Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Dorsett becomes the latest to jump ship, signing with Seattle. A list of who we've lost so far:

- Tom Brady
    - Ted Karras
    - Philip Dorsett
    - Ben Watson
    - Jamie Collins
    - Kyle Van Noy
    - Elandon Roberts
    - Danny Shelton
    - Duron Harmon
    - Nate Ebner
    - Stephen Gostkowski

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dorsett becomes the latest to jump ship, signing with Seattle. A list of who we've lost so far:

- Tom Brady
    - Ted Karras
    - Philip Dorsett
    - Ben Watson
    - Jamie Collins
    - Kyle Van Noy
    - Elandon Roberts
    - Danny Shelton
    - Duron Harmon
    - Nate Ebner
    - Stephen Gostkowski

Brady aside, has there been a turnover like this in the past in one season?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,612 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bennett,Blount, Collins, Long, Ryan, Sheard, Vollmer all left after 2016 season I think. We lost to the Eagles in Superbowl 52 and won 53.

We lost more than that, just mentioning the bigger names there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ghost hasn't recovered from his injury yet. This was a cap saving move. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back once he's recovered.

Strange cap saving move if they are accepting $3m in dead cap only to sign him back again.
    Brady aside, has there been a turnover like this in the past in one season?

Turnover is one thing but aside from teams that are tanking and purposefully eating dead cap, I can't really remember a team that has lost that number of players, signed so few new FAs, and still had so little cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a rebuild year
    We've done it somewhat in the past but with TB still at the helm it was less obvious.
    Anyone think we end up signing Cam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Turnover is one thing but aside from teams that are tanking and purposefully eating dead cap, I can't really remember a team that has lost that number of players, signed so few new FAs, and still had so little cap space.

Could the New England Patriots do the unthinkable and tank?
    With Tom Brady gone, the Pats find themselves at a crossroads. Would they consider tanking in the hope of finding their next franchise quarterback?

.........Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence ............

...........They have $26m worth of dead money on the books, meaning they’re paying players who won’t actually suit up for them, with $13.5m of that going towards Brady.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that the Patriots will be sellers when the NFL season resumes. The most likely scenario could be that Belichick sits back and sees what he has with Stidham and the rest of his roster.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/27/could-the-new-england-patriots-do-the-unthinkable-and-tank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Stating the obvious here but we need to sign someone. Doesn't matter how BB is as a coach, he's not winning sh't without a 'good' qb.

We've been told many times over the years by the media that it's the end of the dynasty. For most of the last twenty years the GOAT head coach has been underestimated.
    I said to you all last season that I felt that Brady's replacement was Jarrett Stidham. It's looking increasingly likely that he'll get his shot. It's not until he gets his shot that we'll really know what we've got but I'm very hopeful.
    Imo this is a very deep draft class so we have a good chance to improve greatly with twelve picks.
    Lots of players in positions we need to fill deep in this draft like at tight end where there's a host of talent, edge rusher is another deep spot in this draft as is wide receiver.

Stating the obvious here but we need to sign someone. Doesn't matter how BB is as a coach, he's not winning sh't without a 'good' qb.
    He won double digit games with Cassel.

ELM327 wrote: »

Which counts for sweet fa. If that's the expectation for the season ahead we may as well not even play. We either aim to win or what's the point.
    And we can't reasonably expect to win without a qb. There's been what, 2 teams in the past 20 years that have won the superbowl without a star qb and both had absolutely loaded defences. And both were about 20 years ago when rules were very different.

• Advertisement

The Eagles beat us with a subpar qb. the Broncos and the Ravens also won in the last ten years without a decent qb.

And why are you talking about quarterbacks. You haven't seen Stidham start yet or if he will be the starter in week 1.

Which counts for sweet fa. If that's the expectation for the season ahead we may as well not even play. We either aim to win or what's the point.
    And we can't reasonably expect to win without a qb. There's been what, 2 teams in the past 20 years that have won the superbowl without a star qb and both had absolutely loaded defences. And both were about 20 years ago when rules were very different.
    We were unlucky to miss the playoffs that year,we could have won it.

Of course the aim is always to win every game, win it all, but it doesnt happen every year. This year I think while the hope is for another ring, the expectation may have to be tempered. I think winning the division this year would be a brilliant result.

Could the New England Patriots do the unthinkable and tank?
    With Tom Brady gone, the Pats find themselves at a crossroads. Would they consider tanking in the hope of finding their next franchise quarterback?

.........Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence ............

...........They have $26m worth of dead money on the books, meaning they’re paying players who won’t actually suit up for them, with $13.5m of that going towards Brady.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that the Patriots will be sellers when the NFL season resumes. The most likely scenario could be that Belichick sits back and sees what he has with Stidham and the rest of his roster.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/27/could-the-new-england-patriots-do-the-unthinkable-and-tank

Tanking talk doesn't make any sense aside from him telling his players not to perform or purposefully making tactical errors. Aside from QB, Bill extended a number of players and tagged an OG.
    Lots of players in positions we need to fill deep in this draft like at tight end where there's a host of talent, edge rusher is another deep spot in this draft as is wide receiver.

Agree with you on WR but I'm not sure on your hopes of depth in those other positions. Sure you can find gems later in every draft but Edge is no where close to the quality of last year and TE looks like one of the weakest positions in the draft.

The Eagles beat us with a subpar qb. the Broncos and the Ravens also won in the last ten years without a decent qb.

And why are you talking about quarterbacks. You haven't seen Stidham start yet or if he will be the starter in week 1.

Well you obviously didn't hear the news ee, we've lost our qb. Surely you're aware of the significance of that. Is that okay with you to discuss?

Also Foles threw for nearly 400 yards that game and still could easily have lost.

What are your expectations of Stidham?
    We were unlucky to miss the playoffs that year,we could have won it.

Of course the aim is always to win every game, win it all, but it doesnt happen every year. This year I think while the hope is for another ring, the expectation may have to be tempered. I think winning the division this year would be a brilliant result.

Totally agree on the second part, but when games come down to the key moments we'll at the other team's mercy if we don't have someone that can deliver. QB has to be the priority.
    We don't even have a decent receiving corps atm, if Stidham is the answer we at least need to give him options.

Might be a moot point anyway with everything going on.

What are your expectations of Stidham?
    I like him a lot. Liked him at Auburn and liked what I seen in preseason last year.
    I'm very hopeful. I've stated that on more than one occasion in this thread over the past eight months. You really don't know how somebody will be as a starter until they actually do start but I'm confident that he'll be clutch if be he be is good enough.
    Totally agree on the second part, but when games come down to the key moments we'll at the other team's mercy if we don't have someone that can deliver. QB has to be the priority. We don't even have a decent receiving corps atm, if Stidham is the answer we at least need to give him options.
    I agree and with twelve picks we have the opportunity.
    I've no idea what BB will decide is the first round priority but I think there is great depth in the areas that are most important to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

After we went 18:1, we went 11:5.
    As great as Bill is, without a QB (and the many issues on the roster), I can't see the Pats getting near a double digit season.

Just having a moment of reality. Tom Brady is the greatest of all time and I love the man but if we meet the Bucs he is the enemy in my eyes, no two ways about it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He deserves that respect too. You hope the players, and they will, play as hard against him as they would anybody else. He has earned that kind of respect, don't soft peddle him because of who he is. Play it hard, play it fair and look to win. No conflicted feelings there at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

I'm following brandy to tampa

#teambrady

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Griselda wrote: »

#teambrady
    I'll follow how Brady does in Tampa, but it's all about the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

I'll follow how Brady does in Tampa, but it's all about the Pats.
    I follow the patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Griselda wrote: »

#teambrady

The singer? Does she know?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

New uniforms unveiled today.

adyovkh2nmrong39sc4q.jpg

uzpcmwffvxf6pjheeqk7.jpg

I don't like the shoulder thing.

I don't like the shoulder thing.

Likewise. The way it just ends abruptly puts me off, and it's too big.

Don't like the navy pants, would prefer silver to tie in with the helmet (or white if they changed the helmet to white too).

I thought the previous uniform was beautiful so was always going to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Gronk to the Buccs now looking likely

me89 wrote: »
    Gronk to the Buccs now looking likely

OJ Howard for Gronk?

Not bad getting a 4th round pick for basically nothing.

• Advertisement

Not bad getting a 4th round pick for basically nothing.

Seems like a pretty fair trade. Most 4th rounds turn out to be nothing, whereas Bucs get the GOAT TE off a year of recuperation. 4th is better than nothing but if Gronk plays well it'll be a steal.

Advertisement