Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Quirke -Guilty

• 01-05-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Seems to me the ex had something to do with this too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Very odd, he'll surely appeal. Whatever about the ins and outs of the case, there was no clear evidence that he murdered anybody. All they really demonstrated was possible motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Very odd, he'll surely appeal. Whatever about the ins and outs of the case, there was no clear evidence that he murdered anybody. All they really demonstrated was possible motive.

Not a shread of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems to me the ex had something to do with this too

Good job he/she is your 'ex' then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Kind of surprised.I believe he probably did it but the evidence was weak.

I imagine he'll appeal the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

A lot of indications he was up to no good but no actual evidence.
    Hardly proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The bauld Mary Lowry was as dodgy as he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Very surprised.

Listening to the daily trial updates, I was wondering how the prosecution brought a case at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Although the evidence was circumstantial, it certainly wasn’t ‘weak’.

The moment I heard he had been searching for how long it takes bodies to decompose on the internet in the days after Bobby Ryan went missing, I knew he was guilty as sin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Based on what was in the media its a shocking verdict. Very little evidence to send somebody down for a life sentence.

In fact more suspicion on the lowry woman imo than quirke.

On an aside..there seems to be some fierce amount of middle aged riding going on. I'll never believe my single mates telling me its hard to date in your 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

The staging of finding the body was a bit of a give away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I wasn't surprised it was taking the jury ages but knew they'd come back fairly quickly after this mornings directive from the judge

Evidence was a bit circumstantial for my liking.

Based on media anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Based on what was in the media its a shocking verdict. Very little evidence to send somebody down for a life sentence.

In fact more suspicion on the lowry woman imo than quirke.

On an aside..there seems to be some fierce amount of middle aged riding going on. I'll never believe my single mates telling me its hard to date in your 40s.
    I remember reading a few years back that STIs were increasing rapidly in the over 50s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Faugheen wrote: »

The moment I heard he had been searching for how long it takes bodies to decompose on the internet in the days after Bobby Ryan went missing, I knew he was guilty as sin.

I know what you mean..but ive looked up mad **** on the net too...and that particular stuff too....its not enough to send somebody down for a life sentence imo...

The burden of proof should be very high cos the consequences are very high and I dont this it was even close to that in this case.

Did they say those searches were in the days after and did they present evidence as to who performed the searches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Scary that you could get a life sentence based on that evidence.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Did they say those searches were in the days after and did they present evidence as to who performed the searches?

Yes they did, and Patrick Quirke admitted to the Gardai to searching that on the internet but claimed it was in relation to his dead son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Surely Mary Lowry could have been found as guilty of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Yes they did, and Patrick Quirke admitted to the Gardai to searching that on the internet but claimed it was in relation to his dead son.

Who hadn’t actually died yet.

Only he managed to search if before his son died...

I think it would have been terrible if he wasn’t found guilty. Glad he isn't getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Odelay wrote: »
    I think it would have been terrible if he wasn’t found guilty. Glad he isn't getting away with it.

Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

• Advertisement

Same. Think people need to learn the difference between circumstantial evidence and no evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lots of evidence against him was ruled inadmissible by his defence team.
    Details on RTE:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0501/1046863-what-the-quirke-trial-jury-didnt-hear/

Said with scary conviction! Just hope that if any misfortune befalls you and you end up on trial, that the jurors will be open minded :)

The jury took 20 hours to deliberate the verdict. Sounds to me like they were very open minded.

I presented a huge piece of evidence in this thread which pointed towards his guilt and you’ve completely ignored it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

BPKS wrote: »
    Very surprised.

Listening to the daily trial updates, I was wondering how the prosecution brought a case at all.

Exactly my response to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Justice

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yer wan seems to have been ridin like a rampant rabbit

And he’d get up on a cracked plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Its important to note that the guards did a shambles of a job in this case, real amateur stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yer wan seems to have been ridin like a rampant rabbit

And he’d get up on a cracked plate

In fairness, Mary Lowry looks a lot like his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Same. Think people need to learn the difference between circumstantial evidence and no evidence.

Sure it looks suspicious,but it could just as easily have been someone else that dumped the body in the tank.

Folk are concerned that a conviction can follow from such weak evidence.

• Advertisement

Wrong. The search took place more than once.

The only one that took place after Bobby Ryan disappeared was a year and a half after

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/human-body-decomposition-search-carried-out-on-a-computer-seized-in-quirke-house-court-told-1.3833977
    Who hadn’t actually died yet.

The other, the one before his son died, also took place two years before Bobby Ryan died. That alone makes the searches meaningless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Scary that you could get a life sentence based on that evidence.

Yeah, all they had on him was the motive and the opportunity...and the actual body of the murder victim hidden in a concealed water tank on his farm that only he and a few others knew about.

When the guy is in the dock at the beginning of the trial the jury do not know if he is guilty or not guilty. Based on the evidence that the prosecution presented there is no way that they now know that he is guilty.

kneemos wrote: »
    Sure it looks suspicious,but it could just as easily have been someone else that dumped the body in the tank.

Then they snuck into his house and looked up how long it takes a body to decompose in water on his laptop.

Then they snuck into his house and looked up how long it takes a body to decompose in water on his laptop.

Are you imagining things?

The searches did not mention water

Are you imagining things?

The searches did not mention water

“Gardaí also found evidence that a home computer had been used to search for the rate of decomposition of human remains in water.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0501/1046814-patrick-quirke-trial/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm not surprised that it went to majority verdict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I used always have great confidence in jurys up until the Belfast trial last year.
    It's was scary to think that some of the one's on Twotter could end up on a jury!

Its important to note that the guards did a shambles of a job in this case, real amateur stuff.

What would you have done differently?
    Gardai arrested the suspect & clearly put enough evidence together for the DPP to decide that suspect should be charged.
    Looks like they did exactly what they are supposed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

bubblypop wrote: »
    Gardai arrested the suspect & clearly put enough evidence together for the DPP to decide that suspect should be charged.

That his body wasn't found sooner was one of the main things I've heard mentioned!

Based on what the media told us, I would have had a hard time finding him guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

What was the judges directive this morning?

Oh, and I was full sure he’d shout from the docks “she was in on it too”

• Advertisement

I do think that an innocent defendant should always take the stand regardless of what their defence team advises them.

Wrong. The search took place more than once.

The only one that took place after Bobby Ryan disappeared was a year and a half after

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/human-body-decomposition-search-carried-out-on-a-computer-seized-in-quirke-house-court-told-1.3833977

The other, the one before his son died, also took place two years before Bobby Ryan died. That alone makes the searches meaningless

Granted I got my dates wrong, but reading that article you linked doesn’t make me any less convinced.

“Gardalso found evidence that a home computer had been used to search for the rate of decomposition of human remains in water.”

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0501/1046814-patrick-quirke-trial/

The link I have already given gives the exact searches that were used and the exact articles that were read, which were not about decomposition in water

And it gives the dates of the second searches - a year and a half after the murder with the first searches at least two years before the murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Unless you were in the courtroom & heard all of the evidence, you can't really comment on whether this verdict is correct.

Media may not have reported everything / may have been instructed not to report everything / put their own spin on things to sell papers

If they spent 20 hours deliberating the jurors have clearly given this sufficient thought & not rushed into a verdict

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

bubblypop wrote: »

From the Gardai evidence in the trial it sounded like the crime scene investigation was like something out of the Naked Gun. Frank Drebbin wouldn't be bloody in it with their carry on.

The State Pathologist didn't even bother his hole going down to it.

Unless you were in the courtroom & heard all of the evidence, you can't really comment on whether this verdict is correct.

Media may not have reported everything / may have been instructed not to report everything / put their own spin on things to sell papers

If they spent 20 hours deliberating the jurors have clearly given this sufficient thought & not rushed into a verdict

You really need to read up on how the media can report court cases if you think this is a possibility.

Granted I got my dates wrong, but reading that article you linked doesn’t make me any less convinced.

Try this one then

Ryan was murdered in 2014

Searches about body decomposition took place before his son died

But his son died in August 2012

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-killed-in-trailer-accident-on-family-dairy-farm-26885315.html

Did he plan pre-August 2012 to murder someone and not get around to it until a couple of years later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

You really need to read up on how the media can report court cases if you think this is a possibility.
    Spin may be the wrong word

More emphasis on certain parts than others is really what I mean

Rest of the point still stands

Try this one then

Ryan was murdered in 2014

Searches about body decomposition took place before his son died

But his son died in August 2012

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-killed-in-trailer-accident-on-family-dairy-farm-26885315.html

Did he plan pre-August 2012 to murder someone and not get around to it until a couple of years later?

Bobby Ryan went missing in 2011...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I didn't seem that way to me. The defence certainly tried to portray that way but I don't think any of their points were of much consequence. My reading of the media reports was that the guards did pretty much what you would expect of them. One might argue that they did exceptionally well, given that the evidence they gathered has secured a murder conviction.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement