Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned boats.

Options
  • 01-09-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I suggested this to a MENS SHED member close to the sea, refurbish an abandoned old boat (on dry land) he was very interested, he followers Fergals story's.
    I see a few (actually quite a few) (on dry land) abandoned boats in my local boat yards with trees growing in them as their there so long, all sizes, sail & motor.
    Been a previous employee of a marina, he say's a boat must be abandoned 12 years with no payments before marina / boat yard can lay claim and sell it on.?
    Seems a bit long?
    Is this through?

Plenty of small project MENS SHED boats that I see, but the 12 year rule seems long?

Any guidance anybody ?

Sounds like an ideal projects for a lot of locals and shipwrights I know.

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Water ways Ireland have lifted a lot of old boats this year that will be sold off at auction, might be worth keeping an eye on. I see Drogheda men's shed have just finished building a boat so there is some interest there but when I started my boat I asked the local Men's shed if they would like to get involved but they didn't, I donated all the tools I won in the Arrow competition and that was the last I heard from them :(

I also have a friend that is a member of a men's shed he has a very large wooden ship that he wants to make into a place for the homeless to stay in and with the help of a few sheds this could be very possible.

There is a lot involved in taking on an old boat because of the law "stealing by finding" you have to prove that you have done everything possible to find the owner including taking out adds in the paper maybe 12 years is the breakaway point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tom44 wrote: »
    I suggested this to a MENS SHED member close to the sea, refurbish an abandoned old boat (on dry land) h.....
    I see a few (actually quite a few) (on dry land) abandoned boats in my local boat yards .....a boat must be abandoned 12 years with no payments before marina / boat yard can lay claim and sell it on.?

So in a nutshell you want to steal a boat and renovate it?
    Why not try to find the owner and obtain it as a gift or for a small purchase price?
    Twelve years is the period required for adverse possession, but you have to be in possession for that period to have that right. Also the courts generally are easier on the owner, not the 'grabber'.
    Go on, take it, but as possessor for 12 years it would be fun to see your face when Waterways Ireland/boatyard come after you for 12 years arrears of mooring/storage fees.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Pedro
    I never mentioned steal a boat, I don't need to, I just found it strange that a boat has to be left on dry land storage without any payments for 12 years before boat yard / marina is allowed to sell it to recoup outstanding bill.
    Boats I've seen wouldn't fetch €500 and most a lot less, some look as if you'd be paid to take them away, so I'm not talking major league.
    Also the purpose of my question wasn't for myself, but for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I should have used more emojis.
    Twelve years is the period for adverse possession of land, I’ve no idea if it applies to boats. However, all property is owned, and even if it is abandoned others may have rights to it (a lien). Taking it without obtaining proper title is stealing.
    A boatyard or landowner would not have to wait 12 years to take action – a few months of unpaid storage fees is enough to start the recovery process.

Advertisement