Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course, an actress who has been cast in one of TV's biggest shows for 6 seasons so far has no clue how to act and just winged it.:rolleyes:

Really wonder what people look at sometimes.

What has the longevity of a show got to do with anything - or how big or otherwise it is: Emilia Clarke's performance within Game of Thrones has tended to be fairly flat & tepid; and while playing a cold, aloof queen is probably not going to tax most peoples abilities, the charisma vacuum that was her Sarah Connor in Terminator Genisys probably confirmed a lot of suspicions that she can't really act that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

pixelburp wrote: »
    What has the longevity of a show got to do with anything - or how big or otherwise it is: Emilia Clarke's performance within Game of Thrones has tended to be fairly flat & tepid; and while playing a cold, aloof queen is probably not going to tax most peoples abilities, the charisma vacuum that was her Sarah Connor in Terminator Genisys probably confirmed a lot of suspicions that she can't really act that well.

I would agree, she is a terrible actress :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course, an actress who has been cast in one of TV's biggest shows for 6 seasons so far has no clue how to act and just winged it.:rolleyes:

Really wonder what people look at sometimes.

Terrible logic - she can act because the show has been successful? Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Your man looks more like a young Jason Bourne , not a young Hans Solo. He's nowhere near good-looking enough to be a young Hans Solo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

david75 wrote: »

Good move but I still think this will be a very weak film, the very concept is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Good move but I still think this will be a very weak film, the very concept is flawed.

What is the concept? No plot details are out so you can't knock it yet. Lawrence Kasdan is on board from the start and apparently it's a great and funny script. My concept of this would be it will be a fun Star Wars adventure that doesn't have to try weave itself into the other movies like Rogue One did. I had a problem with them bringing back a young Han Solo at first but I'm happy with the casting of Alden Ehrenreich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think he means the very concept of a young Han Solo.

Have to agree. The idea send shudders up my spine every time I think of it.

There's only one Han Solo and Ehrenreich isn't it.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think he means the very concept of a young Han Solo.

Have to agree. The idea send shudders up my spine every time I think of it.

There's only one Han Solo and Ehrenreich isn't it.

Exactly! There is so much you can do with Star Wars but a young han solo concept is just stupid and I don't think it will work, think there's a young lando also :rolleyes:

The casting of yer wan from Game of Thrones just reaffirms what a turd I think this will be, I don't know what they were thinking she just cannot act.

As a concept I loved Rogue One and thought that story was a perfect one to weave into the star wars universe.

I've also begun watching Rebels and think it's brilliant, new characters within the star wars universe is what we need.

• Advertisement

Isn't there a young Lando cast for this already? The more I hear about the film, the more I dislike it. Clarke's addition isn't thrilling me either tbh.

It might be good, but I can't say I'll be too surprised if it turns out to be another insipid hollywood averager.

Agreed, there's so much one can do with the Star Wars universe, and a "young" anything just leaves me cold. The thing is, doesn't Solo already have a back story? Wasn't he an Imperial pilot who defected when he saw what the Empire were doing to other races and buddied up with Chewbacca, who he saved from an Imperial labour camp making Chewie carry out a life debt?

Can't see Disney going for that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Isn't there a young Lando cast for this already?

Yeah, Donald Glover. Potentially good casting.

donald-glover.jpg

From the casting I think this is shaping up to be a bit of a different Star Wars film. Glover, Harrison and Clarke all have decent modern pop-culture credentials. A departure from the usual cast of mostly, if not entirely, unknowns.

(not counting the likes of Samuel L. Jackson in the prequels because I'd just rather not be reminded).

I'm predicting something similar in tone to Firefly, or even Guardians of the Galaxy, which makes enough sense considering how much each of those borrowed from the archetype created (largely) by Han Solo in the first place.

They might really **** it up, but if they don't – it could be a lot of fun.

Any indication yet as to how far ahead of A New Hope this is set? Feels like the only reason there wouldn't be an ongoing series of Han Solo adventures is the kinda story deadline imposed by that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I have always held the belief that if a film (a sequel/prequel) has to be self-referential or self-affirming then serious questions should be asked about making said film at all. If Disney/LucasFilm are making a Han Solo movie to explain the character, his background, where he came from, his motivations, then that suggests the original films the character appeared in were inadequate or failed at achieving that task. I don't think any Star Wars fan has issues with the character of Han Solo in episodes IV, V, and VI.

On the other hand, if they just want to dabble in that Star Wars gold dust for a year in between the 'main' movies, then make it completely different. Make it a story that we couldn't have possibly come up with by ourselves (i.e. what 1977-1983 couldn't make us dream up) and don't spend time justifying why or what Han Solo is by foreshadowing what is to come in his own spin-off. It seems to me to be a fine balancing act between pandering to prop-up the existing structure, buying time for the 'real' movie, and tapping into what would be an easy 500 million. There is no bravery to be found in a Han Solo movie and it certainly won't make us look at Han Solo any differently because that bedrock of characterisation was firmly put in place decades ago. All this movie will do is plant a seed of interest in those who do not know who Han Solo is or why he is so important. I guarantee there will be some sort of line of dialogue that will infer Solo's interest in some day having a family, thereby bringing even more impact to Episode VII.

There are great examples of sequels/prequels that work well, but I would use Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to back up my point. Not many people are aware of this, but Temple of Doom is actually a prequel - one of the first, in fact. It is set years before Raiders, but you won't find any references to Raiders in Temple. It doesn't prop-up Indy as a character, it simply takes him to another location and lets the character 'go wild'. Whether the movie is good or not is up for debate, but the fact remains that Temple of Doom isn't self-referential and could stand completely on its own. Much of the criticism of Last Crusade lies with the fact that it struggles to escape from certain tropes and particular idiosyncratic traits, e.g. Indy and snakes, Indy and the Ark, Indy and Nazis, Indy and Salah, Indy and Brody, Indy and guns not working, etc. Personally, Last Crusade is my favourite Indy film as I saw it before Raiders when I was a child, but it is clear to see that the final film relied heavily on what came before it. Unlike Temple which is very different and could easily stand on its own.

I fear Han Solo will be an exercise in balancing nostalgia with attracting the new crowd, re-affirming characterisations that don't need re-affirming, and absolute foreshadowing of what is to come in Episodes 4,5,6,and 7. It will feel cheap, 'safe', and it won't offer us anything substantial that our own imaginations could have provided anyway.

I wish Disney would just greenlight a Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic saga set millenia before Vader and the Emperor with someone off the wall like Del Toro to direct.

He's be the second actor from Cheers to make it into Star Wars.

And the first made it a completely brilliant film. Empire wouldn't be the same without old Cliffy boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

He was the only decent thing in Hail Caesar.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

dresden8 wrote: »
    He was the only decent thing in Hail Caesar.

Agreed. Seen enough of him in that movie to suggest he has it in the locker to play Han Solo.

I'm such a push over. Not interested to sqqqquuuuuuuueeeeeee in one pic
    https://twitter.com/starwars/status/834085576777175040

I think I will just never see these two as Solo or Calrissian.

I still think this film is simply a really, really bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I think I will just never see these two as Solo or Calrissian.

I still think this film is simply a really, really bad idea.

I know what you mean. When this was first mooted I was like...

93c9RrY.gif

But nowwwww.... I'm like...

mzENbqy.gif

• Advertisement

I laughed out loud.

That's exactly me too :)

I know what you mean. When this was first mooted I was like...

93c9RrY.gif

But nowwwww.... I'm like...

mzENbqy.gif

Hmmm... I'm still:

zOWspvR.png

Lorde and miller-great directors with a comedic eye
    Kasdan- the voice of Han Solo in the writing of the OT
    The DP from arrival of who's name I can't remember -tasty

This could well be the game changer for Star Wars. It's certainly gonna be a genre shift. That much they've told us. I'm in. I can't believe I'm saying that. There is only one Han for me. But I'm open to this being awesome.

I never thought it was possible to recast Kirk/Spock/McCoy, but they did so successfully. I'm open to them doing the same for Star Wars and there's the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA that a newly cast Luke/Han/Leia could chart new adventures/spinoffs.

Wedwood wrote: »
    I never thought it was possible to recast Kirk/Spock/McCoy, but they did so successfully. I'm open to them doing the same for Star Wars and there's the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA that a newly cast Luke/Han/Leia could chart new adventures/spinoffs.

There are, literally, millions of Trekkies that would disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ehrenreich, Glover and Waller-Bridge have already all proven themselves some of the finest young comic actors of their generation (the latter two impressive and creative behind the camera to boot, and responsible for some seriously great television). Not the biggest Lord and Miller fan - their films are a slight cut above your usual studio fodder - but if the stars align and the tone is right I'd be cautiously optimistic this could be a pretty good time. If that cast is allowed to their thing, a good chunk of the heavy lifting will already have been done.

Frankly, if it's going to be a comedy, I'm even more out.

There are, literally, millions of Trekkies that would disagree.

Those lads did a great job. Hardcore fans hard wired into their fandom have a problem? Shock horror.

Quinto and pine were better in those roles than shatner and ok maybe not nimoy but you get the gist

Frankly, if it's going to be a comedy, I'm even more out.

It's going to be funnier than a regular Star Wars film. Not a comedy though. But it won't well... what do you want it to be?

I'm not sure and I'm excited for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

At least give it till we start getting some footage before making decsions have reservations but i think we have to give it time.

• Advertisement

I can understand people's trepidation on doing a young Han Solo film. I had the same feeling initially in case they botched casting and crew but now I just think people are sounding like curmudgeons. Harrison is, and always will be Han Solo, but I'm very much looking forward to this.

Those lads did a great job. Hardcore fans hard wired into their fandom have a problem? Shock horror.

I would disagree and I hasten to add I am no Trekkie fan boy in any shape or form.

The modern Star Trek films have rightly been mocked as "generic space action movie" from the Trek fan base. They are largely insipid, empty, riffs on what had come before. They may be flashy and nice looking, but they're stupid ('Into Darkness' especially) and in a lot of ways shite all over what made Star Trek the great experience it was.

Too often, these Abrams led reboots (including 'The Force Awakens') simply rely on "I know what that is!!!" to justify their existence and their riffing on franchises that they're using, but they lose what made the franchises great in the first place. They're copies and like all copies they pale in comparison to the original.
    Quinto and pine were better in those roles than shatner and ok maybe not nimoy but you get the gist

Ah here...if there was ONE thing that made the original crew great, it was the fantastic and realistic chemistry that existed between Kirk, Spock and McCoy and no copycats are going to compete with that.

Pine, Quinto, etc are simply doing IMPRESSIONS of something that was already achieved long before they even considered acting as a career. Pine and Quinto may be better actors than Shatner and Nimoy, but they are still just copying something that was well established before they were even born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Is there any word on how long before ANH this is set? Ehrenreich doesn't look that much younger than Ford did. I expected a "Young" Han film to be set when he was late teens early twenties, like around Luke's age in ANH, but Ehrenreich is in his late 20s and looks it. I was hoping to see him in the Imperial Naval Academy and that.

Is there any word on how long before ANH this is set? Ehrenreich doesn't look that much younger than Ford did. I expected a "Young" Han film to be set when he was late teens early twenties, like around Luke's age in ANH, but Ehrenreich is in his late 20s and looks it. I was hoping to see him in the Imperial Naval Academy and that.

I don't know if that bit of Solo's backstory is going to be retained by Disney. AFAIR, he was an Imperial pilot who abandoned his career in the Empire after seeing what they were doing to the Wookies on Kashyyyk and went into a life of crime with his new found partner Chewbacca, who honoured a "Life Debt" to Solo, after he rescued him from the Imperials.

There's a great film right there.

But, something tells me this film is going to be an mickey mouse buddy comedy that will have nothing to do with that.

Ford was 35 when he first appeared as Han Solo. Ehrenreich is 27, so, he's nearly 10 years younger. He could pass for an early 20' guy. Whether he can pass for Han Solo, very much remains to be seen, but I don't have much hope TBH, despite the fact that Disney pretty much aced 'Rogue One' - surprisingly so, too.

I wouldn't be writing off out of hand. You can do that with something like fate of the furious. You know what it is. You know it's gonna be awful. We don't really know what this will be. Cautious optimism.

Ehrenreich is 27, Ford was 33/34 when they made Star Wars. They'll no doubt be leaving room to make a few Han Solo films.

Is it just me or do Disney seem a bit indecisive with their planning of movies?

They did The Force Awakens, which IMO was ok, not brilliant. They followed it with Rogue One which I loved, but as we know is set just prior to ANH. Now a Han Solo movie set presumably several years before ANH while at the same time filming the sequel to Force Awakens. They are jumping all over the timeline.

I wouldn't be writing off out of hand. You can do that with something like fate of the furious. You know what it is. You know it's gonna be awful. We don't really know what this will be. Cautious optimism.

There are indicators though David, that allow people to make informed preconceptions and they aren't always a bad thing. Also, knowledge of who's involved helps form a picture in a person's mind of what this possibly might be like and why it could be bad.

1. It isn't Ford. A BIG draw for anything Solo as he IS Han Solo.

2. It isn't Williams. Williams IS Lando and even though I always thought the Lando love was a load of old pony - he's a bit part at best - Billy Dee still brought a lot of his own personality to the role.

3. It's Ehrenreich, who I've seen in one film, like most people. He doesn't strike me as a person who could impersonate Ford, so his Solo is automatically going to be different and therefore a big dent in the film. Han Solo lite. There is ALWAYS a very jarring effect when a different actor is cast to do a popular role.

4. It's Glover, who I know nothing about. He was utterly forgettable in 'The Marian', the only film I've seen him in. So, he's an unknown quantity. But, again, he's going to have to be impersonating Billy Dee Williams. If he doesn't, the he's simply a different character with the same name.

5. It's a COMPLETELY unnecessary addition to the series and one that is solely relying on the Solo name to generate support. I tend to not like that kind of angle in any film. One could say that 'Rogue One' was unnecessary too, and yes, it was, but that film turned out to be pretty much the best Star Wars film since 1983. 'Han Solo' might be good too, but at the moment, my impressions are that it won't.

6. The directors involved. Sorry, but I have no interest here and it suggests that Disney are looking for a light hearted, light headed, simple minded, buddy film that's using the popularity of something from the past to garner interest, like '21 Jump Street'. I'll be blunt - fcuk that.

So far, there's been nothing to suggest to me that I should be getting the bunting out for 'Han Solo' and a lot to give me pause for thought. I could, of course, be signing a different tune in a year's time. But, for the moment, the song is 'There May be Trouble Ahead'.

Is it just me or do Disney seem a bit indecisive with their planning of movies?

They did The Force Awakens, which IMO was ok, not brilliant. They followed it with Rogue One which I loved, but as we know is set just prior to ANH. Now a Han Solo movie set presumably several years before ANH while at the same time filming the sequel to Force Awakens. They are jumping all over the timeline.

It's the Marvel approach. Timelines mean nothing. Endless reboots. No canon. No history.

Everything feels so "factory" about it.

Part of me thinks it Disney's way of retconning the Star Wars universe with their own series of prequels and edging out the disastrous Lucas' ones, until people sort of "forget" them or replace them in their own head canon. Which, in fairness, is easily (and IMHO necessarily) done.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why wouldn't a film about Han solo be light hearted?

Why does it have to be?

Sure, he can be sarcastic etc and the chemistry between him and Chewbacca is entertaining - however, if it's present here, it'll be largely unearned, assuming that the film is going to cover their meeting.

But, if we're going down the '21 Jump Street' route, I'll end up not giving a **** what happens to him in the film, cos the characters won't, as is the usual problem with light hearted films.

In the end, I suppose I'm just sick of that approach. The frivolity of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' was enough to make me not care that it was over. It ended up just being some meh ride, that I couldn't have cared less about when the credits rolled.

When a Star Wars film ends I want to feel that I've experienced something other than a simple passing of two hours where I didn't really give a damn what happened or where the story went. I've had that so far with all of them, except the prequels.

Wow.
    There's nothing but canon. Loads of it. And there definitely is a plan. Episode 8 is all but finished and is being scored and edited right now. It's finished. Production on Han has just begun. Comical to suggest Disney are being scatter brained and don't know what they're doing :)

Tony you sound really jaded If I may say. It's not high minded art. It's Star Wars. Fast paced action adventure with loveable characters on the surface is all it has to be. And a whole word of back story and canon if you want to dive in. I'll agree with you if this turns out to be awful?
    I was hard on rogue one is it wasn't 'my kind of Star wars' but I can't deny it was a really great movie that looked gorgeous and added to the story. If it failed it was in the lie that it was a standalone when clearly you needed to at least now a little about Star Wars for it to work. It'll be the same here.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with this being a buddy cop action / western kinda flick. Han Solo is a wise ass. His background is smuggling and shady underworld. Star Wars would die if these films just were stuck in one genre doing one thing like all the comic book movies seem to do. They're trying to branch out. Give em a chance to see if they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

The most difficult part of creating the spin-off stories for SW, IMO, is the emotion attached to it, which stems directly from the original trilogy. The writers, directors, actors have the tricky task of satisfying people's needs for nostalgia, whilst offering a new enjoyable experience.

It's a difficult balance to cater to everyone's tastes. Too much of one, and the movie becomes a rehash or trip down memory lane. Too much of the other, and it'd be regarded as "not being a Star Wars movie."

By the sounds of it, some people are expecting Bladerunner 2 in disguise. We'll, most likely, get the buddy-angle of Han and Chewy, plenty of sarcastic one-liners, as well as the story of how the Falcon was acquired from Lando. Alongside fun action pieces, like the Kessel Run. And, being honest, I'd be happy enough with that from a Han Solo movie.

Exactly. If they even use any historical references like the kessel run they're gonna get fire from certain angles. If the entire film is about that and it might yet be, that'd make a lot of people happy but a lot of people won't even see it.
    You can't please any of the people any of the time when it comes to Star Wars. And I say that as a huge fan who gives it **** if it doesn't satisfy my 'version' of what I think Star Wars is. We're a tough crowd.

Wow.
    There's nothing but canon. Loads of it. And there definitely is a plan. Episode 8 is all but finished and is being scored and edited right now. It's finished. Production on Han has just begun. Comical to suggest Disney are being scatter brained and don't know what they're doing :)

That's not what I said.

My point is that there's no timeline structure. It's flip flopping all over the place. The very fact that we're getting a Han Solo film when Ford is too old to play the character in a story that takes place before he even stepped into the shoes of Solo just smacks of not of flip flop. It just shouldn't be done, especially when there are millions of Star Wars stories to be told.

In any case, I think Disney want to get rid of the trilogy concept of Star Wars and just focus on their own "stories" and thus allow them all the one shot pictures til we're all blue in the face, sick of Star Wars or we're dead.

Also, on canon...my point is is that it's meaningless if it's not going to be adhered to. Disney jettisoning 30+ years of canon shows that they just want their own playground. This has a good effect to in that it got rid of the 90% of canon bullshit that stank up Star Wars for years. But it also means the nothing really means anything either. I've never liked this king of comic book approach where the entire past of a character or series can be just destroyed in a Year Zero and we all start again. That's just bollocks. Why should anyone care about any stories if they can all be eliminated? Marvel and DC are more guilty than Disney, let me be clear on that. But it's also clear that Disney are going for a Marvel Cinematic Universe approach to their Star Wars IP as well and I don't really want to see Star Wars go down that route. They've handled it ok so far, with one alright film and one great one. But this Han Solo film and the much mooted Boba Fett one just sends shivers up my spine.
    Tony you sound really jaded If I may say. It's not high minded art. It's Star Wars. Fast paced action adventure with loveable characters on the surface is all it has to be. And a whole word of back story and canon if you want to dive in. I'll agree with you if this turns out to be awful?
    I was hard on rogue one is it wasn't 'my kind of Star wars' but I can't deny it was a really great movie that looked gorgeous and added to the story. If it failed it was in the lie that it was a standalone when clearly you needed to at least now a little about Star Wars for it to work. It'll be the same here.

I am jaded. I've been around since the beginning and I've been burnt as well as elated. I know what Star Wars is and what it can be. I also know the depths it can sink to. I also know that most modern cinema is entirely meh and the Marvel approach is insipid, souless and tasteless. I don't want to see Star Wars go that way.

Also, there's a lot more to the original films than just "Fast paced action adventure with loveable characters" and Star Wars doesn't just have to be that. There's plenty of drama and weight going on if one wants to go beneath the mere surface. That's what made the original films so compelling and what makes them so today.

Agree with 'Rogue One' in that it was never really a standalone in the truest sense. Especially when it leads directly into the 1977 film. I think the "standalone" thing was to indicate that Disney wasn't making another trilogy of films, but it was just bad marketing IMO. However, this is wholly indicative of the scattershot approach that denartha was talking about. Loads of people thought that 'Rogue One' was a continuation of 'The Force Awakens' or thought that it was going to be Bothans stealing plans for Death Star II. It looks to people who aren't clued in that Disney are just making any old thing at any old point, regardless of the story the told before. This kind of "what's going on" is going to raise its head when you have sequels, prequels and episode X.5 or whatever.
    There's nothing whatsoever wrong with this being a buddy cop action / western kinda flick. Han Solo is a wise ass. His background is sighing and shady underworld. Star Wars would die if these films just were stuck in one genre doing one thing like all the comic book movies seem to do. They're trying to branch out. Give em a chance to see if they can do it.

Yes, Solo is a sarky character and part of a great on screen duo. But, if the film is merely a series of comic one liners and frivolous set pieces, people aren't going to care. In the original trilogy, Solo was a dangerous and dodgy individual. Cynical, lawless and murderous, but happened to get involved in a good deed, through no fault of his own and ended up with a redemption of sorts*. In 'The Empire Strikes Back' he arguably has one of the most dramatic scenes in the entire series. His story has weight. There's a drama to his arc.

That to me is Star Wars.

If this thing is going where I think it's going, there'll be no umph to anything that happens. It'll be wisecracks gallore, the characters won't care what happens to them and subsequently, neither will I.

*Which makes his return to smuggling in 'The Force Awakens' seem even more stupid and makes Abrams decision to return him to that occupation suspicious. It's like hey, this is what Han Solo was in the original film right!!!

• Advertisement

If they even use any historical references like the kessel run they're gonna get fire from certain angles.

Well, then maybe they shouldn't. Kathleen Kennedy said that "Lucasfilm doesn’t want to get into the habit of answering questions better left untouched" (which I take as a side swipe against Lucas' worst decisions in the prequel trilogy - Bob Fett/C3PO et al) That's a good approach, as far as I'm concerned. Ignoring that was one of the reasons why the prequels were crap and why they ruined the franchise for a decade. We don't need a Han Solo film and at this moment on time, I feel that it's a very, very bad idea, even though it's probably destined to make stupid money. But Star Wars is a licence to anyway.
    You can't please any of the people any of the time when it comes to Star Wars. And I say that as a huge fan who gives it **** if it doesn't satisfy my 'version' of what I think Star Wars is. We're a tough crowd.

This is true, but I think Star Wars fans are as equally easy on their love as they are critical. Look at the defence the prequels get when they are objectively terrible. But also, when something irks a Star Wars fan, the wrath can be terrible. :pac:

The first line spoken in TFA is 'this will begin to make things right', a subltle but direct message from the studio to the fans in response to fans concerns regarding Disney taking the helm. So far they've lived up to that promise, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt for the Han Solo movie.

I can't believe Disney would go to so much trouble to get Star Wars back on track to then just throw it all away with an ill-conceived Han Solo origin movie. Rather, if this movie works, it throws open the possibility of also recasting Luke and Leia etc for new movies set over the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA. You could have Thrawn trilogy movies etc.

The first line spoken in TFA is 'this will begin to make things right', a subltle but direct message from the studio to the fans in response to fans concerns regarding Disney taking the helm. So far they've lived up to that promise, so they deserve the benefit of the doubt for the Han Solo movie.

I can't believe Disney would go to so much trouble to get Star Wars back on track to then just throw it all away with an ill-conceived Han Solo origin movie. Rather, if this movie works, it throws open the possibility of also recasting Luke and Leia etc for new movies set over the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA. You could have Thrawn trilogy movies etc.

A distinct possibility but the overwhelming vibe throughout Star Wars fandom is we want to get away from that prequel / OT time period. So going back to young luke/Leia etc would be a huge risk for them. To their credit they do take the temperature and really listen to what's being said.

Ugh....*shudder*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It has woody harrelson in it. Thats enough for me. Love the woody

• Advertisement
Advertisement