Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-07-2009, 00:26   #1

The Count of Monte Cristo

Just finished the Count de Monte Cristo, what a book. The way Dumas builds tension at various points in plot is excellently done, and manages to the bring it together well at the end.

Any fans?

Who got the worse deal?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2009, 15:14   #2
dioltas

Read this years ago, I remember loving it! Can't remember the details of it that well though...
28-07-2009, 15:41   #3
Banned

I've always wanted to read this. Several times I've went into a bookshop looking for a cheap version of it but can never find the Wordsworth cheap ass version. My day will come!
28-07-2009, 15:56   #4

You gotta start buying online TedB(undy?)!!!

Ive never read it, its on the shelf though. I heard a rumor that the reason its so long is that Dumas was getting paid by the page so it was financially better for him for it to be longer.
28-07-2009, 16:05   #5
s_carnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedB View Post
I've always wanted to read this. Several times I've went into a bookshop looking for a cheap version of it but can never find the Wordsworth cheap ass version. My day will come!
€4.07 delivered. Ya can't go wrong with that now.

BookDepositoryThe-Count-of-Monte-Cristo
Advertisement
28-07-2009, 16:26   #6
Dades
Would you like to know more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turgon View Post
Ive never read it, its on the shelf though. I heard a rumor that the reason its so long is that Dumas was getting paid by the page so it was financially better for him for it to be longer.
In the same boat!

Have a copy at home I bought last year. Then the sheer size of the bastard thing put me off. Damn you, lack of time!
28-07-2009, 16:29   #7
Vim Fuego

On my shelf as well, I've only heard amazing things! I'll read it soon.
28-07-2009, 18:18   #8

Ah lads, time to get it off the shelf and read it, took a small bit of time to get into it, but pretty soon I was reading 200 pages at a time.
30-07-2009, 11:43   #9
Chumpski

Great novel, very long and the middle section drags a little. Still though the second half is brilliant. Very easy to read.

As for who got the worst deal:
Spoiler: I think Mercedes got it from all sides. First she was manipulated into a marriage by Fernand by conspiring to have Dantes thrown in prison. Then her son is manipulated by Dantes and almost destroyed. Finally, at the end Dantes (as i remember) can't forgive her for giving up on him and goes off with a younger woman.
Advertisement
30-07-2009, 11:46   #10

Great book and well worth a read

The size of it is off putting and it is very disheartening when you have read loads and still not made a dent in it

But it is easy to read and you will fly through it once you get started

The story and the sense of time passed is handled really well, highly recommend it
25-04-2012, 13:22   #11
MagicMarker
Banned

Thread mega-bump!!

Finished this off last night, an incredible book, absolute incredible. I want to watch the movie adaption but I know already that it will pale in comparison.
30-04-2012, 17:24   #12
dr gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
Thread mega-bump!!

Finished this off last night, an incredible book, absolute incredible. I want to watch the movie adaption but I know already that it will pale in comparison.
The issue with the movie version (Pearse and Caviezal version) is not that its bad by comparison, just different. Not a spoiler but just in case...Spoiler: Specifically the film is afraid of maintaining certain aspects of the story with regard to Dantes' ruthlessness in certain scenarios. Other then that I quite liked it. Must watch the original movie.

Really is a fantastic book, and despite its size I never once stopped and sighed at what I had left to go. I can be a slow reader, and certainly some sections are a little slower, but I flew through it.
30-04-2012, 17:26   #13
ntlbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
Thread mega-bump!!

which version of it did you read?
30-04-2012, 17:37   #14
mathepac
Banned

Get your free software Kindle for Mac or PC and download the book for as little as $1.22 Inc VAT from http://<a href="http://www.amazon.co...amazon.com</a> - there are lavishly illustrated versions as well as 1,250+ page annotated versions
30-04-2012, 17:39   #15
tHE vAGGABOND

Would be one of my "desert island" books, I love it - on kindle clearly, as its bloody huge

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion