Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average dublin docklands tenants salary.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Addle wrote: »
    Well I'm a public sector employee so that kind of money is alien to me!

I’m a civil servant and it’s not alien to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

fxotoole wrote: »
    I’m a civil servant and it’s not alien to me

Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am not getting the outrage either.
    I work in the ifsc a few days a week and plenty of people I work with also live there. They earn good money and are happy to live close to work in the city centre for a few years until they settle down. There are a few who live down the country and rent one of those one beds to stay in 4 nights a work week.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stheno wrote: »
    IT, Finance, tax and Treasury

The tax savings for being based there are worth far more to the companies at a corporate level

There are no longer any tax breaks for companies in the docks. That was done away with in the early noughties, when the EU were threatening a State Aid challenge. More importantly for Ireland though was it forced them to reduce the general corporation tax rate to 12.5%

There's certainly nothing "magic" about the docklands any more, other than high prices. We decided we would have our own HQ in north Dublin, with ease of access to the airport and relatively cheap accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Just to clarify, I don’t actually earn that kind of money. But I acknowledge that there are those out there on that kind of money in the private sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

People making this money are usually people with very specialized skills that are sought after, these are not your average retail staff or customer support agent. If you're somewhat specialized in IT companies will pay what you ask because if they don't, someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wipe my ass with €117,095.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well I'm a public sector employee so that kind of money is alien to me!

I've a friend applying to one of the companies in that area. They are early 30s

Currently based abroad on 140k with benefits and a bonus of 20 percent each year based on p performance. If they get the job here they expect a pay rise and will get relocation assistance including three months paid accommodation.

Its very common.

The irony is that if you work in the area most everyone wears jeans as dress codes are casual or non existent so not what you'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

KungPao wrote: »
    I wipe my ass with €117,095.

Would you wipe mine as well?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Beasty wrote: »
    There are no longer any tax breaks for companies in the docks. That was done away with in the early noughties, when the EU were threatening a State Aid challenge. More importantly for Ireland though was it forced them to reduce the general corporation tax rate to 12.5%

There's certainly nothing "magic" about the docklands any more, other than high prices. We decided we would have our own HQ in north Dublin, with ease of access to the airport and relatively cheap accommodation

I wasnt specifically talking about the old situation rather the generous tax savings in moving to Ireland to be honest

For some reason the Docklands appears to be one of the locations du jour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

People making this money are usually people with very specialized skills that are sought after, these are not your average retail staff or customer support agent. If you're somewhat specialized in IT companies will pay what you ask because if they don't, someone else will.

Any reasonably busy plumber or electrician would probably make those kind of figures I'd imagine.
    They have their official income and the little cash in hand jobs however so it's hard to know how much they actually make.

Given the shortage of talent at the moment a lot of the trades are no doubt bathing on cash.

The headline says 'tenant'.

Maybe I'm just clueless, but I wouldn't have thought there were that many people/professions in this country on that kind of money, so it was a shock to me.
    A shock that you could be on that kind of money and renting too.

Oh and another point something like less than 10% of paye earners pay over 90% of total paye in this country

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wasnt specifically talking about the old situation rather the generous tax savings in moving to Ireland to be honest

For some reason the Docklands appears to be one of the locations du jour
    Modern buildings, and a bit of a "hub" created around there

We looked at something around there when we set up in Ireland, and if you are looking to recruit the "up and coming" city dwellers it's a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to some other locations

On the topic of affordability though, the article suggests these flats are going for over €500k. Someone earning 120k could get a mortgage of what? Maybe €300k to €350k. That's still a hell of a deposit to fund for a first time buyer. Equally those who do rent in say their 20s are probably thinking of moving on when they start a family, so could base themselves there for a few years while saving up for a deposit for something in the commuter belt with a bit of a garden

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kneemos wrote: »
    Any reasonably busy plumber or electrician would probably make those kind of figures I'd imagine.
    They have their official income and the little cash in hand jobs however so it's hard to know how much they actually make.

Given the shortage of talent at the moment a lot of the trades are no doubt bathing on cash.

Well.... That's a bit of a stretch. You'd have to be working your ballax off and all sorts of weekend callouts to pull that money in. Or else multi jobs with lads under you.

Most good plumbers or electricians are not pulling in that sort of money.

We looked at something around there when we set up in Ireland, and if you are looking to recruit the "up and coming" city dwellers it's a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to some other locations

On the topic of affordability though, the article suggests these flats are going for over €500k. Someone earning 120k could get a mortgage of what? Maybe €300k to €350k. That's still a hell of a deposit to fund for a first time buyer. Equally those who do rent in say their 20s are probably thinking of moving on when they start a family, so could base themselves there for a few years while saving up for a deposit for something in the commuter belt with a bit of a garden

It's a weird area and seems to have services primarily to support the offices e.g. the pharmacy opens at 8 am during the week but is closed Sunday's.

LOTS of services are a trek away too and the local roads are narrow and constantly congested

Give me NCD any day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

listermint wrote: »
    Well.... That's a bit of a stretch. You'd have to be working your ballax off and all sorts of weekend callouts to pull that money in. Or else multi jobs with lads under you.

Most good plumbers or electricians are not pulling in that sort of money.

Call out a plumber and it's a hundred quid at least for any kind of little job.
    Four or five of those per day and they're in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Zardoz wrote: »
    Hmmm, how does an estate agent know how much someone is earning when renting?

They turn them upside down and see what falls out of their pockets.

They turn them upside down and see what falls out of their pockets.

They might not use cash?

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a weird area and seems to have services primarily to support the offices e.g. the pharmacy opens at 8 am during the week but is closed Sunday's.

LOTS of services are a trek away too and the local roads are narrow and constantly congested

Give me NCD any day
    It's right beside the LUAS (and green line just round the corner too), you wouldn't even need a car if you lived and worked there. Commute cost is probably close to zero. Living right in the city centre, it's like a young professionals' dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sounds like we need another crash. Can't be having people on that kind of wage, making me feel bad about my own income.

awec wrote: »
    It's right beside the LUAS (and green line just round the corner too), you wouldn't even need a car if you lived and worked there. Commute cost is probably close to zero. Living right in the city centre, it's like a young professionals' dream.

I work in the area. The transport links are superb compared to most other locations.

However the facilities are crap close by imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,671 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Three quarters of them don't need to worry about deposits or mortgages. Cash buyers.

The average asking price was €531,595 and the average selling price ended around 2.3 per cent higher. While build-to-rent is taking off in the area, 47 per cent of buyers last year were owner occupiers while cash was used to buy in three quarters of the transactions. The majority of sellers were landlords leaving the market, Mr Reilly said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

My best mate is a plumber, I did his books for him in 2017 and he put 125k through them, you can be sure there was at least another 50k not going through them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The headline says 'tenant'.

Maybe I'm just clueless, but I wouldn't have thought there were that many people/professions in this country on that kind of money, so it was a shock to me.
    A shock that you could be on that kind of money and renting too.

Many would be immigrants.

italodisco wrote: »
    My best mate is a plumber, I did his books for him in 2017 and he put 125k through them, you can be sure there was at least another 50k not going through them.

Why didn't he get you to do his books after and before ...

I've a friend applying to one of the companies in that area. They are early 30s

Currently based abroad on 140k with benefits and a bonus of 20 percent each year based on p performance. If they get the job here they expect a pay rise and will get relocation assistance including three months paid accommodation.

Its very common.

The irony is that if you work in the area most everyone wears jeans as dress codes are casual or non existent so not what you'd expect

There’s a lot of suits in the IFSC area. Around GCD not so much.

awec wrote: »

It’s dead enough at night but ok during the day.

So basically what I said. They'd have to work their ballax off and weekends too.

Your making it out like they're are making handy money off over charging callouts.

Which is basically... Waffle.

And I'm qualified as neither trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

listermint wrote: »
    Why didn't he get you to do his books after and before ...

Hmmmmmmmm

Advertisement