Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Big, big hype about 18 year old Italian Jannick Sinner who just won this ATP NextGen tournament thingy. Has already been given wildcards for Montpellier, Marseille and Rotterdam next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very stoic from Nadal in London

""The physical issue was not an excuse at all," he said. "The only excuse is I was not good enough tonight."

For anyone who's wondering:

Five scenarios that can push Djokovic past Nadal for the year-end No. 1 ranking:

1. Djokovic reaches final with two round-robin wins, and Nadal gets zero round-robin wins.
    2. Djokovic reaches final with three round-robin wins, and Nadal gets a maximum of one round-robin win.
    3. Djokovic wins title with one round-robin win, and Nadal gets a maximum of two round-robin wins.
    4. Djokovic wins title with two round-robin wins, and Nadal doesn’t reach final or Nadal reaches final with only one round-robin win.
    5. Djokovic wins title with three round-robin wins, and Nadal doesn’t reach final or Nadal reaches final with a maximum of two round-robin wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well Nadal has already lost, so Djokovic guaranteed No.1 if he wins every match now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Zverev played pretty damn well to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Wow hell of a match between Them and Djokovic, Thiem managing to hit just enough lines to come out on top. Too much power in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

What a week so far for Thiem, after some disappointing visits here in the past.

Maybe 2020 will be the year he will make a slam breakthrough. He now has a tremendous recent record Vs both Djokovic and Federer, and it was probably fatigue that mainly prevented him giving Nadal a serious rattle in the FO final this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Delighted for Thiem, easily my favourite of the "Next-Gen", although at 26 he is probably in-between generations! Regardless, his game is a joy to watch when in full flow, so much power off both wings, and that one-handed BH is reminiscent of Stan in his prime. Would love to see him win a slam in 2020, the irony being that he probably has a better chance at the AO or USO than at the FO - such is the dominance of Nadal at that and Thiem's general improvement on hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That is some choke from Medvedev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nadal didn't even have to play that well to pull it back. Medvedev very annoying with all those sarcastic thumbs up and applause every time he lost a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow what a total and utter joke this sport has become, Medvedev - another nothing talentless player - that must be the worst choke in the mens game in the last decade.

Nadal to easily win the tournment, and the 4 slams next year - literally 100% guaranteed of winning AO,FO,USO ... 85% Wimbledon...

Joke

Just wait till these 3 retire (~15 years time for Nadal anyway...) No one will watch the sport.

Wow what a total and utter joke this sport has become, Medvedev - another nothing talentless player - that must be the worst choke in the mens game in the last decade.

Nadal to easily win the tournment, and the 4 slams next year - literally 100% guaranteed of winning AO,FO,USO ... 85% Wimbledon...

Joke

Just wait till these 3 retire (~15 years time for Nadal anyway...) No one will watch the sport.
    You obviously don't watch the sport now! Ridiculous post. Medvedev is far from talentless. And you would get huge odds on Nadal winning all four slams next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Two days, two retirements! Dominika Cibulkova yesterday and Tomas Berdych today.

Actually very surprised about Cibulkova. I'll miss her, she was always fun to watch and a permanent banana skin in almost any grand slam draw. In a way it shouldn't be a huge surprise, she is 30 and was never the same after winning Singapore. Hope she has a great retirement.

I'm sad to see Berdych go too. Another one of the many unfortunate enough to be stuck in the strongest ever era of tennis, would definitely have won 2-3 slams in a less strong one. My favourite memory of his will be silencing the ever-classless US Open crowd and dumping Federer out in the 2012 QF's :cool:

Crazy match between Nadal and Medvedev! By any measure, Medvedev should have won that. Nadal was clearly operating sub-par, but the man has a will to win like no other. I'm not quite sure what happened to Medvedev, choking isn't something I would have associated with him previously (especially after the USO Final this year) but he definitely had some kind of meltdown. Still think there are slams in him, and soon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Medvedev is still a young man. He believed he had Nadal beaten and took his foot off the gas. Not so much a choke, more naivety than anything else. He has had a great year but he will want to forget that match in a hurry.

