Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pitfalls of a money pit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I believe you have been mislead. While yes you would have to replace the windows with sash windows if replacing the original windows that is not the case if the originals are gone. The rule in that case is you can do what you like. The key part is conserve and you don't have anything to conserve if it already gone.

Are people sure they are talking about 100 year old houses? I have a georgian property and it doesn't have preservation order. Houses from 1910s very rarely have such such orders.
    I've read the Statement of Character for the ACA and it's quite specific.

Our house was built in the 1910's/1920's as part of, what was at the time, the largest civic construction project undertaken in Ireland (St Ita's Asylum in Portrane) and the terrace we're in is, IIRC, the last example of it's type in the country which has it listed as an Architectural Conservation Area. So, while the house itself isn't a "listed" or "protected" structure, it's outwards appearance has to conform to that of our neighbours.

I'm sure I could challenge the council on it legally (and win) if I wanted to but there are other aspects of the ACA that work in our favour (large fields behind our house that can't be developed) so I'm not inclined to challenge them on it and quite frankly, architecturally speaking, they're right: the original windows look best in the properties.

I'll be using the leeway between an ACA and a listed building to justify installing double-glazed versions of the original sash though. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Humour Me wrote: »
    I suggest you get a builder or engineer in to give you an indication of the cost involved.

Would you be able to move in and do it up room by room and spread the cost over time or is there work needed before you can move in?

I am skeptical that this is possible, unless the work is very superficial.

If you're doing anything substantial, doing it room by room over time is going to cost a lot more in the long run (or not even make sense), as well as being incredibly irritating for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

awec wrote: »

If you're doing anything substantial, doing it room by room over time is going to cost a lot more in the long run (or not even make sense), as well as being incredibly irritating for years.

if its a money issue, which it usually is. its typically the kitchen and bathroom if they need renovating, that really suck up a huge amount. the other rooms arent usually too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I suggest you get a builder or engineer in to give you an indication of the cost involved.

Would you be able to move in and do it up room by room and spread the cost over time or is there work needed before you can move in?

This is how we are doing ours, kitchen & bathroom in, rewiring & heating done since we moved in 2 years ago. Outside the house has been painted & guttering done as well as getting the neglected garden under control.
    Still loads to do but it'll get done when it gets done, the house is warm & dry & we don't have to worry about a mortgage or rent so that's a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You do the large scale, messy stuff first, but then you can "decorate" room by room over years if necessary.

I got wiring and plumbing and all rooms skimmed, new windows but then painted, floored etc over a couple of years.

Doing 1 bathroom rather than 2 or 3 is a significant saving.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GreeBo wrote: »
    You do the large scale, messy stuff first, but then you can "decorate" room by room over years if necessary.

I got wiring and plumbing and all rooms skimmed, new windows but then painted, floored etc over a couple of years.

Doing 1 bathroom rather than 2 or 3 is a significant saving.

Yes, but painting and flooring is purely superficial stuff, which is kind of my point.

You're not going to re-wire, re-plumb, re-plaster or whatever a house one room at a time. You're not going to upgrade the heating one room at a time, or change the windows one room at a time etc. That would be absolutely daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes, but painting and flooring is purely superficial stuff, which is kind of my point.

You're not going to re-wire, re-plumb, re-plaster or whatever a house one room at a time. You're not going to upgrade the heating one room at a time, or change the windows one room at a time etc. That would be absolutely daft.

Yep...but I dont think anyone advised doing that....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

New building regs coming in place in November means that if you plan to add 25% extra space via an extension then the whole house needs to be upgraded to B2 energy standard. A nightmare if buying an old house.

Be careful!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-energy-rules-for-home-renovations-and-extensions-1.4031816

It’s a protected structure so those have more limited application!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I believe you have been mislead. While yes you would have to replace the windows with sash windows if replacing the original windows that is not the case if the originals are gone. The rule in that case is you can do what you like. The key part is conserve and you don't have anything to conserve if it already gone.

Are people sure they are talking about 100 year old houses? I have a georgian property and it doesn't have preservation order. Houses from 1910s very rarely have such such orders.

Absolutely incorrect as far as DCC are concerned( mine has original late Victorian windows but a number of neighbours have 70s/80s pvc/aluminium. If they want to remove those, the only option is to commission bespoke wooden sash windows consistent with what the originals would have been. Undoubtedly some break this rule but that’s the exception.

Mine is 1880s and the whole street is protected. Adjacent streets are more mixed and, in my opinion, those which are not entirely protected have a higher proportion of lawyers who’ve successfully lobbied against. Orwell Park (if you know it) is a classic example of a street with few protected strucutures despite many fine examples which should be protected. Rathgar Road, on the other hand, is a hodge lodge and almost 100% protected to the extent that DCC objected to the removal of mid 20th century pebble dash on a much older house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone know who I'd talk to about what I could change for a protected structure? Local council authority?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Would you be able to move in and do it up room by room and spread the cost over time

Not possible to do. Terrible advice to be giving someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Took me a while to find this thread.

I have looked at some houses within budget(<325/350k max) and some are terraced houses which I have looked at. They require good bit of work, some have bathrooms downstairs, floors might be to be redone, painting, new kitchen and there is also posible stuff that I'd prefer like open plan kitchen.

If one wants to go through the route of buying a terraced/1950's type place with the prospect of doing it up, where would one start from after the house viewing?

A suggestion has been get an engineer/architect- another question, whats the best way of contacting any of these and sying you're interested in property, can you advise what has to be done?

Apologies for typing errors but keyboard is acting up..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

smokingman wrote: »
    House is good to move into already but windows are single pane and need replacing. There's a whole new kitchen needed and possible chimney work. 70s extension is rough but could do that while living there. It's in Kildare

Are you sure the windows need replacing? Its a myth that single glazing makes a house uncomfortable. Maybe they can be repaired. Sashs can normally be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

New building regs coming in place in November means that if you plan to add 25% extra space via an extension then the whole house needs to be upgraded to B2 energy standard. A nightmare if buying an old house.

Be careful!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/new-energy-rules-for-home-renovations-and-extensions-1.4031816

Youd hope such a house is exempt as period houses are BER exempt.

Advertisement