Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tusk's Walrus

Options
  • 30-09-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by Sir Tusk P. McTuskington Esq. Junior.

Why tho?

Music is such a huge part of my life. IRL I'm known as the guy who's constantly singing, humming, whistling and generally annoying people by infecting them with earworms. I've been singing and playing music since I was a kid and it's been a crutch for me through the years.

I tend to listen to the same things over and over again, and occasionally accidentally stumble across a song I haven't heard that blows me away. I rarely go actively looking for new music though because I'm a lazy fool, so I'm hoping you can help me with that.

What am I into?

If you were to look at my Spotify account, you'd probably think it belonged to a family of all ages and genders, spanning several generations. I love all sorts of music. And like the majority of the remainder.

I have a soft spot for classic rock and melodic instrumentals, great lyrics and a catchy tune. That said, you'd as easily catch me listening to system of a down and disturbed, as you would Mozart, Christy Moore, Eminem or some mad dubstep remix and all that comes between.

Really the only thing I'm not into is screechy screaming. So the options are (almost) endless.

Pink Floyd would probably take the mantle as my favourite band, followed closely by the Eagles.

I'll outline the Categories below. Feel free to include the reason why you've picked what you have. I love a good story too.

Note: I want to be as impartial as possible in this, so please send your PMs to sKeith, and he'll anonymise then for me. Thanks SK you beautiful man you!

1. The Pinger
    There are certain songs that just have an astronomical effect on me. No matter how many times I hear them they evoke a serious level of emotion in me. Send me a song that does the same for you. Happy, sad, excited, it's up to you.

2. The Changeling
    Ever have a song you just know you hate. You don't know why, but you do? Then somehow for no apparent reason you start humming it when it comes on. All of a sudden you're actively seeking it out on Spotify or YouTube? Submit a song you initially hated but then grew to like.

3. The Blackhole
    Being a fan of classical music and Pink Floyd, you've gotta enjoy those songs that last a bit longer than your regular top 40. Gimme a song that's at least 7 minutes long.

4. The Obscurial
    We all have a couple of songs that we think nobody else we know has heard. It feels great, but do you share or keep it to yourself? Well in walrus you gotta share. Send me the most obscure song you think I'll never have heard of.

5. The Belter
    I ruin my neighbors' evenings regularly by belting out some of my favorite songs on guitar, singing my head off. My favorite things to sing are songs with a lot of emotion. Songs that you can hear the passion in. Gimme a song to learn and add to my arsenal of choons to squeel my little brains out to.

I'm so excited for this! Hit me with your best shot.

No idea of when I'll do the reveal, we'll see how the sign ups go and decide a bit down the line.

Cheerio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

tusk wrote: »
    Note: I want to be as impartial as possible in this, so please send your PMs to sKeith, and he'll anonymise then for me.

To enter, PMs to me. Thanking you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oooh interesting.

tusk can I enter on behalf of my wife? I've been promising her she could for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »
    Oooh interesting.

tusk can I enter on behalf of my wife? I've been promising her she could for a while :)

Feel free to send on both of your entries :) .....to SK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

How many songs?

I am in for this! ......

......just not right now, as I'm on holiday at the moment (and quite drunk)

But once morning and/or sobriety hits, I shall be there.

• Advertisement

Haven't entered one of these in a while. I will endeavour to enter this one! I like the anonymity aspect Tusk.

khalessi wrote: »
    How many songs?

One per category.

Remember, PMs go to sKeith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Necro wrote: »

Joban wrote:
    Yeah. Your "wife"
    Ah here, Mrs. Leave him alone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »
    Ah here, Mrs. Leave him alone.

Necrina VS Joban

tenor.gif

Should this not be called Walrus tusk?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297dade40b3b312b1f239b4f6278b497b196f185d4&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I WILL DO THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Should this not be called Walrus tusk?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f297dade40b3b312b1f239b4f6278b497b196f185d4&rid=giphy.gif

If that's not worth enough bonus points to guarantee victory, I don't know what is! :pac:

Too obvious... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great categories, I like the breadth of your musical taste.

Pretzill wrote: »
    Great categories, I like the breadth of your musical taste.

But not the taste of his musical breath?

fixxxer wrote: »
    But not the taste of his musical breath?

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Think I might have 4/5 lined up. At least, I have a decent first idea for each.

Struggling with one I hated and came round to, think I'm too stubborn for that :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Struggling with one I hated and came round to, think I'm too stubborn for that :p

That could be the one that stops me entering if I can't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

How long is this open for?

kitten_k wrote: »
    How long is this open for?

At least a week. Probably two

• Advertisement

According to my source on the inside, there are at least 4 entries so far!

We have a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

i will get mine in by tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Do you need video links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yeah I have one there that isn’t on Spotify but is on YouTube

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yeah I have one there that isn’t on Spotify but is on YouTube

Please don't make yourself identifiable, as the whole point of going anon was to remove bias based on knowing who submitted what.

Any links will be fine. YouTube. Spotify. Whatever. I'll find the song either way

Bit mean making sKieth do all that work when we have those Anon WW accounts gathering dust ;)

fixxxer wrote: »
    Bit mean making sKieth do all that work when we have those Anon WW accounts gathering dust ;)

I've already made up 20 fake name, that was the hardest part of being the man in the middle.

Would happily be man in middle again if anybody else needs one.

I do like the anonymous idea.

• Advertisement

sKeith:
    2923mN3pnd7PfoCxi33KnbGwgxk38GRAXbQxWqUqyS2whJiNPKNTX8wYvsbEUCBuwpjCnTfWST8ETGH5oehD2CHUvkYyBZuxWjS6wBypQXhmga

Advertisement