Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark Dublin 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Did anyone get a text with their results? Online results seem to be based on gun time not chip time.

I don't see the 2019 times, is this the right link?
    https://www.runinthedark.org/results-dublin/

The time on the clock when I finished was a good 3 minutes ahead of my time on Strava so I'm not sure what they did there

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Sportsplits.com

Sportsplits.com

Sorry can't seem to share the link from my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Sadly organisation was poor again. Seemed to be some improvement of the bag drop (although didn’t use it) and start area. Not nearly enough direction to get people into the correct waves though. The delay was shocking. Not a lot they could do about it if it was a Garda decision but it added a lot of frustration. The course was slightly better than last year and the merge into the 5k walkers wasn't quite as bad (although seems to have been worse for anyone doing the 5k). Finish was bedlam, again very little direction, water along one side, random people handing out medals, apparently there was protein bars somewhere, one of our group got a few and I though I'd seen bananas somewhere before hand but couldn't see anything after and didn't bother trying to fight thought the chaos. There was a decent goody bag last year, must have been replaced by the medal this year. There was 35 from our place signed up to run and we won't be doing it again next year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Sorry can't seem to share the link from my phone

Obliged, thanks!

Dublin:
    https://www.sportsplits.com/races/run-the-dark-dublin-2019/

Cork:
    https://www.sportsplits.com/races/run-in-the-dark-cork-2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Did anyone get a text with their results? Online results seem to be based on gun time not chip time.

hey can u send link to results pls? I cant seem to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Starting to enjoy getting fit and participating in some 5k runs over the last few months, so I thought I would give this a go.

The organisation of the event was really disappointing. Standing in the cold and rain for 45 mins before starting, still feeling the cold this morning! Surely they faced issues with traffic etc before and have a plan how to get over this.

Was making good time on my 5k until I got to the point where I was forced to walk due to the merging of the 10k coming across the east link bridge, not the 10k participants fault, the organisers should have known there would be a jam here.

As mentioned by other posters the waves of participants were all off. There were walkers ahead of me, they should be forced to start at the back. Great experience running around town, will have a think about next year, hopefully the complaints are taken on board and they can fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Sadly organisation was poor again. Seemed to be some improvement of the bag drop (although didn’t use it).

cant say I agree as my bag of dry clean clothes were absolutely soaked after. I should have wrapped in plastic bag inside my backpack to be fair but the bag was dry when I handed it into the gazebo but there must have been a river running through the gazebo on the ground as when I went to get changed after they were all soaked. so annoying but again my own fault for expecting the bag drop to be somewhere not exposed to the torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

I entered the 5k race. They didn't send me my tshirt in the post as they were meant to. Bag drop was good. Was at start line at 8pm for a start at 8:15pm. Wet baltic weather. The race was delayed but there was no communication with us on it. Some time after 8:35pm, after plenty of standing in the cold rain with no sign of us starting, I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    This race is the biggest smash and grab every year... with the money going to "charity"

:) came back this morning to read the feedback from this years shambles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

I did this race in 2017. It was the worst organised race I have ever done. Swore I would never do it again. Popping in to read this year's thread and I see nothing has changed, a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

First time I did this one.

Probably the last time too.

Was in with the 5k, had us doing warm ups then left us for about another 20 minutes after to wait in the cold and rain.

Very badly organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Great experience running around town, will have a think about next year, hopefully the complaints are taken on board and they can fix.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but considering these are the exact same issues I experienced last year when I did it, and some of the issues I've seen in previous years too, I doubt they'll change anything. I didn't do it this year becuase of how bad last year was, and judging from the comments here, I'm glad I didn't. It is interesting running in the city at night, but it's not worth all this hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Don't think I've ever heard anyone give this event a good review. Not seeing any here either.
    Why do people keep doing it? It's not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever heard anyone give this event a good review. Not seeing any here either.
    Why do people keep doing it? It's not cheap either.

Many cases, their employer pays for entry I think. Its a pretty corporate event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Did it last night for first time - never again.

Utter shambles of an operation, same problems as mentioned here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

The distance seemed a bit off for the 10k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

Did the Cork one and was a bit of mess. Everyone started at the same time so were tripping over each other for most of the first lap.

But the killer to me, and im not a seasoned runner by any means, was at the finish line there was no water. I was furious. The fools were giving out bottles willy nilly pre race and people were talking a sip and binning he bottles. Daft.

Anyways its done. not sure will I bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

If ye keep paying those chancers will keep ripping you off.
    That bollix seems to think he's the first person to have a disability the way he thinks the world owes him a payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If ye keep paying those chancers will keep ripping you off.
    That bollix seems to think he's the first person to have a disability the way he thinks the world owes him a payday.

Whatever about making your point, think you’re the bollix here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    Whatever about making your point, think you’re the bollix here!!

Worried what you think, I know a shakedown when I see one.
    Too much of this ****e associating fundraising with running events which leads to corners being cut and people only concerned with making a fast buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Worried what you think, I know a shakedown when I see one.
    Too much of this ****e associating fundraising with running events which leads to corners being cut and people only concerned with making a fast buck.

Likewise, there’s no need to call a disabled man a bollix regardless what you think of the race.

The whole thing was a mess from start to finish. They ended up publishing all participants email addresses on the results page at one point today!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

bot43 wrote: »
    Did the Cork one and was a bit of mess. Everyone started at the same time so were tripping over each other for most of the first lap.

But the killer to me, and im not a seasoned runner by any means, was at the finish line there was no water. I was furious. The fools were giving out bottles willy nilly pre race and people were talking a sip and binning he bottles. Daft.

Not sure why you’re ‘not sure’. This one is for the uninitiated and the indiscriminate. There are loads of better races (as is pointed out every year to the disappointed). There are also loads of better ways to donate to medical research, and to causes/initiatives that many associate with this race, but are not necessarily supported by it. Your money goes to the Trust, but hard to know exactly what it’s used for. Happily for the beneficiaries, no one seems to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not sure why you’re ‘not sure’. This one is for the uninitiated and the indiscriminate. There are loads of better races (as is pointed out every year to the disappointed). There are also loads of better ways to donate to medical research, and to causes/initiatives that many associate with this race, but are not necessarily supported by it. Your money goes to the Trust, but hard to know exactly what it’s used for. Happily for the beneficiaries, no one seems to care.

I've done this race in Cork the last 2 years only cos my company twist my arm to do it. I swear each year never again as it not a race for runners.

However, the non-runners from my company who come out of the woodwork love it - think its a great atmosphere, love running around the city centre and see no real issues with the organisation.....I get no complaints from people and I keep my mouth shut on my own grievances so as I don't come accross as a grinch and spoil their Buzz.

If someone wants to run a commercial race to raise money for themselves, then I say fair play - particularly given Mark Pollacks circumstances, benefiting from these events is as good a way as any to make money. The opening is there and its because the likes of Athletics Ireland don't step in enough and compete with these events. There's clearly a market there and its not being exploited enough by the running community. Run in the Dark Cork took in 75,000 euro in entrance fees. Run in the Dark will come back year on year as long as their model works and there is no competition. Athletics ireland need to learn from these and realise that runners want a good course and a well organised event but the masses where the money is want a hook and a catch - a night run, a city centre run, a good atmosphere with DJ's - an experience!! Its why Ironman branded events can charge double or treble the entrance fee and sell out every time. If you tailor your product for the purists you'll have a nice small scale low participation event. If you want to appeal to the masses you need to go all out Trump.

So I don't blame the event organisers, I blame the others who have left that void their to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭opus

bot43 wrote: »

Cork for me as well, I quite enjoyed it as a nice atmosphere & the weather wasn't as bad as I expected. Was a bit miserable waiting to get going mind you.

There was a table full of water then I finished the 10k, picked up a few of those protein bars as well plus yet another uncessary medal.

Largest 10k event in Cork by a good bit I read in the Running in Cork blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

OOnegative wrote: »
    Likewise, there’s no need to call a disabled man a bollix regardless what you think of the race.

Calling him a bollix is a bit much, but I do have some concerns about somebody setting up a 'charity' just to fund their own care. I think also the charity is somewhat misleading, most people believe it is going towards general research.. but from what I have read, this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭bot43

opus wrote: »
    Cork for me as well, I quite enjoyed it as a nice atmosphere & the weather wasn't as bad as I expected. Was a bit miserable waiting to get going mind you.

There was a table full of water then I finished the 10k, picked up a few of those protein bars as well plus yet another uncessary medal.

Largest 10k event in Cork by a good bit I read in the Running in Cork blog.

You were clearly faster than me then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

This was my first "official" run. Really wish I had of come on here before booking it. No need for me to add to the previous posts but I do have a question. Assumedly it needs to get a licence? How on earth did anyone pass that route as suitable for that many people, in the dark? I did the 5k and we were constantly being moved "Don't run on the pavement" "Run on the pavement" etc. Likewise with bicycle lanes. For example the bicycle lane between Matt Talbot bridge and Prince's st was open to cyclists despite being blocked at the Matt Talbot end by the race. Forcing hundreds of runners into a 3m wide, fenced pavement coral at the Point was madness. Only the good naturedness of the participants stopped there being serious injuries and trouble. Surely when allowing large numbers of people, especially so many "beginners"/walkers, onto the streets at night the route should be level and wide and/or clearly marked? Or at the very least spread out the waves so as to leave more space on the route? If it was the first time runing the event I'd understand but it seems that there is similar issues each year? And yet every year it's allowed go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Yep, I nearly lost my nuts to one of those metal pillars on the footpath around the point. F*cking thing appeared out of nowhere! Definitely not safe.

Advertisement