Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The greatest thing you've lived to see in your lifetime

• 10-06-2015 4:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Broad thinking happy day on boards.

I was born in the 70's so for me it has to something contemporary.
    The internet is going to be the big cheese for most but there's no telling where technology will take us in the next generation, I see the internet as the very start of something huge.

Eradication of many diseases happened mainly before my time but the improvements in oncology have been huge over the past decade.

An easy target would be the reduction in power of the Catholic Church but I'm wary of the battle to replace the god shaped hole, is the rise of social equality & ecological awareness the new greater good ?.

I'm voting for the emergence of Ireland as real 21st century country as my number 1.
    So long comely maiden dancing at the crossroads, your time has finally come.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

scientific/medical advancements..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The invention of Cheese Strings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

A fanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i was in a rib off the coast of cork and a massive fin whale burst up out of the water to get a load of the fish.. i was about 3 meters away.. i shat myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Curry sauce and grated cheese on chips.

Halcyon days indeed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

HALO jump from 28,000 feet & watching the world rush towards me as it spins.

Physically seen: Best Mate winning his last Gold Cup in 2004.

Otherwise, something I have lived through: the development of the internet as a publicly-available resource

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am easily pleased, so as a German I would say Germany's 7-1 win against Brazil at last years WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Italia '90.

But then, I was 8. It's very easy to get very excited about stuff when you're 8. I can't see myself ever being that excited about a national event again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Nelson Mandela's release.I was only nine or ten at the time but it certainly had a lasting impact on me,and definitely played a part in shaping me into the peace loving,social justice warrior I am today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Scarlett Johansson's nudey bits in that film a while back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

man utd winning the treble in 1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

9/11.

Great meaning "large" or "immense." I meant it in the pejorative sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Gay referendum passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

seamus wrote: »
    Italia '90.

But then, I was 8. It's very easy to get very excited about stuff when you're 8. I can't see myself ever being that excited about a national event again.
    The Italia 90 episode of Moone Boy is well worth the watch. Brings you right back into it :D

/We're all part of Jackies army....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Medical advances to cater for those who wouldn't have been catered for before (admittedly, this has been going on a lot longer than I've been alive).

Any time I see people who receive cutting edge medical care, without which they would not be able to live a normal life, it reaffirms my faith in people to be good and generous and do the right thing.

The work and legacy of Paul Bach-y-Rita on neuroplasticity is a great example of what I am talking about.

Or people who would otherwise be deaf getting implants that allow them to hear:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Those guitars that are like.. double guitars!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A Black man being elected as President of the United States

Will we see a Woman being elected as President ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Deputy Stagg finally being put in his place by Paul Gogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Moon pie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's a shame that there's been a lot of great discoveries that have been held back because of large industry interests, such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0uabEnCJRI

But then when you look at some of the emerging nano technology that's coming out now, it really is an amazing time to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

blinding wrote: »
    A Black man being elected as President of the United States

Mary Robinson & Mary McAleese???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Fall of the Iron Curtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

From an Irish point of view -

Has to be the peace process up North.

Very sad that it took over 3000 lives for both sides to accept what was on offer in the 1970's- basically the same power sharing executive!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Mary Robinson & Mary McAleese???

Sorry; Should have made that clearer; American President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sorry; Should have made that clearer; American President.

That Hillary wan is the closest you will get (to an American president and a woman president and a woman :D)

Hasn't that Maggie Thatcher wan shown the way already with the Iron Lady stuff? That is enough for the wimmin's for a few decades anyway! :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The decline and eventual descent into complete hilarity of Liverpool FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Solemia winning the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
    Get in. Go on ya good thing.
    I'll die happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

When marathon became snickers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

seamus wrote: »
    Italia '90.

I've yet to see the aptmosphere of Italia 90 repeated.

Cousin had a 21st during one of the matches and her Dad put a huge (for the time) TV in a marquee.

Fantastic - and I hate ball games with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The 2013 All Ireland Semi Final between Dublin and Kerry what a ****ing match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Ulster dominating Gaelic football, and the rise of Sinn Fein. Great days ahead for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Pogues (fronted by Joe Strummer) 4th Dec 1991 - Manchester Apollo
    Ramones 5th Dec 1991 - Manchester Academy

What a weekend that was :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Had been living in Italy in the lead up and during World Cup 2006.

The buzz around the place throughout the knockout stages of the tournament was something else.

Although the celebrations after the final were insane, the semi final against Germany stick out for me as far more memorable.

What a way to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

youtube.

youtube is probably the best thing that has happened in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Seeing my son being born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I lived in West Germany from Jan 89, I was 18. In those months I hitch hiked to West Berlin a couple of times and spent a few weeks of the summer of 1989 Inter Railing eastern europe, so for me its the fall of the Iron Curtain and that only a few months after Tiananmen Square.

Three day queues in Bucharest for a Hungarian visa and travelling from Budapest to Vienna in August 89 in trains stuffed with East German refugees knowing that you were literally witnessing history first hand is probably my highlight.

Worked at the1998 World Cup and sitting behind he goal as Zidane headed the first two goals in was something special too as was that night in Paris.

On a smaller note witnessing first hand two peaceful, bloodless coups in Guinea Bissau and reading a totally different version in the International Herald Tribune a week later making me realise that some people in the media really do twist the news to suit their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Spice burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the shootout v romania and the explosion of celebration on every street in the country,city winning the league at the last minute and the birth of my kids

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

A terrible moment was 9/11...I really thought WW3 was just days away.

Greatest current thing is the amount of knowledge in my hand through the Web and smartphones. ..truly amazing.

I hope to be alive to see man land on Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Total solar eclipse ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Brancott wrote: »
    Eradication of many diseases happened mainly before my time but the improvements in oncology have been huge over the past decade.

Technically we've only eradicated small pox and only in the wild. And that was in the 70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hoping we might actually find some signs of life somewhere else before my lifetime's up! That'd be pretty cool, even if it's just microbes or insects or something.

Things that I find most mind blowing that occurred in my lifetime:

True mass global communications - cheap, fast, usable Internet and mobiles. I still think this is going to change everything and already is doing.

Ireland liberalising. I'm only hitting the big 30 but this place has changed beyond all recognition since I was a kid. It was so stuffy and conservative when I think back on it. There's still some legacy issues but for a non-conformist, non-heterosexual, atheist it's a way nicer country. Most likely if I'd been a bit older I reckon I'd have left. I can't imagine having being a young adult here in the 80s!! How did you all not just emigrate?!

The collapse of the Soviet bloc and the opening up of Eastern Europe ... All these cities and countries that suddenly appeared from beyond an iron curtain. Happened in my lifetime although I'm too young to remember the before bit, but still very cool.

Cheap and frequent air travel!! There's soooo much more of the world open to me that would have been unaffordable to visit in the 70, 80s and even 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Seeing Green Sea turtles nesting and laying eggs at night on Ascension Island a couple of years ago, then at dawn the thousands of little hatchlings from earlier nests breaking out of the sand and heading down the beach to the sea.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

^ Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Internet.

Stuttgart. 1988. England 0 Ireland 1. I was there.

Something about two weeks ago, 62-38 it ended up to the surprise of many, surprise because 40/41 areas were decent. Ireland 2015.

Nutribullets.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Internet.

Stuttgart. 1988. England 0 Ireland 1. I was there.

Something about two weeks ago, 62-38 it ended up to the surprise of many, surprise because 40/41 areas were decent. Ireland 2015.

Nutribullets.
    I don't know what you are talking about !

Is this some kind of SPY Code !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Large Hadron collider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement