Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

JG009 wrote: »
    Reckless in love inside. Absolute gone. Dancewise it was fairly soft I have to say. Good but nothing to write home about.

Place was empty. Good because you had space to walk around in and space and space and more space to camp. I would love to know if they took a massive loss.

ATN absolutely battered it regards dance music.

Yea it was very empty last year. It was short a few thousand people from capacity.

This years lineup is looking soft on dance music too. **** ton of hip hop :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Lineup looks great! Best in years.
    But I’d also like to see some full-fat electronic acts added.

Tourist, Christian Loffler, Maribou State, Bicep, Gidge, Rival Consoles, Max Cooper, Parra for Cuva, Sohn, Forest Swords, Leon Vynehall... any of those would fit in real nice methinks.

Edit: quick scan of RA says they’re all free that weekend too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

llatsni wrote: »

Tourist, Christian Loffler, Maribou State, Bicep, Gidge, Rival Consoles, Max Cooper, Parra for Cuva, Sohn, Forest Swords, Leon Vynehall... any of those would fit in real nice methinks.

I really hope they're holding back on electronic stuff an announcing a collab with AVA or someone similar like ATN do.

Bicep are too big for B&S these days unfortunately, they have sold out shows in Belfast(2 nights) and Dublin(2 nights) close to the summer.
    Max cooper and Leon Vynehall playing AvA festival at the start of June as well.

Reckless in Love stage still has be announced as well in May and it's pretty much all electronic acts so that's still to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Peesh89

I've put Tourist, Gidge and Maribou State on every one of those after festival surveys they email out asking what acts you'd like to see.

It's the first year in 5 years I haven't bought a ticket the second they went on sale but any of those bookings would prob make me buy a ticket.

There's a group of us that go every year but by Sunday afternoon last year we all wanted to go home because we genuinely felt unsafe. Saw too many fights, the fences from us and you were down, so many people robbed around us etc.
    I know some people didn't experience anything like this but just by Sunday the security didn't seem to care at all.
    Would definitely like to know how much smaller they're making it and what glitzier newness they plan on bringing, I'm sad it's not in my calendar (yet.) !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't say I saw a single fight last year or ever felt unsafe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Same - although we were in the campervan site, but with the smaller crowd last year just felt very much safe and friendly. Not saying there weren't individual incidents, but on a whole I'd say that the festival is miles away from ever feeling threatening (bear in mind we were there with a 3 year old and would be extra aware of that kind of stuff)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Didn't feel unsafe last year, but had to watch my change with all the vendors!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Peesh89

That's mad, we may have just been camped in a bad spot but it was really grim at times with people fighting etc witnessed lads trying to open my friends tent and they just loitered around thinking we'd leave. :(
    And post-festival the amount of posts on FB about people being robbed too - there was a car robbed and a camper van had to get their locks changed as someone had stolen the keys.

I'd never felt like that before at any body&soul so hopefully was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I didn't go last year but remembering reading a lot of posts on one of the facebook groups at the time. Body & Soul has always had a problem with people sneaking in on the Sunday, hope the trouble was a once off though as the atmosphere at B&S is definitely it's best quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭endainoz

Applications for volunteers are open today folks. I applied myself, hopefully will be in early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I did too Endainoz, I chose being steward working Tues, Wed and Thurs before festival. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I did too Endainoz, I chose being steward working Tues, Wed and Thurs before festival. :)

I put down general volunteer for Thursday thru to Monday. Putting in preference for earlier shifts, hopefully it'll work, sur you can put in a good word for me BD!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

endainoz wrote: »
    I put down general volunteer for Thursday thru to Monday. Putting in preference for earlier shifts, hopefully it'll work, sur you can put in a good word for me BD!

Bring your mandolin and tin whistle to B&S too, I always bring my bodhran as you never know if there's a session around the corner. ;)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

Was at every b+s up to 2017, but missed the last few, gave ATN a shot instead.

I'm liking how it's shaping up this year, if reckless in love was back in the woods, and they scale it back just a little that would be fantastic!!

I think it really peaked layout and atmosphere wise for me in 2014... It was the sunniest and best atmosphere of any festival I've ever been at, if the changes work towards that again then I'm all for it.... Would love to return and do both this and ATN this year

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

Just after catching up on this thread!

Electronic acts have traditionally been announced after the main announcement, so I'd expect the lineup to bulk up a good bit with those types.

Will be interesting to see where the Reckless in Love ends up this year. If they're paring things back like they said I think the woods would be a lot better for it. Would also like to see someone new being given the Sunday slot. As much as I've enjoyed Mano and Co over the years I think it could do with being shaken up with something new.

For those asking about the Hennessey area - It was by a long shot my favourite area last year. The programming was insanely good (that being said, it was very much down my alley music-wise). Hope to see it doing back this year doing something similar!

After going to both B&S and ATN this year, I'd still say B&S wins as a festival in terms of layout and atmosphere - I will definitely be going this year.

I'd also love to see them bring the mainstage a bit closer to the hill like they had in earlier years to make better use of the natural ampitheatre. There just hasn't been an atmosphere there since they've moved it. I understand it was initially moved for increased capacity reasons, but considering they're scaling back perhaps this is now a possibility.

Onwards to B&S 2020! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

hugeglobe wrote: »

I'd also love to see them bring the mainstage a bit closer to the hill like they had in earlier years to make better use of the natural ampitheatre. There just hasn't been an atmosphere there since they've moved it. I understand it was initially moved for increased capacity reasons, but considering they're scaling back perhaps this is now a possibility.

Onwards to B&S 2020! :)

That stage is a permanent erection (no sniggering down the back) so unless they tear it down n rebuild it it ain't moving.

fillup wrote: »
    That stage is a permanent erection (no sniggering down the back) so unless they tear it down n rebuild it it ain't moving.

I was totally sniggering

ATN got Christian Loffler... and quite a few other nice dance-y acts. Come on B&S don't leave us short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

ATN got Christian Loffler... and quite a few other nice dance-y acts. Come on B&S don't leave us short :D

They really need to beef it up regards techno acts. Place was empty last year and dance was very "soft". Losing out on major crowds and ticket sales not doing so. What is that about?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

JG009 wrote: »
    They really need to beef it up regards techno acts. Place was empty last year and dance was very "soft". Losing out on major crowds and ticket sales not doing so. What is that about?

I get the impression that they are going for a smaller more intimate vibe, perhaps because they expanded too much in recent years and want to bring it back down in size a bit

• Advertisement

They definitely seem to be scaling back, and given how many Irish festivals don't do the necessary and end up crashing, it's probably a wise choice. I'm sure there will be plenty of electronica at the festival, it's never really the kind of thing you announce early on, but it'll be local acts or reasonably priced international acts.

MJohnston wrote: »
    They definitely seem to be scaling back, and given how many Irish festivals don't do the necessary and end up crashing, it's probably a wise choice. I'm sure there will be plenty of electronica at the festival, it's never really the kind of thing you announce early on, but it'll be local acts or reasonably priced international acts.

The more I read about stuff like insurance, waste, electricity costs etc Im amazed that any of these festivals can afford to book any bands. Hopefully B&S pull through, but there is a vicious circle where they reduce the lineup for a smaller crowd but keep the same ticket price and people feel like its bad value, or else they expand and risk losing what made it special

Mano Le Tough is more than likely doing an all dayer on the Sunday with a couple of artists from his label Meave. It happens every year at the Wreckless in love stage. The Homebeat guys still have to announce their lineup too for the Friday night and it's all house & techno. Not sure what's happening on the Saturday night cause it's usually Mother DJs, but someone mentioned on here they are playing in the woods this year.
    Edit:Hennessy are sponsoring again this year so that means more djs too if they do the same Dj stage set up thing as last year.

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Mano Le Tough is more than likely doing an all dayer on the Sunday with a couple of artists from his label Meave.

He’s playing ATN. Do you think he’ll be able to do both?? (Fingers crossed!)

He’s playing ATN. Do you think he’ll be able to do both?? (Fingers crossed!)

Yeah fingers crossed, he usually plays a dj set every Sunday at B&S. He's doing a Live set at ATN

Locals usually end up playing at most of the Irish festivals, certainly there's usually lots of repeats between B&S, ATN, and EP (whether there still will be at EP, who knows). I know Mano is living in Berlin or whatever, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

Hennessy Sound Lounge announced:

WOWEEM BEEM
    EMA
    SALLY CINNAMON
    DANIEL WANG
    SOFTBOY RECORDS
    TIM SWEENEY / BEATS IN SPACE
    SECRETSUNDAZE
    JILL STAXX
    MR. BONGO
    NABIHAH IQBAL
    ALEXANDER NUT
    RAPHAËL TOP-SECRET

SECRETSUNDAZE

O... M... G

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Hennessy Sound Lounge announced:

WOWEEM BEEM
    EMA
    SALLY CINNAMON
    DANIEL WANG
    SOFTBOY RECORDS
    TIM SWEENEY / BEATS IN SPACE
    SECRETSUNDAZE
    JILL STAXX
    MR. BONGO
    NABIHAH IQBAL
    ALEXANDER NUT
    RAPHAËL TOP-SECRET

Said it on last years thread and I'll say it again, the sound from the this area is the best I have ever heard, from anywhere. It was custom built by some famous speaker/sound system dude. My far more impressive than me, muso mates, knew who he was straightaway...I can't recall his name :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That's not bad at all. Love Daniel Wang, probably the most fun DJ I've ever seen. I'd say enough to push me over the line for a ticket!

Advertisement