Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maydenhayes Mornington

Options
  • 21-11-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

We are looking to buy a new home in a new development Maydenhayes Mornington and looking for some local advise on the area. Any one has any experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I am currently in the process of buying here. I'm from the area so if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nick2020

Hi there,

thank you very much for responding to this thread. I am just wondering if you know more about the neighbourhood, any burglary , future development (like near by shops) etc ? Secondly, I know its heat pump heating and wanted to hear some 1st hand experience from people who are using heat pump and finally about the build quality

Build quality seems decent although I haven't been talking to any of the first occupiers. I know that one purchaser had a minor issue with the main bathroom plumbing after a few months and the builder swiftly rectified the issue free of charge.

To the right hand side as you come into the estate there is a rectangular graveled area, this is apparently going to be a commercial unit but ultimately it won't be the builder who decides what to put in the unit.

Heat pumps are extremely efficient but unfortunately I don't have first hand experience. I did visit the show houses last weekend and even though all doors were open and it was 5 degrees, the houses were baked!

Burglary wise I haven't heard anything but it's not a very densely populated area so I don't see why it would be any worse than other areas.

In terms of future commercial developments, there is a commercial zoned site of approx 30 acres located on the short road between the crossroads in Donacarney and Colpe Cross. I'm not sure what would ever go here retail wise as there is already a Tesco and Dunnes that are both within 3/4 minutes of the estate.

[snipped]

Thanks for the information. Yes, we are looking at Cois na mara and whitefield manor too and has its own Pros and Cons. But as we think more we are inclining towards the Maydenhayes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Suprman

Hi,
    I was also looking at Whitefield and Cois Na Mara but think we have decided on Maydenhayes as well.  Can I ask the reasons you guys went with Maydenhayes?  I think there are pluses with each of them, just wondering what you see as the main pluses for Maydenhayes?  
    The pluses for me were...
    Closer to preferable schools / Closer to Drogheda (live in Grange Rath now) / Like the house layout / Air Pump Heating System is cool.  Kind of Rural surrounding which is good for cycling and all that.  Has a smaller village feel to it.  Think there is good plans for cycle lanes in the area outside of the estate.
    I'd love to hear anyone else thoughts.

• Advertisement

Personally we found Cois Na Mara living areas to be too narrow / compact. Whitefield are great inside, but the estate is already feeling quite dated to us. Overall we just get a better feeling about Maydenhayes, even though Whitefield is closer to Bettystown shops / beach etc in terms of walking distance. It's only two minutes from Southgate which is handy for both access to the Dublin road and Dunnes etc.
    Heatpump is a great addition and it means there's one less bill to manage.
    [snipped] Prices are really competitive too, especially compared to the pre-owned market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Suprman

Similar thinking to us, its good to be a stones throw from Southgate + Dublin access. We are also going for the same 3 bed with the annex, the annex really makes the kitchen area so spacious. I think its def worth it. Hoping to get the attic converted as well, will decide closer to completion on that...funds dependent! When we started looking we were nearly only considering Grange Rath as we have liked it here. But for similar funds + very little in the distance there are so many pluses to getting a new A rated home...lower running costs + shouldnt need to upgrade boiler / heating / windows for a while. I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jbryc04

Hi There

I currently have a holding deposit on a house in Maydenhayes but am wondering does anyone know if the developer is signed up for the help to Buy scheme?

Thanks in Advance

Hey,

I was talking to Anne yesterday (blonde lady from developers family), she said they are signed up however you will need the final price for them ASAP when contracts go out, i.e you would need to decide swiftly if you are getting an annex / attic conversion etc. :)

Thank you for that just had a near heart attack when i saw the news that only 17 developers were approved and they were not named on it. We are still waiting for our contracts to come out from them deposit was put on in December.

• Advertisement

jbryc04 wrote: »
    Thank you for that just had a near heart attack when i saw the news that only 17 developers were approved and they were not named on it. We are still waiting for our contracts to come out from them deposit was put on in December.

Yes there is a delay with developers getting added I believe. [snipped]

What road are you buying on?

Once I get the contract signed I will relax still afraid something will go wrong:( Were down for a 3 bed on the Road up near the entrance to the estate across the road. They state it should be ready on August.

Where abouts are you?

Wouldn't worry about it, very few risks involved with new builds in a development this size!

[snipped]

Just around the corner from us were on the set of the road:)

Do you know if we get any options re colour tiles in bathrooms etc? of if they do deals with regards flooring or appliances?

jbryc04 wrote: »
    Just around the corner from us were on the set of the road:)

Do you know if we get any options re colour tiles in bathrooms etc? of if they do deals with regards flooring or appliances?

I know with the kitchen there is an allowance regarding the choice however to the best of my knowledge this is to be decided after contracts are signed.

Unsure about the tiles but I would assume it's the same! Definitely going to enquire about getting similar flooring to the showhouse, I know the developer will nearly always charge a premium but the amount of hassle it would save!

once the contracts are signed the fun stuff can begin :)

Thank you for your help Best of luck with the house

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dukeofcontent

Hi there. A few words about houses. We moved in May so I may tell You a little bit about houses.

First at all. All of You think heat pump it is cool thing. For Us that`s biggest disappointment of the house. Rather than pump would go for gas heating and solar panels. Bills would be about the same and hassle free. We still got some issue with system and solution for them (technician) is to power off/on computer which only fix result not cause. eg. we just back from 2 weeks holidays and heating was set for 19c just to keep it just right when we come back. When we return computer had some error and friezed and heating was off for nearly 2 weeks. When we return there was about 15c in the house. That is only one of the problems.

If You got some spare cash resign from developers tiling, kitchen and wardrobes. It is far from good quality. Its done quickly without proper attention to details. We ware on budget limits so we had to stay with it but we are not happy at all.

If You house is not build yet/ heating not fitted yet ask builders to do for You underfloor heating on ground floor. Works super efficient with heat pump. That is what I regret so much why I never ask builders. Even with their insulation plus thick underlay still its cold from underneath. Do not listening them, they may tell you ( as they said to one of neighbour) it is not needed because is super insulated. It is not true. You wont regret it.

Before You do some carpets upstairs remove osb boards and do some sound insulation. We ware in rush when we move in and i had no time to do it. If i could turn back time i would do some insulation. Voice go through all walls and You can hear every single word between levels.

pros
    nice looking estate
    close proximity to schools and shops.
    cons
    low quality of windows
    heat pump ( some problems with them and it take some room in your garden)
    furniture and tiling - poor quality

Question for You guys.
    Do You got some layout of the rest of development. Initial plan change since beginning. Which houses are already sold and with are available to book. Do You know is there any plan about Maydenhayes square. Will they do any play area for kids or its going to be just lawn?

If u got any question feel free.

Hi

As far as I am aware Maydenhayes Square is sold out and they are launching new phase starting this weekend. I have not been to show house in weeks so not sure about exact site layout.

I am also considerring to have the same floor as show house, hence i enquired with the builder and they reffered me to Pats carpet in Ratoath who have done the show house. I will shop around for mine closer to the time. I am in a dilemma if I should go with Semi solid as show house of Laminated, any thoughts would be appreciated?

Thanks for your valuable input dukeofcontent, I'll definitely come back with a few questions after I chat with the other half.

Nick2020 I'd personally go for solid or semi solid for durability / quality reasons. Did you decide to go ahead with this development over the other local ones? [snipped]

Thanks for your feedback

Yes we are going ahead with the development. I did speak to one of the resident and they seems to be happy with the overall build quality.
    They had some small issues but builder sorted them straight away. According to them as they are new to this Heat pump technology it was difficult to understand how to regulate it, which is understandable I believe. But I also heard you can get Dimplex to come and explain the workings.

We looked in to other developments like Ashfield in Swords, Churchfield in Clontarf, Knightswood in Drogheda, The Burrows in Bettystown all have Heat pump heating, which is an indication of where the future is heading. I know some of my friend who have went down the self build route have used Heat pump and they are happy with it.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on

• Advertisement

We went along at the weekend again fro another look and to take further notes, to our surprise the starting price is now €255,000!

That's the third price increase since their launch.

Regarding your info above, that's good re the heatpumps and somewhat reassuring. We also had a closer look at the fixtures / fittings kitchen etc and sure enough the quality isn't there when you really examine it, especially with some of the bathroom fixtures and "tiles".

The downstairs flooring of the showhouse seems to be standing the test of time for now, given a thousand people or more have been through the doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wmmn80

Great topic guys and big thanks dukeofcontent that was some really useful info, we are hoping to buy 4 bed in Maydenhayes as well. Same story like with the most ppl here choosing between Whitefield Manor(not much left now in this batch) and Maydenhayes.

Did anybody tried going with the underfloor heating and any idea what would be additional charge to get this one done?
    Providing of course it is not to late to do this in selected unit.

Hi wmmn80

To be honest I didn't ask builder about the under floor heating option, but I believe its worth asking. When is your approximately possession date? Personally I would say ufh is nice to have then must have.

Process just started so it it hard to say, but we where advised that unit should be completed around May/June. Ideally would like to move around that stage, but knowing how things work out I would not put a bet on it.

I was doing some reading about air pumps and they are working very well when combined with ufh , so will defiantly inquire with the builder just afraid that it might bit to late or the cost will go over the budget.

One more question I would have would be around what broadband providers are available in the area and what are the speed they offer?

Thanks,

Hi wmmn80,

Cool... In relation to the broadband connection we need to get Eir to activate the phone line first and then you can either stay with them or move to different provider. As far as I am aware Sky, Digiweb and others are available in the area too

Best of luck

You don't need to get Eir to activate Your line. U may go straight to let say Vodafone and they will do all for U. That is what we got broadband and Tv from VF. Speeds are about 100mbits.
    wmmn80 which houses (road) You intend to move in?

Thanks, dukeofcontent that is good to know, so optic fiber is there. Wonder if 1000Mb one will be available in any time soon, but more than happy with 100Mb as a start :)

We are aiming for one on the Maydanhayse Mews.

You would not feel difference between 100 and 1000. Fibre is only connected to main and from there just ordinary cable so i dont think You would be able to reach always stable 1gbps.
    When did they estimate Mews to be ready to move in ? Do You got maybe current plan with layout of estate how do they plan to build? Last which I got is from June.Did any of You ask builders if they gonna do some playground for kids on Maydenhayes square or they will leave just lawn there ?

You right about the 1000Mb , but if you go future proof and install Cat-6 cabling in equipment you can get up to 10gbps on this. Anyway will check with the builder what would be price difference putting Cat-5e and Cat-6 and then decide is it worth putting newer infrastructure.

As for site plan I have the same old dated one. I think only place to see most up to date is to go to show house and and check it on the board (with the pins).
    From layout changes only difference I noticed was that they changed good few semidetached houses to detached ones.

I was advised that Mews units will be released from May to September.
    I have no info Maydenhayes square.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Hi everybody, I am also buying a house in this development. I have lived in the area for more than 30 years so if any of you have questions about the general area I am happy to answer.

Advertisement