Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Retrofit Pilot Programme

Options
  • 03-07-2018 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has anyone here applied for the Deep Retrofit Pilot Programme for 2018?

I am finding it very difficult to get on the scheme.
    Many of the contractors are based in the midlands and east of the country.

I've contacted a number of companies from the SEAI website but they don't seem to do work in the West (based in Mayo).
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/deep-retrofit-programme/

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louiseseai

Hi S,

Some of the homes across the applications in the least 12 months have included homes in Mayo and other areas in the North West so it is worth contacting them all.

The market is still building to respond to the demand from homeowners and we are seeing it build so hopefully there is a service provider on the list who will be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

louiseseai wrote: »
    Hi S,

Some of the homes across the applications in the least 12 months have included homes in Mayo and other areas in the North West so it is worth contacting them all.

The market is still building to respond to the demand from homeowners and we are seeing it build so hopefully there is a service provider on the list who will be able to help you.

Thanks for your reply Louise.

A number of contractors have come back to me. They are not taking on any new applications for 2018.
    Do you know when applications for 2019 start?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @louiseseai In the interests of full disclosure, can you confirm if you are a staff member of SEAI?

Hi All - yes I work for SEAI.

@S The deadline for applications for receipt of applications for 2018 is 27th of July. We do accept and approve applications all year round but 2019 project works can't commence until January 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

louiseseai wrote: »
    @S The deadline for applications for receipt of applications for 2018 is 27th of July. We do accept and approve applications all year round but 2019 project works can't commence until January 2019.

Hi. Is this scheme available from January in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

does anyone know if Oil Boilers can be retained (or upgraded rather) if solar water and wood stoves are being added? What about mains gas?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

does anyone know if Oil Boilers can be retained (or upgraded rather) if solar water and wood stoves are being added? What about mains gas?

No
    Heat pumps are the policy preferred

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

thanks - generally speaking, can external insulation + new doors/windows (properly fitted) satisfy the air change targets? I would expect to use a DCV system - presumably this is acceptable rather than MHRV- are these taped over for the test or how does it work?

[justify]·        [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dwellings for which funding is provided must achieve an air permeability of 5m3/h/m2@50 pa or lower;[/font][/justify]
    [justify]·     [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Energy monitoring post-works, i.e. metering. Provision of bills will not be sufficient. Metering of the electricity consumption of the house as a whole and metering of the heat pump consumption, where a heat pump has been installed;[/font][/justify]
    ·         [font=Calibri, sans-serif]SEAI also require that mechanical ventilation systems are used to provide adequate and controllable ventilation in order to ensure good indoor air quality.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

thanks - generally speaking, can external insulation + new doors/windows (properly fitted) satisfy the air change targets? I would expect to use a DCV system - presumably this is acceptable rather than MHRV- are these taped over for the test or how does it work?

It depends on what the leaks are and where they are. It's very possible that proper taping of doors and windows would get you below 5 in conjunction with external wall insulation but it's not a given.

It would need to be lower than 3 at least to warrant MVHR.

As far as I know, ducting is covered during the airtightness test. They're looking for 'uncontrolled' air leakage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mistymeg

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi. Is this scheme available from January in Donegal?

I've also been looking into this and am based in donegal. Are there any contractors taking on Donegal applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoadRunner2000

Hello S,

I am investigating this at the moment. I am also very interested in the grant and want to apply for 2019 funding. The application requires 5 houses in the area.

Also, I am having the same problem trying to find a contractor. Let me know if you get any information and I will do the same!

Thanks,

T

Seems to be limited. I had no luck finding anything so far in Donegal. Be interested to hear what plans are for expanding it in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoadRunner2000

Lousia,

Can you assist in locating contractors in Galway who are able to do Deep Retrofit?

Thank you,

T

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

Also interested in air to water deep retrofit. Anyone in Galway gone ahead with this? Would be keen to hear how if went and what the heat / bills are like post works. For those looking at Deep Retrofit in Donegal etc, Kingspan are doing them nationally but will only use their own products.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Anybody know, if you were to be building an extension also, could you get this grant too?

Johnnyq79 wrote: »
    Anybody know, if you were to be building an extension also, could you get this grant too?

I could be wrong, but I think it only covers the existing dwelling. You probably have to cover the extension yourself. Others may clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Has anyone on here been through this scheme? It would be interesting to hear their experiences, costs and how much they got back, before and after, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Did you watch eco eye on RTE the other day?

had 2 couples going through the scheme on it. was interesting

40/50k seems to be a more realistic price for detached homes. So 80/100k total for the deep retro fit works.
    you would then want other works done I would imagine if you have floors up etc.. so it's not the cheapest thing to go through.

I am waiting on a price for our own house this week but don't expect it to be cheap. i'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Will take a look back at that rte player. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mistymeg

jay0109 wrote: »
    Will take a look back at that rte player. Thanks

I’m donegal based and eventually managed to get in touch with a contractor through Kingspan. He tells me it will be this time next year before he gets to my house due to the amount he has on his list and also the time it takes with administration. He advised it’s a slow process. Im going to be carrying out some small renovations and would think cost of new windows will be included to avail of the grant. For example changing standard kitchen windows to large 3.5m sliding. We will see.

The issue that concerns me slightly is that there is only one contractor in donegal doing this (that I know of) so will that mean less competitive costings?

I got my ber rating yesterday E2..E for Eskimo 🀣 I watched eco eye on player last night. It was good, gave good insight into the process so worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WhestCork2018

Does anyone know of a contractor based in Cork that is doing the Deep Retrofit scheme, We are doing a full renovation and this programme is really peaking our interest at the moment because we are doing everything, i.e external insulation, new roof, windows, heating system, plumbing, electricals, but we too are finding it very hard to find information on what contractors do it and I am not sure if the SEAI website is updated with current contractors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

If we are going spending that much money we figure we may aswell try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WhestCork2018

Has anyone had any luck with this? any of the contractors that I have contacted seem to be "Full to capacity" or not taking on any more projects at the moment?

Has anyone on here actually completed the scheme?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

booooonzo wrote: »
    Did you watch eco eye on RTE the other day?

had 2 couples going through the scheme on it. was interesting

40/50k seems to be a more realistic price for detached homes. So 80/100k total for the deep retro fit works.
    you would then want other works done I would imagine if you have floors up etc.. so it's not the cheapest thing to go through.

I am waiting on a price for our own house this week but don't expect it to be cheap. i'll let you know

Jaysus.

Hope the next owners of these houses or the owners grandkids appreciate the spend that'll never pay back in the owners lifetime!

just got mine back 140k +

ridiculous.

that involves EWI/Tripple glazing/new doors. air 2 water pump/ UFH / solar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

just got mine back 140k +

ridiculous.

that involves EWI/Tripple glazing/new doors. air 2 water pump/ UFH / solar

How big is your house and where are you based in the country?

What is EWI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

EWI is external wall insulation

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    How big is your house and where are you based in the country?

What is EWI?

yip, external wall insulation
    based in NorthWest
    house is 220sqM 2 story detached.

not small but not massive either.
    the more i think about it the crazier the quote seems. I would be better buy a ruin and start with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Buddy83

yip, external wall insulation
    based in NorthWest
    house is 220sqM 2 story detached.

not small but not massive either.
    the more i think about it the crazier the quote seems. I would be better buy a ruin and start with that.

Wowza, thats a crazy quote, is there any room for bringing the cost down, will they allow if applicable, pumping the walls instead of EWI or foregoing the UFH all together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Construction is expensive.

Advertisement