Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6% increase in farm income and other propaganda

Options
  • 26-05-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Firstly, I'm not a farmer but was brought up on one and realise that its hard work and none too profitable. However, I am seething after watching RTE News that is claiming average income is up 6% with Dairy Farmers earning an average of 69,000 Euros and average subsidies 19,000. The fact that less than 20% of farmers earned 50,000 or more suggests that RTE and Teagasc are spinning mean averages and not understanding the median- in short: rather a bit of propaganda and spin going on.

Am I alone in getting fed up of RTE non-news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Firstly, I'm not a farmer but was brought up on one and realise that its hard work and none too profitable. However, I am seething after watching RTE News that is claiming average income is up 6% with Dairy Farmers earning an average of 69,000 Euros and average subsidies 19,000. The fact that less than 20% of farmers earned 50,000 or more suggests that RTE and Teagasc are spinning mean averages and not understanding the median- in short: rather a bit of propaganda and spin going on.

RTE are a long way from the only non-news news organisation reporting on agri news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

RTÉ are a semi-state body...he who pays the piper...
    Is there an election coming up?? :)
    Look how farmers have prospered during 'our' time in power!!...

Likewise will Newstalk ever stop going on about DOB and Siteserv?

Funny, a 'national treasure' passed away yesterday (a man I enjoyed and respected!) who had a very successful PR company resulting from his position in the State Broadcaster...

I'm hearing that DOB's Topaz will win the tender for the motorway service station contracts...

Same old Shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Dawggone wrote: »

Funny, a 'national treasure' passed away yesterday (a man I enjoyed and respected!) who had a very successful PR company resulting from his position in the State Broadcaster...

I'm hearing that DOB's Topaz will win the tender for the motorway service station contracts...

Same old Shyte!

Either him, or Larry Goodman's gossoon/garson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Same old Shyte!

So the national treasures took the national treasure?

Best summary of the Irish economy I ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Same old Shyte!
    I heard that Applegreen (& Co) had that nod :confused:

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Either him, or Larry Goodman's gossoon.

Geldof's Boomtown Rats had a song about that kind of thing...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »

I rest my case. :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »

Wanna bet?
    Who's in power?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Pity Teagasc did not consider that they should be independent representing farmers rather than selling themselves out to private entities and then recommending to farmers the results are best practise...as it suits the piper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

Firstly, I'm not a farmer but was brought up on one and realise that its hard work and none too profitable.

If a business, and farming is a business, is not profitable then it should cease operating. Plenty of companies across a wide spectrum of sectors experience peaks and troughs (excuse the pun) but if a farm is constantly not performing financially, sell it and move on. Nobody owe's a farmer a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Suckler wrote: »
    If a business, and farming is a business, is not profitable then it should cease operating. Plenty of companies across a wide spectrum of sectors experience peaks and troughs (excuse the pun) but if a farm is constantly not performing financially, sell it and move on. Nobody owe's a farmer a living.
    Hold your high horse there a minute preacher he said not too profitable he never said not making a profit or constantly losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

The trade unions that run rte probably thought it'd help show that everyone is flying again and add another string to their bow when they are in tough negotiations with that ex trade unionist howlin in a week or two!

Suckler wrote: »
    If a business ..... is not profitable then it should cease operating.

Unless it is a bank, presumably.

kowtow wrote: »

Too big to fail.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

'Spring' 2013 a lot of farmers could a done with a 'bale out'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I didn't catch the full interview but there was a Teagasc guy on radio yesterday evening basically hoping that a recovering economy would provide off farm jobs for farmers. I genuinely found that a quite sad state of affairs coming from a farm advisory body. More creative thinking and marketing required, it looks pretty obvious there's a lot wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Hold your high horse there a minute preacher he said not too profitable he never said not making a profit or constantly losing money.
    Yes but if he's not happy with the income from small farms are making same applies. The 6% increase may be a bit simplistic but to portray it as propaganda is nonsense - most small farms not making as much as big farms - so what?

It's like Del boy said to Rodney & Mickey Pierce when he flogged them a heap of knackered old engines -
    "Find yourself a couple of wallys with cash on the hip"

If you can find an "investor" ready and willing to pump a couple of million in to a black hole of a farm you'd have the pen out sharp enough.

