Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the diversity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

But when there is no clear reason for the disproportionate representation of any demographic in the workplace, I don't see the harm in trying to rectify that over time.

Bear in mind, nobody is being forced to do it.

And it's interesting that any formal attempt to rebalance the workforce always receives a backlash, when everyone seems to ignore the initial imbalance that was going on, for years, unremarked.

So in order to ‘fix’ some perceived imbalance or make a company more diverse you want to rebalance ? Correcting a ‘perceived’ unfairness by creating another, brilliant.

If I’m a hiring manager my only thoughts regarding ‘balancing’ is having a diverse range of talent, skills and experience.... gender will be the last consideration, along with age, hair color etc..

If I go to X company tomorrow to attain a service my first consideration is that they have the people with the ability to provide a service, the intelligence to hire the right and best people... if the right people are 8 gender fluid, trisexuals from Armenia ? Great, if they are mostly all Dubs great...as long as the hiring is on merit, that’s fair."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I actually know one of the people in that photograph quite well. A very decent person.

As others on the thread have opined, I don’t see the reason for the outrage. The college may well have a very diverse student body and have good policies and practices in place.

Just because there is no obviously black person or people in the photo doesn’t mean that they don’t deserve the accolade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I thought most people were against artificial quotas. Do yiz want them or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But nobody is stopping you, or anyone, from doing that.

Diversity targets are implemented, by choice, by organisations who can see that they are employing workers from one disproportionately large demographic, without any clear reaeons.

That's what I find so strange. Let's assume that one-third of the population had blue eyes, one-third had brown eyes, and one-third were other. Why, heretofore, has it never been a problem that, for arguments sake, 80% of a firm's employees had blue eyes, and the lowest 20% work in menial roles?

Shouldn't *that* be setting off alarm bells, and causing policymakers and employers to ask themselves what's going on?

Obviously there can be clear reasons for how employees are distributed in terms of their demographics -- You'd expect to see a higher proportion of non EU doctors and nurses than that of non Irish civil servants.

But when there is no clear reason for the disproportionate representation of any demographic in the workplace, I don't see the harm in trying to rectify that over time.

Bear in mind, nobody is being forced to do it.

And it's interesting that any formal attempt to rebalance the workforce always receives a backlash, when everyone seems to ignore the initial imbalance that was going on, for years, unremarked.

And nobody wants to consider that meritocracy was probably never in place, even if it was the stated ideal. From socioeconomic differences to old school ties to people with ethnic surnames being less likely to be called to interview when everything else is equal to having the wrong address, the deck has probably always been stacked more towards some people than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

whats going on with the hand rail

Giant Smarties.

That's what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course there's diversity in the group. At least three came in from Borrisoleigh

Diversity programme only involves them being allowed to attend the college.

You can still bully them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Diversity means a lot more than just skin color or sex/sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

What about IQ, where's the diversity, most with a brain emigrate, the majority in Ireland have average intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

vriesmays wrote: »
    What about IQ, where's the diversity, most with a brain emigrate, the majority in Ireland have average intelligence.

v7c1kEZ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40 KP81

Plenty of diversity on display here. Both North AND South Tipp represented.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    So in order to ‘fix’ some perceived imbalance or make a company more diverse you want to rebalance ? Correcting a ‘perceived’ unfairness by creating another, brilliant.

I was trying so hard to show that the above statement is not the case, I repeated it for emphasis. Why are you replying to me if you're not bothering to read it?

Diversity targets intend to ensure that the employee population (across all levels of employment) reflect the general population, unless there are very clear reasons to the contrary*

*clearly there are access bottlenecks in the labour market, for want of a better term. For purely physical reasons, you're never going to have 50:50 male:female bricklayers, women are slighter than men, on average. But if your board of directors is 100% female (or male), then that might be something you'd consider addressing, given its so disproportionate to the population.

In case anyone is about to suggest it, I absolutely agree that there should be quotas for male primary school teachers.

For whatever reasons, probably cultural, there are primary schools who cannot get much if any oversight of GAA coaching in their schools. Given that we know that schoolchildren are becoming less and less active, that's a pressing issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

If you're looking for some comically hypocritical lack of diversity The Irish Times Trust and board of directors should be your first port of call:

https://www.irishtimes.com/about-us/the-irish-times-trust

KP81 wrote: »
    Plenty of diversity on display here. Both North AND South Tipp represented.

There's no such thing as North or South Tipp anymore. Reunification happened in the 2013 Electoral Act (Amendment).

It was our version of the good Friday Agreement. Got very little press coverage, but we can look one another in the face at last. A template for a united Ireland, I submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

sabat wrote: »
    If you're looking for some comically hypocritical lack of diversity The Irish Times Trust and board of directors should be your first port of call:

https://www.irishtimes.com/about-us/the-irish-times-trust
    Is Fintan aware of this???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

vriesmays wrote: »
    Diversity means more women.

Finally :pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There's no such thing as North or South Tipp anymore. Reunification happened in the 2013 Electoral Act (Amendment).

It was our version of the good Friday Agreement. Got very little press coverage, but we can look one another in the face at last. A template for a united Ireland, I submit.

And your new capital is ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

topper75 wrote: »
    And your new capital is ...?

Is it Nenagh?

No more North Riding and South Riding.

I'm sure ye miss the riding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

biko wrote: »
    17 people, 5 men.
    Not very equal is it?

It is, it's ok - progressive in fact - to be unequal in the "correct" way.
    Now behave yourself or I'll report you to the thought police and you shall be enlisted in a camp where you will be shown the right way to think you bigot!!

Advertisement