Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-08-2016, 12:17   #46
adrenalee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne7011 View Post
I had a look at the some examples actually. Tricky I'd say. It will really define if you're suitable for the job. One example was about a prisoner not wanting to go into the yard and being unusually quiet that day. So your options were to leave him and tell him you'll be telling the yard warden he wouldn't be out today, or tell a colleague to tell the yard warden and to stay with with the prisoner to talk to him bla bla bla and more options. I would have chose to stay with the prisoner but then that could raise some issues we don't know about yet as we haven't been trained. So it's going to be tricky. I suppose it will show your personality and your suitability for the job. Is there any way of practicing and seeing if our answers are right or wrong? (Without buying that package advertised on careers to help you prepare, have you seen that?)
Do you mind me asking where did you find those example? is it on the link given by PAS?

Thanks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-08-2016, 22:15   #47
Leanne7011

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalee View Post
Do you mind me asking where did you find those example? is it on the link given by PAS?

Thanks
There's a link on the document we were sent yesterday where you can access another website that does practice tests. I think it was on page 4.

There were two examples of the hypothetical situations given on the document though.

Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try post it here
Thanks from:
11-08-2016, 07:25   #48
meath4sam

Hi all been watching this and applied myself. How dangurous is this job? Are officers being abused/attack or is this limited. Does the job mess with your head??
11-08-2016, 09:38   #49
adrenalee

Quote:
Originally Posted by meath4sam View Post
Hi all been watching this and applied myself. How dangurous is this job? Are officers being abused/attack or is this limited. Does the job mess with your head??
All the above you have listed are yes.

You have to take all the above in consideration.
11-08-2016, 09:49   #50
Leanne7011

Quote:
All the above you have listed are yes.

You have to take all the above in consideration.
Are you a prison officer? I just have a few questions if you are
Advertisement
11-08-2016, 09:50   #51
adrenalee

No I am sorry I am not just done my homework on the job but if you have any question pop me in pm.
Thanks from:
11-08-2016, 09:52   #52
Leanne7011

Quote:
No I am sorry I am not just done my homework on the job but if you have any question pop me in pm.
OK thanks! You would have been bombarded with questions if you said yes 😂 I'll pm you
11-08-2016, 11:19   #53
meath4sam

Any prison officers on here that would answer a few questions??
11-08-2016, 14:27   #54
po candidate

I am not an PO but I've applied for this competition!

Some of my Family are officers so I hear alot about the job from them. All of whom have been assaulted at one time or another, mostly minor but some more serious. There is a high probability that you will be assaulted as a Prison Officer. 92 officers were attacked last year according to POA ( Prison Officers Association) There's a excellent chance you will be verbally abused regularly and apparently vexatious complaints by inmates are common place which have a massive impact on an Officer.

Your dealing with People that have no regard for the law, Prison rules or you as an Officer

You'll have no personal protection, no baton, pepper Spray and no protective vest.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-08-2016, 21:37   #55
Leanne7011

I'm talking to a friend who applied for the guards and is at stage 2. But he bought the package to help prepare for the aptitude.. do ye think this is necessary for the PO aptitude? I'm not doing so well in the verbal reasoning sample aptitude that was provided... do anyone have any links to websites that can help prepare for free? I haven't even tried the numerical sample one as I originally thought the verbal one would be my strong point!
12-08-2016, 13:16   #56
farlo365

Judging by a lot of questions and comments made in this thread, a lot of people really have not considered the conditions and vices of the job applied for
Thanks from:
12-08-2016, 18:51   #57
Star hurl

Did anyone try the numerical section on the practise tests ? I have done a few appitudes and seems very tough ?
12-08-2016, 18:58   #58
Leanne7011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star hurl View Post
Did anyone try the numerical section on the practise tests ? I have done a few appitudes and seems very tough ?
Ya I had one look and gave up. The verbal reasoning was tough enough. Or did you find that normal?
12-08-2016, 19:14   #59
Star hurl

Verbal was tough I scored 20 but always do well enough in that area ! But the numerical was nothing like any other public jobs aptitude I have done before but I'm shocking with maths anyway .
Thanks from:
12-08-2016, 21:18   #60
Leanne7011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star hurl View Post
Verbal was tough I scored 20 but always do well enough in that area ! But the numerical was nothing like any other public jobs aptitude I have done before but I'm shocking with maths anyway .
I think I got 12/30 right so about 40 percent but not sure what score that is. (Assuming your 20 doesn't mean percent).. I'm awful at maths, so the verbal turned me off even attempting the numerical one

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion