Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what shirt with my grey suit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

I would tend to agree on that front. However, the skinny tie, though very fashionable, may be perceived as trying a little too hard and/or adopting the generic Topman look. Going for a narrow tie by contrast, in the same black or charcoal shade, makes it all that little more mature and confident.

As regards a black shirt, of course these look well with grey suits, but they tend to be the default option for so many young men that it gives the impression of little thought being devoted to the ensemble - i.e. the Junior Cert look. A bit like the black shirt and white tie Debs combo - yeah ya look ravishing :rolleyes:. As someone else mentioned there, even going for a navy shirt rather than black makes the ensemble ever so much more sophisticated for a younger guy. Again, it suggests you know what you're at.

yeh I do agree, just had a look on asos there and skinny ties are actually not nice! I didn't even realise you could get ties so skinny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

dingbat wrote: »
    You'll have to move past the "all pink things are gay" mindset though. A pale pink shirt is part of a basic shirt wardrobe, along with white, pale blue, mid blue, white with blue stripes etc.

Who said your gay if you wear pink, stick to the facts pls. The point is that people would consider you as being gay - i know i would if i saw a bloke in pink. Pink, regardless of tone or lables (salmon), isnt staple to your wardrobe unless your married, emo or your GF dresses you.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭dingbat

red_ice wrote: »
    Who said your gay if you wear pink, stick to the facts pls.
    The OP stated that quite clearly.
    The point is that people would consider you as being gay - i know i would if i saw a bloke in pink.
    You, and the people of which you speak, would be wrong. A guy wearing a pale pink shirt with his suit is automatically gay? Is this deepest, darkest rural Ireland circa 1960? Have to assume you're on a wind-up mission with a statement like that. If not, the tragedy is that you're missing out on a colour that makes quite a lot of Irish blokes look good. And looking good is kind of the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

White pure cotton shirt, can't go wrong, classically elegant. Dark shirts of any hue are for soccer pundits on sky.

• Advertisement

You, and the people of which you speak, would be wrong. A guy wearing a pale pink shirt with his suit is automatically gay? Is this deepest, darkest rural Ireland circa 1960? Have to assume you're on a wind-up mission with a statement like that. If not, the tragedy is that you're missing out on a colour that makes quite a lot of Irish blokes look good. And looking good is kind of the point.

So we can assume if your a bloke you have a pink shirt, or if you're a girl you make your fella wear pink?

Honestly, pink imo makes you look stupid. Im allowed to have my views, and regarless of what you say, they are not 'wrong', they are just different to yours. I feel it looks ridiculous. Especially paired up with a tan. No i dont assume someone is gay, and yes it was (partially)a wind up mission. Im not 'missing out' on anything by not wearing pink. Its a terrible colour, and regardless of what you say it is a feminine colour. I dont like brown on the opposite sex either and no, im not missing out by hating that colour too.

Pink doesnt assert confidence to me, infact it does the opposite. The clothes we wear reflect on a conscious and sub conscious level the type of person we are, and im sorry, but pink to me doesnt give off any good signals.

But again, thats down to what kind of guy the OP is. Is he the musky type guy, the indy rock type guy, the manly type guy, or the pink shirt 'hey guys' *point fingers on both hands and shoot at the air* type guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This is not about the advantages and disadvantages of a pink shirt. The OP wants to know what shirt to wear with a grey suit. Back on topic please or infractions will have to be issued. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Don't go for the skinny tie, it'll make the outfit look cheaper as it does look like a Topman outfit then and is a fairly try-hard look. Go for a slim-fit white shirt anyways and I'm thinking either a silver or black tie, I like the ones below:

http://www.asos.com/French-Connection/French-Connection-Placement-Stripe-Tie/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=600415&cid=6520&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Blue FCUK as well

http://www.asos.com/Ben-Sherman/Ben-Sherman-Spot-Dogtooth-Tie/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=608509&cid=6520&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Silver If you want a design tie

http://www.asos.com/Reiss/Reiss-Morning-Linen-Tie/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=548124&cid=6520&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Grey If you prefer plain

janeybabe wrote: »
    This is not about the advantages and disadvantages of a pink shirt. The OP wants to know what shirt to wear with a grey suit. Back on topic please or infractions will have to be issued. Thank you.

This is on topic. Hes asking what shirt to wear, they say pink, i dont, we are arguing why he should or shouldn't wear the colour pink.

This is on topic. Hes asking what shirt to wear, they say pink, i dont, we are arguing why he should or shouldn't wear the colour pink.

Stop arguing about it. Final warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I'm going to a wedding at the weekend and I've a grey suit and am wearing a white shirt and if I'm being honest I think I might just score in it!....Provided my Girlfriend is not around :rolleyes:!!!

Opps, i ment discussing, not argue.. :)

I have to agree with my co-discusser that the merits of the pink shirt are completely on-topic. Can you please consider rescinding your warning?

As long as it's not about how gay pink shirts are (unless you have a good argument! :D) it's fine. We're not in primary school anymore! :) And that's the last I'll say on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm thinking about starting a thread on color theory.
    The use of colour wheels, complenentary colours, contrasting colours, hues, tones, primaries, secondaries and tertery colours, neutrals and their effects.
    There might be room for a discussion on how different colours are percieved, blue being cold and business like, gold being warm and relaxed, red being hot and vibrant and how these perciptions differ around the world.
    For example white is current wedding wear but red is traditional in the China. Similary, black is the current colour of mourning but it was originally white as late as the 1930. (See Norman Hartnell and the "White Wardrobe")

Wonder if there would be much interest?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I have to agree with my co-discusser that the merits of the pink shirt are completely on-topic. Can you please consider rescinding your warning?

ty dingbat

Yay, speedboatchase comes along, as ever, with some much needed sanity. Fantastic choice of sharp ties there. Spot on.

As long as it's not about how gay pink shirts are (unless you have a good argument! :D) it's fine. We're not in primary school anymore! :) And that's the last I'll say on it.
    Many thanks. Pink may be mentioned again in this thread and I don't want to be risking a ban! :)

Ok, back to the original thing we were talking about. Unfortunately we don't have any more information about the context in which this suit will most likely be worn. However... if it's for a wedding or other such occasion then white, pale blue, pale pink are all perfect. Solid shirts are usually a safer choice for weddings but you can be more interesting with the tie, where something with spots or another subtle pattern would be a nice contrast to the striped suit. Pale shades are great for summer weddings, if they suit you.

Ok, back to the original thing we were talking about. Unfortunately we don't have any more information about the context in which this suit will most likely be worn. However... if it's for a wedding or other such occasion then white, pale blue, pale pink are all perfect. Solid shirts are usually a safer choice for weddings but you can be more interesting with the tie, where something with spots or another subtle pattern would be a nice contrast to the striped suit. Pale shades are great for summer weddings, if they suit you.

OP says the suit is for a graduation however what you say above still rings true. :)
    I saw an suit this morning that looked great. Light gray suit with a pinstrip much like the OP describes. That was worn with a plain white shirt and a grey & white tie. It looked very sharp & business like but he was wearing a pair of oxblood loafers and belt and that made the suit much more casual. Very nice.

• Advertisement

oooh yes, very nice indeed. A classic ensemble.

I recently purchased a slim-fitting Kenneth Cole grey mohair suit, with peaked lapels giving off the faintest of a 1980s whiff.

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Kenneth+Cole+Peak+lapel+mohair+suit+jacket/118184071,default,pd.html

I paired it with a narrow, richly decorous floral charcoal tie, crisp white shirt and the slightest projection of a linear white pocket tissue. Many a compliment was warmly received :)

I like peaked lapels. Got a suit cut, double breasted with peakes...very 1930's. Now hunting for an overcoat to match. I have the sinking feeling that I'm going to have to order one made rather then find an original in or close to my size in the second hand/vintage shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazz Reinhold

Going to a wedding in a couple of weeks, just got myself a new suit....
    Any ideas on what shirt/tie to wear with it?

2zzkkty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I would say a light blue shirt, fitted, with wide spread collar, and a really really rich vibrant blood red tie, not skinny but wide and thick, with perhaps a light pattern running through it. The light blue shirt will pick up the colour of the stripe in the suit, and the red tie will offer a striking contrast. TM Lewin have some very nice ones at the moment, good heavy material and nice subtle designs.

The best way to look good in a suit is to think the classics - either the Italian look with the wide collar and big(ger) knot, or the classic English look with a more fitted jacket, semi-cutaway collar and smaller knot. But never a skinny tie. Never. Get that Topman look out of your head. And your tie should never be a paler colour then your shirt.

Pink is good, however IMO pink looks better with a black or navy suit. It would have to be a very light pink, nearly white, to look good with the grey suit. And you'd need a bold tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

Depends on your skin colour and tone. Grey looks great. Stay clear of purple or maroon shirts. They resemble mafia types.
    I'd opt for a nice white shirt with a maroon tie. Alternatively you could opt for a pale pink shirt.
    Pink is very much in for guys. I know plenty who wear pink shirts both for work and casually.
    Remember, you want to look a class above your classmates!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

My boyfriend got a grey suit in M&S over the w/end and we teamed it with a pale blue shirt with a slight white pinstripe in it and a navy tie - it looks lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eddybear

OK, so I have a wedding coming up and it's a very good friend of mine.

I want to look good, cut above the rest, I was shopping around thinking of combinations since I just did a brown suit with light blue shirt and blue striped tie which i got heavy praises on. :)

I'm dark skinned, more or less around Diddy's complexion which I mention because it so happens he did a Macy commercial and the suit he has on seems to strike a chord with what i was looking to do. He has a light grey suit, white shirt and what appears to be black silk (??) tie (broad??) and pocket square with black belt and also what appears to be black shoes. To me, this is conservative but it looks really good, I was thinking of doing something else like very light blue + dark blue tie + pocket square instead, and then going dark brown on the belt and shoes.

Question is what do you all very seemingly learned folk think about that and would the blue/brown clash? should I stick with the diddy setup?

For those who haven't seen it, here is diddy's outfit:
    diddy-grey-suit.jpg

Advertisement