Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 2.17 marathon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

jamule wrote: »
    He says on sttrava he went the wrong way. Not sure where or for how long, strava has the distance at 42.5

The 3 leaders in the half went the wrong way about a mile out for few seconds to, followed a tv truck at a turn off instead of running straight on. Possibly cost Yimer the win in the half to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

$hit, not too shabby. I had him down as a small bit of a bluffer! Apologies to the man. 2.14.34. Well done, sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Itziger wrote: »
    $hit, not too shabby. I had him down as a small bit of a bluffer! Apologies to the man. 2.14.34. Well done, sir.

Not having a go but how did you have him as a bluffer?

Last year he ran 13:50 for 5k, 28:36 for 10k. 63:17 for the half
    and 2:15:55 in 24°C temps in London. He's got the same kind of wheels as Kenneally had.

TIhis was coming and I think he's got the ability to go faster dare I say even sneak into the 2:12's in a perfect race. He's only 30 right now and has years ahead of him all going well.

I wonder will he run Worlds this year? Conditions will be brutal in Doha but he's got a time set now that's going to be hard to beat by one other Irish guy nevermind 3. The new ranking system could make a balls of this though if it goes ahead as nobody has a clue how it works yet which is a shambles with only with only over a year and a half to go and the window probably open already in that regard.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Not having a go but how did you have him as a bluffer?

Last year he ran 13:50 for 5k, 28:36 for 10k. 63:17 for the half
    and 2:15:55 in 24°C temps in London. He's got the same kind of wheels as Kenneally had.

TIhis was coming and I think he's got the ability to go faster dare I say even sneak into the 2:12's in a perfect race. He's only 30 right now and has years ahead of him all going well.

I wonder will he run Worlds this year? Conditions will be brutal in Doha but he's got a time set now that's going to be hard to beat by one other Irish guy nevermind 3. The new ranking system could make a balls of this though if it goes ahead as nobody has a clue how it works yet which is a shambles with only with only over a year and a half to go and the window probably open already in that regard.

Horseman, I was going on very little. I haven't been following the guy in any detail really, certainly not as well up as yourself. I just read an article posted here and picked up on the weight ( I know the guy is naturally heavier than most elites) and then there was the mention of being 'very hungover' on a few occasions. The last bit was how he was talking of pulling the plug on Houston cos of predicted temps or winds or whatever.

Had me thinking he was just an extremely talented bull$hitter who would never really get the times people were talking about. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong and I'd be delighted for the guy if he could take things a step or two further and get into 2.12 territory. It's been too long since we had a real marathon talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

He's fairly confident he can sub 2:10.

A few years yet before he peaks too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Latest podcast has his rebuttal to Jerry Kiernan's criticism of him for running the 10k instead of the marathon at the Euro champs, interesting - worth a listen. Essentially says he did what was best for HIM and his long term marathon training plan, and a successful 10k was part of that larger buildup.

I love the podcasts but have begun to find them a bit disjointed recently, sometimes there's a clear lack of preparation which is annoying. still love listening but think quality over quantity would be better. #AskSkullFriday is brilliant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I see he's definitely aiming to toe the start line in London. Would be very interesting to see how he & Mick Clohisey stack up against each other there if SS get's an elite entry. No more than Scullion, I think that Clohisey can still find a good bit more as regards his marathon PB. 'Twould be interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

I think you may be a few episodes back. He has no plans to do London and has no goal race set as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

healy1835 wrote: »
    I see he's definitely aiming to toe the start line in London. Would be very interesting to see how he & Mick Clohisey stack up against each other there if SS get's an elite entry. No more than Scullion, I think that Clohisey can still find a good bit more as regards his marathon PB. 'Twould be interesting.....
    Is Clohisey full time? Am I right thinking Scullion is a professional runner? I've massive respect for the likes of Hehir, etc who has a 9 to 5 and is at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

healy1835 wrote: »

I thought he knocked London on the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Is Clohisey full time? Am I right thinking Scullion is a professional runner? I've massive respect for the likes of Hehir, etc who has a 9 to 5 and is at that level.

Clohisey is full time. Scullion is a web designer who moved to flagstaf. He is moving professional soon. Gets some funding from Dublin marathon and athletics Northern Ireland but not much. Sponsorship with underarmour is in the pipe line. Hehir is a primary teacher

Some going alright. A bit off topic but some of the best Irish athletes ever had were amateurs for most of their careers. Any sort of state funding was illegal up until the 70's and race prize money didn't exist until the late 70's, early 80's. Any outside sponsorship was strictly forbidden until the 80's.

When Neil Cusack won the Boston Marathon in 1974, he recieved no money but the major marathon crowds were known to shove their own personal money into athletes bags as they passed by and being an Irishman winning Boston, I heard Cusack got a nice bag of green that day. John Treacy won the World XC twice while an amateur. If you look at the national records on the track and road, Many are still held by athletes who were amateur for all of or the majority of their prime running days.

1500- Ray Flynn(3:33)
    Mile- Ray Flynn(3:49)
    2000- Eamonn Coghlan(4:54)
    10k Road- John Treacy(27:46)
    Marathon- John Treacy (2:09:15a)(2:11:23)

In the early 70's, a breakaway body from the amateur code sprung up called the International track association and many athletes went pro with them but it disqualified them from running in the Olympics and it quickly went bust as athletes who stayed amateur could still run the Olympics and were actually making more from illegal backhanders than the pros were making. None of them were making much though and most athletes world class or not were working regular jobs and were blue collar hero's of the fans. Even going back to 90's, you had guy's like John Downes working on a building site while knocking out a 13:29 5k, serious going to be able to maintain a regular job and run times like those.

I think you may be a few episodes back. He has no plans to do London and has no goal race set as of yet
    I thought he knocked London on the head?

Nope, episode this morning. If he get's an elite entry he's in. The coach/agent is trying to sort it out.

Yeah, also it's worth considering that Sean Hehir took 6 months of a career break and went overseas to train to try and qualify for the last Olympics as far as I'm aware. You gotta respect a guy like that....was hoping it would work out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Flynnboslice

Clohisey is full time. Scullion is a web designer who moved to flagstaf. He is moving professional soon. Gets some funding from Dublin marathon and athletics Northern Ireland but not much. Sponsorship with underarmour is in the pipe line. Hehir is a primary teacher

Professional - Contracted to run on a set wage/salary

Full Time - Pursues running without a primary source of income

Both in the same boat.

For those who respect the lads who run with a full time job it is worth looking at the other side of the coin. Those who don't have the financial stability often have to make decisions not made by what's best for them but what can support them in pursuing there goal.

Also comparisons between 70s runners and now don't take into account the dramatic increase in cost of living these days those sports grants would barely cover rent nevermind anything else.

Professional - Contracted to run on a set wage/salary

Full Time - Pursues running without a primary source of income

Both in the same boat.

For those who respect the lads who run with a full time job it is worth looking at the other side of the coin. Those who don't have the financial stability often have to make decisions not made by what's best for them but what can support them in pursuing there goal.

Also comparisons between 70s runners and now don't take into account the dramatic increase in cost of living these days those sports grants would barely cover rent nevermind anything else.

I don't think anyone was disrespecting the pro's, that's a big step to make from quitting a job and taking a chance to put yourself in a spot to improve as best you can which is the goal of every runner. If the guys back in the 70's had that choice, they'd have done the same thing of course.

But that doesn't take away my respect and some of stories you hear about the old amateur days. the cost of living is tied to wages which increased dramatically too in inflation. The cost of living today is just as relatively expensive now as was back then. The only difference is the numbers changed as money was harder to come by back then. They didn't have a grant to even cover rent.

It's not an attack on anyone amateur or professional, times change is all and it's good for the sport and athletes that they have, it would be even better if it improved more.

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was disrespecting the pro's, that's a big step to make from quitting a job and taking a chance to put yourself in a spot to improve as best you can which is the goal of every runner. If the guys back in the 70's had that choice, they'd have done the same thing of course.

But that doesn't take away my respect and some of stories you hear about the old amateur days. the cost of living is tied to wages which increased dramatically too in inflation. The cost of living today is just as relatively expensive now as was back then. The only difference is the numbers changed as money was harder to come by back then. They didn't have a grant to even cover rent.

It's not an attack on anyone amateur or professional, times change is all and it's good for the sport and athletes that they have, it would be even better if it improved more.

Or maybe they could become Pro Football players and earn 400 grand a week. Jesus wept. 400 thousand a week. How did this happen?

Advertisement