Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

whelzer wrote: »
    Said it on last years thread and I'll say it again, the sound from the this area is the best I have ever heard, from anywhere. It was custom built by some famous speaker/sound system dude. My far more impressive than me, muso mates, knew who he was straightaway...I can't recall his name :o.

Agreed. Toby Hatchett is his name.

Has kitted out Hang Dai and The Big Romance in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

hugeglobe wrote: »

Thats him....found this

https://vimeo.com/341319063

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭dav09

hugeglobe wrote: »

Agreed, was an amazing experience and great system, much preferred it to what was there previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joebee

Songhoy Boys missed performance was over visa issue's with some members
    . if your coming all the way from TIMBUKTU , things can be complicated .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well it looks like Glastonbury is on the verge of being cancelled, so I think the same can be said for this, I hope not but it looks like it could happen.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Well it looks like Glastonbury is on the verge of being cancelled, so I think the same can be said for this, I hope not but it looks like it could happen.

If we control this they way we are doing atm and everyone continues to play there part the governments are saying things could be back together again in 8 weeks time. That's how things are looking atm in China and Japan, they reckon the Olympics will still go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

keithkk16 wrote: »
    If we control this they way we are doing atm and everyone continues to play there part the governments are saying things could be back together again in 8 weeks time. That's how things are looking atm in China and Japan, they reckon the Olympics will still go ahead.

You can be as optimistic as you want but all signs are it's being cancelled regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think it'll unfortunately take more than 8 weeks. It might be possible to stage body and soul later on in the summer? Would be much more difficult for an event as big as Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

endainoz wrote: »
    I think it'll unfortunately take more than 8 weeks. It might be possible to stage body and soul later on in the summer? Would be much more difficult for an event as big as Glastonbury.

Vantastival is postponed to September 18 - 20 ... will be bloody freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Just seen that Glastonbury got cancelled. No hope now I'm guessing:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

I don't think we will see any of the summer festivals this year, in their current form :(
    Even if things do improve in the next few weeks, I don't think the authorities would look too kindly at a bunch of us packed into a campsite, or a sweaty arena...

Unless we all camp 2 meters apart from each other or something!

Edit: Since I posted this, B&S have said on their socials that they are preparing for the festival to take place as planned.

RINO87 wrote: »
    I don't think we will see any of the summer festivals this year, in their current form :(
    Even if things do improve in the next few weeks, I don't think the authorities would look too kindly at a bunch of us packed into a campsite, or a sweaty arena...

Unless we all camp 2 meters apart from each other or something!

Edit: Since I posted this, B&S have said on their socials that they are preparing for the festival to take place as planned.

Unfortunately I thought it sounded like they were stalling the inevitable decision. I really hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’s hard to compare with Glastonbury - a much much more crowded festival in a country that has taken too long to react to the situation.

Body and Soul is still 3 months away, so there’s a slim possibility that things in Ireland will have reached a new equilibrium by then and we can handle outdoor events again.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I can't believe this and sunstroke haven't been called off yet, I really don't see them going ahead

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I can't believe this and sunstroke haven't been called off yet, I really don't see them going ahead

Nor It Takes a Village, it seems, and that is due for the start of May

No official call yet, an email was sent to volunteers this morning saying the deadline for deposits has been extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

endainoz wrote: »
    No official call yet, an email was sent to volunteers this morning saying the deadline for deposits has been extended.

they replied to someone on facebook yesterday and said still going as planned for now, I can't imagine them recovering from this if they have to cancel this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hopefully they aren't forced to make a decision soon, if they can wait until the end of April I think they'll have a much better idea of whether its a runner or not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Nor It Takes a Village, it seems, and that is due for the start of May

Got the cancellation email for ITAV this morning. Approximately a month and a half beforehand. I'm not sure B&S will leave it that close, as there is probably a lot more involved in a camping festival*

*Not to presuppose that it is going to cancel, but it does seem likely. Same with Prima too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It must be very tricky for B&S. They're right in the calendar where you might expect restrictions to start to ease. Obviously we won't know that any better closer to the time, but I honestly don't know that there's any rush to cancel it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can't see any large person events going ahead before September.
    If restrictions are lifted it'll be in slow phases with small venues, then mid size like Vicar St or Olympia, then 3Arena.
    Multi-day events being last IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Even if this has significantly died down, there are going to be a lot of health care and emergency workers well in need of time off, having a gathering like this puts external pressures on third parties to provide Medical and Ambulance care, Security and Policing etc.

I can't see any major event happening before the end of the summer, and if it did, I would want there to be a really, really good reason.

There's no good reason for a music festival to go ahead in the current times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Weepsie wrote: »
    Even if this has significantly died down, there are going to be a lot of health care and emergency workers well in need of time off, having a gathering like this puts external pressures on third parties to provide Medical and Ambulance care, Security and Policing etc.

I can't see any major event happening before the end of the summer, and if it did, I would want there to be a really, really good reason.

There's no good reason for a music festival to go ahead in the current times.

Nonsense. According to the scientists advising our government this will most likely have died down by then and third parties can decline to provide the services if they wish. I’ll not have summer written off just yet. It’s too early to be making grand pronouncements like this anyway. By the end of April we’ll have a much better idea of where we stand.

The festival have said they are ploughing ahead and as this currently stand that’s the right course of action imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nonsense. According to the scientists advising our government this will most likely have died down by then and third parties can decline to provide the services if they wish. I’ll not have summer written off just yet. It’s too early to be making grand pronouncements like this anyway. By the end of April we’ll have a much better idea of where we stand.

The festival have said they are ploughing ahead and as this currently stand that’s the right course of action imo.

What a selfish position to take.

The virus itself having peaked, and society being equipped and ready to go back to normality, are two very different things.

As the poster above points out, our front line workers will have been hammered relentlessly from this thing by the time June comes. Asking them to go again for Festival season is beyond crass.

And I say that as someone with tickets to 3 major festivals this summer. All of this stuff will be waiting for us in 2021 and beyond.

Charlie wrote: »
    What a selfish position to take.

The virus itself having peaked, and society being equipped and ready to go back to normality, are two very different things.

As the poster above points out, our front line workers will have been hammered relentlessly from this thing by the time June comes. Asking them to go again for Festival season is beyond crass.

And I say that as someone with tickets to 3 major festivals this summer. All of this stuff will be waiting for us in 2021 and beyond.

It's a bit of a silly argument to be fair. Your not going to have ICU doctors and Nurses recruited specifically for summer festivals. Numbers wise, you'd need a very small amount of medical workers for first aid tents.

Some questions people have may be answered here.:

I love The Irish Music Industry Podcast | Putting your Body and Soul on the Line, let's play it!
    https://www.podbean.com/ea/dir-7i5q3-883be94

Avril Stanley is the guest on the Irish music industry podcast this week. I haven't listened to it yet but it might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Just to give an idea of the phased return to normality we can expect. Austria announced today that they are starting to lift restrictions from next week.
    The Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, has said the country is planning to let smaller shops reopen next week, with the aim of reopening all shops and malls from 1 May.

From then onwards, hotels and restaurants will open step-by-step from mid-May at the earliest, but a decision on that will come in late April. No events will be held until at least late June.

Kurz told a news conference that since Austria had acted earlier than most countries, that gave it the ability to reopen shops sooner as well.

If all goes well, it will reopen non-essential shops of less than 400 square metres and DIY shops on April 14, followed by all shops and malls on May 1, he said.

Meanwhile general lockdown measures will be extended until the end of April, and schools will remain closed until at least mid-May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

IMHO, there is zero chance of B&S happening in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murmer

I would imagine they haven't cancelled as they are figuring out where they stand with insurance and what not. Not a hope in hell any festival will be going ahead this year imho

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Yeah, that's what I'd think too. They're not going to cancel until they're forced to or else they're screwed for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭dav09

I've seen on lots of business threads with similar remarks about insurance but the fact of the matter is if Body & Soul doesn't happen this year it will go bankrupt. Insurance won't want to pay out for business disruption to any companies during this period and will likely do their best to try and ensure companies don't get payouts and will fight clauses, there's lots of articles online about this. It's the same insurance case for businesses ordered to close from the government over the past few weeks, unless B&S has a specific clause in their insurance contract stating this. From the Irish Music Industry Podcast by the way Avril talks, Body & Soul is in the same boat. What I see more likely is Body & Soul being delayed to either mid August or mid September if their creditors give leeway and allow this, which they may. But for now they're seeing how it plays out as no one really knows what the situation will be in 3 months time.

Bankruptcy probably would mean the end of the festival sadly, I can't see many promoters buying the assets for cheap and starting again as they're mostly all in the same boat at the minute, it's not like the 2007/8 financial crash. I really don't want to see this happen and I will be 100% buying tickets closer to the time if it the situation improves, they're an amazing group of people behind this and it's my favorite festival but every business at the moment is struggling and an independent promoter like this probably won't be able to take this hit.

Even if it goes ahead this year, it might not survive if there is public fear, but if things do settle and it's safe I do think people should really support their favorite independent festivals this year as it will likely be a tough year no matter what happens as we'll probably unfortunately lose a few.

Advertisement