Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Bid 2023/2027

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

the question then is whether its as much benefit to the country/ tourism as is previously made out if some/ most games involving the 6nations arent actually hosted in Ireland.
    Seriously, eliminate all group round tourists for the early rounds from the countries nearest you and how many visitors will you have?

Its the group rounds where people can look at the schedule and plan a longer trip with a guaranteed 2 or 3 games they can go to. And theres midweek games there too to pad out your time.
    In knockout stages the majority will wait to see if they are in it, and then deal with each game at a time, probably on a day trip weekend basis especially as theres nothing on midweek then.

Ah, don't worry, the ANZACS will travel to Ireland in droves.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wish the irb would ban the tokenistic use of foreign stadia. Apart from the fact it's a stupid and unfair bargaining chip, I also think it's unfair on nations who have to play "neutral games" in their opposition home stadium. I think it devalues a world cup host nation too.

Agreed. Embassaring for France to have play their 1/4 final in Wales...when it was a French world cup.

And in the crunch Pool A clashes in 2015, during the English world cup, Australia will no doubt have to play Wales at the Millenium...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Agreed. Embassaring for France to have play their 1/4 final in Wales...when it was a French world cup.

And in the crunch Pool A clashes in 2015, during the English world cup, Australia will no doubt have to play Wales at the Millenium...
    They don't. Australia Wales game is in London. Games in Millennium are Wales v Playoff winner and Oceania 1 as well as Australia v Oceania 1

They don't. Australia Wales game is in London. Games in Millennium are Wales v Playoff winner and Oceania 1 as well as Australia v Oceania 1

Ouch, that is an awful assumption on my part. Schooled you could say :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Are Ireland's fixtures for the 2015 WC made yet? Or is it possible to narrow down who we might get..

• Advertisement

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Are Ireland's fixtures for the 2015 WC made yet? Or is it possible to narrow down who we might get..
    2015 draw has been made since December last year. We have France, Italy, Americas 1 (which is Canada) and Europe 2 in our group.
    Our fixtures have also been decided. We start with Canada in Cardiff, then play Europe 2 in Wembley, then Italy in Olympic Stadium and finish with France in Cardiff. Europe 2 will be whoever finished 2nd in the current European Nations Cup First Division which will finish the same weekend this coming years 6 Nations does next March. 2nd place will be one of Georgia, Romania and Russia

2015 draw has been made since December last year. We have France, Italy, Americas 1 (which is Canada) and Europe 2 in our group.
    Our fixtures have also been decided. We start with Canada in Cardiff, then play Europe 2 in Wembley, then Italy in Olympic Stadium and finish with France in Cardiff. Europe 2 will be whoever finished 2nd in the current European Nations Cup First Division which will finish the same weekend this coming years 6 Nations does next March. 2nd place will be one of Georgia, Romania and Russia

Grand so a handy draw. I just hope we don't explode against the Italians!

Grand so a handy draw. I just hope we don't explode against the Italians!

The crucial fixture is with France. Assuming NZ does not lose against Argentina in pool play the loser of this match will face NZ in Cardiff in a 1/4 final, whereas the winner will face Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Based on our stacatto form of recent years, there are 3 out of those 4 WC games we shouldnt take for granted. Failure to win the group means a meeting with New Zealand in the QFs. Our usual form so.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Based on our stacatto form of recent years, there are 3 out of those 4 WC games we shouldnt take for granted. Failure to win the group means a meeting with New Zealand in the QFs. Our usual form so.

**It will depend on which France shows up**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Goes to show that 50% of our pool games are in Wales during the English Rugby World Cup!

I think Italy in the Olympic Stadium is a game that I will be doing my best to get to as I didn't make it over to the Olympics last summer and would like to get to an event in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hmmmm, now where have I heard that before!

Yes, but it shouldnt, we should depend on ourselves to be good and strong enough to beat them. A disgruntled and slightly hapless French side showed up in 2011, still made it to the final - and they know they should have won it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Lets start:
    On Croke park availablity. Cop On... there is 4 Sundays in September... The RWC in 2015 is starting on the 19th.. We could move the All Ireland Football Final one week forward... Straight common sense, we are talking about an organisation which played the replay on a Saturday this year.

