Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot receive covid19 illness as no prsi contributions

• 03-04-2020 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have been working in the same job full time since I was 17.. I'm now 22.
    I was told to self isolate by my gp due to the pandemic.

I applied for isolation benifit 3 weeks ago and got a letter yesterday stating I am not eligible as I have never made any prsi contributions

Contacted my employers to find that they have had me on class J since I started and they can't explain why.

They called this morning to say they have fixed my class J to class A going forward but "don't know can they amend the previous year's"

I have been left without money since 16th of march as with my last wage all my direct debits came out leaving me with 20 euros left for the past 3 weeks.

I have never been on social welfare & I always just use taxback.com to check if everything's right and refund me any yearly overcharge so I really don't know how to go forward with this as work genuinly don't seem interested in fixing this for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I don't know how I ended up replying on the "happy polly" account.. I must have 2 accounts somehow?!

EDIT: I'd like to thank everyone on helping me out, you helped more than the social themselves! (I know their overwhelmed)
    I have contacted my intreo centre.
    They have an officer investigating my prsi with my workplace and they are getting a cwo to contact me today to see can they help me out with money until I fix my application.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have been defrauding Revenue. However, note that Revenue can still come after you for your employer's mistake.

Demand that your employer pay you what you would be entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Victor wrote: »
    They have been defrauding Revenue. However, not that Revenue can still come after you for your employer's mistake.
    OP also has some responsibility here. Did they not notice that they haven't paid any PRSI in 5 years?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

What does it say on our payslip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

28064212 wrote: »
    OP also has some responsibility here. Did they not notice that they haven't paid any PRSI in 5 years?

How many 17 year olds check their payslip? Most would presume the employer knows what they’re doing. Easy enough to just carry on from there in the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Happypolly1

28064212 wrote: »

Ive been given a raise and changed my salary amount on multiple occasions the past 5 years, my employer had numerous chances to go through it and check it out.

And I get the exact same amount of money every single week the past couple years due to being on salary so I would only have checked my payslip if my wage wasn't the same and the previous weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

endacl wrote: »
    How many 17 year olds check their payslip?

Damn near 100% I would imagine. Especially for deductions, we all like to grumble over them.

Being 17 doesn't mean your head is that far in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Happypolly1

Telly wrote: »
    What does it say on our payslip?

Well now that I've been through almost every payslip since I started I'm paying everything else except prsi. Yes a stupid turn on my behalf not looking into it better but I have never been out sick that I would ever need my Contributions so I didn't think to specifically check the prsi the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Amber98

ijohhj wrote: »
    Damn near 100% I would imagine. Especially for deductions, we all like to grumble over them.

Being 17 doesn't mean your head is that far in the clouds.

I came here to ask a question, not to be told I had my head in the clouds. I never checked that part of my payslip. I get the exact same amount into my account every week so would only check if I was up or down money

Amber98 wrote: »
    I came here to ask a question, not to be told I had my head in the clouds. I never checked that part of my payslip.

If you're saying I said that about you, maybe give my post another read. Was defending your ability to look at a payslip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can we focus on helping the OP here with meaningful contributions PLEASE!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Can we focus on helping the OP here with meaningful contributions PLEASE!

Thankyou! X

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Unfortunately for your employer, they now need to pay over employee and employer prsi for however long the wrong class was put down. And amend your PRSI record.

Afaik its the PRSI records section they need to contact

PRSI Records
    Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
    McCarter's Road
    Ardaravan
    Buncrana
    Donegal
    Ireland

Tel: (01) 471 5898 (If calling from outside Ireland please call +353 1 471 5898)
    Locall: 1890 690 690 (Note: the rates charged for using 1890 (Lo-call) numbers may vary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This all seems very dodgy on your employers side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Your employer needs to file amended P35s and P35Ls with Revenue up to the end of 2018. They will then need to amend their payroll submissions to Revenue for 2019 under the PMOD system.

This is only way your PRSI record will be updated as Revenue collect PRSI on behalf of DEASP. It's going to take quite a while to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for your employer, they now need to pay over employee and employer prsi for however long the wrong class was put down. And amend your PRSI record.

PRSI Records
    McCarter's Road
    Ardaravan
    Buncrana
    Donegal
    Ireland

Tel: (01) 471 5898 (If calling from outside Ireland please call +353 1 471 5898)
    Locall: 1890 690 690 (Note: the rates charged for using 1890 (Lo-call) numbers may vary)

Correct.

But an employer who was such as as$hole as to do this in the first place probably won't fix it now, no matter what they've said.

OP contact the community welfare officer. There will be something they can do to help if you have no money.

And as soon as you can, find another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

PRSI class J would only be relevant here if the pay was under €38pw or over 66 yrs age.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/97b8c9-prsi-class-j-rates/

Given that the OP is not a pensioner, someone messed up. A payroll package would normally prompt to move to the correct A class unless overridden. There is serious underpayment of employer PRSI and depending on pay levels employee PRSI also. That unfortunately is a matter for another day. Right now the OP needs income.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6aeb9f-list-of-offices-administering-supplementary-welfare-allowance-swa-in-co-cork/

The Community Welfare Officer or local Deasp branch office should be able to help with directions as to where to go. Contact them. If they cannot help themselves they should be able to direct you to the right place.

Separately do as Unicorn55 said regarding the past records but the employer needs to amend the historic record also.

Sorry to hear of your situation and I hope you get the help you need at this difficult time.

Edit sorry the list of CWO was cork but there should be a link for other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I take it the op wasn't under €350 a week wouldn't pay PRSI anyway only USC.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/employer_s_duty_to_pay_social_insurance_prsi.html#l62fd2

Even if the op was under the EE PRSI payment threshold, the ER should have been making payments at the relevant A rate on their salary which would have given entitlement to sickness and unemployment benefits. The employer did not. Hence the op’s problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Stratvs wrote: »
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/employer_s_duty_to_pay_social_insurance_prsi.html#l62fd2

Even if the op was under the EE PRSI payment threshold, the ER should have been making payments at the relevant A rate on their salary which would have given entitlement to sickness and unemployment benefits. The employer did not. Hence the op’s problem.

Yes , contributions still should have been made,but this would not have shown on wage slip, still don't explain class j on slip.

Thankyou! X

You're welcome.

• Advertisement

Yes , contributions still should have been made,but this would not have shown on wage slip, still don't explain class j on slip.

The PRSI class used together with EE and ER amounts paid show on any payslip produced by the payroll software I use.

Unfortunately these codes and amounts may mean little to the employee who assumes their employer is doing things correctly.

At this point the important thing is to get the op help. I hope the previous posts have pointed them in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

The normal social insurance requirements for Illness Benefit will be waived or the means test for Supplementary Welfare Allowance will be removed, if you are medically required to self-isolate or diagnosed with COVID-19.

I thought prsi contributions werent needed for covid illness payment? I got the above from citizens information,did you apply on line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I have been working in the same job full time since I was 17.. I'm now 22.
    I was told to self isolate by my gp due to the pandemic.

I applied for isolation benifit 3 weeks ago and got a letter yesterday stating I am not eligible as I have never made any prsi contributions

Contacted my employers to find that they have had me on class J since I started and they can't explain why.

They called this morning to say they have fixed my class J to class A going forward but "don't know can they amend the previous year's"

I have been left without money since 16th of march as with my last wage all my direct debits came out leaving me with 20 euros left for the past 3 weeks.

I have never been on social welfare & I always just use taxback.com to check if everything's right and refund me any yearly overcharge so I really don't know how to go forward with this as work genuinly don't seem interested in fixing this for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I don't know how I ended up replying on the "happy polly" account.. I must have 2 accounts somehow?!
    There is no such thing as isolation benefit. If you have lost your job as a direct result of the virus you will get the 350 a week payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im not sure what you mean by isolation benefit?

Your not the first person to not check their pay slip and you wont be the last but let this be a lesson. Trust no one to make sure your affairs are in order. Its something you need to get into the habit of doing. Ive always found revenue really helpful.

For now im not sure what you can do? Your employer has left you well and truly goosed. He has put you in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

As mentioned earlier, your employer can contact revenue and/or DEASP and get that amended for the future like optical/dental benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

There is no such thing as isolation benefit. If you have lost your job as a direct result of the virus you will get the 350 a week payment.

It's not called isolation benefit it's called 'enhanced illness benefit' which as far as I know if you have been told by GP to isolate for 2 weeks you get paid 350 euros and if you have been tested positive you receive further payment for another 10 weeks I think and if negative you just get paid for the 2 weeks. I don't know what the situation is at the moment since the criteria for testing has been tightened up on symptoms and testing is taking so long to get results back.

Helgagirl wrote: »
    It's not called isolation benefit it's called 'enhanced illness benefit' which as far as I know if you have been told by GP to isolate for 2 weeks you get paid 350 euros and if you have been tested positive you receive further payment for another 10 weeks I think and if negative you just get paid for the 2 weeks. I don't know what the situation is at the moment since the criteria for testing has been tightened up on symptoms and testing is taking so long to get results back.
    I know 2 engineers living in Sydney earning close to $100K (€55k) who are getting the 350 payment. Basically anybody who wants it gets it. All they have to do is fill out the form. The government dropped the ball on this one.

I know 2 engineers living in Sydney earning close to $100K (€55k) who are getting the 350 payment. Basically anybody who wants it gets it. All they have to do is fill out the form. The government dropped the ball on this one.

Not according to our national newspapers, a lot of people are saying they were rejected even though they were the intended demographic. The people you know don't sound very sound tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

To receive the enhanced illness benefit you have to have a doctor tell you to self isolate and give a medical cert. to cover it. Maybe they got the 350 payment that was intended for people who lost their employment. If what you say is true, these two engineers are milking the system!

• Advertisement

ijohhj wrote: »
    Not according to our national newspapers, a lot of people are saying they were rejected even though they were the intended demographic. The people you know don't sound very sound tbh.
    I don't like them either. They are regulars from the pub I was running. But there are no checks. I lost my job due to the virus. I filled out the form money in my account within a week no questions asked. I could have been some joker from the moon for all anybody knew. And it was reported in the journal website that people in Australia were claiming the payment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't like them either. They are regulars from the pub I was running. But there are no checks. I lost my job due to the virus. I filled out the form money in my account within a week no questions asked. I could have been some joker from the moon for all anybody knew. And it was reported in the journal website that people in Australia were claiming the payment.

Oh yes there are, but it won't be DEASP that anyone fraudulently claiming the payment will have to deal with, it will be Revenue directly.

DEASP are paying the payment no issues right now but there are going to strict penalties imposed on anyone claiming it that isn't entitled to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Amber98 wrote:

OP, don't panic. They announced the measures before getting a chance for the systems to be updated to allow the new payments.

This means that some early applications are being rejected as they dont meet the normal requirements, but a fix is almost completed and they're hoping to start issuing payments next week I believe.

So as long as your doctor certified you and added the correct code to your certification then you should get the payment, but it might be another week before it issues.

Necro wrote: »
    Oh yes there are, but it won't be DEASP that anyone fraudulently claiming the payment will have to deal with, it will be Revenue directly.

DEASP are paying the payment no issues right now but there are going to strict penalties imposed on anyone claiming it that isn't entitled to it.
    And you really think DEASP have any juristiction to track people down in Australia? I'm not being a smartass but their authority doesn't stretch over there. The government got this one wrong all be it with good intentions. OP just fill out the form you'll get the payment.

I'd be shooting off a little email to the revenue if I was you.

Unicorn55 wrote: »

PRSI Records
    McCarter's Road
    Ardaravan
    Buncrana
    Donegal
    Ireland

Thank you so much, I contacted my local welfare and they've contacted an officer to investigate my prsi record and a cwo will be ringing me today to try to help me with my financial issue

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Im not sure what you mean by isolation benefit?

Your not the first person to not check their pay slip and you wont be the last but let this be a lesson. Trust no one to make sure your affairs are in order. Its something you need to get into the habit of doing. Ive always found revenue really helpful.

For now im not sure what you can do? Your employer has left you well and truly goosed. He has put you in this position.

I will definitely be checking everything from now on!
    And by isolation benifit I mean the illness part of the benifit options (I can't remember the exact name) for the covid19.
    it was 350 a week for a max of 2 weeks if you were isolating told by gp and couldnt work due to suspected covid19. I was told to fill form iB1 (normal illness benifit form) and send my sick cert stating self isolation due to the pandemic. That's when I got the letter saying I wasn't entitled to anything over my Contributions issue

I make just over 425 a week after tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Have you asked your employer what he is going to do about it?

I assume he would be willing to give you cash now rather than deal with the Revenue.

Separately, let the Revenue deal with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have you asked your employer what he is going to do about it?

I assume he would be willing to give you cash now rather than deal with the Revenue.

Separately, let the Revenue deal with it too.

PRSI has nothing to do with Revenue

Necro wrote: »
    OP, don't panic. They announced the measures before getting a chance for the systems to be updated to allow the new payments.

This means that some early applications are being rejected as they dont meet the normal requirements, but a fix is almost completed and they're hoping to start issuing payments next week I believe.

So as long as your doctor certified you and added the correct code to your certification then you should get the payment, but it might be another week before it issues.

That actually could be the problem when it comes to me getting payment. I was in the canaries and got the last flight to Dublin out hours before they locked down over their so I would have came back to Ireland very early into the setting up of the pandemic money. I have reapplied so hopefully in the next week or so I will get something

• Advertisement

Would you believe the head of money in my work place came to visit my site yesterday and advised my manager to tell me that "I'm better off saying nothing to revenue and starting fresh with my stamps when they reopen as it will be me that will owe it all back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Revenue are the collection agent for PRSI on behalf of DEASP. Employers pay PRSI to Revenue who pass it to DEASP. Employers self correct errors to do with PAYE, USC and PRSI all the time. PRSI is also collected as part of compliance interventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Hi ,i was under the belief that PRSI didnt apply to covid 19 illness claims,did they change the rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I see a revenue enema coming you're employer's way OP. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would you believe the head of money in my work place came to visit my site yesterday and advised my manager to tell me that "I'm better off saying nothing to revenue and starting fresh with my stamps when they reopen as it will be me that will owe it all back"

Was the money deducted from your pay-packet or did they set the wrong rate on your payslip.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You will owe employee PRSI if you haven't paid. Your employer will owe employer PRSI which is a lot more. They will also be the ones subject to any fines and interest.

Despite owing money to Revenue you should still follow this up. This is important. If you need glasses or very routine dental treatment now it applies. It also matters for your state pension later in life.
    mosii wrote: »
    Hi ,i was under the belief that PRSI didnt apply to covid 19 illness claims,did they change the rules?

I believe it applies to illness benefit but not to job seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OP have I it right.
    Your getting about 420 a week net
    You have never paid prsi?
    You've been working 5 years but were on less money previously?

The "money" fella at work may be right on one front.
    You'll owe any unpaid employee contributions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

OP have I it right.
    Your getting about 420 a week net
    You have never paid prsi?
    You've been working 5 years but were on less money previously?

The "money" fella at work may be right on one front.
    You'll owe any unpaid employee contributions

I think that rule is in place to prevent the complicit employee. Like in a place I worked one of the staff was paid two days on the books and four in cash which meant they claimed social and paid less tax. In their case they would have been complicit and would owe the tax and prsi they were defrauding as well as the dsp.

Can't see Revenue going after him for the missing money once he was getting a payslip with his true and correct hours on it. It's payroll's issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I think that rule is in place to prevent the complicit employee. Like in a place I worked one of the staff was paid two days on the books and four in cash which meant they claimed social and paid less tax. In their case they would have been complicit and would owe the tax and prsi they were defrauding as well as the dsp.

Can't see Revenue going after him for the missing money once he was getting a payslip with his true and correct hours on it. It's payroll's issue.

PRSI isn't by revenue.
    It's highly doubtful that this will be written off.
    In fact the opposite, every penny will be sought.
    If it were revenue they'd allow it be paid over a year.
    Not sure with department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

PRSI isn't by revenue.
    It's highly doubtful that this will be written off.
    In fact the opposite, every penny will be sought.
    If it were revenue they'd allow it be paid over a year.
    Not sure with department

Primary liability here rests with the employer - under the PAYE system they had an obligation to remit the appropriate amounts to Revenue in respect of tax, usc and PRSI (both employer’s & employee’s). They remain liable to Revenue for those amounts. While there is a mechanism for Revenue to seek to collect directly from the individual, in practice they normally deal with an employer when it comes to amounts that the employer ought to have deducted and paid over.

It’s then a matter between the employer and the employee, as regards seeking to recover the amount of the net pay overpaid to the employee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement