Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestant Republicans during the troubles

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As per earlier comments some background information or source material would help add interest to the thread rather than a list of names or opinions.

BEAUCHAMP BAGENAL HARVEY
    From Burke's Irish Family Records (ca 1975): Harvey, page 560:
    Beauchamp Bagenal Harvey was a founder and leader ( with Wolfe Tone, Lord Edward FitzGerald etc) of The Society of United Irishmen. Arrested and imprisoned at the outbreak of the 1798 Rebellion in Wexford. He was released by the rebels when they entered the town. He commanded United Forces in Wexford, fought the Battle of New Ross on 5 June 1798. On their defeat he fled to the Saltee Islands but was recaptured by the loyalist army, and hanged together with Matthew Keogh and Father Roche off Wexford Bridge on 1 July 1798. Their heads were later impaled on pikes over the courthouse in Wexford. His estates were confiscated under the Act of Attainder, 6 Oct 1798.

Beauchamp Bagenal Harvey lived with, but did not marry Elizabeth Smith who was a local girl from the Mayglass area, near Bargy, by whom he had two sons (born ca 1775 -1780). She became ill and moved to her sister in England with the two children. Bagenal then secretly married Judith Dockrell.
    [Research by Jean Harvey Roberts, Australia ]

JOHN BOXWELL

There are several differing accounts as regards John Boxwell, unless there were more than 2 John Boxwells in the rebellion, but I have been unable to identify a second John who died in 1798:

1. John lost his life due to wounds in the Battle of New Ross as a leader of one of the rebel units in the what is known as "The People's Rising", a rebellion in 1798. The story of this battle with its devastating losses is told in Daniel Gahan's "The People's Rising, Wexford, 1798."

2. From The Wexford Gentry, p. 41: "Apparently John was a Trinity student, who became embroiled in the politics of the time and fell under the influence of Wolfe Tone and the United Irishmen, as did his cousin Bagenal Harvey of Bargy Castle. He left Trinity and joined the army where he was trained as a gunner. He retired early and went home to farm. When the rebellion broke out in Wexford [he] joined the rebels. He was killed at the Battle of Ross, manning an artillery field piece. It is said that though severely wounded, he insisted on being tied to his gun and continued firing at the enemy until the insurgent army retreated. He was then put on his horse and tied to prevent his falling off. He got as far as the rebel camp of Carrigbyrne and died there."
    Susannah [his wife] was the ancestress of many notable Boxwells. She had moved to Wexford at the outbreak of the Rebellion (1798), for safety, and the first intimation she had of her husband's death was the arrival of his blood splattered horse, which had made its way home from Carrigbyrne and was brought to Wexford by a workman. It is said that, although she was six months pregant, she gathered up her three children and drove out to Carrigbyrne to look for her husband's body. She then drove to Butlerstown, her cousin's residence, and stayed there until the birth of her daughter Ann.

3. From "The Year of the Liberity" by Thomas Pakenham Part III, Ch 2, p 206:
    The first was led by a young Protestant farmer, called Boxwell, who had formerly served in the Royal Irish Artillery. [p 84, see James Alexander: Some Account of the first Apparent Symptoms of the Late rebellion in the Co of Kildare ... with a succinct Narrative of some of the most remarkable personages in the Rise and Progress of the Rebellion in the Co of Wexford ...... Dublin 1800]

4. Thomas Cloney: A personal Narrative of the Transactions in the Co Wexford, in which the author was engaged, during the Awful Period of 1798, Dublin 1832. page 39 & 41:
    Boxwell fired one or two shells "with tolerable judgement" it was said by loyalists (James Alexander p 84). Then he was badly wounded by his own gun crew's bungling, and, unable to stand, had himself tied to the gun till he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Really this thread has veered off topic as there is no comparison between 1798 and the post 1969 'troubles', and the number of Protestants involved on the Republican side would have been far smaller percentage wise in the latter. Back in '98 there was significant Protestant involvement on the rebel side - chiefly amongst Northern Presbyterians - and I certainly doubt that there were many Presbyterian IRA supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

paky wrote: »
    I remember reading about a guy who was leader of the INLA at one stage during the troubles and he was murdered specifically because of this. His father was in the British army and his family background was unionist i think. Are there any other instances where protestants were involved on the republican side during the troubles? Joe Cahill mentions in his book that they had a cell called the 'prod squad' but somehow i dont believe this is true.

I've just skimmed the thread twice and didn't see the 'Prod Squad' explained so apologies if I'm repeating someone else, not having read the book myself could it have been a local nickname for a group which had one or two prominent (as in prominent within the cell) 'prods'.

On the threads side tracking to earlier history I see everybody else's examples and raise you Luke Gardiner II, aka Lord Mountjoy, killed at the battle of New Ross on the Government side and described by Beresford as 'the first great advocate for' the cause of the Catholics as he was the main mover behind the Catholic relief acts of 1778 and 1782, not quite a Republican (my reading is he would be more of a patriot in the eighteenth century sense) but still part of the ideological athmosphere of the time. (the source for this is a letter from Beresford who was chief commisioner of the revenue to Lord Auckland printed as part of a facsimile pack by the PRONI - I think its o.o.p. but you may find copies on amazon or ebay).

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Stephen Rae , the actor is a Presbyterian Republican as are all his family . Sean Oliver of Sinn Fein . Billy Leonard was Sinn Fein might have resigned , wrote a book lately called Towards a United Ireland . Former Unionist Councillor Harvey Bicker is now a Republican and has joined Fianna Fail .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Delancey wrote: »
    That was an interesting case , the guy was called Steven something or other and had worked as journalist in the Irish Times before leaving to take up ministry as a clergyman.
    He was subsequently killed in a robbery at his presbytery ,

Just wish I could recall the full name of the clergyman....

Rev. Stephen Hilliard, nephew of Rev. Robert Hilliard, a Church of Ireland clergyman from Killarney, who died fighting for the Spanish Republic. The latter was an ordained clergyman who later turned atheist, and incidentally boxed for Ireland in the 1924 Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

How can anyone term a member of the INLA murder gang as Republican. This is a gang that went into Darkley church in Armagh and murdered innocent people at prayer because they were Protestants.
    Sectarian bigots would be the correct term for them

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    How can anyone term a member of the INLA murder gang as Republican. This is a gang that went into Darkley church in Armagh and murdered innocent people at prayer because they were Protestants.
    Sectarian bigots would be the correct term for them

I came across this interesting thread last night while doing some research and decided to mention some Protestants who were active in Republicanism during or towards the end of the troubles . Straight away there is a Troll in trying to derail it . If you want a discussion ( yet again ) on loyalists murdering Catholics and/or Republicans killing Protestants , why don`t you start a thread on the tragic subject !

Btw another 2 Protestant Republicans come to mind , Sam Porter who was a Unionist , went to England where the locals constantly referred to him as "Paddy" and he came home to Belfast a Republican . Also there is a Protestant Minister , the Reverend David Frazer , originally from the North but now living in Drogheda who is involved with Sinn Fein , I don`t know if he was involved with them during the troubles though .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about turning this thread on its head by asking.....were there any catholics involved on the loyalist side??

i'm sure one or two over the years would have liked to get revenge on the provos & inla after punishment beating/knee-capping and the like

fryup wrote: »
    how about turning this thread on its head by asking.....were there any catholics involved on the loyalist side??

i'm sure one or two over the years would have liked to get revenge on the provos & inla after punishment beating/knee-capping and the like

Well there was and is , the uda in Larne and Carrickfergus have a large amount , the top uda drug dealer in Carrick that is involved with them is Catholic . Also the lvf have a lad from South Belfast and 2 lads from Lurgan , their mother was an SDLP Councillor . Don`t known if any of them got involved to get revenge particularly in Carrick and Larne where their are small Nationalist communities . They are mainly involved with them to cover their criminality , the ones in Larne are called the Irish Brigade and are connected to the uda through drugs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I came across this interesting thread last night while doing some research and decided to mention some Protestants who were active in Republicanism during or towards the end of the troubles . Straight away there is a Troll in trying to derail it . If you want a discussion ( yet again ) on loyalists murdering Catholics and/or Republicans killing Protestants , why don`t you start a thread on the tragic subject !

Btw another 2 Protestant Republicans come to mind , Sam Porter who was a Unionist , went to England where the locals constantly referred to him as "Paddy" and he came home to Belfast a Republican . Also there is a Protestant Minister , the Reverend David Frazer , originally from the North but now living in Drogheda who is involved with Sinn Fein , I don`t know if he was involved with them during the troubles though .

Was going to mention Reverend David Frazer, the hostility which some cretinous sections of the protestant community (not any locals, only a few diehards and some based in the six) treat him with is outrageous. This was especially evident when he very reasonably suggested in a letter to some church associated gazette that COI churches in the north should not fly British flags

Also... http://sluggerotoole.com/2006/02/22/frazer_vs_frazer_love_ulster_chapter_201/

There are many protestants who are republicans, I know a few personally as well as my own family (who'll I'll not name because they are not public figures).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I knew a Protestant from South Derry who told me that he had a Protestant Republican neighbour, and that up to at least the sixties there were a number of such families around Toomebridge, in adjacent parts of Antrim and South Derry, apparently a throw-back to 1798. This was corroborated by something I heard on an RTE programme about Northern Ireland. I wonder what became of them when the troubles began.
    There doesn't seem to be much coverage in this thread of Protestants who are/were constitutional Nationalists, such as Ivan Cooper etc.. I'm not aware that any or many such in recent times were monarchists. Henry Harrison ( 1867-1954 ) was the last surviving Irish Parliamentary Party M.P. to have served under Parnell's leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

feargale wrote: »
    I knew a Protestant from South Derry who told me that he had a Protestant Republican neighbour, and that up to at least the sixties there were a number of such families around Toomebridge, in adjacent parts of Antrim and South Derry, apparently a throw-back to 1798. This was corroborated by something I heard on an RTE programme about Northern Ireland. I wonder what became of them when the troubles began.
    There doesn't seem to be much coverage in this thread of Protestants who are/were constitutional Nationalists, such as Ivan Cooper etc.. I'm not aware that any or many such in recent times were monarchists. Henry Harrison ( 1867-1954 ) was the last surviving Irish Parliamentary Party M.P. to have served under Parnell's leadership.

there's not alot of protestants in toomebridge now, around 3% i think, i don't know if it was different in the 60's

Advertisement