I didn't catch the full interview but there was a Teagasc guy on radio yesterday evening basically hoping that a recovering economy would provide off farm jobs for farmers. I genuinely found that a quite sad state of affairs coming from a farm advisory body. More creative thinking and marketing required, it looks pretty obvious there's a lot wrong.

It would be a good start if Kenny and Noonan called in all the large food retailers and 'suggested' that they source all produce locally.
    It's been done in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irelands-average-farmer-revealed/
    Sheep farmer incomes were also up, 24%, but from a significantly low base

Nice to know I'm not average though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Am I missing something here? What exactly are you annoyed about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

It would be a good start if Kenny and Noonan called in all the large food retailers and 'suggested' that they source all produce locally.

Super suggestion Dawg

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

What has been the impact of this,in other countries, Dawn?
    Then there competition athurority todeal with:D, then .......succumb to the high shelf im afraid. There isnt much will on that side. Perhaps if private enterprise was allowed ,:(it maybe different?

joejobrien wrote: »
    Then there competition athurority todeal with:D, then .......succumb to the high shelf im afraid. There isnt much will on that side. Perhaps if private enterprise was allowed ,:(it maybe different?

One thing which always impressed me in Switzerland was that even the larger supermarket chains - migros and co-op - always carried the local village produce (milk, cheese, sausage etc.) alongside / in front of the "national" packaged brands. When I enquired, the reason for *not* doing this, in the UK at least, was the complex logistics of running a supermarket with central distribution depots etc. at motorway hubs.

Which begins to look like a lame excuse when you consider that the Swiss supermarkets I am thinking of are 1100 odd metres above sea level, on the wrong side of mountain passes which are covered in snow for five months of every year.

Strikes me that supervalu do a good job of this in Ireland, the others not so much.

It's the policy of the major supermarkets in France.
    Carrefour/SuperU/HyperU/Intermarché/LeClerc etc all have a policy of sourcing products from within a 50km radius. It cannot be legislated because of free trade agreements within the Eu.
    Government brought in all the major players a few years back and strongly suggested that they source locally.

Works brilliantly for all food producers.
    Farmers don't have to compete with chicken from Thailand etc etc.

One thing which always impressed me in Switzerland was that even the larger supermarket chains - migros and co-op - always carried the local village produce (milk, cheese, sausage etc.) alongside / in front of the "national" packaged brands. When I enquired, the reason for *not* doing this, in the UK at least, was the complex logistics of running a supermarket with central distribution depots etc. at motorway hubs.

Which begins to look like a lame excuse when you consider that the Swiss supermarkets I am thinking of are 1100 odd metres above sea level, on the wrong side of mountain passes which are covered in snow for five months of every year.

Strikes me that supervalu do a good job of this in Ireland, the others not so much.
    Top class answer.
    That proves my point exactly that its our gob****e :(that run this country

Carrefour/SuperU/HyperU/Intermarché/LeClerc etc all have a policy of sourcing products from within a 50km radius. It cannot be legislated because of free trade agreements within the Eu.
    Government brought in all the major players a few years back and strongly suggested that they source locally.

Great to see some real forward thinking business stragety been used.
    If only a bit of same would apply here.:rolleyes:

Great to see some real forward thinking business stragety been used.
    If only a bit of same would apply here.:rolleyes:

Afraid to say that big business runs Ireland.
    Great to see that DOB was getting money from IBRC for 1.5% on a 'verbal' agreement.

Rotten to the core!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Right ...that's 20% of our produce sorted....what do we do with the other 80% if everyone wants to source product locally.
    What percentage of Frances production has to be exported...unlikely to be 80%

rangler1 wrote: »
    Right ...that's 20% of our produce sorted....what do we do with the other 80% if everyone wants to source product locally.
    What percentage of Frances production has to be exported...unlikely to be 80%

I've no idea rangler, but it's a good start, wouldn't you think?
    I'm thinking that if Irish retailers supported local it would create openings for the smaller farms and increase production from rural Ireland.

Btw France would be a fairly big exporter of commodities and a big player in processed foods.

My post was in reply to Commemara farmer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've no idea rangler, but it's a good start, wouldn't you think?
    I'm thinking that if Irish retailers supported local it would create openings for the smaller farms and increase production from rural Ireland.

Btw France would be a fairly big exporter of commodities and a big player in processed foods.

My post was in reply to Commemara farmer....

Is there a benefit with carbon footprint aswell by having more local produce used by supermarkets or does that come into it ?

Advertisement