Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what shirt with my grey suit

Options
  • 11-06-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hey everybody, i bought a fcuk suit yesterday.its a vibrant, lightish grey with a thin white pinstrip. was curios as 2 what shirt and tie would look good with it.
    i was thinking a sort of dark maroon shirt with a maroon or grey tie.
    please give ur advise, only if u know wat your talkin about though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

lilac or light pink shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I wore a light/mid grey suit to a wedding last week, together with a light pink shirt and a hot pink tie. The suggestion I read somewhere on t'internet and it looked very well together, even if I do say so myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

kimmykins wrote: »
    this is a good idea if you wanna look camp i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

A plain white shirt, preferably fitted (as close a white to the pinstripe on your suit).
    You can pretty much go with most block color ties then, its your own choice from here.You really need to bring in your jacket, sit the shirt inside and then pick a tie.A nice purple tie looks good as party wear but it all really depends on the event.
    I think a maroon shirt would look terrible if im honest, you could do a plain white shirt and then a maroon tie.You could try a plain light blue shirt with a deep blue tie, have a try.

black shirt with out a tie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

Ass wrote: »
    this is a good idea if you wanna look camp i guess
    ha:) i aint goin for that look,. its for my grad

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

black shirt with out a tie

Not if you want to look like a Junior Cert student on their results night and/or a member of the mafia.

Agreed that you cannot go wrong with a white shirt with a grey suit - simply superb, more so than with any other colour suit. Coupled with a block colour tie, the ensemble exudes confidence in its freshness, clarity and simplicity. A maroon tie would look very well indeed in such a context - try going for a narrow tie (not skinny, not wide).

Howard in The Apprentice occasionally wore a maroon shirt with a grey suit and a grey tie, and while distinctive, generally speaking it is not a pairing I'd recommend for a graduation (or a tie at all in that context).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

richy1 wrote: »

Id go for a dark shirt but a rich dark navy and navy tie would look great :) also purple and grey look fab too...not lilac though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sidelines

Definitely white shirt. Classic and simple. Two tone grey and black strip tie. Work in finance surrounded by suits (used to work with Italians - heaven in suits!!) and I have to say the maroon/wine coloured shirt tends to look a bit dark and drab with the Irish climate, white is much more fresh. Also imo the very dark coloured wine/dark blue shirts can look a bit cheaper than white, unless you spend a lot of money on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Defo a crisp white shirt. I do like the idea of the light pink one too though! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

sidelines wrote: »
    Two tone grey and black strip tie.

Yep yep yep. Debenhams have a beautiful one right now in a medium width. Just gorgeous with a white shirt and grey suit.

(Debenhams are surprisngly good for sharp modern ties with an enormous selection, given their otherwise universally abominable menswear).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Grey is a neutral colour so it will combine with any colour your choose. Pick a shirt you like and get a strongly contrasting tie & pocket square and the world is your oyster.
    Be careful of patterns though. Don't put more then two patterns together. The suit is striped so either the shirt OR the tie OR both has to be plain.
    Get a good shirt. Find out what your neck size is and get a shirt to fit. French cuffs and cufflinks will put a sharp edge to your look.

Learn to fit the tie knot to the shirt collar, wide knot for a spread collar, narrow know for a narrow spread. So, if you have decided that you want a narrow tie then be sure that you get a shirt with a narrow spread.

There is a rule of thumb for tie/suit combinations that the tie should match the width of the jacket lapel. You will get away with a narrow tie and a large lapel but you will look so much better if they complement each other.

Finally, don't ruin the whole ensamble by wearing tatty shoes or a worn out belt.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Deflector wrote: »
    Not if you want to look like a Junior Cert student on their results night and/or a member of the mafia.

Agreed that you cannot go wrong with a white shirt with a grey suit - simply superb, more so than with any other colour suit. Coupled with a block colour tie, the ensemble exudes confidence in its freshness, clarity and simplicity. A maroon tie would look very well indeed in such a context - try going for a narrow tie (not skinny, not wide).

Howard in The Apprentice occasionally wore a maroon shirt with a grey suit and a grey tie, and while distinctive, generally speaking it is not a pairing I'd recommend for a graduation (or a tie at all in that context).
    yeah i guess ur right

max_Amaury+Nolasco.jpg
    arts-graphics-2007_1182284a.jpg
    74409006george.jpg

i guess they do look like junior cert students on results night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

As long as the black shirt fits well it will look great.

OP: Personally I like a nice dark blue/purple shirt with a grey suit. Don't do pink, imo it's very tired at this stage, everybody does it! It's also very "weddingy".
    Of course a white shirt is the safest option. It's classic, add any colour tie and it'll look great.

Ass: As much as I love George Clooney, that giant picture makes my tiny screen sad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

WOW that IS a big George Cloony picture. Nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Get the pink shirt...

grow a vagina while your at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

red_ice wrote: »
    Get the pink shirt...

i agree, aint goin for da homosexual vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's only gay if it has a gigantic collar

hey everybody, i bought a fcuk suit yesterday.its a vibrant, lightish grey with a thin white pinstrip. was curios as 2 what shirt and tie would look good with it.

What people are getting at is a subtle contrast. The reason they are saying pink imo is that is a light colour to go with the grey, brighten things up etc. however, you have your eye on a contrasting colour. What sort of thing are you going for? Sounds to me like you want a monotone colour scheme. Like people said, in that case a white shirt, however i dont like white shirts, i think its drab - in time that may change, but right now thats not where im at.

Have you looked at something like... this or this?

Without the white collar. Subtlety is the key really - 'understated'. Whats the cut like on the suit? Is it light or dark grey? Is it tight fitting? I only wear tight fitting stuff myself, i have a shirt thats grey, but its got a hint of blue in the colour, looks good with everything. Hard to find them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I would have thought that guys into their fashion and appearance would be less homophobic to go with their metrosexuality. I guess this thread proves me wrong. Although educationally stunted might be a better description for anyone that thinks a pink shirt is 'gay'. I could go getting pictures of my (?) idols, like George Clooney, to demonstrate this, but I ain't that bovvered.

• Advertisement

You look sharp in a grey suit with black unbuttoned shirt. You look like you're trying to pull off wearing a pink shirt for the sake of wearing pink if you wear a pink shirt with a grey suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

red_ice wrote: »
    Get the pink shirt...

And there was a need for that because...?

Use the full keyboard please. Text speak is frowned upon on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 toucan

kimmykins wrote: »

ditto this

janeybabe wrote: »
    Use the full keyboard please. Text speak is frowned upon on boards.ie
    how is that text speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I thought gay was when a man has sex with another man, you telling me now wearing a pink shirt makes you gay too!

For a grey suit id wear a white shirt, skinny black tie, black shoes and black belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

I was watching the international last night, and one of the main (bad) guys was wearing a grey suit with a navy shirt and it looked good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

how is that text speak?

da isnt the

janeybabe wrote: »
    And there was a need for that because...?

only a joke! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭dingbat

Would certainly like to help, however, are you looking to wear this at work (what industry) or for weddings/other "smart" occasions? A bit more info would be great.

You'll have to move past the "all pink things are gay" mindset though. A pale pink shirt is part of a basic shirt wardrobe, along with white, pale blue, mid blue, white with blue stripes etc.

Anyway, as stated above, glad to help if you like.

• Advertisement

White shirt - crisp and fitted - charcoal skinny tie.

You'll look hot!

Advertisement