Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark Dublin 2018

Options
  • 07-11-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

<mod edit>
    Run in the Dark Dublin 2018

Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

A run for a good cause but my God don't organise a run that puts the 10k runners into the back of 5k walkers ;( Was going for sub 40min and basically came to a standstill at the Point Depot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Good cause but complete shambles. How can you have 10k runners joining 5k walkers. It was dangerous trying to weave around the 5k runners. I felt sorry for the 5k runners as they had no idea that the 10k was joining them and I saw a few of them nearly floored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, have to agree, from 7km onwards it was a nightmare, trying to avoid lots of slower walkers. To be fair, they probably didn’t like all the runners weaving around them either. So not fair on either type of entrants at all. I was running out of steam a bit anyhow but my time was definitely affected and I was close enough to my target to know I could have got it with a bit more space.

Ah well, it’s a good cause, and an interesting run due to its time and location, but just far too many entrants and they’ve never properly managed the ‘5k and 10k on the same route’ thing in any year I’ve done it. I remember one year either the 5k or 10k marker was a few hundred meters before the finish line!

Probably won’t do it again, it’s just too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

jasonb wrote: »
    Probably won’t do it again, it’s just too busy.

Yes I won't do it again. Very twisty course and the organization is a mess. The start even was chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I actually really loved the course and enjoyed the run overall, but I agree with catching up with the walkers at the 3Arena. It got very messy and it was stop start as well as at other points in the race.
    I will do it again but they’d need to keep the runners and walkers separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Shambles to be honest, I was very glad not to be racing that one, I felt sorry for anyone that was racing but also for the walkers that were getting shoved out of the way from 4 miles on, it wasn't their fault it was organised so badly

I'd organised a group from work to do it but won't be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Did anyone else get an official time that was completely wrong? Mine was about 15mins out for my 5k

Yes I won't do it again. Very twisty course and the organization is a mess. The start even was chaotic.

Yes the start was confusing. We were told to go to zones 4 and 5 but I couldn't see any zone markings. Also only spotted one km marker at 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

The time the texted me was about 3 seconds quicker than my watch, so I’ll take that! &#55357;&#56832;

I did see most of the KM markers, but they were quite small (and small enough font too) so very easy to miss.

I didn’t see any zone markers at all, I just joined near the front as I knew that was my zone. I did that by climbing over the barrier, like lots of other people were doing.

When it comes down to it, I think the biggest issue is numbers. They need to reduce the number of entrants, there are too many, so the start is basically a big mess, and in sections the course is quite tight with a lot of people going through small junctions/corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jasonb wrote: »
    When it comes down to it, I think the biggest issue is numbers. They need to reduce the number of entrants, there are too many, so the start is basically a big mess, and in sections the course is quite tight with a lot of people going through small junctions/corners.

The numbers aren't the issue. The run needs to start about 1km away from the CHQ and head out the same route as last night. And people need to stay on the road and stop cutting onto footpaths and then dash out in front of people who stayed on the road. There is as much an issue with participants being irresponsible too. This happened at the first corner. People starting wide right starting veering right over to squeeze on the left instead of just following the space in front of them. I started right at the front and ran it in 48.30.

By utilising the quays properly they can avoid the mess around the point last night by not having to send the 10k run up and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The numbers aren't the issue. The run needs to start about 1km away from the CHQ and head out the same route as last night. And people need to stay on the road and stop cutting onto footpaths and then dash out in front of people who stayed on the road. There is as much an issue with participants being irresponsible too. This happened at the first corner. People starting wide right starting veering right over to squeeze on the left instead of just following the space in front of them. I started right at the front and ran it in 48.30.

By utilising the quays properly they can avoid the mess around the point last night by not having to send the 10k run up and back.

Its ongoing for the last 5 years and they never bothered to resolve any of the issues. Its all about the money for the charity but nothing for the safety of the runners. Even their responses last year was we are a charity not a race organiser!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah yes, the annual RITD fiasco! But the Trust’s coffers have been filled and all will have been forgotten by next year, most likely. Not an event I’ll ever support.

Did anyone else get an official time that was completely wrong? Mine was about 15mins out for my 5k

The results are now up on Sportsplits and are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is at least 4 years since I last ran this (the year in Trinity was just bad run, it was dangerous). Good to see they take feedback on board and have improved it since..... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

This event along with Grant Thornton 5k run in town simply don't work. They try to cram too many people on tight twisty roads and have to then get roads re-opened asap after.

The concept / idea is fantastic the execution is abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

I was gonna ask if anyone had an entry that they were selling for this year as I kinda wanted to do this run next Wednesday night, something different, and I'm on the waiting list.
    After reading the above about previous years though, Im glad I left it too late to book!
    I can't be dealing with bad organisation when so many people are involved, at night time in a city centre.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    This event along with Grant Thornton 5k run in town simply don't work. They try to cram too many people on tight twisty roads and have to then get roads re-opened asap after.

The concept / idea is fantastic the execution is abysmal.

Grant Thornton is a well run race, same as the docklands 5k.
    Its the runners that are the problem, running in the wrong wave. If you can't run the wave time, then don't go into that wave

Run in the Dark has a bad history over the last few years, ie late starts etc, but over the last 2 years they have gotten it right. The new set up looks good for this year, seperate starts for 10k and 5k. Hopefully it will run smoothly, but it also depends on the runners.

This race is the biggest smash and grab every year... with the money going to "charity"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Grant Thornton is a well run race, same as the docklands 5k.
    Its the runners that are the problem, running in the wrong wave. If you can't run the wave time, then don't go into that wave

Run in the Dark has a bad history over the last few years, ie late starts etc, but over the last 2 years they have gotten it right. The new set up looks good for this year, seperate starts for 10k and 5k. Hopefully it will run smoothly, but it also depends on the runners.

They definitely didn’t get it right last year - a complete shambles. 10k runners joining 5k walkers was a complete joke. I’ve done it twice - I gave them a second chance. They won’t be getting a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 elliot895

If anyone has a spare pack or is not using their own pack PM me as I’d be interested in buying it

• Advertisement

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    They definitely didn’t get it right last year - a complete shambles. 10k runners joining 5k walkers was a complete joke. I’ve done it twice - I gave them a second chance. They won’t be getting a third.

Never did the 10k, so wouldn't of seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

mloc123 wrote: »
    This race is the biggest smash and grab every year... with the money going to "charity"

Why did you put charity in quotes?
    I ask because I've signed up to do the race and keep getting emails from them to set up a fundraising page.

I ask because I've signed up to do the race and keep getting emails from them to set up a fundraising page.

"Please note that the Mark Pollock Trust is established as a discretionary trust and is not a registered charity. Organisations which are established to provide support to a single individual are not eligible for charitable status in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Write to them and ask them to stop contacting you, thats what I had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Did it tonight. 5k started 40 minutes late. No idea why. Standing in the rain and cold wasn't ideal. Ridiculously narrow pinch point at the point as the 10k runners came over the east link.

However the participants also didn't help with walkers going four abreast or people just stopping dead in the middle of the road mid jog. On the other end you had people trying to run through the pinch point and also try sprint finishes at a heavily congested finish line.

Would not do it again. Felt a bit unsafe at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I agree with you 100%
    Will never do run in the dark again (did 2016, 2017 and now this year)

Did the 10k, standing around for 30min waiting - they said it was due to cars blocking the route and Gardai trying to move them. No excuse, especially after putting this event on so many years.

The waves had a big mix of abilities, people walking in wave 1 after around 5km etc. The worst bit was when the 10k joined back into the 5k after east link bridge. Loads of auld ones walking along in 3-4 abreast as mentioned above. yapping away not giving a **** (lol). I even saw women with their full families, legions of kids wandering along with the auld ones in their yellow t shirts and flashing arm bands,

trying to weave through them all was like doing an assault course or something. I actually thought I was on irelands fittest family for a second. very dangerous with all the obstacles along the route etc.

oh and everyone stopped after crossing finish line so it stopped people from crossing, had to basically wait in a queue to cross the finish line ..

not an event for runners I guess, they should change it to a 5k walk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

(no offence to any auld ones reading this btw, it is what it is and I accept that)

Did anyone get a text with their results? Online results seem to be based on gun time not chip time.

The race was a shambles last night. Having to wait so long at the start area in the cold was awful. 5k runners forced to walk at one stage when the 10k was joining back to the route. Really frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 elliot895

Did anyone get a text with their results? Online results seem to be based on gun time not chip time.

That’s really annoying! I can’t see anything on the website detailing the 2019 results, could you share the link?

Advertisement