Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-01-2021, 09:36   #61
positron
Registered User
 
positron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch000 View Post
Jackwolfskin gear is excellent too
And they seems to have a decent sale on as well: https://www.jack-wolfskin.ie/

Looks good, I might cancel / return the NF order.
positron is online now  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2021, 12:09   #62
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 20,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birneybau View Post
Genuine question, and I'll look on the North Face site to see if there's anything I want (for hiking).

What are the best outdoor brands now?

Is Berghaus well regarded?
If you want the best gear, the best advice IMO is to buy from specialised manufactures who focus on specific areas that they are the experts in, rather then wide brands like NF that do a bit of everything.

Jack of all trades, master of none

So for example:
- Backpacks: Osprey, Gregor
- Shoes: Salomon, Merrell, Scarpa, Meindl
- Jackets: Rab, Arc'teryx
- Baselayers, Tshirts, Jumpers, hats, gloves: Icebreaker Merino Wool
- Socks: Darn Tough I love though hard to get here, Icebreaker as a second option.
- Pants: Columbia, North Face

A lot of these can be quiet expensive brands, but if you keep an eye out on end of season sales, you can get good reductions that bring them down to the same as cheaper brands, while offering better quality/technical ability.
bk is offline  
21-01-2021, 12:37   #63
fdevine
Registered User
 
fdevine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
If you want the best gear, the best advice IMO is to buy from specialised manufactures who focus on specific areas that they are the experts in, rather then wide brands like NF that do a bit of everything.

Jack of all trades, master of none

So for example:
- Backpacks: Osprey, Gregor
- Shoes: Salomon, Merrell, Scarpa, Meindl
- Jackets: Rab, Arc'teryx
- Baselayers, Tshirts, Jumpers, hats, gloves: Icebreaker Merino Wool
- Socks: Darn Tough I love though hard to get here, Icebreaker as a second option.
- Pants: Columbia, North Face

A lot of these can be quiet expensive brands, but if you keep an eye out on end of season sales, you can get good reductions that bring them down to the same as cheaper brands, while offering better quality/technical ability.
Worth keeping an eye on M&MDirect & Sports Direct. I got Salomon shoes very cheap on SD not that long ago

FWIW M&MDirect are now covering VAT & duty for IE customers
fdevine is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2021, 13:49   #64
basill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,164
Ski shops will be dumping gear shortly as well and clearing out "last seasons" lines.
basill is online now  
(2) thanks from:
23-01-2021, 20:37   #65
corks finest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdevine View Post
Worth keeping an eye on M&MDirect & Sports Direct. I got Salomon shoes very cheap on SD not that long ago

FWIW M&MDirect are now covering VAT & duty for IE customers
Yeah picked up a Berghaus waterproof jacket and hiking boots early last year and saved over e100
corks finest is online now  
Advertisement
23-01-2021, 20:41   #66
Bearcat1
Banned
 
Bearcat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
And they seems to have a decent sale on as well: https://www.jack-wolfskin.ie/

Looks good, I might cancel / return the NF order.
The Bearcat means no offence, however the Bearcat advises you to go start your own thread.
Bearcat1 is offline  
23-01-2021, 20:45   #67
positron
Registered User
 
positron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,893
ah jesus, bearcat is on the lash, again.
positron is online now  
24-01-2021, 02:26   #68
sector_000
Registered User
 
sector_000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 282
Just paid ~€119 (down from €220, with 10% newsletter additional discount) for a Triclimate Jacket for hiking
My current Regatta jacket has served me well... but isn't fully waterproof... and has become a big manky over the years
Fingers crossed it all works out well.
Cheers OP!
sector_000 is offline  
Thanks from:
24-01-2021, 08:31   #69
OmegaGene
Registered User
 
OmegaGene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 13,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector_000 View Post
Just paid ~€119 (down from €220, with 10% newsletter additional discount) for a Triclimate Jacket for hiking
My current Regatta jacket has served me well... but isn't fully waterproof... and has become a big manky over the years
Fingers crossed it all works out well.
Cheers OP!
Those jackets are very good, I had one for 4 years and it never let me down it all weathers
OmegaGene is offline  
Advertisement
24-01-2021, 15:30   #70
corks finest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaGene View Post
Those jackets are very good, I had one for 4 years and it never let me down it all weathers
I
e23

Last edited by corks finest; 24-01-2021 at 15:34.
corks finest is online now  
26-01-2021, 14:01   #71
positron
Registered User
 
positron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,893
Bought NorthFace Tetsu 2.0 as well as Jack Wolfstien Caledon jackets and got them both delivered today.

Both are nice as casual wear. Both M and both a bit too wide strangely. Anyway the NF is a bit too plasticky, so it's going back. Keeping Jack Wolfstien Caledon.
positron is online now  
26-01-2021, 14:35   #72
Physicskid9
Banned
 
Physicskid9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 106
The North Face stuff is lovely but it's some price. How does every second student in town seem to have a 300 + euro jacket?
Physicskid9 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-01-2021, 14:37   #73
Skidfingers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physicskid9 View Post
The North Face stuff is lovely but it's some price. How does every second student in town seem to have a 300 + euro jacket?

Most of them are fakes you'd get for €120.
Skidfingers is offline  
26-01-2021, 16:30   #74
Oafley Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physicskid9 View Post
The North Face stuff is lovely but it's some price. How does every second student in town seem to have a 300 + euro jacket?
You'd rarely see NF jackets in that price point in town. Most are Tri-Climates that are easily gotten at 100-150.
Oafley Jones is online now  
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2021, 16:43   #75
Buddy Bubs
Registered User
 
Buddy Bubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 486
Some reason I got Canada goose ads popping up, Google must think I'm a drug dealer. Or maybe from clicking links in this thread.
Anyway, the price of them, holy moly.
I knew they were expensive but this is ridiculous, 2000 a jacket. I've a good job and I'd like to think I earn more than a teenage drug dealer at bottom rung of the ladder but I was surprised at myself last year paying 250 for a timberland jacket, most I've ever spent.
Buddy Bubs is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet