Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knightsgate, Rush

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

bluegal123 wrote: »
    Hi All :)
    Currently in a merry go round with Eir regarding broadband. They seem to be trying to strongarm me into a contract before they send out engineers which will take place 'within 3-5 working days'
    Doesn't seem too believable to me, somehow!
    I have sent some emails to local councillors about this, if anyone has the time to do the same, might help if the pressure is coming from other angles too!
    My understanding from their replies is there is an officer in charge of broadband connections in Fingal Coco. Maybe they can help us :)

Eir tried to do that with me, too - saying that I had the 14-day cooling-off period to cancel my contract if there was no connection available (!). Umm, no thanks.

Good idea on the councillors, I'll do that today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Lads, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the timer on the heating to boost. i.e. set it to come on from 5am - 6am to have the house warm for when we get up.

There's a clock on the panel that you can set a time for, and numbers which go from 1-7. But no 'start/end' option. I know that air to water systems are left on 24/7 but is there no option to 'boost' it without getting up and manually doing it?

Also, what's the book icon in the top right hand corner for? It doesn't do anything when I press/hold it down.

The only instruction manual we seem to have is for the water pump panel, which we were told not to mess with the settings of unless we need more hot water at some point.

Anyone?! This is driving me mad. Can't find anything online about it either.

I don't know if it's actually right but they'd told us to just set the temperature you want the house to be at on the units on the wall and keep it at that temperature all the time which should save power and negate the need for a boost. The rads will never get hot enough for a normal boost like you'd get with gas or oil as they just gradually raise the temperature.

That could be wrong though

Anyone with the Three mobile broadband routers had their service come back to normal? Ours has been basically non existant since the middle of last week

I don't know if it's actually right but they'd told us to just set the temperature you want the house to be at on the units on the wall and keep it at that temperature all the time which should save power and negate the need for a boost. The rads will never get hot enough for a normal boost like you'd get with gas or oil as they just gradually raise the temperature.

That could be wrong though

Anyone with the Three mobile broadband routers had their service come back to normal? Ours has been basically non existant since the middle of last week

I'm pretty sure they told us that too, but I'm in mortal fear of having a huge bill in the next month or two if the constant temp is set too high!

That video above explains it quite well - it is possible to have it set to come on for set periods of time, and the 1-7 signifies the days of the week, i.e. you won't have the same heating needs at the weekend.

My Three coverage was ****e over the weekend but has been a lot better today -- seems back to a 4G signal throughout the house.

That's how to set the controller, I assume that also applies to houses that use that model for gas and oil. From playing around with putting the temperature up you would be a long while waiting for it to reach the boosted temperature so I'm not sure it would actually work as intended but we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roisin81

I recently put a deposit on one of the houses on the avenue in knightsgate. I notice the drives are downward sloping towards the houses. Anyone have any notions on whether this is a flooding risk in heavy rain?? Feedback much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dommi1

Our internet was not working at all from the middle of last week. Couldn't even load web pages. Went to Harvey Norman this morning to get a router that can take the 4G sim card and it works perfectly again.

That's how to set the controller, I assume that also applies to houses that use that model for gas and oil. From playing around with putting the temperature up you would be a long while waiting for it to reach the boosted temperature so I'm not sure it would actually work as intended but we'll see

I know what you mean. I have the heating on for 1.5 hours and the rads still aren't fully warm.... I was wondering was it just mine. Some of them seem to take longer than others, but we've bled them to check and it still seems the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

The rads will never come on full blast like an oil or gas boiler. It's a slow heating system to essentially always be on with the use of a thermostat. Just set your desired temperature and dont touch it again. Not sure what you mean by turning the heating on for an hour and a half? If you mean cranking the thermostat up high to force the house to heat up quicker then that will be a really uneconomical way to heat your house.

Brego888 wrote: »
    The rads will never come on full blast like an oil or gas boiler. It's a slow heating system to essentially always be on with the use of a thermostat. Just set your desired temperature and dont touch it again. Not sure what you mean by turning the heating on for an hour and a half? If you mean cranking the thermostat up high to force the house to heat up quicker then that will be a really uneconomical way to heat your house.

Thanks. I admit that I really don't understand how the system works because we were given a super quick run-through when we moved in, and no manual.

By 'turning it on' I meant raising the temperature above the current temp until the heating clicked on (the flame icon) - mostly to check the radiators (some don't seem to be heating up fully, only at the bottom) but also because the house was freezing. We were also told not to raise the ambient temp too high over the winter (!) because it could cause cracks in the walls of a new house. I'm also wary of getting a huge bill by having it high (what's even classed as 'high'?) because I haven't a clue how it works.

Have someone coming in today to look at it, so will figure it out then.

Yeah no doubting it is very different from any heating system we'd all be used to.
    I'd recommend finding a temperature that you are comfortable in both day and night and then leaving it at that temperature on the thermostat. That's the most efficient way to use it. Trying to boost it or cranking up the temp daily is what's gonna cost you money.

Cracks unfortunately are unavoidable in the first year in these A rated houses because they dry out so quick. Just gonna need painting again around next spring or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Laurendon

Hi all - we are due to snag in the next week or so I'm just wondering from anyone who has snagged and moved in was there anything major to look out for? thanks

Keep a good eye on the plastering work, we'd a lot of walls that you could see the joins in from the different plastering sheets. Can be hard to see some of them as you need the light to be just right but they've had to come back to ours after we'd moved in to do some replastering and then repaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

So we finally got the keys a few days ago and to be honest I am petrified reading up on all the broadband horror stories. Not sure how quickly will my brain go into withdrawal without the Virgin fiber ;-(

On a side note, when I was on site on Tuesday morning I have noticed a huge puddle of water by the garden entrance. Anyone else with a sloped garden noticed anything similar? It definitely looks like a proper drain is missing and this could lead to flooding with Lorenzo being around the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bluegal123

Ive experienced similar issue with the heating yesterday. I am a real cold creature, so I had the downstairs thermostat set at 22 up until yesterday, with upstairs set to 15 because it didn't seem to need any heat, and was generally sitting at in or around 23 from the heat downstairs rising.
    But yesterday, about 4 ish I turned the thermostat downstairs up to 30, as I was cold. my logic being that if the system even tried to rise up to that temp but got 3 or 4 degrees below, that would be perfect.
    and I left it like that all night. the house was still cold when I went to bed, and it was cold this morning, temp on downstairs thermostat registered 21.7, even though I had bumped it up to 30 approx. 14 hours before?
    I understand these are energy efficient systems and the idea is that its always on via the thermostat to never heat from cold.
    But surely I shouldn't actually be cold in the house, and it shouldn't take more than 14 hours to heat by 8 degrees?
    I know im probably just not using the system correctly....am I missing something? any help greatly appreciated neighbours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bindiya

Hi,

We collected the keys for our home in Knightsgate Crescent a couple of days back. We had been checking with all the broadband service providers during the past couple of months about their availability in the area and no one seems to be available. How is everyone managing? Appreciate your guidance..

Thanks

Ive experienced similar issue with the heating yesterday. I am a real cold creature, so I had the downstairs thermostat set at 22 up until yesterday, with upstairs set to 15 because it didn't seem to need any heat, and was generally sitting at in or around 23 from the heat downstairs rising.
    But yesterday, about 4 ish I turned the thermostat downstairs up to 30, as I was cold. my logic being that if the system even tried to rise up to that temp but got 3 or 4 degrees below, that would be perfect.
    and I left it like that all night. the house was still cold when I went to bed, and it was cold this morning, temp on downstairs thermostat registered 21.7, even though I had bumped it up to 30 approx. 14 hours before?
    I understand these are energy efficient systems and the idea is that its always on via the thermostat to never heat from cold.
    But surely I shouldn't actually be cold in the house, and it shouldn't take more than 14 hours to heat by 8 degrees?
    I know im probably just not using the system correctly....am I missing something? any help greatly appreciated neighbours :)

There's something wrong there. Leaving it at 30 for 14 hours (is crazy!) but should have the house at an unbearable temperature and way above the 21 you are getting. Get onto the foreman and ask for one of the plumbers on site to look at your system. Have you bled your rads since you moved in? They will generally only get to mildly warm but you could have a bit of trapped air which won't help . The towel heaters in particular hold a lot of air in the system.

Again cranking up the heat full blast when you are cold isn't in the answer and will lead to hefty bills cold creature or not. When your system is working correctly pick a temp that you can comfortably stick to without having to adjust it daily.

That doesn't sound right. We had a few of our radiators bled and balanced yesterday by the on-site plumber. They seem to be better, but will give it a few days to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

Bindiya wrote: »
    Hi,

We collected the keys for our home in Knightsgate Crescent a couple of days back. We had been checking with all the broadband service providers during the past couple of months about their availability in the area and no one seems to be available. How is everyone managing? Appreciate your guidance..

Thanks

Some people have routers from 3. We bought an unlimited data sim from 3, E20 a month and put it in an old phone and hotspot off the 4G. Works well enough for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bluegal123

Thanks guys, I took your advice and the plumber came around, only to tell us that the heating system had been turned off in the hot press! and we hadn't touched that since we moved in so it could only have been the plumbers themselves weeks ago!
    glad I reached out now looking forward to my cosy home this eve!
    hopefully you notice a difference too with your rads being bled.

• Advertisement

Some people have routers from 3. We bought an unlimited data sim from 3, E20 a month and put it in an old phone and hotspot off the 4G. Works well enough for the moment.

Any idea if anyone has Vodafone or Virgin Media? I work from home and not sure if the router or sim will be able to support 8 hours work. ☹

No proper internet yet and won't be for a few months I reckon, the 3 router is alright. It's not fantastic and if your job involves sending large files I wouldn't trust it but it's fine for general MS Office type stuff.

Changing the setting to 3G only has helped mine be far more stable.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the houses are wired for security alarms?

Thanks

Yes they are, I believe three sensors are already cabled.

Bindiya wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the houses are wired for security alarms?

Thanks

Pretty sure it's a sensor in the hall, one on landing. No sensors at doors or windows. So its sparse enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 aurawindsurfing

Hi Guys!

Does anyone know the completion dates for Knights Avenue by any chance? How does it look from your experiances in the Crescent? Are we far off? It is bit scary to hear that some of you only now got snagging and keys in the Crescent...

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi Guys!

Does anyone know the completion dates for Knights Avenue by any chance? How does it look from your experiances in the Crescent? Are we far off? It is bit scary to hear that some of you only now got snagging and keys in the Crescent...

Thanks!

It is hard to say really, most of us were delayed by a few months. That is however mostly due to the fact that Irish Water did not connect the estate on time. I would say that second phase will be much easier and delay if any will be rather minimal - and I base this on absolutely nothing ;-)

We are in the Avenue and have been given a date of 14th - I would imagine it will be hopfully be one day that week :)

Good to know, hopefully when the Avenue are closed then it might make sense for Eir to come and lay the cable for internet for the estate

here's hoping !

Laurendon wrote: »
    We are in the Avenue and have been given a date of 14th - I would imagine it will be hopfully be one day that week :)

Do you mean 14th of October??? I guess you mean one of the Avenue houses that are "before" the temporary fence?

• Advertisement

Here is 4G speed test from Avenue, taken outside of buildings, today. I have to say this is more then enough for my needs. I vodafone is better then this then this is all you need.

IMG-C908-D58-C14-B5-1.jpg

Here is 4G speed test from Avenue, taken outside of buildings, today. I have to say this is more then enough for my needs. I vodafone is better then this then this is all you need.

