Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building Fitness Question

• 22-11-2019 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a query around building up my fitness levels further. A typical week for me is as below:

Cycle 100km (20km per day - 10km each way) per week commuting in/out of work (usually try to keep in/around 30kmph). 2 to 3 5/6km lunchtime runs (try to keep 5min per km pace, 5km PB just over 21mins). Astro football for 60/80mins once per week. 1 to 2 gym sessions per week 30/40mins - 500metre rower (PB 1:50), free weights, squats, bench press, etc.

Playing Astro I make bursts of pace now and then but really feel it. I can consistently keep a good pace running but it's the hard pushes where I really feel it. What type of exercises could I do to improve on this? I feel my fitness is kind of stagnant even for what I feel is a decent week's training.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a query around building up my fitness levels further. A typical week for me is as below:

Cycle 100km (20km per day - 10km each way) per week commuting in/out of work (usually try to keep in/around 30kmph). 2 to 3 5/6km lunchtime runs (try to keep 5min per km pace, 5km PB just over 21mins). Astro football for 60/80mins once per week. 1 to 2 gym sessions per week 30/40mins - 500metre rower (PB 1:50), free weights, squats, bench press, etc.

Playing Astro I make bursts of pace now and then but really feel it. I can consistently keep a good pace running but it's the hard pushes where I really feel it. What type of exercises could I do to improve on this? I feel my fitness is kind of stagnant even for what I feel is a decent week's training.

thank you

All the cycling and running is great for aerobic fitness but doesn't do much for anaerobic fitness which is what you need for those shirts sprints in football.

To improve that aspect of your fitness, you need to train for it.

Im not a coach so im not saying this is the best/optimal training but it did help me.

I just did a lot of shuttle runs of sprints; straight sprints and sprints with changes in direction. I'd also been doing intervals on the treadmill for general anaerobic training but the sprints on the grass, with changes in direction made the biggest difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

yup, agree with above.

I'd start looking at tempo runs. maybe 400 metres fast runs, short breaks and go again.

Also definitely shuttle runs - what it sounds like you are lacking the most is ability to break momentum and start again. So any shuttles where you have to change direction and come to a stop and start will help.

Look up the broncho fitness test or something similar. Run out 20m and back, then run out 40m and back, then out 60m and back, and then do this 5 times for time without a rest. Professional rugby players aim for under 4:30 I believe (don't know about soccer).

Another thing you could do is go on the treadmill (or the road) and run interval sprints, so sprint for 40 seconds at 19km.h, then 20 at 17km/hr and continue that for blocks of 10 mins. (whatever speed works for your fitness level).

Advertisement