On Stadiums we have enough on our own, Our biggest concern there is that we are easilly accessible and countries like England and France will fill big grounds.
    In the pool stages there is a need for major stadiums for about 8 games... Croke Park on Saturday and Sunday...

Ireland has the lowest amount of RWC games hosted by the founders. Scotland are next... Wales has over twice as many us by 2015... Ireland is due and well due...

Scotland to get all of it pool stages and a quarter final.... So I see it as France, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales having biggest crowds...

Ireland in Croke/Aviva, Scotland in Murryfield, England in Aviva/Croke, Wales in Cork, France in Limerick/Kerry... Belfast & Galway to help out on NZ and Aussie games....

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

To follow up on this. Match times and ticket prices are being revealed tomorrow (Wednesday). Got an email about it today. I'd imagine tickets will go on sale some time in the new year.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Lets start:
    On Croke park availablity. Cop On... there is 4 Sundays in September... The RWC in 2015 is starting on the 19th.. We could move the All Ireland Football Final one week forward... Straight common sense, we are talking about an organisation which played the replay on a Saturday this year.

On Stadiums we have enough on our own, Our biggest concern there is that we are easilly accessible and countries like England and France will fill big grounds.
    In the pool stages there is a need for major stadiums for about 8 games... Croke Park on Saturday and Sunday...

Ireland has the lowest amount of RWC games hosted by the founders. Scotland are next... Wales has over twice as many us by 2015... Ireland is due and well due...

Scotland to get all of it pool stages and a quarter final.... So I see it as France, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales having biggest crowds...

Ireland in Croke/Aviva, Scotland in Murryfield, England in Aviva/Croke, Wales in Cork, France in Limerick/Kerry... Belfast & Galway to help out on NZ and Aussie games....
    Dont think you would need to have games played in CP 2 days running, you could spread games more than that.
    Don't see a need for Scotland to get given games. We have enough stadiums and with several GAA as well as rugby stadiums getting make overs in coming years our stadiums are modern enough. D
    Don't see a need for basing sides in specific venues. Obviously the big sides will play quite a bit in Dublins big 2 stadiums but spread games throughout the country. We're a small country and not as if travel will be any issue

What if the Hurling or Football final goes to a replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

2023 should go to Italy but 2027 would be plenty of time for us to get our shít together. Will more than likely go to South Africa or Australia though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If 2023 went to Italy then 2027 won't go to Europe.

Besides, I think there will be a desire to have it in a rugby heartland after 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

What if the Hurling or Football final goes to a replay?

What do you mean "what if"?!!! They are set up for replays, CLG kachiiiing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭OldRio

What if it rains
    What if it floods
    What if we have an Icelandic volcanic explosion and the aircraft are grounded.
    What if we have an Atlantic storm that stops all ferrys from sailing.
    What if the magnetic poles shift and we have another ice age.
    What if the four horsemen of the apocalypse ride out in judgement.

No way can we host such an event with so many variable and unforeseen circumstances. In fact lock your doors. Draw the curtains and pray to whatever God or deity you believe in.

Its just not worth it, because of, what if.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't want a RWC here if the IRFU has to price gouge supporters like RWC2015 is doing. And Ireland can't compare with the stadia that 2015 has available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The Irish bid would be dead in the water with ticket prices like that

England 2015 needs those ticket prices to cover the rental of big soccer grounds, which are astronomical and will seem very big and empty for some of the lesser games.

In terms of the scale of Ireland's bid, the overheads in that regard should be much lower for a start, as with the GAA they are dealing with one organisation with whom it should be possible to arrange a single contract for stadium rentals with the GAA themselves deciding how to trickle the windfall down to the host counties and their other activities.

I dont think there is much point in hedging our bets between 2023 or '27, if we fail to focus on one we could end up losing out on both. We should ramp up the promotion for Ireland 2023 straight away on the back of the Gathering, and get the subliminal message through to the would-be voters long before the bids are due in.

We should put both Italy and RSA in our sights and tell the whole world why Ireland is a superior choice to host.

