Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What tv character freaked you out as a kid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

The trap door, the theme tune made me uncomfortable. And of course wurzel was terrifying. Didn't really appreciate the thunder noise at the start of count duckula or whatever he was called!

I loved all the wee marla squigley things came out of the trapdoor. The rest was freaky and terrifiying. Ah cant believe you didn't like the Duckula theme though, "There's not a vampire zanier than Duckula, count Duckula"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Klim wrote: »
    I loved all the wee marla squigley things came out of the trapdoor. The rest was freaky and terrifiying. Ah cant believe you didn't like the Duckula theme though, "There's not a vampire zanier than Duckula, count Duckula"

i know! It was frightening, but i did like the cartoon itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

dont know if this counts but the witches in roald dahls witches scared the crap outta me when i was a kid.

when they were in the hotel conference room and some were changing into witches I had to cover my eyes to be honest!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

also in the charlie and the chocolate factory the original film when wonka takes them on the boat ride in the chocolate river in the tunnel, that freaked me out big time i remember too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

dont know if this counts but the witches in roald dahls witches scared the crap outta me when i was a kid.

when they were in the hotel conference room and some were changing into witches I had to cover my eyes to be honest!!:D

yes! Forgot bout them, they were too feckin scary! And then when they're chasing the mouse/child, good jesus, heartstopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

I hope you're happy. There goes a fifteen year old supressed memory. God love the next old lady I see scratching her scalp!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I cant really remember the name of the show that freaked me, but it was an RTE made show with puppets, it used to be on on Saturday mornings in the late 80's / early 90's, the mormons or something like that. All the puppets freaked me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I cant really remember the name of the show that freaked me, but it was an RTE made show with puppets, it used to be on on Saturday mornings in the late 80's / early 90's, the mormons or something like that. All the puppets freaked me!

Obviously so terrifying for you that your mind has created a mental block. May i suggest hypnosis. You can also get counselling. Back in the day of RTE's depravity many were effected in the way you were. Good luck and may the fraggles from the rock be with you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Was it the Morbegs?

200px-Noah%27s_Island_Ep_10_-_How_To_Be_A_Bear_024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Rimini Riddle used to freak me out, and no-one remembers it! Behold...

Leo-Rimini-Riddle_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rimini-Riddle-TV-puppets_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The aliens from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Also, the bit where the toddler is pulled out the dogflap in the house at night....I was about 6 when I saw that first. Made a bad impression!

Wurzal Gummatch as some others have said. Podge from The Den was a creepy frog eyed bast*rd, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

WindSock wrote: »
    Was it the Morbegs?

200px-Noah%27s_Island_Ep_10_-_How_To_Be_A_Bear_024.jpg

Nah, rimini riddle, the one posted by Dolorous, that was it. I REMEMBER IT DOLOROUS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Chocky used to freak me out. Anyone remember this? I think it was on ITV, some kid used to have this weird oddly shaped spirit thingy appear in the corner of his/her room...weird :)

Chocky was awesome. We got it in Australia. Same guy who did Day of the Triffids apparently.

Mine to add would be Tripods.

Dolorous wrote: »

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

You just need Cher now and you have a hit movie.

Ulysses didnt scare me, but I used to get really sad at the intro when all his friends were hanging there like they were dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Roy Cropper from Coronation Street. Could never put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Holopimp

The Incredible Hulk from the 70s tv series. I used to hide behind the sofa and still shiver at the thought of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Your one off 101 dalmations..cant think of her name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Cruella DeVille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Cruella DeVille?

The Whirligig Witch from Fortycoats creeped me out a bit. But not as much as when I saw Slightly Bonkers in The Snapper wearing a terrifying jumper.

• Advertisement

Evil Edna from Willo the Wisp.

evil-edna.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Catweazle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

Evil Edna from Willo the Wisp.

evil-edna.jpg

+1 also Crow from wanderly wagon. The music fromthe hulk used to make me cry, could not even attempt to watch the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Mumra from the thundercats!

mum-ra1.jpg:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Jesus yes!!!!! :eek: *runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SarahMary

I'd forgotten about the Whirlygig Witch. Just youtubed her. You're right, she's still scary:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The witch in Fortycoats. And Ronald McDonald too (not a tv star as such), i used to wake up and he'd be on my wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Ruu wrote: »
    The intro alone was enough!

That's unbelievably creepy... what the hell were schedulers on in the 70s?

Not as creepy as the weird proto-magic realism of Monkey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

No 1 has to be the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang....he was a professional ballet dancer in real life....creepy little man...couldn't bear it when the two stupid little fcukers went running out looking for jam tarts and stuff...'don't do it Jeremy and Jemima!!!'
    No one else in the world probably remembers this but in an episode of 'Pigs In Space' from 'The Muppet Show' there was a monster creature floating outside the window of the space ship...'Chop Liver' was his name:o..scary b*stard!
    Another creepy character was policeman in the 'Golden An' sketch from Seseme St. Check him out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpjH1WcWOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I know it's a film and book but any of the witches in The Witches scared the bejaysus out of me. Especially after I had a bath because they could only smell clean children. No cheese and crackers for me tonight or I'll have nightmares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

301obrb.png

It. I saw the film on tv.. so I guess it's a tv character?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

victoriaa wrote: »
    301obrb.png

It. I saw the film on tv.. so I guess it's a tv character?

that still freaks me out and im 28! when i scrolled down and saw it i nearly shat myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

mr_blobby.jpg
    Mr. Blobby...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I was scared of my **** of Dougal in the Magic Roundabout still cant say why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

The beggining credits of the old Bionic woman used to freak the shit outta me, where she dies and comes back to life...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

that use to be on sunday evenings??

oldly enough some of them story lines were freaky,, who was the chap with the black hair and mustache, wasn't he some sort of baddie? was there a character called brendan or brenda??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

The Child Catcher

The Incredible Hulk not David I liked David

The Monkeys on Wheels that could fly in The wizard of Oz [shudders still]

The Witch of the same movie

Agustus Gloop & Mike tv's Mothers in Willy wonka made me appreciate my Mammy no end!
    [I knew slugworth was good really]

Aonghus McNally off irish kids tv used to freak me out so bad I'd turn off the tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

The witch in the wizard of oz, and forty coats and his fifty pockets. I used to feel sorry for the piccarooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

Tommy Tiernan in the Morbegs!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

The child catcher....... argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Most of the adults in the film, 'Oliver'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

Zebedee from the Magic Roundabout.

3662d1238665775-spring-pictures-zebedee.jpg

And the bit at the end of the Thriller video when he looks back to the camera and his eyes are yellow :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Everyone out of Coronation Street :/

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Wanderly Wagon.....the whole dam show scared the crap outta me!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Poutbutton wrote: »
    Aonghus McNally off irish kids tv used to freak me out so bad I'd turn off the tv!

Funny story, I was at The Darkness gig in Vicar St a few years ago and found myself dancing hectically with Aonghus . . . . AWKWARD

OT The opening credits for Tales of the unexpected :eek:, Aunt Sally and the winking weatherman Gerry something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I *accidently* watched It on video as a kid, didn't think much of clowns before that..Think seeing Dumbo as a 4 or 5 year old put me off, still haven't watched IT since.
    One of my brothers was terrified every time David Banner turned into the hulk, was the eyes that did it...he was also terrified of the Ribena berries from the add, had a nightmare about them:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

the dwarf in the german series the singing ringing tree that was shown in the seventies on bbc, i`m in my 40`s now and the little f@%ker still scares me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

not as a kid.. but looking back how freaking creepy looking is Bosco..his voice is far to high pitched...suppose someone does have there hand up his arse:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Podge used to terrify me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

looks like miley from glenroe

• Advertisement
Advertisement