just going by the brochures that come at the weekends, seems to be a lot of irish stuff on it. These guys are in business, and the same as you and me, they buy as cheap as possible. I don't like the way they do business, but it's not going to change. Read my post again. I didn't say Lidl and Aldi were easy dealt with, because they're not. We got one of them into a meeting to stress the importance of selling Irish when they came first, They told us they were building a distribution centre and whoever dlivered the best value to it, would supply it

Your post is the sound of hopelessness.
    A major change of mindset is needed.
    Why genuflect to big business?

The "market" is easily manipulated...green jersey and all that.

Getting them into "meetings" won't scare shyte out of them...flinging shyte in their front door will!
    At the same time lobbying government to "explain" the situation helps lubricate the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Would achieve nothing, talking shop

The 6 million dollar question...'Who has the power?'

Defeatist.

Go after the power source of the beef factories/supermarkets/merchants etc. and break them.
    The answer is political. The IFA has a very deep well of politics to draw from.

Your post is the sound of hopelessness.
    A major change of mindset is needed.
    Why genuflect to big business?

The "market" is easily manipulated...green jersey and all that.

Getting them into "meetings" won't scare shyte out of them...flinging shyte in their front door will!
    At the same time lobbying government to "explain" the situation helps lubricate the process.

I wonder what percentage of farmers on here ever lobbied the Govt about anything farming wise.....not many I'd say
    If you spent the last 20 years trying to get farmers to attend protests or disrupt supermarkets, you'd see it is hopeless, I'm away from all that now and delighted to be away....much easier to criticise now than get involved,
    Too many part time young farmers that don't care and older farmers like myself that the future of farming won't make much difference to I guess

Too many part time young farmers that don't care and older farmers like myself that the future of farming won't make much difference to I guess

Nail on the head there rangler.
    There is certainly no appetite from the political class to take on big business either.

"Thanks Big Fella" was a quote from a former Toiseach to the head of a major retailing family. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Nail on the head there rangler.
    There is certainly no appetite from the political class to take on big business either.

"Thanks Big Fella" was a quote from a former Toiseach to the head of a major retailing family. :)
    Yes exactly , This " dilutes" the farmers voice.
    But it doent stop the Goverment in changing, if the will is there.
    And that to my mind is the single biggest factor. We can all see,what can take place to leigslation overnight or 24 hrs when required.
    Perhaps our training /research body should be more vocal on this along with IFA. JUST A THOUGHT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Tesco are losing their foothold here rappa. Aldi/lidl supervalu and costcutter are quickly eating into their market share.

I see Tesco are fighting back lately though with a clever ploy of basically matching every offer that any other supermarket does if the customer brings it to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

should the focus not be on increasing markets abroad, and not trying to increase our share of the small home market.?

Advertisement