Outstanding from Thiem against Djokovic. He played some great tennis, but they both did to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well Nadal has already lost, so Djokovic guaranteed No.1 if he wins every match now.

Nadal number 1 if he makes final..

Nole/Fed tomorrow...only one to progress..

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    Medvedev is still a young man. He believed he has Nadal beaten and took his foot off the gas. Not so much a choke, more naivety than anything else. He has had a great year but he will want to forget that match in a hurry.

Outstanding from Thiem against Djokovic. He played some great tennis, but they both did to be fair.

Lets see, the last 2 (maybe 3?) WTF have been won by "emerging new talents"
    They then proceeded to do nothing at grand slam level.

This will continue.

None of these lads will ever win slams.

:D Thiem is getting bet by Berretini - the fact that I’ve literally never heard of Berretini until this week and he is in the WTF says it all about the state of tennis

:D Thiem is getting bet by Berretini - the fact that I’ve literally never heard of Berretini until this week and he is in the WTF says it all about the state of tennis
    Thiem already guaranteed top spot so obviously wasn't too bothered about today's match.

No offence, but the fact that you haven't heard of Berretini probably says more about your interest/knowledge of the game than the state of tennis.

And yes, Thiem lost to Berretini but, as another poster alluded to, he had already secured top spot. He obviously treated the match as a tune-up/practice for the bigger event on Saturday. It would have been foolish to go all-out in a dead rubber.

No offence, but the fact that you haven't heard of Berretini probably says more about your interest/knowledge of the game than the state of tennis.

And yes, Thiem lost to Berretini but, as another poster alluded to, he had already secured top spot. He obviously treated the match as a tune-up/practice for the bigger event on Saturday. It would have been foolish to go all-out in a dead rubber.

or more about my fading interest over the years, this time 10/15 years ago there is no way there would be a top 100 (never mind top 8) player I'd never heard off ....

And I play at a decent level, USTA 4.5/5.0 .... but lately I just enjoy playing, my enjoyment of watching has plummeted.
    Even when Nadal f*cks off, these new guys ... boring

• Advertisement

or more about my fading interest over the years, this time 10/15 years ago there is no way there would be a top 100 (never mind top 8) player I'd never heard off ....

And I play at a decent level, USTA 4.5/5.0 .... but lately I just enjoy playing, my enjoyment of watching has plummeted.
    Even when Nadal f*cks off, these new guys ... boring
    Ah fair enough. I can see my interest waning once the Big3 retire, the new kids on the block don't really capture the imagination the way Fedal, in particular, do.

HAving said that about Nadal, I can understand why people love him ... don't think there is many neutrals on him, its either love him or hate him ..

Ah fair enough. I can see my interest waning once the Big3 retire, the new kids on the block don't really capture the imagination the way Fedal, in particular, do.

So true. Not a single name that intrigues. Apart from the big three, who knows anyone else?

Anyone know if tv is showing this Fed match?

walshb wrote: »
    So true. Not a single name that intrigues. Apart from the big three, who knows anyone else?

Anyone know if tv is showing this Fed match?
    Do you have any of the Bein sports channels? If so it's on Bein 9. Amazon Prime have it too but I guess not many people have that.

Pighead wrote: »
    Do you have any of the Bein sports channels? If so it's on Bein 9. Amazon Prime have it too but I guess not many people have that.

Screw that...

I’ll “watch” it on Paddy Power..

Wow. That was a masterclass from Fed. Complete dominance. Will be hard for Novak to turn this around but I know better to write him off completely. Roger playing so aggressively.

Djokovic looking bit out of sorts and Federer looking much better than he has this week, not exactly gripping so far though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nice open tournament

What a performance from Fed, full of agressive first-strike tennis! He was due that win over Djoker, after he snatched that Wimbledon win from Fed earlier this year.

What a performance from Fed, full of agressive first-strike tennis! He was due that win over Djoker, after he snatched that Wimbledon win from Fed earlier this year.

Federer was very good, but Djokovic for whatever reason didn't look overly engaged, totally different attitude to when he played Thiem.

Still a wins a win and I can see Federer beating anyone else in the draw at this stage. His problem, as it has been for the past while, will be trying to put two more high level performances back to back to win the tournament.

• Advertisement

Fed played well. He appeared well up for it. One hopes he keeps that form over the next few days.

If Fed can still beat Djokovic at 38, he ain’t going anywhere any time soon

He’ll probably still be a top 10 player when he turns 40

And he may not be the only one. Nadal, a player with notorious injury problems, is at the top of his own game approaching his mid 30s, guys with stocky builds like Wawrinka can still beat Djokovic in a major well into his 30s also.

Does tennis lend itself more to longevity? Given players don’t have to cover long distances in a single run at any time given the size of the court, the game is so drawn out meaning ample sitting down and recovery time in-game, the non-contact nature of the sport etc. In theory you can breeze through a service game in less than a minute without even a rally taking place, and then have another sit down.

Maybe it isn’t surprising at all that age isn’t the factor it is in a contact sport?

Fair play to Federer, he won't win this tournament but fair play, he won't be retiring anytime soon , and why not when he can compete this well.

I would put Fed and Djokovic in the same basket - one more slam maybe left in them ...

Nadal has minimum 3/4 French opens and 2 of the rest left.

Game over

Fair play to Federer, he won't win this tournament but fair play, he won't be retiring anytime soon , and why not when he can compete this well.

I would put Fed and Djokovic in the same basket - one more slam maybe left in them ...

Nadal has minimum 3/4 French opens and 2 of the rest left.

Game over
    But I thought you said all the new guts coming through are rubbish? Surely if they are so bad either Fed or Djokovic can still win multiple slams over the next couple of years? Fed favourite to win this tournament now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

jr86 wrote: »

And he may not be the only one. Nadal, a player with notorious injury problems, is at the top of his own game approaching his mid 30s, guys with stocky builds like Wawrinka can still beat Djokovic in a major well into his 30s also.

Does tennis lend itself more to longevity? Given players don’t have to cover long distances in a single run at any time given the size of the court, the game is so drawn out meaning ample sitting down and recovery time in-game, the non-contact nature of the sport etc. In theory you can breeze through a service game in less than a minute without even a rally taking place, and then have another sit down.

Maybe it isn’t surprising at all that age isn’t the factor it is in a contact sport?

When you think of federer and then williams on the female side, kim clijsters announcing another comeback, then certainly its hard to deny there isnt more longevity now than before. Greater fitness levels maybe, awareness, medical procedures etc. Probably several factors involved.

On the other hand federer may just be a freak when it comes to his physical soundness or just very lucky. Or even both. Look at murray, nishikori, nadal, del potro, lots of others who have had serious injury problems. The strain on joints seems the main issue - hips, knees, ankles, elbows.

Season management seems key to me. The wta finals last week were basically decided by the players who were still physically standing by the end. Its a long and gruelling season and barty had managed hers very well. I think burn out is as big an issue as injury tbh.

Pighead wrote: »
    But I thought you said all the new guts coming through are rubbish? Surely if they are so bad either Fed or Djokovic can still win multiple slams over the next couple of years? Fed favourite to win this tournament now.

They are, Nadal will clean up here...

You are spot on. Age is important, but not as much in tennis...

Sure, you slow down and aren't as fast to cover distances etc, but it's a real slow slow decline. A man in his early to mid 30s, is still a young and strong man....

Get to 40 and over, and the decline increases....and, of course, injuries happen a lot in the sport; so if you can stay injury free, you can still be very competitive into your 30s and late 30s.