Ireland is a better fit for the moderate size of a RWC compared to a FIFA WC or Olympics. It is compact yet commodious, road and air transport are excellent, we have the bulk of numbers of rugby supporters in the world on our doorstep. We have fantastic alternative activities for fans, teams and the media circus outside of the rugby games. The weather is moderate, especially in Sept/Oct, not too hot like Italy or RSA and not too cold and miserable like NZ. The proposed venues are intimate yet central to great host towns, they are historical and atmospheric. There is no better country to throw a party or to come up with solutions to provide high levels of temporary hospitality and media hosting at normally modest venues

Italy is largely disinterested in rugby, their stadiums are soulless compounds built for a dangerous football culture, I dont believe you would get a suitable buy-in from the government or population.

South Africa has a great tradition, but its a remote place to attract huge overseas numbers, its very spread out and logistics are difficult. It can be dangerous and corrupt. Its trying to get some use out of its FIFA WC stadiums and they may be too big in scale for the majority of the RWC fixtures. They have also hosted before (France too) and it would be unfair not to rotate through all the traditional rugby nations before returning to RSA once again.

Ireland is just the best choice, end of.;)

Larbre34 wrote: »
    England 2015 needs those ticket prices to cover the rental of big soccer grounds, which are astronomical and will seem very big and empty for some of the lesser games.

In terms of the scale of Ireland's bid, the overheads in that regard should be much lower for a start, as with the GAA they are dealing with one organisation with whom it should be possible to arrange a single contract for stadium rentals with the GAA themselves deciding how to trickle the windfall down to the host counties and their other activities.

The GAA are entitled to ask for the same rents as soccer stadiums in England for the 2023 WC. Just because they are amateur doesn't mean anything. That money will go straight back into every corner of this country and not into paying over paid stars like across the water water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The GAA are entitled to ask for the same rents as soccer stadiums in England for the 2023 WC. Just because they are amateur doesn't mean anything. That money will go straight back into every corner of this country and not into paying over paid stars like across the water water.

But the majority of stadiums that the GAA have are smaller and not as well equipped as the soccer stadiums used for 2015.
    The stadiums will also be rented out of season which is not the case for 2015.

It has nothing to do with Amateur or Professional in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

You.re probably right, my first reaction was that the GAA were rubbing their hands when they saw how high ticket price was, but its not the exact same situation for a few reasons.

1: Those soccer stadiums are in use during RWC time, so the lads have to ask for enough to make it worthwhile to have the pitches and stuff turn up.

2: The GAA stadiums will get upgraded for the RWC with money that will likely be government money, so I'd hope that would bring down the cost.

3: The GAA will probably see the world cup as much more of an international marketing opportunity than a soccer team would, they will be gaining exposure benefits as well as cash benefits - that might make them less inclined to rip us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

errlloyd wrote: »
    You.re probably right, my first reaction was that the GAA were rubbing their hands when they saw how high ticket price was, but its not the exact same situation for a few reasons.

3: The GAA will probably see the world cup as much more of an international marketing opportunity than a soccer team would, they will be gaining exposure benefits as well as cash benefits - that might make them less inclined to rip us off.

Jaysus,Can't win with some people! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Jaysus,Can't win with some people! :rolleyes:

Sorry? Did I say something you found to be to your distaste. Oh my apologies, all I was doing was listing some reasons why the GAA would hopefully cut a more reasonable deal with the IRFU than the various soccer teams had with the RFU.

You seem to think that the GAA should be able to charge any price for stadium rental and I should just be thankful they provided them? As if they were doing some incredible good deed by making millions of euro at the expense of the fans of my sport and not theirs.

I am generally thrilled the GAA have got on board. I realise we couldn't do it without them, but the suggestion that this is some sort of one way street, where they give us stadiums out of the goodness in their hearts and expect nothing in return is laughable. The GAA are entitled to set their price, time will tell how fair that price is. In the meantime I'd appreciate if you didn't take such a cheap shot when I actually suggest some reasons why I think their price will be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I fully expect the governemnt will step in if the GAA get greedy, which if Croker was anything to go by when Landsdowne was getting done is to go by, will happen. The GAA is build on tax payer handouts, bout time there was a return

Advertisement