Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artemis Fowl

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Read the first 3/4 books as a kid, and this sound so wrong. Artemis was a driving force in those books, but here he's lost much of his agency and none of his original motivations. He was an childrens anti hero, but this is magic spy kids.

people mentioning a lot of other adaptions in this thread but this looks worse.

He should be stealing, kidnappings, and permanently cripples a fairy swat team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Seven years in production hell.

Coming to Disney + next month

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/artemis-fowl-coming-straight-to-disney/

Will most likely be US only initially (which will mean it’s available from the usual places four hours later).

You’d imagine they’d be sensible & give it a worldwide release swing as it’s digital only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Disney more or less admits the film is a "dead duck" and have no faith in it being a success as it plans to release it straight to streaming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that's hardly a stirring endorsement. I suppose given everything at the moment they could have at least claimed it was totally going to get a cinematic release lol :)

Was originally supposed to release May 29th in cinemas.

Trailers looked decent.

They could have saved it to Xmas, but they’ve probably hot other stuff they can hold off and are sacrificing it to streaming to build subscribers.

There WILL be people who’ll fork over €70 for the additional content which will be a win for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has anyone had a stranger career trajectory than Kenneth Branagh? From director of Shakespeare adaptations to director of b-tier Disney blockbusters. I mean if he’s happy doing it more power to him, and he always mixed up his acting roles between thespian fare and blockbuster roles. But always am a little surprised to see his name on this film or Cinderella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember he directed Thor as well.
    Speaking of strange choices for Disney directors, Tim Burton stands out.

As for this film, I've never read the books but hear they're good. Will probably check out the film at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

June 12th Disney+

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting a bit of a thumping from critics, might hint as to why Disney were happy from this to be relegated to Disney+ Apparently Josh Gads Irish accent is ripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Watched it, nothing special. It opened the Disney book of Irish twee and went to town on it in the first 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pixelburp wrote: »
    Getting a bit of a thumping from critics, might hint as to why Disney were happy from this to be relegated to Disney+ Apparently Josh Gads Irish accent is ripe.

Watched it with my daughter yesterday and it is tripe. The plot was pretty incomprehensible and Artemis Fowl Snr and Jnr both seemed to be in a fight for most wooden performance (the kid was seriously one of the worst child actors I've seen in recent years, I'm guessing he got the part because he is a descendant of GB Shaw).

Josh Gad doesn't really do an Irish accent though, just a gruff version of his own voice. Dame Judi Dench has the terrible Irish accent ("top o' the mornin' " and all).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Terrible movie without an original idea.

Despite being just over an hour and a half long, it still managed to feel padded.

The lead is an annoying little know-it-all prick. Dame Judy decided to do a growly Falls Road accent for no apparent reason. Every mythical character has been robbed from another franchise. The plot McGuffin is beyond ridiculous.

Usual Disney ****e of
    killing a character for the emotional punch only to resurrect them a couple of minutes later.
    Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Abomination! Foul!

I only watched this out of morbid curiosity. It was much worse than I expected.

I hope we can someday read the full story of what went on behind the scenes with this film as something clearly went badly wrong.

Ah, Colin Farrell... His name is basically a guarantee that any "Hollywood" movie he is in will be a piece of crap. It's unreal the way he can pick out the flops.

"But he got a ball of money for two days work!"

Okay, but his career has been very underwhelming. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Watched about 30 mins only the youngest was vaguely enjoying it. The others wanted to turn it off.

I always thought the books were like a child mission Impossible with Santa elves kind mashup.

This jumps all over the place and is a bit all over the place. Just poor writing, or there were too many cooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The lead is an annoying little know-it-all prick.
    He's more or less like that in the books as well

Every mythical character has been robbed from another franchise.
    Again, all from the books, although why they had Mulch as a
    giant dwarf
    puzzles me. As well as having Root be female instead of male.

Usual Disney ****e of
    killing a character for the emotional punch only to resurrect them a couple of minutes later.
    Butler also dies in the books, just in a different way, and is brought back a while later by Holly.
    I actually hoped it'd have the Troll v Butler bit from the first book, that was much better than what we actually got.

Not a great film, really. Percy Jackson levels of bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

facehugger99 & tazzimus please use spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Abomination! Foul!

I only watched this out of morbid curiosity. It was much worse than I expected.

I hope we can someday read the full story of what went on behind the scenes with this film as something clearly went badly wrong.

Ah, Colin Farrell... His name is basically a guarantee that any "Hollywood" movie he is in will be a piece of crap. It's unreal the way he can pick out the flops.

"But he got a ball of money for two days work!"

Okay, but his career has been very underwhelming. IMO.
    Totally agree he picks some utter rubbish but his films outside of the Hollywood system can brilliant, in Bruge, the lobster, surprised to see he is in the new Batman film!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

gmisk wrote: »
    Totally agree he picks some utter rubbish but his films outside of the Hollywood system can brilliant, in Bruge, the lobster, surprised to see he is in the new Batman film!

Doesnt look good for the new batman movie so :pac:

Gonna go totally against the grain here. Watched it tonight with a teenager & two juniors, none of which had any prior exposure to the characters. Everyone totally enjoyed it. Kept them totally entertained for the 90 or so minutes. Fantastic entertainment. & very much hoping there's a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As Saturday afternoon fare to amuse the kids it just about worked for our youngest (11) but it's utterly forgettable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Since I enjoy these videos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Found it dull, haven't read the books but there seemed to be too many plotholes , Denchs Top of the morning was cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

We watched it at the weekend hoping for good things and it was plain awful. They managed to make the lead characters utterly unlikeable and I'd love to know how much they had to pay extra to get Dame Judi to say that line. Hard to believe that it's a Kenneth Brannagh flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since I enjoy these videos

Every word of that was true. :D Loved the bit about Judi's agent - classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

My daughter says that during the scene where the giant is smashing the house the Artemis character is older in some scenes, they must have had to reshoot after the test screening, would explain some of the continuity errors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ill go against the grain and say I enjoyed it.
    Watched it a, second time, with the kids who also enjoyed it.

Loved the David Bowie reference to Labrynth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If you haven't read the book would the slaughter of the movie be as bad? I've seen a few movies that I enjoyed that people are really critical about because it didn't lavishly stick to the book, it's not being taken as a standalone movie. Or is it just ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Hurrache wrote: »
    If you haven't read the book would the slaughter of the movie be as bad? I've seen a few movies that I enjoyed that people are really critical about because it didn't lavishly stick to the book, it's not being taken as a standalone movie. Or is it just ****?
    I read the first book when it first came out, purely because of it's author being Irish, and it sounded like it might be good fun- it wasn't bad; silly, obviously, but fun. Read the second, but quickly saw it was a one-trick pony, so didn't bother after that. It sounds like much of the humour has been dropped, and consequently much of its charm. With the lead lacking charm also, it sounds a little too po-faced to be of much interest for many, particularly those who may have liked the books. It might have been one to watch with the kids, but not with these reviews, books read or not:

516859.png

Advertisement