Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The North Face sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I still love some of the North Face gear and their to end stuff is still technically very impressive.
    Will take a look at the sale, but already sound like pricing may not be hugely impressive.

My problem with the skanger/chav element is it seems that TNF have leaned into it from a design perspective and appear to be creating outdoor leisure wear as part of their offerings now. A quick browse of their site a the slots of models wearing the products pretty much sports this. 10 yes who it would have been all people on mountains etc, current images look like joints and cans have been photoshopped out ��
    I would have preferred of they created a separate brand or labelled slightly differently, but I get why they wouldn't as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Pppst... North Face is just a poor skanger's Canada Goose... It's insane the amount of these jackets on the boys around parts of North Dublin - like they are near a grand as I drive by in a barely NCT passable car. Can't all be real can they or going to college was the wrong career choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

positron wrote: »
    Skangers / people with dodgy money are often the first to buy expensive branded stuff.

I would love a nice Patagonia jacket myself (not that I can afford one) - but what if it become fashionable with the wrong group... :)

Never heard of a patagonia, just goes to show how much of a dinosaur I am, I

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Never heard of a patagonia, just goes to show how much of a dinosaur I am, I

Patagonia is very hip I believe - They are like "please don't buy our stuff unless you really need to" and we will fix it or buy back etc. Big into reduce & recycle motto which I think is their main selling point.

This interview with the founder of Patagonia is really interesting too.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/06/572558864/patagonia-yvon-chouinard?t=1611146489948

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    na disagree there, id say most of my outdoor friends would class north face as a very good brand, but they are way over priced, i certainly wouldnt be paying full price anyway

As a hiker, yes NF still makes excellent hiking and ski gear.

However they have leaned very heavily into street wear now and the quality of a lot of there clothes is now pretty poor, so don't just assume because it is NF, that it is high quality gear. I've even heard that some of the lines which were previously very well made, are now much more cheaply made.

The hiking/snow gear specific stuff seems to be still decent. Yes a bit over priced compared to other hiking gear companies, but during sales, can come down to reasonable prices (for hiking gear) and can be well worth it. Roughly half my gear is from NF and they are excellent, in particular I like there pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Patagonia is very hip I believe - They are like "please don't buy our stuff unless you really need to" and we will fix it or buy back etc. Big into reduce & recycle motto which I think is their main selling point.

This interview with the founder of Patagonia is really interesting too.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/06/572558864/patagonia-yvon-chouinard?t=1611146489948

I have a Patagonia jacket from over 10 years ago, was my regular jacket for years but still get some use out of it every year, it's nearly indestructible, ridiculously long arms on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Amazing how things go in and out of fashion.

I recall Patagonia in the late 90's was skanger gear.

Anyway, I've a waterproof NF jacket and nice black NF fleece, and I would hike.

Wouldn't give a sh!te what anyone would think if they saw me sweating/freezing up a mountain. Don't really give a sh!te in general.

Find the idea someone thinking their choice of Air Max styles over the skanger ones makes them a stylish discerning adult hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If you are looking for outdoor good quality clothing, Cotswold have a sale on at the moment.

All the good brands available.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/mens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Birneybau wrote: »

Wouldn't give a sh!te what anyone would think if they saw me sweating/freezing up a mountain. Don't really give a sh!te in general.

Find the idea someone thinking their choice of Air Max styles over the skanger ones makes them a stylish discerning adult hilarious.

I got a Patagonia fleece last year, got it bought for me.

Wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but love it now. so cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

extra 10% off as well for signing up to their newsletter

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If you are looking for outdoor good quality clothing, Cotswold have a sale on at the moment.

All the good brands available.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/mens.html

Do they not ship from UK? Might incur 23% VAT + courier processing fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I bought a Gilet five years ago for €130 and love it, down filled and very warm. Now €200+ so would be reluctant to pay that for a Gilet. I did however buy a down filled jacket recently for about €280. I really feel the cold and I have to say it’s fantastic quality. Hoping I’ll get 10 years out of it. I had a raincoat about 10 years ago which lasted well, have struggled to replace it as the quality of those doesn’t seem quite as good to me.
    No doubt the number of kids with The North Face made me think twice about my latest purchase (I’m mid 40’s) but I don’t regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well I hope not, I bought a few items yesterday.
    I thought because they have a store in Dundrum that I'd get away with any extra costs.

Time will tell.

Genuine question, and I'll look on the North Face site to see if there's anything I want (for hiking).

What are the best outdoor brands now?

Is Berghaus well regarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Been a while since I bought from them, but I'd swear they sent from Belgium or Holland back in the day.

Their website does state "Taxes and duties are already included in the product cost."

Patagonia and Scanda were the jackets du jour of the discerning scangers back in the 90s alright. I had a bright yellow one that I got for Xmas one year, it was savage.

Genuine question, and I'll look on the North Face site to see if there's anything I want (for hiking).

Berghaus is, I did my research before purchasing the waterproof coat, I've been using it in all weather's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the ones you chose to be

berghaus is grand alright

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Can't got wrong with Berghaus and Northface

fulhamfan wrote: »
    Can't got wrong with Berghaus and Northface

Mountain warehouse up to 50 pc off atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bk wrote: »
    As a hiker, yes NF still makes excellent hiking and ski gear.

However they have leaned very heavily into street wear now and the quality of a lot of there clothes is now pretty poor, so don't just assume because it is NF, that it is high quality gear. I've even heard that some of the lines which were previously very well made, are now much more cheaply made.

The hiking/snow gear specific stuff seems to be still decent. Yes a bit over priced compared to other hiking gear companies, but during sales, can come down to reasonable prices (for hiking gear) and can be well worth it. Roughly half my gear is from NF and they are excellent, in particular I like there pants.

Have been wearing their gear for almost 20 years now, and they still do some great stuff. Have two NF Apex Flex jackets for different conditions and they're superb jackets. I also like the dark grey logo on black, so doesn't shout out the brand... which is something I hate from all brands. There is a wide variation in quality of their offerings though and overall it's no where near what it was. I dug out a 15 year Nuptse jacket recently and it's leagues ahead of a newer thermoball I own, especially noticeable around the cuffs. You just need to be very aware when you're not paying for their top tier stuff.

I'm just not sure I'd buy the new stuff. They've switched from Gore-Tex (which is admittedly rotten stuff environmentally) to their in-house futurelight material. And while they seem to hit the marks for waterproofness/breathability, there seems to be question marks as regards durability. Looking around, I keep seeing Arcteryx recommended. But the prices are at least x2 NF and I'm not sure I can justify it.

Edit: just seen Augeo’s comments on CSN. Lol. As another past pupil I can totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am a very happy Berghaus customer for many years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

pm1977x wrote: »
    I have a Patagonia jacket from over 10 years ago, was my regular jacket for years but still get some use out of it every year, it's nearly indestructible, ridiculously long arms on it though!

Forgot to mention, (breathes on watch and polishes it) I've been to Patagonia. Didn't wear Air Max though.

Was a former BA for the ages. Dublin to Buenos Aires return for €375. Return flights from there to Patagonia about €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Jackwolfskin gear is excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Augeo wrote: »
    It's grand for outdoors folk IMO, much like HH gear...... I'd not wear that casually in a fit either as it's worn by a load of knobs. Grand on a boat though.

I'm speaking as an adult :) I don't really want to dress like a teenager.
    I went to school in Bishopstown, plenty wannabe skangers there iirc :pac:
    Best of luck to him with his teaching career.

I'm fully aware there are folk other than skangers, wannabe skangers and outdoorsy folk who wear NF but as I said, IMO the brand has been ruined.

Example.......... ross%20kemp%20on%20gangs.jpg

That's not a skanger.

That's Ross Kemp the TV personality.

Notch000 wrote: »

Yeah that brand gets great reviews but expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's not a skanger.

That's Ross Kemp the TV personality.

Alcoholic-Phil-has-been-drinking-himself-into-the-ground-in-recent-episodes-429055.jpg

Phil would be upset with that assertion of Grant !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Wouldn’t go near this brand anymore. It’s now standard issue for the grey tracksuit - electric scooter brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Valresnick wrote: »
    Wouldn’t go near this brand anymore. It’s now standard issue for the grey tracksuit - electric scooter brigade.

jesus, people really are weird with this stuff

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »

And they seems to have a decent sale on as well: https://www.jack-wolfskin.ie/

Looks good, I might cancel / return the NF order.

Advertisement