Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2019, 21:54   #1
One More Toy

Would you miss RTÉ?

After watching a Mrs brown's boys from 2012 just on now. Is that the best they can really do for a Saturday night? Now next up is Ray D'Arcy with zero guests of any real fame
Advertisement
21-09-2019, 21:55   #2
Fanny Wank

I would not
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 21:55   #3
Berties_Horse

I haven't missed RTÉ since I stopped watching it.
21-09-2019, 21:56   #4
Your Face

I don't really watch it on television.
I only use the rte player now and that's only for matches.
21-09-2019, 21:57   #5
Silentcorner

RTE's insular version of Ireland is outdated, it's financial model is outdated, the medium (TV) is quickly becoming outdated, it's employees are ridiculously overpaid, I think the writing is on the wall!
Advertisement
21-09-2019, 21:59   #6
One More Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentcorner View Post
RTE's insular version of Ireland is outdated, it's financial model is outdated, the medium (TV) is quickly becoming outdated, it's employees are ridiculously overpaid, I think the writing is on the wall!
I'm glad I don't pay the licence fee. Cut D'Arcy and Joe Duffys wage first
21-09-2019, 21:59   #7
TheValeyard

No miss.
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 22:01   #8
robertpatterson

I would, their sports coverage alone is worth it imo I could do with less joe duffy though
21-09-2019, 22:01   #9
whisky_galore

Still on summer autopilot?

I see very little of interest on any night. Occasionally there's a very good documentary but at stupid o clock at night. Meanwhile repeats (Fr Ted repeated to death) celebrity chefs, celebrity architects and home made imitations of other formats.

Even the weather forecast has that twee "Ah shur the rugby is on, we'll give them the weather for Japan".

Last edited by whisky_galore; 21-09-2019 at 22:04.
Advertisement
21-09-2019, 22:02   #10
beejee

Havent watched television in absolutely ages. Might flick through it now and then out of habit, but rarely leave it on.

All the internet channels are filled with even lower quality crap, with the added bonus of being divided into 500 different subscriptions.

Think im pretty much done with the telly/"internet telly" besides dvds and blurays. Ye can keep it!
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 22:04   #11
Gregor Samsa

If I’m going to sit down in front of the TV, which isn’t often, I pretty much only watch Netflix. The kids exclusively watch Netflix. I don’t think they actually know we have Saorview and a Sky subscription (they I kept meaning to cancel). Haven’t watched broadcast TV in months. I don’t have anything against RTÉ, but I wouldn’t miss the TV channels. I actively despise all radio, so I certainly wouldn’t miss that. I do use the RTE News app, so I’d miss it.
(3) thanks from:
21-09-2019, 22:04   #12
elperello

I would for sure.
No matter what complaints we have about it RTE is the best we have and it needs to be nurtured not constantly denigrated.
Let's look at it in a mature way and see what changes and improvements can be made.
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 22:05   #13
punisher5112

Yes of course I would for there thrilling of the seat type of TV like fairly Sh1ty and phone box where Collin fardel stared and balliskissangle...

Oh glenroe is meant to be making a come back....

Repeats of father Ted.. I actually don't mind this as I'd still watch it but all the other sh1te... Ugh
21-09-2019, 22:07   #14
Ten of Swords

RTE has it's place in Irish history but it's not relevant anymore and hasn't been for many years. It should be cut loose to sink or swim on it's own.
21-09-2019, 22:07   #15
touts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpatterson View Post
I would, their sports coverage alone is worth it imo I could do with less joe duffy though
Sports coverage? They have lost most rights to big events. The only things they have exclusive rights to are League of Ireland and Club GAA mainly because no one else wants them and they are cheap. Everything else is available on other channels.

RTE could be slimmed down to a single channel and the current home grown programmes still wouldn't fill it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion