Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Cross First Aid Courses

Options
  • 05-07-2016 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, has anyone done these classes? I contacted the Red Cross to inquire about it and I am wondering, as it's only a two day course and costs (family first aid) 130 per person, is it an in-depth teaching?

I am very skeptical of things that have courses for only two days I worry that you can't possible learn and retain all you might need to know in two classes. They run them every month, I plan, if i'm going, to go to the one in Henry Street in Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

What are you hoping to get out of it? What is the course title, basic first aid, occupational first aid.

How long were you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

What are you hoping to get out of it? What is the course title, basic first aid, occupational first aid.

How long were you expecting?

I was looking at the practical first aid course. Really I wanted a decent grounded in first aid for myself so in an emergency at least I might have some idea of what to do. Of course it doesn't look bad on a job cv either, I'd imagine :) I'm just wondering is the two day course really worth it for the price, would it give you enough grounding in first aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I'd say that course is fine. Maybe ask what certificate you get upon completion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hi guys, has anyone done these classes? I contacted the Red Cross to inquire about it and I am wondering, as it's only a two day course and costs (family first aid) 130 per person, is it an in-depth teaching?

I am very skeptical of things that have courses for only two days I worry that you can't possible learn and retain all you might need to know in two classes. They run them every month, I plan, if i'm going, to go to the one in Henry Street in Limerick.

Just don't get roped into signing up for any donations, they're shady as ****

The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people. But the actual number of permanent homes the group has built in all of Haiti: six.
    After the earthquake, Red Cross CEO Gail McGovern unveiled ambitious plans to “develop brand-new communities.” None has ever been built.
    http://time.com/3908457/red-cross-six-homes-haiti/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

gctest50 wrote: »

I saw that about the houses in Haiti! I'd forgotten about it though until you posted it :eek: What charity isn't dodgy anymore?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

gctest50 wrote: »

Considering that article relates to the American Red Cross, don't you think that's a massive sweeping statement to implicate the Irish Red Cross like this? They do fantastic work in this country providing relief to local communities e.g. in times of flooding, and there are many volunteers who give up their free time willingly every weekend after a week of work and with no payment, to cover first aid for events. Many of these events could not go ahead if it wasn't for the volunteers being there providing pre-hospital cover to a very high standard.

I feel very sorry for the honest charities out there that people will now start assuming all are like that because of some rogue ones.

Precious Flower, if you want a first aid course for work, then you'd be better off to do an 'Occupational First Aid' course as this is what is required legally for providing first aid in the workplace. If you just want to learn first aid for your own knowledge, then the Red Cross will provide a very good course. You never know, you might even end up joining them.

Advertisement