Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollow Knight

Comments

There's those floating jellyfish/brain/metroid things that fly at you and explode when you kill them. I'd also like to know if you can deflect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I sort of ran under them so they ended up killing themselves with the projectile (if that make sense?)

Did that damage you too?

Had a rage inducing platform section this morning to free one of the creatures in the jars. Must have taken me an hour as I refused to give up. I had to bounce on those mushrooms all the way up. I'm enjoying the game despite the raging.

Could you describe the creature in more detail? Not sure what you are talking about. Is those ones that suicide downwards from the roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could you describe the creature in more detail? Not sure what you are talking about. Is those ones that suicide downwards from the roof?

I think it's the vine things on the wall that shoot the tracking green ball at you?

Yeah as TitianGerm says, in Fungal Wastes when you get close to them they pop out of the wall and fire a projectile at you that tracks and explodes. Like a mass of tenticles. Called sporgs according to the wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I miss this wonderful game, the messenger isn't doing it for me yet!
    Easily my game of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Yeah as TitianGerm says, in Fungal Wastes when you get close to them they pop out of the wall and fire a projectile at you that tracks and explodes. Like a mass of tenticles. Called sporgs according to the wiki.

I don't think those ones can be hit back. Another area has similar type projectiles that can be hit back tho.

kellso81 wrote: »
    I don't think those ones can be hit back. Another area has similar type projectiles that can be hit back tho.

Was watching someone on YouTube do it so they definitely can.

Not sure I have the patience for this. Some of the platforming has me raging like never before. The part in Mantis Village where you have to open all the doors took me ages. Have to be pixel perfect. Tried challenging the Mantis Lords and they (1st one) just swatted me like the annoying insect I am. Onto another bit in the direction of Hornet for the second time. Got one bridge opened but the next part is so hard to navigate. Need to take a break because I'm getting frustrated so making stupid mistakes. I like the game but damn it's tough.

Was watching someone on YouTube do it so they definitely can.

Not sure I have the patience for this. Some of the platforming has me raging like never before. The part in Mantis Village where you have to open all the doors took me ages. Have to be pixel perfect. Tried challenging the Mantis Lords and they (1st one) just swatted me like the annoying insect I am. Onto another bit in the direction of Hornet for the second time. Got one bridge opened but the next part is so hard to navigate. Need to take a break because I'm getting frustrated so making stupid mistakes. I like the game but damn it's tough.

For the Mantis Lords stay in the middle of the platform when they throw the spinning disks. It's really easy to dodge and then you can heal during that attack if you time it right.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    For the Mantis Lords stay in the middle of the platform when they throw the spinning disks. It's really easy to dodge and then you can heal during that attack if you time it right.

Getting better at Mantis Lords. They take a lot of hits though and I inevitably mess up. I met someone who suggested visiting a city where I can upgrade my nail. Is that a big trek? I reckon if I could increase my damage output I'd have this. Also, do you have to buy the mask fragments or are they there to be found in the world? I've only got three, two of which where definitely bought and I think I may have also bought the third one. Still only 5 mask lifebar although I have the lifeblood charm equipped. Should my HP bar be bigger at this stage?

Getting better at Mantis Lords. They take a lot of hits though and I inevitably mess up. I met someone who suggested visiting a city where I can upgrade my nail. Is that a big trek? I reckon if I could increase my damage output I'd have this. Also, do you have to buy the mask fragments or are they there to be found in the world? I've only got three, two of which where definitely bought and I think I may have also bought the third one. Still only 5 mask lifebar although I have the lifeblood charm equipped. Should my HP bar be bigger at this stage?

Hit them when they are just floating to the side of the platform after they dash attack you. Just go for two hits. The rest of the time just dodge.

I used this map to find a few collectibles I missed.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/937186534572002861/C2B665B18C4B8EC4D429D02FD53C2DAD358A8F86/

Think the masks can be found too. I found the mantis Lords tough and went elsewhere and levelled up further, much easier when I returned.

sweetie wrote: »
    Think the masks can be found too. I found the mantis Lords tough and went elsewhere and levelled up further, much easier when I returned.

Yeah, think I'll have to do same. The NPC I met told me to level up the nail before taking them on so I would take that as being the intended way of dealing with them. Just need to find the Smith now! It really is a fantastic game and under €15 for the base game and all the DLC packs is a bargain.

So satisfying beating a Boss that initially seemed impossible. Couldn't find the Smith so ended up taking down Mantis Lords with unupgraded nail. Took a while. Great boss. Great game. Better than I thought it would be.

Just finished it last night. Only got 56% percent completion after 19 hours. Enjoyable all around.

• Advertisement

Just finished it last night. Only got 56% percent completion after 19 hours. Enjoyable all around.

Is that including all of the expansions? I expected it to be longer for some reason. Not that I'm complaining. Quality over quantity and all that.

I arrived in City of Tears. Found the Smith. Turned it off at Royal Waterways. Not before discovering some nice shortcuts in the City. Brilliant level design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Took me about 38h for 83% complete.

It's amazing value

Screw Soul Master. Thought fight was over only for a fourth phase to kick off when I ran to the Jacks. Don't know if it's genius or cheap.

And he's down. This has to be the only platformer that's made my heart pound the way Souls and Bloodborne combat does. Addictive game. Have the ground pound ability now. Sweet.

After getting past Dung Defender. The Royal Waterways is a scary place. Enemies in there are a pain in the arse. Always lose a few masks on them.

In relation to the 4 DLC packs. Are these in game or separate from the main campaign entirely? If the former, do you come across them naturally during gameplay or is there some obscure way of gaining access.

Probably sound like a broken record but the game is fantastic. It really is a joy to play. Up there with God of War for my favourite game of 2018.

I'm not sure. I assume the dlc's are part of the game already.

Did anyone else not really use any of advanced nail techniques in combat? I used the regular slash the whole way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going to reinstall this and give it one more go. Was really enjoying it but became completely stuck at the Watcher Knight Boss. No matter what I did I could not beat him. Hes going to be even harder now that Ive taken a break from the game and forget the map/game play.:(

Glebee wrote: »
    Going to reinstall this and give it one more go. Was really enjoying it but became completely stuck at the Watcher Knight Boss. No matter what I did I could not beat him. Hes going to be even harder now that Ive taken a break from the game and forget the map/game play.:(

Dash charm or keep jumping against the wall and landing on their heads for nail jumps.

Dash charm or keep jumping against the wall and landing on their heads for nail jumps.

Its fcuking impossible..... Agghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Glebee wrote: »
    Its fcuking impossible..... Agghhhhhhhhhh

Shadow Dash is a really necessary charm to beat some of the last bosses inc. the Watcher Knights and Traitor Lord

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Shadow Dash is a really necessary charm to beat some of the last bosses inc. the Watcher Knights and Traitor Lord

Went to see could I get the shadow dash charm, but the hornet battle is killing me now. Maybe this game is not for me.:( I cant understand though that Im so far in (played 15hrs) and suddenly just hit a wall..

How is everyone so far in after 15 hours and finishing in 19? I'm over 38 hours in and still have 19 bosses to go, not including dream ones, just counted after seeing above messages. I've wandered around lost for ages admittedly but not that long. Just acquired crystal heart and taking on broken vessel at the moment. Still places I can't reach as I can't double jump or anything.

How is everyone so far in after 15 hours and finishing in 19? I'm over 38 hours in and still have 19 bosses to go, not including dream ones, just counted after seeing above messages. I've wandered around lost for ages admittedly but not that long. Just acquired crystal heart and taking on broken vessel at the moment. Still places I can't reach as I can't double jump or anything.

Probably not exploring as much, missing lots of charms and collectables, missing a few bosses and not getting all nail upgrades?

Probably not exploring as much, missing lots of charms and collectables, missing a few bosses and not getting all nail upgrades?

Suppose. Seems extreme time difference all the same. Maybe I'm just really really bad at the game haha and dying a lot. I only have 18 charms!

I got around half the charms and mostly went straight for whatever I thought would progress me further. I have a bad habit of getting bored of games and not finishing them so tend to rush through them whilst the mechanics are still interesting. I must have gotten lucky with the directions I decided to go. I only had serious trouble with two bosses; the mantis lords and the final boss. You guys need to git gud :pac:

You guys need to git gud :pac:

Haha yep, that's true. I am genuinely bad at games despite being my favourite pass time. Very slow to learn. Why I hate PVP in general though I love the PVE. When I find a game I enjoy I do tend to focus on that and not much else. Played all Souls/Borne games exclusively for over a year. I enjoy the challenge!

Just acquired the moth wings (double jump). Taking on the dream variant of Broken Vessel now. Tough one. Few more places to get to now I have this ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On the verge of buying this as it's 7 quid on PSN. Only thing that's stopping me is the look of salt and sanctuary which I couldn't get into at all. People on here find it better than that?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    On the verge of buying this as it's 7 quid on PSN. Only thing that's stopping me is the look of salt and sanctuary which I couldn't get into at all. People on here find it better than that?

Much much better. S&S was frustrating for me but Hollow Knight is brilliant. Very challenging but not cheaply so. Beautiful art style and soundtrack as well. For €7 it's well worth it as you get the DLC included on the PS4 release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh it's a different level to S&S. Much different kind of game.

Good enough for me, add to basket :)

Just started it, jumped down a well, came across a huge ****er who looked like a boss compared to the yokes I had been fighting, beat him and freed a slug. Dunno wtf is going on but I'm intrigued :)

I keep expecting the clumps of stuff that falls out of enemies to move to me as I get close to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That'll happen soon... keep playing. :o

I thought this was going the Celeste route of 'fall in some spikes? Don't worry, insta restart on the same screen' and then I after a few times I was sent back to the bench with the enemies respawned :(

I need to figure out how my health and life works!

Also, I had saved a slug past the big guy, so I have to save him again or is it one and done? Don't want to fight that guy again if I don't have to.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought this was going the Celeste route of 'fall in some spikes? Don't worry, insta restart on the same screen' and then I after a few times I was sent back to the bench with the enemies respawned :(

I need to figure out how my health and life works!

Also, I had saved a slug past the big guy, so I have to save him again or is it one and done? Don't want to fight that guy again if I don't have to.

It's like Dark Souls in terms of story telling and in that key actions you do save automatically so no, you won't have to free slug again. Benches are bonfires and like Dark Souls enemies reset when you rest. You can bounce on spikes by the way. Enjoy it man, it's a fantastic game.

I've been playing ori and the blind forest recently. Very similar to this. A bit closer to a platformer though than hollow Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked up this again there for an hour and yet again achieved absolutely nothing. Is there a suggested order to tackle the areas or something? Only ability I have unlocked at the moment is the dash.

I keep wandering around trying to find the map dude but can never find him. Stumble on something interesting then and think 'great, I'll mark that on my map' only to open the map to a big black void.

Nice looking game and all and I'm about 6 hours in but not sure I could be arsed now. Enjoyed Ori so much more than this so far.

You need to find a couple of things in that area to progress IIRC. Try and explore and memorise the area and eventually you will get to next stage and it will have clicked. Took me a few hours too.

sweetie wrote: »
    You need to find a couple of things in that area to progress IIRC. Try and explore and memorise the area and eventually you will get to next stage and it will have clicked. Took me a few hours too.

I've been through Fungal Wastes and Foggy something or other and keep getting to points in them that I need a new ability for. Then I realise I have no map pins and there's no way I'll remember where that point is when I eventually unlock that ability and off I go again in my merry circle of lostness.

I just think they put way too much time into making the map system as convoluted and awkward as possible and it's kind of sucking the fun out of it for me. Loved it at the start to the point I own it on 2 systems but I spend 90% of game time wandering around in circles for the 10% I actually make some little progress.

My habit of drooping the game and picking it up a few months later probably isn't helping things cos I'm losing the flow of where I've just been and where I might need to go

skerry wrote: »
    Picked up this again there for an hour and yet again achieved absolutely nothing. Is there a suggested order to tackle the areas or something? Only ability I have unlocked at the moment is the dash.

I keep wandering around trying to find the map dude but can never find him. Stumble on something interesting then and think 'great, I'll mark that on my map' only to open the map to a big black void.

Nice looking game and all and I'm about 6 hours in but not sure I could be arsed now. Enjoyed Ori so much more than this so far.

There's a map in the link below. If your really struggling use it to find the map guy in each area.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/937186534572002861/C2B665B18C4B8EC4D429D02FD53C2DAD358A8F86/

There's a map in the link below. If your really struggling use it to find the map guy in each area.

Thanks for that. According to that I seem to have walked pretty much right over the boll1x several times. I'll try unlock him for the areas I've explored and see where that gets me if I have The head to pick it up again anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Any release date on the follow-up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Xofpod wrote: »
    Any release date on the follow-up yet?

Nothing so far, but Ive a small hope that they might tease a date during the Nintendo E3 Direct, seeing as they revealed the Silksong trailer in a Direct before.

Finally got to see the end credits of this last night. Finished with 92% completion. What a game. Started a new save rather than picking up where I'd left off months back. After fighting the last boss it puts you outside the room so I'm probably going to try for 100% and the other ending. Just 6 grubs to find according to the map you get after a certain boss fight. Can't see me being able to get 112%. Wouldn't be able for some of the bosses in the Godmaster pack. I was also just half way through Grimm Troupe DLC so want to finish that also. Can't wait for the new game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Chalk another one up as someone who found this on the Switch. It's a beautiful, truly gorgeous game that's full of atmosphere. The platforming is tight and responsive, with some satisfying precision areas that aren't excessively demanding. Combats good, and so far it's clicking (about 10 hours in)

The map design though... ack. That's what keeps killing me. The save points are too far apart and the "train" lines between maps too few, never centrally placed either so backtracking is often a chore rather than an adventure. This is especially egregious in cases with boss fights, where getting killed dumps you back across the map.

The moment to moment gameplay is perfect though, and keeps me interested. As does the aesthetic, and enigmatically quirky characters. I never thought I'd go "awww..." at a wriggly grub :D The tedium of crossing the map does make me question continuing.

I only recall one long painful Boss run in the game, maybe two at most. Could swear you either had a bench or a short cut next to the Boss rooms. I do have a crap memory though so am probably wrong.

Some of the platforming gets very creative and very difficult requiring almost pixel perfect timing. Kind of agree on map. Used to hate giving up a notch for the compass. Game oozes atmosphere. It's probably the most value I've ever had in a game in terms of both quality and quantity compared to the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

pixelburp wrote: »
    Chalk another one up as someone who found this on the Switch. It's a beautiful, truly gorgeous game that's full of atmosphere. The platforming is tight and responsive, with some satisfying precision areas that aren't excessively demanding. Combats good, and so far it's clicking (about 10 hours in)

The map design though... ack. That's what keeps killing me. The save points are too far apart and the "train" lines between maps too few, never centrally placed either so backtracking is often a chore rather than an adventure. This is especially egregious in cases with boss fights, where getting killed dumps you back across the map.

The moment to moment gameplay is perfect though, and keeps me interested. As does the aesthetic, and enigmatically quirky characters. I never thought I'd go "awww..." at a wriggly grub :D The tedium of crossing the map does make me question continuing.

There's a way of placing a teleport marker called a dreamgate, as with most things in the game there's a bit of effort required to get the ability but well worth it to avoid the tedium of backtracking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement