Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding on motorway

Options
  • 14-01-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

A member of the garda pulled me over during the week on the hard shoulder of the motor way and said I was doing 140kph in a 120kph zone, now I 100% had my cruise control set at 120 MAYBE 125 max and the GPS on my sat nav was indicating it was only 110-115KPH (But I know there not accurate) .

I asked the garda to show me proof that I was actually over the speed limit but she refused, and said a fixed penalty will be issued along with 3 points.

Are they by law to show you on some sort of radar or speed gun that you where over the limit? Because of at the time there where cars flying past me minutes before I was stopped.

Any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

pudzey101 wrote: »
    A female garda pulled me over
    Uh oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A female garda ..........

Is the sex of the Garda relevant? Why mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Oh sorry didn't mean anything by it. Just meant it was a female garda on her own. I always taught there was two in the cars 😂

Edited my title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Ring your local station and ask them. Maybe even get a record of your correspondence. If you are going to appeal the ticket it may boost your case that you took such action straight away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Oral testimony is admissible as evidence, your word against the Garda.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    Ring your local station and ask them. Maybe even get a record of your correspondence. If you are going to appeal the ticket it may boost your case that you took such action straight away.

Good idea will call down in person with all my documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’d challenge it op, it’s a well known fact that females can’t calculate speed accurately, use this as your defence in court.

Whatever speed you were doing could be irrelevant if procedure wasn't followed so I'd say that's your best bet. I don't think you'll get anywhere disputing the speed.

Whatever speed you were doing could be irrelevant if procedure wasn't followed so I'd say that's your best bet. I don't think you'll get anywhere disputing the speed.

Yeah so I've been told, my partner and son was in the car and said I wasnt over the limit. I had seen the garda car parked in on a slip road ahead so I was hardly going to floor it I just leaves cruise control does its job. But obviously my gauge on my my car must be off😬

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The procedure is that a Garda forms the option that you were speeding and the only way to challenge it is to go to court, where its your word against a Garda. Even if they use a device to detect your speed there's no requirement for it to be calibrated or working correctly

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The procedure is that a Garda forms the option that you were speeding and the only way to challenge it is to go to court, where its your word against a Garda. Even if they use a device to detect your speed there's no requirement for it to be calibrated or working correctly

I know there's no point questioning the camera. But is there a requirement for them to show the op when he requested so at the scene?
    If not then yeh they're screwed but if they asked and were denied?

I know there's no point questioning the camera. But is there a requirement for them to show the op when he requested so at the scene?
    If not then yeh they're screwed but if they asked and were denied?

Thing is she said she said she knew by the speed of the car I was over the limit, and when I asked about proving it with evidence I got ate. Had a few people telling me go to local barracks or solicitor. I'd actually hold my hands up if I was speeding or that but I wasn't in this case!!

Another point to enquire about, where she got the number from that she couldn't show you. "she knew by the speed of the car" surely she knew by the speed gun which was claiming to tell her you were doing 140kph.

Absolutely crazy how they can use such a process to prosecute people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Thing is she said she said she knew by the speed of the car I was over the limit, and when I asked about proving it with evidence I got ate. Had a few people telling me go to local barracks or solicitor. I'd actually hold my hands up if I was speeding or that but I wasn't in this case!!

Something similar happened to me passed out a very slow car (going 50km max)garda pulled me over said i pass out on a continuous white line at start of overtake i said i didn't garda was just a liar The minute he came up to window he was like a mad man basically as he was fully sh$t trying to dominate me.fine came in post and as the final part of dominating liar of garda fine me from passing a cyclists in a dangerous manner would you believe it !!!!
    Plus had my dad in car as witness even he said garda was nutter

He only ate you to dominate you .I doubt it happened in cork

Do you have a dash camera? You can work out your speed with the road markings, it will cost you a day off work to go to court and a solicitor to make sure that you don't feck up. Is the fine and increased insurance going to cost that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Whocare wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me passed out a very slow car (going 50km max)garda pulled me over said i pass out on a continuous white line at start of overtake i said i didn't garda was just a liar The minute he came up to window he was like a mad man basically as he was fully sh$t trying to dominate me.fine came in post and as the final part of dominating liar of garda fine me from passing a cyclists in a dangerous manner would you believe it !!!!
    Plus had my dad in car as witness even he said garda was nutter

Something similar happened to a colleague of mine. The guard insisted that she passed on a solid line when there was no solid line on the stretch.

Like the general public there are guards out there with mental issues etc. Their word should not be gospel but sadly our poor legal system allows this.

Mimon wrote: »
    Something similar happened to a colleague of mine. The guard insisted that she passed on a solid line when there was no solid line on the stretch.

Like the general public there are guards out there with mental issues etc. Their word should not be gospel but sadly our poor legal system allows this.

Yeah wouldn't really do good thinking about it that there mentally ill garda out there making up rubbish and **** fine me for passing out cyclist in dangerous manner to top it off I was probably first motorist to get that fine when it came out he probably got hard on thinking about it . And like you said was not worth hassle of going to court and went you lose it extra penalty points evil man with garda like that you can understand why people record any interaction garda

It should be two tier.

Where Garda word versus yours = Fine only.
    Where evidence is present (camera/photo data) = Fine and points.

But that would make some sense so will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

It should be two tier.

Where Garda word versus yours = Fine only.
    Where evidence is present (camera/photo data) = Fine and points.

But that would make some sense so will never happen.

Decent compromise but there should be nothing without evidence. The tech is there if Gardai want to have solid evidence when catching speeders.

• Advertisement

I actually got a fix charged offence in iv only seen after work. It says it was alleged I was doing 140 in a 120 zone. Knowledgeable friend of mine said if I pay that fixed charged I'm admitting to it and getting 3 penalty points.

He said bring it to court and let them prove I was in the wrong, but I'm not wanting that hassle in my life. Even tho I had 2 witnesses in the car to say I was 100% under the limit and there was no evidence shown of me speeding, just asked for my lisence and safe driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

How would the two passengers know what speed you were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

now I 100% had my cruise control set at 120 MAYBE 125 max and the GPS on my sat nav was indicating it was only 110-115KPH (But I know there not accurate) .

The GPS is actually more accurate than the speedometer. Is it actual satnav on the car or say google maps? On my phone I have location history turned on in my maps that I can go back to show when and how long it took me to travel any journey.

Anyway, another good reason to have a dashcam.

Is the fine and increased insurance going to cost that much?

That there is the problem. Gardai can just pull you over and decide you were speeding, and unless you want to face legal costs, time off work, etc. you have to just suck it up.

However, thankfully for the OP, as far as I am aware, a Garda on their own can't do you with 'their word' - as far as I am lead to believe, they must have a witness (usually another Garda) or evidence (speed gun, for example).

I'd happily bet you'll never hear about this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I 100% had my cruise control set at 120 MAYBE 125 max
    Surely this should be an exact number? Which was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

I dont think that they can just assume you were speeding!

Last year i was on my way home from hospital my friends mother had a heart attack scare, three of us went up to bring stuff etc. Was late approx 3am on the way home and a garda on his own in a jeep was hiding somewhere near a petrol station on a 60kph zone short stretch about 1/2 mile long didnt see him tbh I probably wouldn't have taken any notice of him anyway.

5 odd miles from that area i got pulled, garda said do you know how fast you were going in 60 zone i said no idea (honestly didn't know but didnt think it was an excessive speed) he claimed i was doing 100kph in the 60kph.

Took my details ask where I was and why i was speeding told him on the story, he went back to the jeep to get the speed gun and came to window the gun wouldn't recall the speed he tried multiple times.

The garda then said because he can't show me the speed i was doing he had to let me off, he said i know you where doing 100kph but the gun wont show it, slow down in future and safe home.

I have also had the other side of the coin went through a junction at 4 am in the middle of junction light changed to amber, garda sitting opposite of junction came straight out after me and claimed i flew through a straight red, 30 mins of over and back garda wouldn't budge passenger said light was green when i entered junction also.

The garda argument was the light was green and I could see it was green from a long way off and i should have been preparing to stop!!! Madness personified.

Didn't bother challenging it took it in the chin following advice from here as it was his word v mine sadly it would be a miracle if judge went against gardas word.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Rubbish. They have to be calibrated and they have to produce the calibration certificate in court if required. Theyre sent off to be calibrated every few months and a new certificate issued. Fact.

I'd challenge it, tell them you asked to see the speed gun and she refused to show it to you. As far as I know they have to show you it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Victor wrote: »
    Surely this should be an exact number? Which was it?

Not necessarily. The cruise control can be set at whatever is on the speedo. I use it all the time and I couldn't swear on where exactly it was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a look on their Twitter recently, and it showed an image of a car at almost 800m. This would be fine if no other cars were present, but there were multiple cars in the frame, with the target car partially obscuring another from the perspective of the laser/camera.

I looked at the spec of the gun, and the divergence of the laser at that distance is over 2m wide, so it could have been from the other car. And that's before considering the alignment of the camera.

If it was me, I would have no issue going to court over that particular one with professional evidence.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. They have to be calibrated and they have to produce the calibration certificate in court if required. Theyre sent off to be calibrated every few months and a new certificate issued. Fact.

I'd challenge it, tell them you asked to see the speed gun and she refused to show it to you. As far as I know they have to show you it.

Rubbish is what you are typing
    It is not necessary to prove that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.

Advertisement