Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week, I are mostly reading....

Options
1828384858688»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Finished Elegance of the Hedgehog. Outstanding, it really is something special.

On The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Lord of the Flies.

Thought I'd give Ullysses a tackle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paoloiaquinta

"paddy" was good but just re-read "boys in the river" and it was better.

checked out mccluskey's blog too at www.petemccluskey.wordpress.com

am now reading saturday by ian mcewan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rubicon

well worth reading , it's about the fall of the Roman republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Just back from a couple of weeks in the alps ;-)

Read Shantaram and finishing Bram stoker-Dracula(only now, shame on me) as I post, both great.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just finished Revolutionary Road. Really liked it. The characters are pretty awful people but I can still relate to them as I've done or acted like them at some point in my life. The way he writes, has a good insight into the crap that goes on behind suburban doors, despite all appearances.

Now reading Three Girls and their Brother. Can't remember author's name. Seems good so far. Set in the present day in New York, socialite type story. Very easy to read, would be good for anyone who's feeling a bit brain dead & needs something for a long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Currently reading the works of Edgar Allen Poe, but leaving study keeps getting in the way of my reading time....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James.

150 pages into it and really really enjoying it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

"Homicide" by David Simon. It's a fairly large size but brilliant. what makes it better is it's a documentary account. next up i'll be watching the wire

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

just finished reading 'dance in time' by orna ross

the story changes from present day ireland telling the story of a woman on trial for the murder of her father and also goes back to the 1910-1930's telling the story of Yeats/Maud and Iseult Gonne and John MacBride

Well worth reading

Now im reading Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Started it yesterday and i'am off to a good start,read 40 pages last night,and enjoyed every minute of it so far. Have read 3 books by McCammon before and was not dissapointed by any of them.Usher's Passing has got some great reviews online.
    Has anyone else read it?.

banjopaul wrote: »
    Currently reading the works of Edgar Allen Poe, but leaving study keeps getting in the way of my reading time....:(

Might be interesting for you to read Ushers Passing,the first chapter is about a meeting between Edgar Allen Poe and a certain Hudson Usher.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Might be interesting for you to read Ushers Passing,the first chapter is about a meeting between Edgar Allen Poe and a certain Hudson Usher.

Cheers I'll have a look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I'm currently reading:

The Dragon Reborn. Part 3 of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Harrington on Hold 'em : Poker book

Beginners Please : A book about setting up an amateur dramatic society

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Im reading Jane Eyre at the moment and love it.
    It is so clever, and so readable, I dont know why I didnt read it before.
    I have had problems getting through Austen, and thought I would find Bronte difficult but I am really enjoying it. Going to read Wuthering Heights next.:D

by the way I'm new to this forum, so hi to everyone!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi emy,
    I'm currently reading God Knows by Joseph Heller and it's actually quite amusing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

Sega Mega Drive poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Getting into the last quarter of Duma Key by Stephen King, it's brill, best book I've read by him in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

I am currently reading "Preventing the future, why Ireland was poor for so long", by tom garvin. As I suspected Dev and the Catholic church have a great deal to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just started Henry VI part one, as they are three seperate plays I'll be on these for a while before I move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Child 44
    Tom Rob Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

Donnaghm wrote: »
    I am currently reading "Preventing the future, why Ireland was poor for so long", by tom garvin. As I suspected Dev and the Catholic church have a great deal to answer for.

I always said the church economically and socially retarded this country. I might get that book off you some time Duna Boy. Reading it would probably pass me off a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

On Photography by Susan Sontag

Not as dense as I'd feared.

Just started Deep River Rising by Tim Willocks.
    Based on the reviews and his previous book (the Religion) which i really enjoyed,i am really looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Just finished Q&A by Vikas Swarup (I haven't yet seen the film Slumdog so I thought I would read the book first.. )...meh.. it was just alright.. won't be renting the film anytime soon!..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just started 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Havn't posted here in awhile so since last time I have read
    the innocent mage, the awakened mage by karen millen
    angels and demons by dan brown
    the bourne supremecy by robert ludlum
    the prince of blood by raymond e feist
    and currently im reading Twilight, said id give the series ago as I enjoyed the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Seed and the Sower (film that Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence was based on) by Laurens Jan van der Post right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

The book thief by martin zusack,legend, read it. Experience it. Live it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just a heads up to everyone.

this thread is getting a bit too big, so , on Friday I will lock this thread and sticky it so its still searchable and browseable and create a new thread so it can be continued.

my main reason for this is because there has been talk recently of "megathreads" having to be removed as they can cause problems with the DB backend of the boards. I've no idea what constitutes a megathread but I would hate to see this one deleted so it better to keep it as it is now and move to a new one rather than risk losing it completely.

I'll include a redirect to the new thread once this one has been closed.

LoLth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement