Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely morning out there, 85km round NCD. weirdly, the R132 just a few hundred metres south of whites agri is flooded. is this a new thing? i haven't been on that road in months.

also, is it just me, or are there far more women out on bikes now than there used to be? i guess its to be expected after the way bike sales went in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's nice but found it a bit nippier than yesterday.
    Got in an hour there.
    Plenty dopey drivers about.
    Dopey rather than pushy.

Can't beat an hour in the sun all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

37km at 28kph, was cool setting off, but quickly warmed up. Shorts and light short sleeved jersey.
    Blanch, clonee, across to Lucan and home again.

Feckin bearing bust, now outer edge is stuck in wheel, could be a while before I get out again grrrrrr

https://strava.app.link/E4loVYtlKfb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Plenty dopey drivers about.
    Dopey rather than pushy.
    only had once incident today, out at man'o'war; coming towards me, a motorist decided to overtake two cyclists (who'd already indicated they were taking a left 20m in front of them, so completely pointless anyway) leaving me with i guess 1.5 to 2m between him and the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... weirdly, the R132 just a few hundred metres south of whites agri is flooded. is this a new thing?....
    Over-spill from crop irrigation? Very common around Rush.

• Advertisement

i don't think the topsoil in the field was wet, i assume a blocked drain but was wondering was it brand new or was that known for it there. first time i'd seen it, but i've only been on that road maybe 20 times at a rough guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

I took my new Zonda's out to try on the hills today. Unfortunately I got the call half way through saying the nipper had a fever and to come home. By the time I got home she was grand. So overall I only got 40k in and about 600m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Best cycle of the year so far for me Dublin-Enniskerry-Crone wood road-Glencree-Dublin, somewhere in the 60-65KM range. Weather was near perfect, picked today over yesterday as it looked like there would be a bit more cloud cover.

Its a great run of weather, I dont think I have missed a weekend since Feb or early March

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

only had once incident today, out at man'o'war; coming towards me, a motorist decided to overtake two cyclists (who'd already indicated they were taking a left 20m in front of them, so completely pointless anyway) leaving me with i guess 1.5 to 2m between him and the side of the road.

Ah I had a few dopes. All slow sleepy ones.
    At one stage a yaris gave me about 2 foot of space in traffic. I gave a roar.
    Passed them at the next lights have a WTF look. Both of them staring straight ahead.
    Then sat behind me for what felt like 5 mins after the next light. Waved as they overtook only to go straight into more traffic. Had to then overtake me a 3rd time

An obvious left hook. He had the left hand indicator on as he overtook???

Real Sunday driver stuff.
    I was out for an easy spin so was just laughing at the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sunday afternoon isnt great trafficwise, I need to get out earlier. What is the cycling etiquette?, I never go two abreast until I am well into country roads. Had the same thing today 2 cyclists 2 abreast as happy as larry coming from Enniskerry before you get to the petrol station, leaving a car to have to pass them on my side of the road, my impression was that the cyclists were being a little selfish given the nature of the road with bends and the like

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Let's not turn this into one of them threads, but on a road with loads of bends and such like that one to enniskerry, it's probably safer that way. You have to give as much room to the 2 as you do the 1, but people see the 1 and think they can squeeze by. The car should have to pass them on your side anyway, they shouldn't be doing it while you're there though. That's not their fault, that's the driver's fault. They're not forced to overtake at that moment.

Now let that be the end of the chat, as it's a beacon to those who like to advise us all to wear high vis, helmets, get tax etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Ah I had a few dopes. All slow sleepy ones.
    At one stage a yaris gave me about 2 foot of space in traffic. I gave a roar.
    Passed them at the next lights have a WTF look. Both of them staring straight ahead.
    Then sat behind me for what felt like 5 mins after the next light. Waved as they overtook only to go straight into more traffic. Had to then overtake me a 3rd time.

What did you do when they waved at you and/or when you caught up with them after they had waved at you? They sound like cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

Did a lovely 40k spin today with the kids and herself. Slow and steady but the weather was spectacular and got them down roads they had never seen before.

On a day like that you'd never want to go abroad.

We will see how they sleep tonight....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Borders of Dublin again (4th time) in good weather apart from the stiff north-easterly wind. I decided to do the mountains first so started in Blackrock and got through Dun Laoghaire with only the dry-robe gangs for company. I saw more cyclists than cars as far as the Garda checkpoint in Brittas. After that it was a slog up the west of the county into the wind. I needed a food stop in Lusk before flying the last 50km home. Traffic in Howth was mental at 17:30 I was glad to be on the bike rather than stuck in a car. https://strava.app.link/e62dnxsDKfb

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    What did you do when they waved at you and/or when you caught up with them after they had waved at you? They sound like cowards

Did nothing. Not getting annoyed on a sunny Sunday.
    Ah as Weepsie said we'll leave such chat for other threads. #theydontevenpayroadtax #hivizstopstrucks #tag

I did just over 100km. I did the Tipperary Cycle route 1. Appears on no map or website. There are those blue and white signs. Some are missing some point wrong way. Kilkenny has 3 such routes that you can download maps for.
    In Tipp they did one with signs and walked away. It's nice but goes on some very small roads with bad surfacing.

Loop is 70km and 15km each way to and from loop from me gaff.

Fratello wrote: »
    I did just over 100km. I did the Tipperary Cycle route 1. Appears on no map or website. There are those blue and white signs. Some are missing some point wrong way. Kilkenny has 3 such routes that you can download maps for.
    In Tipp they did one with signs and walked away. It's nice but goes on some very small roads with bad surfacing.

Loop is 70km and 15km each way to and from loop from me gaff.

Where's it take you?

Started Ballypartick: up towards Kilcash, right to Kilkash castle,
    Ballyneil, Carrick on Suir, Faugheen, Ahenny, middle of nowhere, Grangemockler, middle of nowhere, near basket maker, Cloneen,
    middle of nowhere, Fethard, Killusty, Ballypatrick.

PM me if you want my Strava link if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ballyneil, Carrick on Suir, Faugheen, Ahenny, middle of nowhere, Grangemockler, middle of nowhere, near basket maker, Cloneen,

Some nice roads & climbs in there.

Ah I know the region. Did a lot of touring around there for work. Plenty quiet roads and climbing.

Enjoyable day I'd say!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had to visit Dunshaughlin Garda Station (to report a recent dangerous overtake) so took the opportunity of a trip up to Tara.
    Managed to complete my first 100km of the year (106km @ 28.3km/h with 556m). Lovely weather - it was cool before I left so in the end I went with a long sleeved jersey. Predictably I ended up far too warm :rolleyes: (but at least my OH won't be nagging me about my sunburnt arms again)
    Struggled over the last 20km or so but got there in the end. Absolutley knackered now though!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5196331534

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Did a few longer and hillier runs last week and then rested over the weekend - went out for a quick suburban run today - N11 and Rock Road loop from town with the usual traffic lights, etc, but felt good.

I managed 164m ascent over 29.3km in 58:50mins for an average of 29.8km/h and an estimated output of 160w - happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Had to visit Dunshaughlin Garda Station (to report a recent dangerous overtake) so took the opportunity of a trip up to Tara.
    Managed to complete my first 100km of the year (106km @ 28.3km/h with 556m). Lovely weather - it was cool before I left so in the end I went with a long sleeved jersey. Predictably I ended up far too warm :rolleyes: (but at least my OH won't be nagging me about my sunburnt arms again)
    Struggled over the last 20km or so but got there in the end. Absolutley knackered now though!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5196331534

Hope you Brought a loaf of bread, tub of peanut butter, pack of jaffa cakes, 6 pack of lucazade , 6 gels and a macaroon bar just in case :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

secman wrote: »
    Hope you Brough a loaf of bread, tub of peanut butter, pack of jaffa cakes, 6 pack of lucazade , 6 gels and a macaroon bar just in case :)
    Two bananas and always have an energy bar in my bike keg.
    Needed something to eat (lunch) and set my mind on getting a coffee and a bun in Kilcock. The usual cafes were closed apart from Costa (ugh) and in the end went to a petrol station and got a crap coffee and a crap mayo wrap (labelled as a Caesar wrap with Smokey bacon). Got a bottle of water also which was gone swiftly. Maybe I should have gone to Costa :rolleyes:
    Had to pull into Celbridge GAA to get more water 30 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Was stuck for time this evening but really wanted to get out because the weather from tomorrow on looks brutal! Decided to do some 5-7 min intervals. A cynical person would say I lined these up with some local KOM's.....and they'd be right :pac:

30.71km with 109m up @ 30.3km/h

But most importantly 2 KOM crowns and a second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

104km down the coast of Wicklow @27.4kmh with 1.2km up. Glorious morning and great to see some normality in the golf courses again, all of which were packed. Now if they'd just open the public jacks in the likes of Brittas Bay car park I'll drop down that way again. Really enjoyable though

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

Tore out the door from work and got out for 46km in. Headed towards higher ground and manager to find 650m of climbing.

Starting to push up the rankings on some of the climbs, a handful of top 5 so I might set a KOM goal to keep it interesting.

Spectacular day for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice on and off road spin yesterday up Cruagh, into the woods, back out onto the featherbeds for a bit more off road, and back via Stocking lane. 26k with 600m of up and lots of gravel. Loving the 32c Gravelkings as a mixed use tyre in the dry weather, I suspect this will lessen once the skies open up again. Work and family stuff keeping me off the bike a lot a present, so just sneaking out when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hi would you have that route, I've seen those signs quite a bit and thought it must be a decent route. I could never find anything with Google about it

I've a fair bit of exploring done around there but never got around to mapping it

551567.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35852108

This I'm pretty sure is the marked route. Pretty good route whoever mapped it.

Not as good as this though if you are not afraid of iffy surfaces

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35852050

551597.jpg

551598.jpg

551599.jpg

Advertisement