Plenty rests in tennis, and lulls in the action. Cardio fitness is important, but these lads don't need to be like middle distance runners or boxers, or even soccer players...

That's why all this PEDs nonsense talk in tennis baffles me, as if what these lads are doing is beyond belief...It's nowhere near beyond belief..

They are simply young enough men playing tennis day in and day out

The whole "how can so and so play for 5 and 6 hours." Well, for starters, he is not playing for 5 or 6 hours, and not near that time....

Sure, you slow down and aren't as fast to cover distances etc, but it's a real slow slow decline. A man in his early to mid 30s, is still a young and strong man....

Get to 40 and over, and the decline increases....and, of course, injuries happen a lot in the sport; so if you can stay injury free, you can still be very competitive into your 30s and late 30s.

Plenty rests in tennis, and lulls in the action. Cardio fitness is important, but these lads don't need to be like middle distance runners or boxers, or even soccer players...

Absolutely

Even soccer has plenty of contact in it. Physical contact is the toughest part of any sport - being able to take/give a hit, get back up and keep going twice as hard.

While tennis is a different type of fitness - being able to get timing right after hours of play, having to maintain consistency on serve and so on, and constantly needing to get into the right positions - the lack of a physical element definitely lends itself to players playing longer imo

They are, Nadal will clean up here...
    Shockingly your prediction was wrong. Nadal out.

• Advertisement

Great match between Nadal and Tsitsipas earlier. Despite his efforts, we will not be seeing him in the semis.

Zverev beats Medvedev, maybe not a shock considering Medvedev was already out.

Semi-final line up of Zverev vs Dominic Thiem and Tsitsipas vs Federer should be good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 single handed backhanders in the last 4. First time since 1998, apparently. So much for it dying out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That's why all this PEDs nonsense talk in tennis baffles me, as if what these lads are doing is beyond belief...It's nowhere near beyond belief..

They are simply young enough men playing tennis day in and day out

The whole "how can so and so play for 5 and 6 hours." Well, for starters, he is not playing for 5 or 6 hours, and not near that time....

You've obviously never played tennis because what you said there is completely inaccurate from start to finish.

AllForIt wrote: »
    You've obviously never played tennis because what you said there is completely inaccurate from start to finish.

You’ll need to break that down, so. Your one liner won’t cut it..

Point out exactly the inaccuracies of what I have said....

I stand by it all. Nothing at all inaccurate.

Roger’s match is live on BBC 2 at 14:00.

Fed just lost set 1 6-3

• Advertisement

Fed gone.Very flat today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think the dam is about to burst with this new crop of young talented players - if it already hasn't!

We expected it with the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov and Tomic a few years ago, but the other five players here look the business. And not forgetting Shapovalov and a couple of others just outside the top ten who show promise.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I think the dam is about to burst with this new crop of young talented players - if it already hasn't!

We expected it with the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov and Tomic a few years ago, but the other five players here look the business. And not forgetting Shapovalov and a couple of others just outside the top ten who show promise.

2020 has to be the year we get a new slam winner

Djokovic is far more inconsistent these days, I can't see Federer ever winning a non Wimbledon major again and probably never Wimbledon again either, and Nadal seems to always have an injury cloud hanging over him

velo.2010 wrote: »

Aye, I do have a feeling that 2020 will see a new name on a GS trophy.

2020 has to be the year we get a new slam winner

Djokovic is far more inconsistent these days, I can't see Federer ever winning a non Wimbledon major again and probably never Wimbledon again either, and Nadal seems to always have an injury cloud hanging over him

Djokovic will still be dangerous for another few years, but his form has gone up and down the past year. Unreal performances followed by mediocre (by his high standards). Nadal still has the FO if he keeps himself free of injury and you wouldn't bet against him bagging one or two of the others while he is at it. As for Fed, I hope I am wrong, but that championship point at Wimbledon may prove to be the nearest he will get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement