Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the diversity

Options
  • 12-10-2019 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

492815.png

Ooo is this like a Where's Wally puzzle, or are the black and Asian students in it but are ghosts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Trans Rodney Trotter in the middle is pretty diverse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

They've embedded "equality, diversity and inclusion into policies and practices within the College". That doesn't mean they can round up 'diverse' people and force them to enrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They've embedded "equality, diversity and inclusion into policies and practices within the College". That doesn't mean they can round up 'diverse' people and force them to enrol.

They could at leaat show off whatever bit they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Trans Rodney Trotter in the middle is pretty diverse

I’ve got the one to the left of him pegged down too, along with the one who looks like Tulip Tattsyrup. Tricks are for kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Diversity is like ****, it only rolls down hill.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

17 people, 5 men.
    Not very equal is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Weak outrage today but the gravy is good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stroll around the campus some time and see the reality of the place, instead of judging them by a photo op of some members of staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

It's only diversity when they say it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Diversity means more women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I'd say the xmas party is some craic.
    Herman fcukin Munster there up the back looks a bit of a mad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are diverse in everything but opinion...

biko wrote: »
    They are diverse in everything but opinion...

That's what diversity is about - people of different gender, nationality, age, religion but all thinking alike.

What a peculiar working environment. Suddenly a bit of hard graft doesn’t seem so bad, does it fellas

biko wrote: »
    17 people, 5 men.
    Not very equal is it?

The way I see that is guys muscling in on girls jobs. By masquerading as them! We’ve seen it in sport and it’s not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what colour did you think they were going to be in Thurles Ireland?

White.

As a man on the Internet I once again find myself outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

As a man on the Internet I once again find myself outraged

*white man

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I wouldn’t want to live in Tipperary either.

• Advertisement

All these pro-diversity dopes should move their families to Africa and see how long they last there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

every time I see pictures like that all I can think is how sorry I feel for men who have to wear suits every day to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats going on with the hand rail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Imagine getting paid for this.

whats going on with the hand rail

Let the colours of diversity guide you

Whether ascending or descending is your call. Either way it looks tacky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Of course there's diversity in the group. At least three came in from Borrisoleigh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Diversity as a concept is completely flawed and even unfair...

Example...

If I’m a hiring manager for say a gym...

I need 3 new trainers, I put add in paper, on gym notice boards, online, making it perfectly clear that ABC gym is an equal opportunity, fair and whatever else employer...

My own view is that for the benefit of the company, facility and customer the hiring process will be open, transparent, fair and with a view to hiring the best 3 candidates, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or age... right ? Wrong ! While in my own mind ‘the best’ could be 3 females, 3 males, 2/1 or 1/2 just as long as I hire the most suitable candidates....

The now politically correct thing is to hire... one female, one ethnically diverse individual and one gay person or similar demographic... so you are entering in reverse discrimination...the very well qualified and experienced Dermot from the Navan Road, two kids, hard worker, gets on with everyone and with a CV to die for will be getting the suit pressed, shoes shined, practicing his interview techniques and questions for a week with the wife and kids hoping this will be successful, job he always wanted, can provide a better standard of life for the kids and family, but...

It’s not going to work out...why ? Because...he has a penis...that people is discrimination..

Strumms wrote: »
    My own view is that for the benefit of the company, facility and customer the hiring process will be open, transparent, fair and with a view to hiring the best 3 candidates, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or age... right ? Wrong ! While in my own mind ‘the best’ could be 3 females, 3 males, 2/1 or 1/2 just as long as I hire the most suitable candidates....
    But nobody is stopping you, or anyone, from doing that.

Diversity targets are implemented, by choice, by organisations who can see that they are employing workers from one disproportionately large demographic, without any clear reaeons.

That's what I find so strange. Let's assume that one-third of the population had blue eyes, one-third had brown eyes, and one-third were other. Why, heretofore, has it never been a problem that, for arguments sake, 80% of a firm's employees had blue eyes, and the lowest 20% work in menial roles?

Shouldn't *that* be setting off alarm bells, and causing policymakers and employers to ask themselves what's going on?

Obviously there can be clear reasons for how employees are distributed in terms of their demographics -- You'd expect to see a higher proportion of non EU doctors and nurses than that of non Irish civil servants.

But when there is no clear reason for the disproportionate representation of any demographic in the workplace, I don't see the harm in trying to rectify that over time.

Bear in mind, nobody is being forced to do it.

And it's interesting that any formal attempt to rebalance the workforce always receives a backlash, when everyone seems to ignore the initial imbalance that was going on, for years, unremarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As a self-identified lesbian of colour, I find this thread offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

The problem with perceived "privilege" is that it is seen as everything but privilege. It's normality for those concerned.

There's been such a rush to hammer people over the head about their unknown privilege, that I doubt the consequences were thought through.

So now that people have been convinced, have recognised their privilege and how lucky they are to have it... The idea was that they'd willingly give up their advantages, make their lives harder, all in the name of "fairness" for some ethereal stranger?

You've only convinced someone that what they didn't value in the first place IS valuable.

Hm! Good luck with that, I say.

Advertisement