IMG-C908-D58-C14-B5-1.jpg

Just careful with that vodafone wi-fi - it is a 24 month contract. If you end up getting one, post the test results please ;-)

I'm pretty happy with Three, just read above that there were some problems with it. Not sure how windows affect it as in new builds this seems to be the case sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 La.la.151515

Hi,

Can i ask, for anyone that installed a double oven in the kitchen and were left with a space, what did you do to fill it? We wanted to get a small unit made to fill the gap. Has anyone done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EMcKvr

Hi, we have just put down a deposit for a house on the Avenue, been told they will be ready end of October/start of November. From the messages in this thread I would think that will be delayed a month or two.
    If anyone could recommend a carpet layer that would be great? What sort of costs are we looking at to carpet stairs and landing?

I have seen someone in Crescent using this crowd: https://mcscarpets.ie
    There is also new showroom in Donabate/Turvey from Des Kelly - I used them before and was happy with the work they did.

Pricewise your are looking at 25e per sq m for a good quality bleechable carpet + 6e per sq m for nice and soft underlaying, similar to the one they use on carpets in show house.

Hi,

Can i ask, for anyone that installed a double oven in the kitchen and were left with a space, what did you do to fill it? We wanted to get a small unit made to fill the gap. Has anyone done this?

We had originally wanted to put in a small warming drawer but it's too small for that or anything practical really

EMcKvr wrote: »
    Hi, we have just put down a deposit for a house on the Avenue, been told they will be ready end of October/start of November. From the messages in this thread I would think that will be delayed a month or two.
    If anyone could recommend a carpet layer that would be great? What sort of costs are we looking at to carpet stairs and landing?

I would also recommend MCS floors, I have been dealing with John and the entire process has been smooth. Judging from the amount of MCS vans I have seen on the Crescent in past weeks I am not alone ;-)
    They have a location in Swords and the prices you get are per square meter installed + they guarantee installation within 5 days from making the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 La.la.151515

We had originally wanted to put in a small warming drawer but it's too small for that or anything practical really

Do you mind me asking Brian what did you decide to do?

Have just left it as a little shelf really, nothing there at the moment but I'm sure nonsense junk mail will find its way there in time.

• Advertisement

Are people doing anything with their lawns? ours is quite patchy and water is sitting on it. Might be best to wait until spring at this stage?

Are people doing anything with their lawns? ours is quite patchy and water is sitting on it. Might be best to wait until spring at this stage?

I've planted a couple bags of seeds on Saturday in a desperate bid to stop my lawn looking like a rice paddy...

It is more than just aesthetics, my lawn is sloped towards the house so all the water ends up by the back door.

...worse case scenario I can feel good about feeding all the local birds...

tkrysiak wrote: »
    I've planted a couple bags of seeds on Saturday in a desperate bid to stop my lawn looking like a rice paddy...

It is more than just aesthetics, my lawn is sloped towards the house so all the water ends up by the back door.

...worse case scenario I can feel good about feeding all the local birds...

With ours, there are patches but i think uor biggest issue is the water is not draining which I think is from the compacted soil - from builders and machinery - so prob needs to be rotavated or something.

It's sloped to the house? Are you on a slope or did they just not make it level?

With ours, there are patches but i think uor biggest issue is the water is not draining which I think is from the compacted soil - from builders and machinery - so prob needs to be rotavated or something.

It's sloped to the house? Are you on a slope or did they just not make it level?

It is sloped for all my neighbors and everyone in that row on the Crescent seem to be having an issue. Apparently they are supposed to be installing drains for us to resolve the issue.

As for the water not draining you are correct, I was talking to a local friend of mine and he said it could also be an issue with ground water level being fairly high around here and the area being saturated. I guess we will soon find out if that is the case...

Can any of you guys reccomend a good snagger that you have used? Thanks!

Can any of you guys reccomend a good snagger that you have used? Thanks!

PM sent

Cheers!

Hi All - we wer suppose to snag this week but there is a delay with ESB from pervious experience does anyone have time frame how long they were pushed out ?

I was told that ESB is on site this week. I hope you get your notice next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 EMcKvr

Hi all, thanks for your replies above.
    Looks like the avenue is progessing at a good pace, contracts have been issued so we hope to be in before Christmas, am I being to optimistic?
    Has the internet connection situation been resolved?
    Were the gardens seeded or was the grass roll out lawn?

Advertisement