Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2019, 22:15   #1
Paddy223

Is it Compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide?

I lost a 2nd cousin of mine to suicide two months ago. It was deepening saddening for her family and a very traumatic time. . Her partner and her were split at the time before the death but still remained in the same household although her partner planning on moving out a week later. But listen I am not one to jump to conclusions but the thing that bugged me the most was when her partner rang the emergency services the Gardai never came so I guess Is this normal? Is it not compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide? Also her clothes were placed in a bag with her phone and belongings and these never reappeared again. Gardai didn't take the clothes nor did they examine the scene. Do any of you guys have any knowledge in regards to this and is it strange?
Advertisement
10-05-2019, 22:19   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy223 View Post
I lost a 2nd cousin of mine to suicide two months ago. It was deepening saddening for her family and a very traumatic time. . Her partner and her were split at the time before the death but still remained in the same household although her partner planning on moving out a week later. But listen I am not one to jump to conclusions but the thing that bugged me the most was when her partner rang the emergency services the Gardai never came so I guess Is this normal? Is it not compulsory for Gardai to be present at the scene of a suicide? Also her clothes were placed in a bag with her phone and belongings and these never reappeared again. Gardai didn't take the clothes nor did they examine the scene. Do any of you guys have any knowledge in regards to this and is it strange?
V strange that. My dad died by suicide and guards attended. I thought it was the norm. They would surely have to be content there was no foul play. I believe guards attended the inquest too
10-05-2019, 22:19   #3

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your loss btw
10-05-2019, 22:22   #4
SouthDublin6w
Banned

Quote:
Yes Garda are usually first responders in a suicide. Death in suspicious circumstances till informed otherwise of tragedy.

Sorry for your loss, try not over think it.
11-05-2019, 19:44   #5
Paddy223

Thanks for the kind messages. I just found the whole thing very strange how the Gardai had no input. Would the emergency service responder not notify them?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-05-2019, 19:51   #6
SouthDublin6w
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the kind messages. I just found the whole thing very strange how the Gardai had no input. Would the emergency service responder not notify them?
As soon as a call is made for a first responder and suicide is mentioned police are radioed straight away. If suspected suicide it’s a crime scene until it’s verified no foul play.
11-05-2019, 20:28   #7
Paddy223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDublin6w View Post
As soon as a call is made for a first responder and suicide is mentioned police are radioed straight away. If suspected suicide it’s a crime scene until it’s verified no foul play.
So I guess it's a possibility that the person who rang the emergency services could of said it was a suspected heart attack or otherwise?
11-05-2019, 20:36   #8
SouthDublin6w
Banned

Quote:
So I guess it's a possibility that the person who rang the emergency services could of said it was a suspected heart attack or otherwise?
They could of but the phone call will be read into record In the coroners court.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion