Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 5 : Monaco GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For the way he crashed the outcome he had was close to as bad as it could be. IF one were doing that deliberately one would expect to run straight on and only really damage the front.

There's no damning evidence but on balance it looks deliberate to me.

Latifi had the same incident in FP3 by turning a fraction early at that same corner, clipping the barrier and wrecking his car. Was that deliberate too?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There has always been an underbelly around here to undermine LeClerc and question if he's good enough.

Think anyone suggesting he did this on purpose is mad. There are so many other ways he could have done this without damaging his car and risking a gearbox change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres far easier ways to get the session red flagged than doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The fact that the discussion as to whether it was deliberate is even happening is utterly ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cracking qualy.

It gives you hope for the race...but let's be real here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari said they will make a decision about Leclerc's gearbox tomorrow, but it has no serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Ferrari said they will make a decision about Leclerc's gearbox tomorrow, but it has no serious damage.

If they think there's no damage then they have to stick with it, if he takes a 5 place grid penalty he has no chance of winning.

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Which would indicate there's some damage. Probably a choice between putting in a new gearbox, taking the 5 place grid penalty but having virtually no chance of winning versus driving with the gearbox as is from pole and hoping it doesn't fail during the race. I'd risk it if I was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

If they change the gearbox and gets the penalty... does Max then officially finish pole or does ferrari keep the pole stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Guffy wrote: »
    If they change the gearbox and gets the penalty... does Max then officially finish pole or does ferrari keep the pole stat?

Yup. It happened in 2012 with Schumacher. Webber got the pole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'll say it again but Ted is a giant plonker. Apart from his punch-able face he really loves trying to stir up and make drama.

Yeah, he couldn't leave it alone. Actually made me like toto a bit more that he publicly rubbished any thoughts of it being done intentionally. He could have easily dodged the question and left it all open for media to keep suggesting it. Fair play toto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What did Toto say?

What did Toto say?

That it would be silly to have such an impact like that intentionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Even Nico told Ted to stop just before qualifing as he (Ted) seem to look for an accident to throw a spanner into qualifing. As the years go on he has be come more and more of a Tabloid rag journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Joeface wrote: »
    Even Nico told Ted to stop just before qualifing as he (Ted) seem to look for an accident to throw a spanner into qualifing. As the years go on he has be come more and more of a Tabloid rag journalist.

Nico is terrific. Lazenby made a smart remark at some stage and Nico straight up said 'that's not funny'. More Nico either on commentary or as a presenter would be great as he's always bang on with his insights and doesn't tolerate the tabloid crap banter that many of the sky crew are guilty of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think it was a deliberate act by LeClerc to cause the crash rather than his own error. He is skillful and experienced enough to be able to engineer an impact that would cause no damage to the gearbox. He knows this track better than anyone else. Kravitz is only giving voice to what the rest of the paddock is thinking. Even Sainz, his own team mate, clearly had suspicions judging by his comments and body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

chicorytip wrote: »
    I think it was a deliberate act by LeClerc to cause the crash rather than his own error. He is skillful and experienced enough to be able to engineer an impact that would cause no damage to the gearbox. He knows this track better than anyone else. Kravitz is only giving voice to what the rest of the paddock is thinking. Even Sainz, his own team mate, clearly had suspicions judging by his comments and body language.

Someone should check on Leclerc simulator if he practiced to crash without damaging gearbox/engine.

Btw this whole garbage was started by Crofty with his statement Charles might be on pole if he doesn't get a gearbox penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Just caught up now. No way did he do it intentionally IMO but I was a bit surprised by the celebratory reaction afterward from Ferrari and Charles. I understand it’s his home GP so a huge achievement but thought he would be more downbeat having damaged the car quite significantly.

I hope for him he does start on pole, but either way a cracking session and a great lineup in top-10.

Hope there’s some action of some sort tomorrow!

PS. +1 for the Rosberg commentary, really enjoyed his inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

So skillful that he can hit a barrier, break the steering rod, go across track, smack the front of the car, followed by a lesser bang to the rear, just enough to not damage the gearbox, to get pole.
    Yet not skillful enough to finish a Monaco GP yet?

So skillful that he can hit a barrier, break the steering rod, go across track, smack the front of the car, followed by a lesser bang to the rear, just enough to not damage the gearbox, to get pole.
    Yet not skillful enough to finish a Monaco GP yet?

The damage he got was about as bad as you'd expect from that kind of accident. Most of the time hitting the inside barrier like that would just mean front-end damage.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

I don't think it was but what a lap he put in.

Almost sub 1:10 and nearly a lap record, which I thought would be impossible as cars are clearly slower than last year and 2019

The damage he got was about as bad as you'd expect from that kind of accident. Most of the time hitting the inside barrier like that would just mean front-end damage.

Most of the time.
    But to say it was intentional is a bit much. There is other places he could have dumped it if he was skillful enough.
    It's convenient, yes. Intentional due to his skill, no.

mikeorange wrote: »
    I don't think it was but what a lap he put in.

Almost sub 1:10 and nearly a lap record, which I thought would be impossible as cars are clearly slower than last year and 2019

He said on channel 4 this weekend is a once off. Leaves it very interesting for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah lads, come on.
    It looked like the kind of accident that happens every year in Monaco. Latifi did it yesterday. Verstappen did it in quali a few years ago. It happens.

But where did the notion that it could have damaged the gearbox come form? He didn't hit the barrier at very high speed and didn't hit the back end much at all. Sounds like total made up, click-bait guff to me and Ferrari said it's no bother to the gearbox.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah lads, come on.
    It looked like the kind of accident that happens every year in Monaco. Latifi did it yesterday. Verstappen did it in quali a few years ago. It happens.

But where did the notion that it could have damaged the gearbox come form? He didn't hit the barrier at very high speed and didn't hit the back end much at all. Sounds like total made up, click-bait guff to me and Ferrari said it's no bother to the gearbox.

I think the concern for the gearbox comes in due to a close (and quite exposed) proximity to the rear suspension.

I don't know the full ins and outs of the car though and that was something that was suggested to me. Happy to be corrected on that.

Ya need to smash your rear axle or have direct impact to the gearbox to cause a real problem.

Ya need to smash your rear axle or have direct impact to the gearbox to cause a real problem.

Roseberg had asked leclerc if what he heard was true in that the drive shaft popped out but leclerc had no info.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Can a thread be opened in the conspiracy theory forum on this. The Ferrari performed better than it did in 2 years. Why would he put it through a rebuild and risk a lesser set up for tomorrow. He's really an exceptional driver if he can calculate the damage from a deliberate crash and know he'll hold a position.

The car is ok. The conspiracy theorists will be going into overdrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

namloc1980 wrote: »

The car is ok. The conspiracy theorists will be going into overdrive.
    Glad to hear he's starting on pole. Some of those conspiracy theories on social media are both ridiculous and downright scurrilous

Advertisement