Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council 2019-2024

Options
  • 27-05-2019 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,288 ✭✭✭✭

Note that anyone who is also elected elsewhere (Oireachtas, another council, European Parliament), has to choose where to sit. Their replacement is then chosen by by-election (Oireachtas), their party (council) or list (European Parliament).

Fine Gael 13
    Fianna Fáil 7
    Green Party 6
    Labour Party 6
    Independent 5
    Solidarity-PBP 2
    Social Democrats 1
    Total 40

Sorted by Local Electoral Area, then first name.
    Barry Ward Fine Gael Blackrock
    Deirdre Kingston Labour Party Blackrock
    Kate Feeney Fianna Fáil Blackrock
    Marie Baker Fine Gael Blackrock
    Mary Hanafin Fianna Fáil Blackrock
    Séafra Ó Faoláin Green Party Blackrock
    Cormac Devlin Fianna Fáil Dún Laoghaire
    Dave Quinn Social Democrats Dún Laoghaire
    John Bailey Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    Juliet O’Connell Labour Party Dún Laoghaire
    Lorraine Hall Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    Melisa Halpin Solidarity-PBP Dún Laoghaire
    Ossian Smyth Green Party Dún Laoghaire
    Anna Grainger Fine Gael Dundrum
    Anne Colgan Independent Dundrum
    Daniel Dunne Green Party Dundrum
    Jim O’Leary Fine Gael Dundrum
    Peter O’Brien Labour Party Dundrum
    Sean McLoughlin Independent Dundrum
    Shay Brennan Fianna Fáil Dundrum
    Deirdre Ní Fhlionn Green Party Glencullen-Sandyford
    Emma Louise Blain Fine Gael Glencullen-Sandyford
    Kazi Ahmed Fine Gael Glencullen-Sandyford
    Lettie McCarthy Labour Party Glencullen-Sandyford
    Lynsey McGovern Independent Glencullen-Sandyford
    Michael Fleming Independent Glencullen-Sandyford
    Tom Murphy Fianna Fáil Glencullen-Sandyford
    Carrie Smyth Labour Party Killiney-Shankill
    Denis O’Callaghan Labour Party Killiney-Shankill
    Hugh Lewis Solidarity-PBP Killiney-Shankill
    Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Fine Gael Killiney-Shankill
    Jim Gildea Fine Gael Killiney-Shankill
    Michael Clark Fianna Fáil Killiney-Shankill
    Una Power Green Party Killiney-Shankill
    Barry Saul Fine Gael Stillorgan
    Deirdre Donnelly Independent Stillorgan
    Donál Smith Fianna Fáil Stillorgan
    Eva Elizabeth Dowling Green Party Stillorgan
    John Kennedy Fine Gael Stillorgan
    Maeve O’Connell Fine Gael Stillorgan

Sorted by Party, then first name.
    Cormac Devlin Fianna Fáil Dún Laoghaire
    Donál Smith Fianna Fáil Stillorgan
    Kate Feeney Fianna Fáil Blackrock
    Mary Hanafin Fianna Fáil Blackrock
    Michael Clark Fianna Fáil Killiney-Shankill
    Shay Brennan Fianna Fáil Dundrum
    Tom Murphy Fianna Fáil Glencullen-Sandyford
    Anna Grainger Fine Gael Dundrum
    Barry Saul Fine Gael Stillorgan
    Barry Ward Fine Gael Blackrock
    Emma Louise Blain Fine Gael Glencullen-Sandyford
    Jennifer Carroll MacNeill Fine Gael Killiney-Shankill
    Jim Gildea Fine Gael Killiney-Shankill
    Jim O’Leary Fine Gael Dundrum
    John Bailey Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    John Kennedy Fine Gael Stillorgan
    Kazi Ahmed Fine Gael Glencullen-Sandyford
    Lorraine Hall Fine Gael Dún Laoghaire
    Maeve O’Connell Fine Gael Stillorgan
    Marie Baker Fine Gael Blackrock
    Daniel Dunne Green Party Dundrum
    Deirdre Ní Fhlionn Green Party Glencullen-Sandyford
    Eva Elizabeth Dowling Green Party Stillorgan
    Ossian Smyth Green Party Dún Laoghaire
    Séafra Ó Faoláin Green Party Blackrock
    Una Power Green Party Killiney-Shankill
    Anne Colgan Independent Dundrum
    Deirdre Donnelly Independent Stillorgan
    Lynsey McGovern Independent Glencullen-Sandyford
    Michael Fleming Independent Glencullen-Sandyford
    Sean McLoughlin Independent Dundrum
    Carrie Smyth Labour Party Killiney-Shankill
    Deirdre Kingston Labour Party Blackrock
    Denis O’Callaghan Labour Party Killiney-Shankill
    Juliet O’Connell Labour Party Dún Laoghaire
    Lettie McCarthy Labour Party Glencullen-Sandyford
    Peter O’Brien Labour Party Dundrum
    Dave Quinn Social Democrats Dún Laoghaire
    Hugh Lewis Solidarity-PBP Killiney-Shankill
    Melisa Halpin Solidarity-PBP Dún Laoghaire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Thanks for posting that! A very helpful view of it all. Looking at those results (and I'm sorry to see a couple of names missing from it) it looks like the situation in the Council Chamber is similar to last term with 20 Councillors between FF/FG and another 20 on the "opposition" benches. All 3 Sinn Fein representatives gone this time around, Green Party representation doubled, some Independent shuffling and a Social Democrat in Dun Laoghaire.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Having a Labour seat back in Dun Laoghaire Ward is significant, local business owner Juliet O'Connell. Very surprised Michael Merrigan got the boot, less so Mary Fayne.

I've also heard a lot in recent months that John Bailey is in very poor health, I think the people of Dun Laoghaire had a right to know that. Perhaps connected to the political assassination job that has hit Maria Bailey in the last week (though she helps herself not one bit in that regard)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Perhaps connected to the political assassination job that has hit Maria Bailey in the last week (though she helps herself not one bit in that regard)

No assassination, 100% self inflicted.

ted1 wrote: »
    No assassination, 100% self inflicted.

Who sourced the Court docs and inspired the story in the previous weekend's papers? The sniff to the journo came either from within FG or another party, had to.

I’m surprised he got re-elected. There’s plenty of dirt floating around about him with out even mentioning his daughter.

• Advertisement

Who sourced the Court docs and inspired the story in the previous weekend's papers? The sniff to the journo came either from within FG or another party, had to.

When was it in court or due to be before the court ?

Journos do look up court cases.

When was it in court or due to be before the court ?

Journos do look up court cases.

As I understand it, it hadn't had a hearing as yet.

Certainly they do, but I can't accept the nature and timing of this one being anything other than a political hatchet job. Given the number of buses her fellow FGers have fired her under since Thursday, its impossible to say whether it came from within or without her own party.

Update: Journo who covered the story for the Herald is on Claire Byrne, says they got a "tip-off" on the eve the case was to receive its first hearing in Court.

Having a Labour seat back in Dun Laoghaire Ward is significant, local business owner Juliet O'Connell. Very surprised Michael Merrigan got the boot, less so Mary Fayne.

I've also heard a lot in recent months that John Bailey is in very poor health, I think the people of Dun Laoghaire had a right to know that. Perhaps connected to the political assassination job that has hit Maria Bailey in the last week (though she helps herself not one bit in that regard)

Was sad to see Michael Merrigan lose his seat - very hard worker but perhaps the fact that he didn't get credit for that hard work in the chamber and at committee is symptomatic of the disconnect between Council and People.

If John Bailey isn't able to take up his seat then he and his party colleagues can co-opt a substitute of their choice on to the council. He's not the vote-getter he once was though with his first preference dropping to about 1500 this time around. So Mary Fayne may get back in through the back door!

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

She is done as a td. She’s made an absolute laughing stock off herself . This morning on Sean o rourke was absolute cringe . Probaly won’t even run next time as she will realize soon if not already that she will have no chance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Update: Journo who covered the story for the Herald is on Claire Byrne, says they got a "tip-off" on the eve the case was to receive its first hearing in Court.

Journalists constantly get tips from people in the courts about well known names that appear on court documents or District Court summons. My guess is that most news reporters have a contact down in the Four Courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He's not looking well in this

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1137023649507139584

Jesus, thats an understatement. He doesn't even look like he knows he's there.

I know the man is ill, but I reiterate that the voters had a right to know that his capacity is clearly impaired. This is not his seat, its not a Fine Gael seat, it belongs to the people of the Ward to choose who best to fill it. Whoever gets co-opted, probably sooner than later, nobody elected. Its a deeply cynical move that this illness was not disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Jesus, thats an understatement. He doesn't even look like he knows he's there.

I know the man is ill, but I reiterate that the voters had a right to know that his capacity is clearly impaired. This is not his seat, its not a Fine Gael seat, it belongs to the people of the Ward to choose who best to fill it. Whoever gets co-opted, probably sooner than later, nobody elected. Its a deeply cynical move that this illness was not disclosed.

Couldn’t agree more. Doesn’t make sense when someone is clearly that ill in running for public office. It’s a disservice to the electorate. Methinks the lust for power hasn’t been degraded though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cllr Bailey has died. Remarkable that he chose to run for election again considering how poor his health was (motor neuron disease).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-councillor-and-ex-gaa-chairman-john-bailey-dies-1.3951196?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Cllr Bailey has died. Remarkable that he chose to run for election again considering how poor his health was (motor neuron disease).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-councillor-and-ex-gaa-chairman-john-bailey-dies-1.3951196?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not to speak ill of the dead but it just shows that greed and the lust for power (of some sorts) is a powerful incentive. The man should never have sought re_election given the state of his health but it makes it easier to have somebody else from the "inner sanctum" to be co-opted to the council. Cynical to say the least.

Not to speak ill of the dead but it just shows that greed and the lust for power (of some sorts) is a powerful incentive. The man should never have sought re_election given the state of his health but it makes it easier to have somebody else from the "inner sanctum" to be co-opted to the council. Cynical to say the least.

I don’t think he actively campaigned. Reflects worse on people that voted for him.

Does the seat get allocated ? Might be the reason he ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,288 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the seat get allocated ?
    For political organisations, it is usual for them to co-opt a new councillor. For independents, it is usually the family.

I don’t think he actively campaigned. Reflects worse on people that voted for him.

It really doesn't reflect worse on the voters, it reflects dreadfully on FG and the local Bailey organisation that he was put forward in his state of health without full disclosure.

Of course its the reason he ran, but given zero prospect of him having any capacity to fulfil the role, its massively disrespectful of the electorate to say the least. I'd have had more respect if they had just said, 'John is very ill and not fit to continue representing the DL ward, but he wishes to endorse X' even if that was a family member or inexperienced FGer. These seats belong to NOBODY except the citizens.

I'm not going to say RIP or any of that because Johm Bailey was a thoroughly obnoxious individual in life, but I do sympathetise with any family that loses someone close to them.

P.S. Judging by the heat of the comments on social media on this topic, its clear that many people feel similarly duped.

Coincidentally, Ross Perot also died today. I say 'coincidentally' because he and John Bailey (and Trump!) were older wealthy guys who, late in life, decided to go into politics. Some of you may remember getting a glossy tabloid circular through the letterbox in the late 1990s called the 'Larry Butler report'. He was an FF dude with lots of money and time on his hands and who decided to go into politics. His 'report' was a series of photos of Larry and any important person (preferably Bertie or a FF minister) who happened to pass through DL. Mary Hanafin and Barry Andrews successfully kept him off the ticket in general elections, they had the constituency carved up and didn't want a third FF candidate.

John Bailey was an FG candidate in their worst ever election - the general election of 2002 which followed the retirement of the two sitting FG TDs - Sean Barrett and Monica Barnes. The perception that two seats were going a begging attracted carpetbaggers like Helen Keogh, who jumped ship from the PDs, joined FG and was nominated. John Bailey and Liam Cosgrave Jr. were also nominated, even though Cosgrave had corruption allegations swirling around him at the time and had last been elected as a TD 20 years previously, in 1982.

The 2002 general election in DL was particularly noteworthy for the outright war that the FG candidates waged against each other - not one of the candidates' election flyers or posters mentioned their running mates by name. No surprise then that FG succeeded in losing both of their seats, Mary Hanafin got more first preferences than the three FG candidates put together. And the PDs got their revenge on Helen Keogh - Dessie O'Malley's daughter Fiona stood for the PDs and was elected.

Despite getting the lowest number of first preferences of the three FG candidates, Bailey clearly didn't give up as he stood again in the 2007 general election, this time alongside Sean Barrett who was persuaded to come out of retirement and took back one FG seat. Bailey ran three times for the Seanad on one of the vocational panels but failed to get elected so he finally condescended to sit on DLR county council. The loss to national politics is incalculable.

• Advertisement

The party gets to appoint the successor - a very, very cynical move by the local FG unit.

The party gets to appoint the successor - a very, very cynical move by the local FG unit.

And is there a death in service payout ?

And the mention of Hanafin above made me laugh. Her mother sued the Dail when she hit taking in for a tour. Must be a South Dublin politician trait. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-for-hanafin-mum-after-leinster-house-fall-26657826.html

And is there a death in service payout ?
    Seriously doubt it - Councillors don't get any pension at all now, so there would hardly be a payout on death.

Seriously doubt it - Councillors don't get any pension at all now, so there would hardly be a payout on death.

They seem to get 1 years salary or so. Not much.
    http://lama.ie/2013/04/24/elected-members-retirement-scheme/

But they do get a gratuity When they retire https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/council-democracy/councillor-payments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is fundamentally a problem with the system, though. I mean yes, it's totally unethical of the party, but in politics, you give them the opportunity to behave unethically and they almost always will. Why don't we have a system of by-elections for council seats the way we to with Oireachtas ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Does anyone have an idea when there will there be news on who is co-opted by FG for JB?

Parkender wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea when there will there be news on who is co-opted by FG for JB?

I would imagine that the co-opting will take place (formally) at the next Council meeting which is in early September.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I'm not one to speak ill of the dead but I heard a rumour that the old coot was suing DLRCoCo for a workplace accident (a slip in the canteen that caused a broken leg a few years back). Any truth to that? And in any case, do cases like that stop when the plantiff dies?

And in any case, do cases like that stop when the plantiff dies?

His family would need to show that his death was hastened by the accident. Even then, their case (for emotional loss) would be statute limited. Otherwise, the case dies with him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can't slander the dead, say whatever you like.

Advertisement